Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
You would recommend the Blackberry Style over the Arrive? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Mahoning posted:

But for a second there I was thinking that portrait android with a keyboard that was leaked a few months back.

Has there been a word about that since? I was semi-interested in it, even though it's Samsung.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Woah, the Echo is actually good? (according to Engadget)

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

traveling midget posted:

Premier customers get first crack at the Echo:

Those launch day lines are gonna be out the door and around the corner.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Anyone ever replaced the lens cover on their Evo? Mine has been cracked for months and dust has been collecting underneath, so all my pictures look like poo poo.

I'm looking at this, hoping I'll be able to replace it. Any reason why it shouldn't work?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

td4guy posted:

Looks like the one on the right will be coming out on June 5th.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/05/motorola-intros-dualing-portrait-qwerty-android-options-for-spri/

If the Titanium can be rooted, I'm buying the gently caress out of that. I doubt it can be, though.

I've had the Evo since launch day, and I still miss my Nokia e71's keyboard. Why couldn't the Arrive have been an android phone? :(

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Is there any way to start the number porting process before I actually get a phone? I want to transfer my mother's number to a new line on my account because the person whose US Cellular account she's on now is going to cancel her line. I was going to order a free Optimus online, but I don't know if I'd get it before her line gets cancelled.

If I can't, I guess I'll go to the Sprint store tomorrow. What's the price on the Optimus there?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I thought Sprint usually overnighted phones? The Optimus I ordered Tuesday night isn't getting delivered until Monday. Kind of disappointing.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
It shipped yesterday morning, but stayed in Kentucky all day.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

I thought Sprint usually overnighted phones? The Optimus I ordered Tuesday night isn't getting delivered until Monday. Kind of disappointing.

And now Sprint has ported the number. Wow. I should have waited until the phone came...

My mom is pretty pissed that she can't text or call anyone for the next three days.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

traveling midget posted:

Didn't people tell you to order the phone then port the number?

Also, why didn't you just go into a store and walk out with a ported Optimus?

1. I expected the phone within a couple days based on what I've heard about Sprint's shipping, and if the port happened during shipment it wouldn't have been a big deal because it likely would have been only for a day. I needed to get the port started before my mother's line on US Cellular was canceled so she wouldn't lose her number.

2. I'm cheap and I didn't want to pay for either the phone or the activation.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I've got a dumb question, maybe...

I've only been a Sprint customer since the Evo launch, where I opened up a family plan with my brother. Both of our lines were eligible for an upgrade ($150 discount) pretty much immediately after we signed up. I thought it was kind of weird and didn't do anything with them. I figured they were gone for good when Sprint killed the yearly upgrades for Silver customers, but I just checked and they're still on there for both lines.

Basically, is Sprint going to let me upgrade to the Evo 3D on two of my lines, even though I will have only been a customer for a year? I'm not complaining, I just thought yearly upgrades were only for the primary line, and even then, only for Gold customers.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
AmazonWireless is only charging $99.99 to upgrade to the Nexus S. Almost half the price of the Evo, and the same price as the Arrive. I'm planning on waiting for the Evo 3D (or the Photon), but that's pretty tempting...

edit: and only 49.99 for new customers, drat.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Matlock posted:

The Motorola XPRT Worldphone is on Sprint for $129, Amazon for $99.

Looks solid, but I have to wonder about rooting capabilities. Isn't it just a retooled Droid Pro?

I'm considering it...I think it should get ridiculous battery life (for an Android phone) with the smaller screen/resolution, yet the same size battery as the Evo 3D.

CharlesM posted:

Man I wish the HTC Arrive wasn't $200. :( My Touch Pro is now officially broken and I don't think it's worth repairing once more.

It's $99 on Amazon Wireless.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I'm waiting for this Motorola event to convince me not to pre-order the 3D.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

td4guy posted:

I did a bit of googling and, from what I gathered, it looks like we're all going to have to get new phones with multi-mode/whatever radios that are smart and advanced enough to listen on both frequencies.

The Evo 3D does this. http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=8261

big mean giraffe posted:

http://youtu.be/q1IhrSjMy0Q?t=9m24s

Pretty sure turning 3D off turns it off completely.

It doesn't...But why would it matter anyways? The only 3D you will ever see is if you open 3D pictures/videos/games. If you don't want to ever see 3D, don't take 3D pictures/videos or buy 3D movies or games.

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 12, 2011

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Isn't the XPRT faster than the Echo? I would also imagine that it will get gingerbread before the Echo since the Droid Pro already got it.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Just ordered. Hopefully it'll come Wednesday.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

spidoman posted:

Is there a way to change shipping or do I just have to go with the Free option they give?

I didn't see any other options for shipping...I'm just being hopeful.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
My Evo 3D just shipped, estimated delivery tomorrow. Sprint owns.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

When did you put in your order if you don't mind me asking?

I ordered mine around 12:30 last night, right after the page went up.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Why doesn't the background move when you switch homescreens? It feels like it's broken after having it work that way for so long.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Both the keyboards on the 3D suck after using Swype 3.0 on the Evo...Anyone had any luck getting that beta installed?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I got my 3deez this afternoon and so far I'm impressed. The questions about build quality are unfounded as far as I'm concerned since it seems much more solid that my EVO 4G. The 3D works well and it hasn't given me any headaches yet. Reception does seem to be a bit worse than my old EVO, but I can live with that.

I tried really hard to fall in love with the new Rosie's eye candy so I could do without LauncherPro, but I just can't. I find myself so frustrated by doing even the simplest of tasks on the homescreen that it's back to LauncherPro for me.

I tried to like Sense for 3 days, but I just switched back to LauncherPro too. So much better, and I still get the awesome lockscreen.

I've found 3G reception to be slightly worse, but wi-fi reception is a lot better than it ever was on my Evo. I get three bars in my living room, where I used to barely hold on to a connection.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Is there an SMS outage today? Getting error 2128 whenever I try to send a text.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
It's all text messages for me.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I'm on Google voice and it still affected me.

Working fine now, though.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
How hard is it to cancel a single line without paying the ETF? My mother claims she gets no signal at her place despite the coverage map showing perfect voice and 3G coverage. An Airrave or whatever isn't an option because she doesn't have internet there.

To me it looks like I'm going to have to pay the full $200 ETF since she waited two and a half months to tell me this. gently caress. And of course she made me swap out the Optimus I got her with a lovely Sanyo phone with no resale value.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
That white Evo 3D came out today at Radio Shack. My brother wants to go pick one up, and I think I'm going to be jealous...This thing looks much better than my black one (unless I can find one of those sick gold trim back covers):

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

rock2much posted:

I broke the outerglass over the camera. The camera works but I'm worried about damaging the actual lens. Is there a cheap way to fix/replace this?
I had to replace mine back when I had the 4G...it's pretty cheap and simple: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-HTC-EVO-4G-A9292-CAMERA-LENS-HOLDER-STICKERS-NEW-/150782002179?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item231b4ec403

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

nate fisher posted:

This upgrade thing made me go double check mine. Funny thing is the line I used last October to upgrade to the iPhone 4S is showing a upgrade date on 3/1/11. It is like they never counted my upgrade to the iPhowhenS against it. The rest are right (5/1/12, 12/1/12, 3/1/13, and 4/1/13), but what the hell is up with 3/1/11?

I am tempted to take advantage of it and pick up another iPhone 4S, but I am afraid they will figure it out and take my 5/1/12 (which is correct) away from me down the road (I am saving it for iPhone 5).

This happened to both of my lines when I got a couple of Evo 4Gs - no upgrade was used at all somehow. I could have gotten another phone immediately, but I waited until the 3D came out to use it. Pretty sure the guy at Sam's Club hosed something up when I got the original Evos to allow for that to happen.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Jeratain posted:

In the meantime, here's your next best bet: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1666938

SOS M is a MeanROM-based sense ROM without the Sense (AOSP apps, the launcher of your choice, status bar of your choice, apps of your choice). It's fantastic.

I finally rooted my E3D to install this last night after keeping it stock since launch day. It feels twice as fast now...so much so that I don't really feel like I want to upgrade to the E4GLTE anymore. Even things like typing seem to be much smoother.

For anyone who's sick of waiting for the official ICS update, I highly recommend this rom. Downgrading the HBOOT and rooting was much easier than I thought it would be, too.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="404484046"]
Link?

It's this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1666938

I've been running it for about two weeks now, and I haven't run into any issues at all. Battery life doesn't seem to be as good as stock gingerbread, but I can still go a full day.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I really hope that slider doesn't suck. I've been waiting too long for something like that.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
gently caress. After a year of no issues with my Evo 3D, I have a portion of my touchscreen that doesn't respond at all anymore. It's a strip that almost matches up with the 3rd row of the keyboard...meaning I can't use the delete key at all.

With no insurance, how much would it cost to replace?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

900ftjesus posted:

I think repairs are still $35 in store. If they can't actually repair it in store and have to send it away, they should give you a refurb. At least this is what I experienced last time I needed a repair, but it's been a while.

atomicvocabulary posted:

My repairs were free on the screen but they wouldn't fix whatever else was wrong with it, which they described as erosion, without insurance.

This was two days ago and with an original 4g. They gave me the option of buying up, which I don't have full options until October, or taking it to a place like phone doctor (a local repair store)

Thanks.

I just took it to the local sprint store, which I guess isn't a repair center, and they're shipping me a replacement for $35. Seems like a pretty good deal. The guy didn't even ask to check out my phone, so he either didn't care or didn't realize that it was rooted when I showed him how the touchscreen was loving up.

Apparently 3Ds are backordered, so I don't know when exactly I'll be getting that replacement.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

bigpolar posted:

Awesome, let's have a little informal competition to see how many refurbs we go through to get a working one. I'm on Evo 3D #5 right now. And I just had the antenna on it replaced instead of a getting whole new one.

At least mine are ostensibly "free" after paying my $8 a month. Are they sending you a fabulous purple Evo as well?

drat. Maybe I would have been better off buying a Nexus S on eBay instead. I didn't even know they made purple Evos.

Or I could just switch back to my Evo 4G until I can upgrade.

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 2, 2012

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/8/3145295/nokia-lumia-sprint-verizon-pureview-richard-kerris

I really hope this is true. I'd drop Android in a second if Sprint put out a Nokia phone.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Anyone planning on picking up a Photon Q tomorrow? I'm considering paying my $80 ETF so I can get rid of this piece of poo poo refurb Evo 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI the trade in on your 3D is $75 mood condition, $35 if not. Helps adjust the fee a little bit. I personally would recommend wwiting a week or two and making sure there are no horrible bugs, but that's up to you.

Is that in store? The online buyback says $62. Why didn't I get an iPhone...buyback on the 16GB 4S is $200+, while brand new Android phones that came out in the last two months are $125 at best.

And it's in excellent cosmetic condition, I got it as a refurb last month. The charging port is hosed, but I don't know if there's an Evo 3D (or 4G for that matter) in existence without that problem.