Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

I've justed picked up a Nexus 6P and it is now provisioned with Sprint.

I used to tether all the time with my old Samsung S3 and a Wifi Tether app that did its job.

How do I do the same with with the 6P? I'm seeing "bootloader + systemless su + wifi tether router (from google play)".
There are some guides with bootloader + systemless su out there..

Is there anything else I should be worried with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

It's pretty easy to just root and enable native tethering, but the 6P is immensely better with the Pure Nexus rom that adds a few nice bits missing from the stock android experience without adding bloat.

It is also pre rooted unless you want to use Android Pay which requires a few hoops to go through to just remove the included SuperSU and install it in systemless mode and making sure you use the correct GAPPS.

Native Tether is Immensely better than using any tether app.

If you need some help with this, let me know and I'll get you some direct links once I'm at a pc again.

Yeah, I'd be happy to take some recommendations.
I don't really care about Android Pay.

If you have links to the different things you would like me to install, I'd be down.
I'm more of a web dev, so a lot of the Android terminology is pretty dense to me.

But thank you for your help!

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

Thank you for the tips!

For some reason the Toolkit was unable to unlock the bootloader, but I figured out how to do that myself.

After after some trial and error:
* Toolkit
* TWRP Recovery
* Backup
* Download Nexus/Layers, gAPPS, vendor.img
* Use TWRP to install all three
* Reboot

Native tethering seems to work like a champ. Thanks!

Now to futz with the apps and restore settings.. but this is a nice, clean, non bloated experience.

Thank you for saving me from the Samsung experience, is what I'm saying.

Question: what do I do with OTA updates? New versions of Android, etc?

Kenji Jenkins fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 11, 2016

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

This is for the 128GB iPhone 7 that my wife wants to upgrade to. What is the $10 service credit? Any why doesn't buying the phone at full price show that my bill would be lowered by $10 per month to compensate?

If I purchase a sprint compatible iphone 7 separately and then bring it to Sprint for activation will I be able to get my monthly bill reduced?

Currently we are on an Everything Data 1500 plan with a $20 discount per month due to an employee discount from her work. (if this is relevant)

This is just paying for the phone. Your plan is separate and additional.

The phone is $750. You can choose to buy it outright or rent it (for 17 or 18 months).
If you want to buy it, you can pay for it all at once, or spread it out in 24 payments. ($100 plus 24 payments of $27.03 is $750)

Sprint is offering you a (small) deal if you finance/rent the phone through them. That's all the $10 credit is going to be.
They want you to take advantage of this deal so that they can lock you into a rental/sales contract (which probably has additional terms)

Of course, you can choose to buy a phone elsewhere. As long as it will work for Sprint, that is not a problem

Ideally, you should be able to keep your plan after switching the phone. This was not a problem when I did it, but I did it in person.

So basically: figure out the phone you want, how you want to pay it. The plan is separate.
It's a little less nice in the old days of "free phone with a 24 mo contract," but phones are too expensive for that now.

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

My previous phone died.

I picked up a new Moto X4, and decided not to root it.
PDANet+ works for me versus Sprint, but it's not as seamless as "Android creates a plain hotspot that anyone can connect with"

If you mostly tether from one laptop to your phone, there's a PDANet client that communicates to the phone via tether.
It works well.

If you need to connect more than one laptop, the PDANet client has some type of "share mode", which seems to work.

I'm sure that there are other use cases this may fail on, but for a non-root solution with Sprint, it does the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

I could have sworn there is one app that does work to enable it without Root

I am on a Moto x4 with Sprint, and am currently using a paid version of PDANet+ for tethering to my laptop.
It does not require root (but it does require you to open the .apk yourself, instead of getting the App from the Play Store)

It's not nearly as seamless as root+native hotspot, but it does the job.