Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Checking over my dad's account (which includes my mom and brother) I noticed that both my parents are up for a full upgrade ($150 off etc etc). My dad doesn't care much for upgrading his BB Bold and my mom's comfortable with her Curve. Would I be able to use my mom's upgrade to get my brother the Optimus S?

He's coming from my old Hero and I think an Optimus would be a nice upgrade that won't cost anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

goku chewbacca posted:

The Optimus S isn't much of an improvement and isn't worth burning an upgrade, in my opinion.Only really a faster GPU. You should try rooting the Hero and installing CyanogenMod7 and overclocking.

Or buy a eBay/Craigslist Optimus and selling the Hero. Might only cost you $50.

That's what I thought. My brothers on the latest CM7 nightly now so that works fine for him.

Would the TEP cover a replacement battery cover on the Hero at least? It doesn't bother him that much, but it bugs the hell out of me (it was my old phone and I still kinda love the thing). I'm kinda hoping it does, if not it's off to eBay/Craigslist or something.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 28, 2011

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

brc64 posted:

I'm pretty happy with CM7 right now, but has HTC said anything about a Gingerbread update for the EVO? They were one of the first to hop on board with Froyo, but I haven't heard a peep about Gingerbread. It seems surprising to me that the Droid X is going to get it first.

http://www.androidguys.com/2011/04/12/htc-evo-4g-htc-thunderbolt-receiving-gingerbread-q2/

That's the rumor I've heard when it comes to GB on the EVO.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Hahaha "HTC Sense version 1.00.000.0417771.651"

Oh well, can't have everything. Rooted one is being worked on now.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Wasn't the Sprint/GV thing supposed to happen on the 26th? What happened?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

Just got an Epic 4G from Radioshack.com for $50. Is this phone tits? I'm going from a Palm Pre, so I figure anything is better...

For $50 I'd say that's not bad. It's not really a bad phone, it's just you know, Samsung.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Got into the GV thing, went with making my Sprint number my GV number. Hopefully it's as cool as I think it is.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

If my dad bought the Epic from RadioShack under his number (he's the only one eligible for an upgrade) we could switch it over to my brother's number right? My dad doesn't care for Android and my brother could really use the upgrade from the Hero.

I know these Samsung phones aren't the best for certain things but for $50 that's a drat steal.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just came back from the Sprint store with my brothers new phone. We decided to ditch the Epic (for the best) and just upgrade to the Optimus S. I always thought the Optimus was $50 but apparently it's gone down to $20. Found out as well we could trade in the old Hero and get some money from that, we ended up with $17.

However the Sprint employee did something and was able to give us $40 for the Hero so it covered the cost of the Optimus and a cover for it. In total all I paid was about $2.75.

Messing a bit with the phone now and it's not that bad, it's definitely an improvement over the Hero. Plus since my brothers update is still in effect for November (we used my dad's upgrade to get the Optimus) he could get the EVO 3D or something by then.

All in all this was pretty drat good, and a steal I think.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

How is the htc evo? I won't be able to get the nexus after all. My only choice it's the evo or lg optimus s.

If those are your only choices get the EVO. It's nice, quick, easy to root, and has some nice roms as well.

I mean the Optimus S is very nice as well, but if you have the option to get an EVO do it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Even my store has them in stock already, so Sprint corporate stores will have them for anyone with EPRP.

For anyone with an IndividualData $69.99 base plan (not EPRP), the Sprint promo of 300 extra minutes is already in the system. No contract extension and it sticks as long as you don't change plans. If you want it just PM me your last name and cell #, I don't mind adding it for you. Or calling Sprint would do the trick as well.

So minutes go from 450 > 750, and Any Mobile Any Time still applies.

Sent you a PM on that promo thing. Thanks duders.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Ha no one in my family can text right now. It seems the network for SMS is down right now for us (we are in Knoxville, TN). Tired to call Sprint but one hell of a wait.

Same problem here. I don't really care about it now but my brother's p.mad about it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I'm rooted and running Fresh, will I be sent this update?

I think even on Fresh the update will come up, just don't accept it. Pretty sure Flipz will have Fresh 4 go into final by the end of the weekend or so.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

All this talk about the Arrive makes me kinda want to trade the EVO for one :sweatdrop:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is the Mango update out yet? I'll probably look for someone who wants to trade phones or something.
A friend of mine had Sprint replace his EVO for an Arrive when he busted it. I'd go for that if I could.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So it looks like the USB on my EVO 4G is borked. I thought maybe it was the outlet or the cable that was messed up but I tried a couple outlets and even tried my friends charger. The phone just won't charge at all and it's dead now.

Can I walk into a Sprint in the morning and get it replaced right there? I have the TEP and all that. I just really need a phone for this coming week.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Don't let them charge you for it. It happen to me last year and I had to pay $100 to replace it with TEP. It is my understanding now since it was such a big issue with the EVO that it should be free to replace/fix.

That's what I wanted to hear. I'll fix it up early in the morning.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So Sprint wasn't able to give me a new EVO as soon as I needed but the lady there did say I could get a Nexus S by Monday as opposed to waiting a week or so for the EVO.

I went for it Samsung and all. I hope I did the right thing. It didn't cost me anything so whatever.

Edit: How's the S anyways? It looks alright to me but how's the rooting and all that for it?

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 12, 2011

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sounds good then. Funny thing is that the EVO wants to charge just fine now. Seems like it doesn't want to leave. I dunno though I'd like a new phone to mess around with.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Are there any real good cases for the Nexus S? I feel like going all out on the new phone next week and getting a nice case for it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Nexus S kinda owns. Just wanted to add that in here.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

After like a week with that Nexus all it makes me want is my EVO back. I don't hate the phone but it's like missing an old friend, I need the EVO back somehow.

:smith:

EDIT: Sprint support is telling me the trade in for a Nexus is like $115. I don't want to pay $300 for the remainder of the EVO. It's not gonna happen. Oh well.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 23, 2011

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

You should consider switching to an Evo 3D then, it's similar but better in every way possible.

I would but I just don't have that much money to burn on a phone, I just moved into a new place and all my money is being put into it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Just curious what are missing from the EVO?

A working Youtube app :colbert:

Honestly I really miss the size (and screen) of the EVO. Plus I'm sure the Nexus doesn't pick up on stuff when I tap the screen as good as the EVO did. I'm not pissed off that I got a Nexus or anything it's a good phone in its own right but if given the option to go back to the EVO I would.

(I would have got the EVO as a refurb if I could get it as soon as I needed. Last week I needed a phone real bad, this week I don't.)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

nate fisher posted:

I haven't spent a lot of time with the Nexus S so I was curious as a EVO owner. I did notice the screen difference, but I felt like I could get use to it. That said I am so use to the EVO screen that I don't like the EVO 3D screen dimensions (I know same size overall but it is too long and not wide enough looking). When is your next upgrade date?

September 1, 2012 :smith:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I'l straight up trade my unlocked Evo for your Nexus S. let me know.

Edit: Sent you a PM with my contact info.

Cool beans :dance: sent you an email with my info.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Your choices are going to be Seesmic, Plume, Twitter for Android, Twicca, HootSuite, TweetDeck, UberSocial, and TweetCaster.

So just go ahead and try them all.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

All at once is the only way to go. It's what I do :smug:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

change my name posted:

I think the only time I've ever seen a sprint store that wasn't a kiosk was in manhattan...

We have a couple in the Orlando area that are regular stores. They do exist.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So my brother's $150 upgrade is coming up on 10/1. Wasn't there a way he could get it pushed up a little earlier? I remember doing it for mine (thanks again Duckman) and I wanted to see if we could get his in time for when his financial aid and our trip back down to Miami happens this weekend.

He wants to move from the Optimus S to the EVO 3D so if I could help him out and get his phone earlier he'd love it.

(I'd also be jealous as all hell since I can't get an EVO 3D, but whatever)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sprint is getting the iPhone. Now everyone can shut up about it I guess :dance:

EDIT:
http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/04/sprint-iphone-4s-announced-available-october-14/

quote:

As expected, Apple has added one more major US carrier to its iPhone lineup: Sprint. The Sprint iPhone 4S marks the beginning of the company’s “multibillion dollar gamble” to sell at least eight million iPhones a year and save itself from the downward slide that arguably began with the Nextel merger.

Specs on the Sprint iPhone 4S are identical to the Verizon version: EVDO for 3G, the A5 processor, 8-megapixel camera capable of shooting 1080p video, and the Retina Display. It will be available with 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB at prices ranging from $199 to $399 on October 14th. The Sprint iPhone 4S is also a world phone, including a GSM radio for data and voice outside the US. WiMAX 4G is not included, but given that no other carriers will have a 4G-enabled iPhone 4S, that’s not really a huge liability. Sprint will continue to offer its unlimited plan, sans data throttling or data caps — a differentiation the carrier surely hopes will help it poach enough customers to turn things around.

That leaves T-Mobile as the last of the big four US carriers to not offer the iPhone. In a post on T-Mobile’s corporate blog, Chief Marketing Office Cole Brodman said that T-Mobile thinks “the iPhone is a great device and Apple knows that we’d like to add it to our line-up.” That doesn’t look like it’s in the cards in the near future.

It remains to be seen whether or not the iPhone will help out Sprint as a company, but it’s certainly going to help out Sprint customers looking for an alternative to its Android offerings.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

nate fisher posted:

So no bigger screen iPhone 5? Urg! Is Sprint at least getting the white iPhone 4Gs?

EDIT: Just forget I said anything, I read your post wrong.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ninmeister posted:

At what point do they start talking to me about getting either a new one instead of a refurb, or a different comparable phone model (if ever, do they do that)?

When my EVO broke they gave me the option of getting a Nexus S instead. I only had it for a week cause I couldn't stand it. I traded with Duckman and got an EVO back.

The only thing I miss is that I don't have a white EVO anymore and I really liked it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ninmeister posted:

Did they offer you that on their own or did you ask? Also, what did you dislike about the Nexus S?

I just told them I needed a phone sooner than it would take to get a refurb EVO. As far as the Nexus S goes, it's a nice phone and all but the screen size really bugged me out.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

brc64 posted:

Does Fresh get rid of the useless loving "location" icon at the top? I remember somebody asking about that before but I don't remember the answer. Also, does Fresh kill CarrierIQ, or is that embedded into Sense itself?

Don't know about the first part but Flipz has always removed CarrierIQ from his ROMs.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Alright so it looks like the charge port in this EVO 4G is getting busted again. If I plug the charger in the phone recognizes the charger and starts to charge but as soon as I put the phone down the phone stops charging.

If I use some force and push the charger in the port as much as I can the charge sticks sometimes. Heck if I hold the phone upside down the charge sticks.

Do I have a chance to get this replaced at the Sprint store without having to pay? They covered my last EVO when the port died, but in this case I dunno.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

You shouldn't have to pay.

And if I remember right that was my evo that I swapped to you. RIP :/

Your EVO treated me very well and it will surely be missed.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I took it in to the store today and when the repair lady plugged it in to check the charge, it worked just fine. Looks like it's my charger being finicky or something and not the port itself?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

There's an I believe fully functional ICS rom for the Evo 4G.

Which one? AOKP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Does Sprint replace the back casing of an E4G if it's a little busted? Mine doesn't click all the way in and it's a little annoying.

I know I could find the clip on Amazon for $4 or so but I'm just curious.