Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Can someone explain to me the point of using Google Voice? I mean...what's so great about having my calls, voicemails, and SMS go into a different app rather than the native one on my phone?

I can see a use for having GV if you want to have two phone numbers, say one personal one business, or something...but I have no need for that, and it seems that with this integration dealie, that would go away and you'd only have one number (either your current Sprint #, or a GV number (if you already have a GV #, do you have to use that one, or can you make a new one?)

Edit: Holy crap, I just saw that Sprint reduced services map...I think I might get totally F-ed in the A...if I lose, say, 3G coverage, is that sufficient grounds to terminate my contract early with no fee? I mean, I'm paying for 3G (Hell, I'm paying for 4G for that matter, and I can't use that at all where I am,) but when the coverage changes and I can't get 3G or any location specific services and I'm stuck with nothing but voice and SMS, that's not cool.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at Apr 26, 2011 around 18:08

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

So I guess I'll take the dive and merge my GV and Sprint #'s (I got a GV number long ago just because...never did anything with it.) What I'm most excited for is being able to do SMS on my PC easily when I'm at home, and getting SMS on my phone over wifi, since I get no signal at all at work.

Though it's my understanding that I have to use the GV app to do wifi SMS, I can't use Handcent? Should I just ditch Handcent all together? I would miss pop-up reply too much...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ok, seeing as it's un-do-able (it can be undone, right?) how do I go about this Sprint+GV integration? I have a GV # (just never used it for anything,) and the GV app...I played around in the app today but didn't notice anything about integration, so I do it from the Sprint side of things?

Edit: I go here: http://www.google.com/googlevoice/sprint/ and it just says to put in my email to be notified when it's available...but how do some people already have it?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I still can't get GV and Sprint integration yet. I have an option to sheck for availability on the GV page, and when I do, I get this message:

quote:

Unfortunately, Google Voice cannot be enabled on this Sprint phone. Please contact Sprint for more details as to why this cannot be enabled.

Maybe it's still in the "rolling out" stages. Since I live in an area cell companies could care less about, it might take a while...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

rattrap posted:

If it provides the option to check, I think you have access. I didn't see that option until I could integrate.

Well...I can't integrate, so I clearly don't have access yet.

rattrap posted:

I know they listed situations where you can't, like if it's a corporate account?

Nope, not corporate or anything, just a regular Simply Everything plan...the only odd thing is that I have a 15% discount through my employer via some special deal they have with Sprint...but that couldn't possibly be the problem, could it?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

TLG James posted:

Does anyone know if the Nexus S has a night clock feature like the Pre? That is about the one thing I seriously need if I buy a cell phone.

What is a "night clock feature"? Is is, like, a dimmed screen with a clock for use at night? I'm sure there's an app or widget that can do something like that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

drat it, still can't get full GV integration. I can get it to do my voicemail like regular GV, but it still says I'm ineligible for full Sprint + GV integration...guess I'll have to cal Sprint or something.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Wouldn't you have to call Google and not Sprint? Does it actually say ineligible somewhere? Mine doesn't seem to reference the integration anywhere whatsoever. I too am getting upset that it hasn't rolled out to me.

The exact message is:

quote:

Unfortunately, Google Voice cannot be enabled on this Sprint phone. Please contact Sprint for more details as to why this cannot be enabled.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

OptimusMatrix posted:

Ok so I just realized that Google Voice does not have an empty all button for the trash so if you've been using it as long as I have be prepared to click about a thousand times to clean out your trash folder.

It's the same way on the G-Mail app. No option to "select all" and then delete them en masse. I think it's Google's attempt to being you into it's "never delete anything! Every message/email is important! Just archive it!" philosophy.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

brc64 posted:

It basically makes my old Voice number worthless.

Isn't that the point? It "merges" the two so you only have one or the other.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Yakadan posted:

It looks like Engadget's done some investigation on this whole GV fiasco.

Well, that explains why I can't activate it on my phone:

quote:

The restriction appears to extend to personal accounts that receive corporate and education discounts, however, which should not be the case.

I have a corporate/education discount, so it gets treated like a corporate account when it shouldn't be.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Woo! Finally got GV integration working! It's only been a few hours but I love it already...being able to text from my computer is awesome.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm hoping the Evo 3D launch results in a swath of people selling their Evo 4G's in an effort to "offset" the cost, making them go for a little cheaper than they are now, because I really need to ditch my Epic, but obviously since I have an Epic I am nowhere near an upgrade date...

(By a little cheaper I mean I'd like to spend ~$200....yeah, probably not going to happen.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Sort of cross-posted from the Android thread, but:

I have terrible Sprint service at my condo, despite their coverage map saying it should be perfect. (Honestly, it's the biggest population center in the state, why is it so lovely?) I get between 0 and 1 bars...but VZW has fantastic service there...any way to force my phone to roam? Or maybe convince Sprint to give me a femtocell or whatever they're called, even though according to them I should be getting 5-6 bars?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I just got a (used) Evo 4G, and it didn't activate and now I'm stuck with two phones that can't make calls.

I did the automatic online thing, entered the HEX code right, and it stayed at the "activating your new phone" webpage for like five minutes, and it said if it didn't work in 30 seconds, to click, so I clicked, and now I get a page that says:

quote:

If you can't make calls or your phone was previously activated on our network and used by another customer, you will need to complete some additional steps. Open your new phone's programming instructions and follow the directions.
You may need to enter the following information in your new phone to complete the activation process:

6-digit programming code:

MDN (Phone Number):

555-555-5555

MSID(IMSI):

Print this info

If you are programming a used phone, look in the manual programming instructions for your steps. If you don't find the instructions to program a used phone, follow the steps below to clear or reset your phone to its factory settings. Important note: This will remove all personal information, including texts, pictures, contacts, applications, etc.

To program a used phone:

On the dial pad, press ##786 followed by an additional # symbol
Follow any on-screen prompts to Reset your phone
Enter the 6-digit code
Select Reset
Confirm any on-screen Reset to default messages
After the reset, press ## followed by the 6-digit code, followed by an additional # symbol (Example: ##123456#) Note: The last # entered will not show on the display

That method did not work...nothing happens when I dial "##786" and then another #. It seems to almost 'lock up' the dialer. I can't input any more numbers, it doesn't go to the "active call" screen, I can't do anything in the dialer, I can only exit it by pushing home.

Edit: Oh, wait, I think I got it...have to update profile in settings...

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at Jul 16, 2011 around 01:29

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

To continue the "hey, we randomly got WIMAX" discussion, parts of Burlington, VT got some WIMAX action via CLEAR sometime in the last month:

http://www.clear.com/coverage?zip=05401

And guess where I live? If you guessed "one of those small, squarish areas that, despite being surrounded on all sides by WIMAX service somehow get none of their own," you're right!

I also work in an area with no coverage, again, one of the areas that's surrounded on all sides by coverage, no less. And I work for the university...you'd think all the staff and students there would prompt some service...parts of campus have it, according to that map...but not all...and it's shoddy coverage, to boot...I was at the gym the other day, which says it is in the covered area, but no 4G.

So I think I've had maybe ten minutes of 4G use on my EVO...and since odds are I'll upgrade to the Galaxy Nexus when that comes, and LTE won't be here for...I'm guessing at least two years, I'll never really experience 4G on that phone, either!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Man, I was thinking I'd be SOL trying to sell my used Epic 4G, but I just checked eBay, and gently used ones with minor cosmetic wear (which I would classify mine as,) are averaging over $100, usually close to $150.

In contrast, the Evo 4G is averaging less than $100...WTF?!

I can only imagine there's a decent contingent of people who really want hardware keyboards?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

When my contract is up for renewal, and I get my discount, but instead buy a phone through Amazon wireless and re-up my contract that way, does that still use the discount I have sitting around?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

A CDMA Galaxy Note on Sprint?

I'm guessing no, only because it would require a big redesign...not just TWO new radios (the CMDA and LTE ones,) but also a new CPU, since the current one can't do LTE.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Blakkout posted:

Is there a free photo gallery app that displays all of my pictures in one directory by default? The stock app is pretty annoying.

You'd get a better response asking in the Android App Thread.

Unless you have something other an Android...since, like 95% of talk here in about Android I just assumed. Somewhere there's an iPhone thread (or two or three) and a Blackberry thread, and probably a WinMo thread.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

You shouldn't have a $350 ETF, those didn't start until September. I got my line in August and my buyout is $165.

I was a brand new Sprint customer in August of 2010...I wonder how much it would be for me to "but out"/pay what's left of my prorated ETF fee.

I'm most likely ditching Sprint entirely...getting a GNex straight from Google and getting a StraightTalk plan. I looked at my usage, and I average under 500 MB a month in cell data, and ~50 minutes (and that's total, mobile-to-mobile, night+weekend, and anytime.) It just doesn't make sense for me to pay $80 a month, when I can get all I need for less than $50.

Plus, everything I've heard is that the GSM GNex is better than the CDMA, though that may just be Verizon's CDMA version, not Spint's.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I was just told in the main Android thread that Sprint's ETF is the same (i.e., as low as it's going to get) once you're within five months of your contract date...is this true?

I have to decide whether to pay the ETF to leave for Straight Talk, or wait until July...my Evo is getting more and more ornery lately.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

I was just told in the main Android thread that Sprint's ETF is the same (i.e., as low as it's going to get) once you're within five months of your contract date...is this true?

I have to decide whether to pay the ETF to leave for Straight Talk, or wait until July...my Evo is getting more and more ornery lately.

Quoting myself, hoping for an answer.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Before I had said I was dead set on ditching Sprint for an unlocked Nexus for pre-paid, but I found out VZW is turning on LTE here on May 17th...and the VZW GNex is only $50, compared to $100 for Sprint ($150 Amazon and $50 Google Wallet credit.)

Keeping Sprint means there's no hassle with changing my number...though the whole GV integration confuses me...I think if I ditched Sprint, I'd have to get a new number from VZW/pre-paid, and then pay to port that to my GV number if I wanted to keep using it as before with the same number.

But on the other hand, there's no word on when Sprint's LTE will get here, and maybe the Network Vision stuff to get better 3G will arrive within the year...maybe.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Keeping with the SpeedTest bandwagon:

The two really slow ones are from my friend's place, about 2 miles from where I love. The fast ones are all from work. I forgot to get a test from home, but I'm always on wifi there, so I don't care as much.

The one at my friend's house is more typical of what I get around here. My office is right next to both a large hospital and decent sized university, so they probably have extra coverage. Especially since the hospital's on-call paging and cell-system uses Sprint.

(And unrelated, but why is there no easy way to get an image from Google Drive to imgur? I had to save it to my harddrive and upload it...even when I shared the image publicly on Drive, it never linked straight to the actual picture, just a webpage that runs a script to display it, so right clicking to instant upload to imgur won't work, and there's no URL to copy...I couldn't even get a selective screen-shot to work on the Drive page.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

datajosh posted:

So when do we start making bets on the next Sprint perk to be removed or price to be increased?

I don't see unlimited data hanging around much longer, honestly...

They'll keep it for a while, since Verizon just announced that people who previously were grandfathered in on unlimited data NO LONGER WILL BE if they change plans or phones in any way. So they advertise the unlimited data aggressively, see how many jump ship from VZW, then wait a year before introducing their economical data plans to help you save money!

The data plan will now only cost $20!*

*For the lowest tier, up to 2 gigs, no LTE.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

peepsalot posted:

I'm really regretting getting a Galaxy Nexus. I thought going with a Nexus was a safe bet, but every loving call I make, the person on the other end complains about the audio cutting out. Is there any chance that some firmware update is gonna fix this poo poo or is the hardware just worthless garbage?

Try exchanging it for a new one at a Sprint store. Sounds like a hardware defect.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

nate fisher posted:

I know it would never happen but I would love to see Android end (or limit) some of the fragmentation that is hurting it.

Well, hopefully the latest news about Google getting multiple manufacturers to make a line of Nexus phones will help. As long as they have to stick to stock Android, it could be a big boon.

Of course, they would have to sell...but Google is just plain bad at marketing. But if Google lets HTC and Samsung not only make, but sell, their own Nexus phones, they will get a lot more spotlight. And God only knows what this Motorola merger thing will lead to...a Moto Nexus? I don't know...from what I understand, the only good thing Moto has going for it, hardware wise, is cell radios.

gently caress it, I got a new idea: get every manufacturer to just give the one thing their best at for the Ultimate Nexus.
Screen from Samsung or HTC
Cell radio chips from Moto
Case from Sony

LG can promptly go gently caress themselves. Have they ever made a single good Android phone?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Both the Galaxy Nexus and Evo LTE have issues right now, so no, there is no cler cut win.

Clearly the Galaxy S III will save us all!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I don't know if it's been mentioned, or if anyone else is aware, but the Galaxy Nexus is now only $100 if you get it from Amazon. (After subsidy, of course.)

If you're a NEW customer it drops to only $80.

And there's still that $10 in Google Wallet credit.

Man, it's getting harder and harder to decide between the Nexus and the SIII...I know, I know, I should get the GNex. But in the other thread it was mantioned it might not be a bad idea to get an SIII, and when a new Nexus comes out in 6-9 months, sell it and use that cash to make the new Nexus cost only slightly more than if it was bought with a subsidy.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

GSM coverage where I live is ok, but Verizon's is the best by a mile...though I'm on Sprint, so...whoops!

But I can roam on theirs if I get no Sprint signal...though I wish there was a way to force it to roam if I have a crummy signal.

I actually considered going pre-paid and an unlocked GSM Gnex with a Straight Talk plan, but my data usage sometimes goes too high. I occasionally have to tether for work (because their too drat cheap to get me a cell modem thingy! ) so I need a reliable connection that doesn't care if I use several gigs a month.

And unrelated, but how come I can only get the 16 GB SIII on Amazon? I want the big ol' honkin' 32 GB, and it'd be cheaper through Amazon. (Well, in theory it would be, since all the other phones are.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

AFAIK you can only get the 32 GB model online or through telesales, right now at least. I'm not aware of them being in stores either. Actually, the only people I know who have them preordered them, and they came quite late.

But Amazon IS online...

I know what you mean.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

You can do that. Once your 2-year contract is up, you automatically go on a "month-to-mouth" plan (provided you don't buy a new, subsidized, phone.) So you could then cancel it in February no problem.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

tomguycot posted:

And there are even some features that are nice additions to vanilla android.

Swiping left/right to call/text in the contact list should be standard on Android now, as should toggles in the notification screen (though I think that one is with ICS/JB?)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Can someone tell me exactly how to change my PRL? I want to at least see if Verizon speeds are better than Sprint's here (99% sure they are.)

I have an Evo 4G, and I tried this method, but when I dial ##DIAG#, it rings, then I get a message saying the code is invalid.

Does that special code not work in CM7?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

gariig posted:

Correct, you need to flash to a Sense based ROM to update the PRL. When you flash back to CM7 the PRL update will stay

Ugh...that seems like a whole...thing. Don't know if I have the wherewithal to do that tonight...or ever...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I got a question about my account:

I've already decided that when my contract is up, I'm switching to a pre-paid plan with an unlocked Nexus. I've never gone over half a gig of data the entire two years I've had an Android phone, so there's no point in paying an extra $30 a month for the "unlimited data" that I have no need for, and is in fact slower than what I would get on a StraightTalk plan.

When I check my account online, it says my contract end date 9/3/12. My bill is all paid up, so in theory, that means I'm paid up to that date already, so I could cancel now and not get hit with an ETF? Of course, I'd be "losing" a month's worth of service I've already paid Sprint for, but I was just curious if that's how it worked, or if I had to pay for one more month (ie, the bill I'd get in September) to not get an ETF...

For that matter, even if I had one more month, is the ETF less than what that bill would be (~$75 after my discount?)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah, everyone keeps touting the prepaid carriers, but until Tmobile/ATT get rural presence, they're useless to me.

Ironically enough, near me, AT&T has the best rural coverage. AT&T didn't come to VT until 200...7?8? Anyway, they came in when they bought up Unicell (not sure if they bought them nationally or just regionally.) But Unicell had one good thing going for it: great coverage in all those rural VT areas, so when AT&T got their towers, they inherited the great rural coverage.

In theory, everything is getting upgraded to LTE for Sprint by the end of 2013, but we're at the bottom of the list, so what are the odds everything goes to schedule? So I don't feel like waiting one a half years for good speeds. And if Sprint surprises me and the NV and/or LTE arrive sooner than I thought, I'll come crawling back like a bird on it's belly.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

If anyone cares, I'm selling my Epic 4G (With CM9) over here. (Along with a lot of other, non-cellphone, crap.)

I'll also be selling my Evo 4G soon, once I get my new Nexus set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

How exactly do I port my number from Sprint to GV? I don't see that option anywhere in the settings.

Do I have to click the "Disable" option next to my number first before I can port it over? Or do I have to do it from "Sprint's" end? I thought there was just a little option in the GV settings that was like "Port your number to us!"

I found the help page for porting your number to GV, but that doesn't say how, it just goes into the nitty gritty of what to expect.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at Aug 17, 2012 around 13:40