Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
How does Google Voice do SMS? Will it be more reliable and on time then regular SMS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

This summed it up pretty well for me:

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-beta-testing-google-voice-integration

That doesn't exactly explain much. I am going to guess that instead of SMSs going from "sender to carrier to other carrier to receiver", with GV they go from "sender to carrier to other carrier to GV to receiver"?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Does anyone know if GV SMSs are more reliable? I'm curious if using GV will decrease the amount of lost SMSs or delayed ones.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
One thing I have noticed is that GV can get some SMSs faster than regular. Now only if they could program a way to keep both regular and GV notifications allowed and silence the other once the message arrived.

Astiesan posted:

Doesn't the Shift have a 100% locked down bootloader as well? Poking around the internet it doesn't look like they have a fully working root for it yet.

The Shift had full root almost two months ago I think, its got CM7 which is good enough for me.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I don't quite understand why Sprint is killing off so many perks with the iphone soon to be released. If they still had all their perks then I'm sure more people would be willing to join sprint and get an iphone.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

powderific posted:

The ATT plan is ridiculously expensive compared to Sprint's.

It seems like everyone elses plans are expensive compared to Sprint. I've contemplated switching to get different phones but pay 30+ more a month and not even getting unlimited data sounds so ridiculous to me.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Looks like Sprint is officially killing off unlimited Mobile Broadband and Hotspot in November. Link

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

halokiller posted:

Does anyone know what's the deal with text messages arriving days later? That's happened to me a couple of times already. (one which involved half of a text coming in days later after the first half)

Any way this is fixable?

Not really, I've had it happen plenty of times. It can either be issues on Sprint's end or the carrier the other person has. I use google voice which sometimes lets me see texts before they get sent to the phone but that has even failed me.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I don't quite understand everyone's issue with Sprint's version of the One X. The sprint version has a kickstand and a SD card yet more people are complaining how ugly it looks. I really dont care what the back of the phone looks like. I mean this isn't at all like the HTC Hero, that got changed completely.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Matlock posted:

I'm 16mo since my last upgrade, on Sero Premium. Am I likely to be able to buy out my contract?

I think it varies by region. Just try calling and see if you are eligible. Since you are on Sero I don't know if you should talk to retentions or the sero line though.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Why doesn't it get the time zone over the wireless signal like a normal phone?

I think it does. It only asks me about my time zone when I'm in my basement with no signal.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

rock2much posted:

Is it a Sprint thing or an Android/Apple thing that all messages from iPhone users come in as MMS messages that I have to "download"? Is there a way to fix that?

Are you saying that when someone with an iPhone sends you a message its always as a MMS? That is definitely not normal and whoever is sending it to you is doing it.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I don't know where to post this but I feel as if it is a Sprint issue more than anything.

I have a EVO LTE running CM 10.1 and within the last 2 months my phone will randomly not notify me of a call. The only way I know I missed a call is when GV tells me that I have a voicemail. If I pull up google voice it will not even show me that I had missed a call. If GV showed the missed call plus the voicemail then I would assume it is with my phone/rom but since GV doesnt even see the call I have a feeling that it is Sprint/Google. Right after I find out I miss a call I've tried calling myself and the call always goes through.

This happen to anyone else?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

fknlo posted:

Voice is showing no missed calls for about the last month or so, which I know isn't true.

I would bet my money that there are issues with Sprint/Google. I checked around the GV Sprint help section and found this which seems to be just like what we are dealing with.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I know carriers use SMS to send voicemail alerts to your phone (Which you don't actually see) but do carriers use SMS for any other alerts? My pebble watch picked up a SMS from a 5 digit number that had the words "you have voicemail" in it along with a string of characters and numbers. My EVO LTE showed no messages or anything. I checked my google voice and Sprint VM which were both empty. I got worried for a second thinking that my google voice got messed up and had everything routing back to my sprint VM. What happened?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Has anyone had issues with text messaging? I have had sprint since 2006 and SMS has always been finicky for me. Sometimes I'd get messages an hour later or never get them at all. Yesterday I sent a group message out at 1030am and got all 10 replies all at once at 11pm. I never seem to have problems sending them out, its always been receiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

I usually see issues like that when you're roaming or just in a weak service area (where it may flip back and forth between Sprint and roaming). Some people it's on and off for, but we have customers in some areas that get issues pretty consistently.

It's been better lately, but I've had issues with texts sent from home going through a day or two later in the past. I get 1-2 bars in most of my house and roam in rooms with no windows. I think doing the Google Voice integration helped, too.

I've had GV integration since it was released and it has helped quite a bit. I've been able to use GV to diagnose like if it doesn't see a message sent to me that means it has something to do with the carriers. I know my house is relatively low signal but doesn't having GV basically negate having bad signal? As long as I can check GV then I can tell if I got a message.

I know MMS isn't done through GV but it still surprises me that it took twelve hours for me to get the group message because I drove past a Sprint Tower later that day and still didn't get the messages.