Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

FlyingCheese posted:

So I really want to switch from Verizon to the Sprint EPRP 500 plan with an EVO but I notice it's STILL sold out in the EPRP store. Would I be able to go to a sprint store with all of the EPRP info (the employee email/number) and get what I want?

Or should I just wait for the EVO 3D?

I am using a loving HTC Hero still and I plan on waiting. It's only a couple more months. I'll live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I wish we could get an EVO 3D release date already :negative:

My stock Hero is giving me strong "break into a million pieces" urges lately

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I like the look, sort of an old-school tape recorder/player feel. Plus you can get the case with the kickstand. I'm hoping the QHD screen does a good job of displaying the 3D, because that would be awesome. According to impressions I've read images "float" off the screen...I'm eager to see one in person.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm starting to waver on getting the 3D. With (still) no firm release date, questions about price and the fact that I'm getting closer to murdering my Hero in cold blood by the day, I don't know if I can continue to wait on vague "summer" release date promises, plus having to more than likely deal with supply issues.

I like HTC, but I'm not chained to them. I've heard awful things about anything Samsung, particularly in the mobile device market. At the same time, I've heard that the Nexus 4G is a pretty solid device and doesn't come with typical Samsung poo poo.

Anyone in the know care to offer a side-by-side comparison of the two and if it'd be worth waiting for the 3D over the 4G or not? I'd appreciate it, as I'm tempted by the solid reviews of the 4G to just upgrade now.

e: Ugh, no SD Card slot is kind of a bummer. I don't much mind the fact that it's 16gb internal, just that I like to swap pictures from my phone a lot and using a microSD-USB converter device is a lot more convenient than carrying a cord around everywhere.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 22, 2011

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
So as a Gold Premier member, if I order on the 21st (as the promotion appears to allow us to do), could I expect to receive my phone with instant upgrade rebate before the weekend? I ask because I am flying out for a business conference that coming Monday, and it would suck to have to wait to get back home for a week to get my new phone.

Plus, being able to show off the new 3D gimmick would be kind of neat.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 6, 2011

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Anyone have any experiences with the speed at which they received their online phone order?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Gold premier members should be able to order the 3D online tonight at midnight, yes?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

spidoman posted:

But still doesn't get shipped/arrive until the 24th?

I was under the impression that if we ordered it tonight at midnight, it'd be shipped overnight, or in the next 2 days. Is that no longer the case?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Myrddin Emrys posted:

So can we order the Evo 3D in a few minutes? Just on the Sprint.com site or what?

I was wondering this myself. We're past midnight EST, I would have thought they'd put it up with the rollover if they were going to before sometime midday on the 21st.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

quote:

Uh...I'm a Premier Gold member on SERO, and I'm getting this message:

quote:

We're sorry, but the number you entered has been identified as part of the Everything Plus Referral Program (formerly Sprint Exclusive Referral Offer/SERO). Please visit https://www.sprint.com/everythingplus to complete your Everything Plus phone upgrade, or you may call an Everything Plus sales representative by phone at 1-888-882-4030 to place your order.

That URL doesn't have the 3D. What gives?

This is still happening for me this morning. Can anyone tell me why this is preventing from exercising my upgrade option for the 3D?

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 21, 2011

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
And now the site's down, I guess maybe to correct the circular EPRP upgrade issue?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

quote:

Uh...I'm a Premier Gold member on SERO, and I'm getting this message:

quote:

We're sorry, but the number you entered has been identified as part of the Everything Plus Referral Program (formerly Sprint Exclusive Referral Offer/SERO). Please visit https://www.sprint.com/everythingplus to complete your Everything Plus phone upgrade, or you may call an Everything Plus sales representative by phone at 1-888-882-4030 to place your order.

That URL doesn't have the 3D. What gives?

My store options don't include the upgrade option for the 3D. This is still happening for me this morning. Can anyone tell me why this is preventing me from exercising my upgrade option?

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 21, 2011

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Well, according to a rep a spoke with, "EPRP overrides the Sprint Premier Gold status eligibility for an upgrade that you have and you cannot exercise your upgrade for the EVO 3D until the 27th". I can't imagine why both wouldn't be applicable for a customer who's been with sprint for 10+ years and all I'm looking to do is give them $200+/2 year contract.

Awesome. If anyone's in the same boat as me (EPRP/Gold) looks like we're out of luck for at least another week, assuming that the 3D doesn't get sold out online in that time. :sigh:

I guess I may as well check a Sprint retail store on Friday.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 21, 2011

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Never trust a Sprint CSR, they fixed it in the past hour or so :) I'm checking out right now!

http://www.sprint.com/ftbredbud29

Thanks! I just ordered successfully and received a confirmation email.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm holding out for a kickstand case.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I also received my tracking number tonight. Delivery expected Wednesday/Thursday.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
So...Engadget rated the Kyocera Echo and the Atrix better than the 3D?

That is...interesting.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
This phone is the best phone I have ever used. No keyboard lag on the full forums, either!

Of course, I am coming from a Pre followed by a Hero, so for others it may not seem like much of a jump, but it sure is for me. I keep looking for a trackball. Ideal orientation is landscape. The width of the phone makes it a bit awkward to try and use one handed while typing, particularly with the placement of the physical camera button.

Otherwise, beautiful refined and otherwise AMAZING. ZERO lag anywhere!

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 23, 2011

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I have to say that after playing with it for a while that I tend to agree about the thoughts that 3d is more of a gimmick at this point. Still, its a nice option to have if I want it. Doesn't hurt my eyes either.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
This phone continues to blow me away. It's so smooth, error free, and I love Sense 3.0. I get the feeling that this the real product that HTC wanted to deploy with the Hero.

The more I use this phone, the more that Engadget review looks completely awful.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I need to learn to keep my finger pad on the right from hitting the capacitive buttons accidentally. The buttons and the screen are both incredibly sensitive - and accurate, for the most part

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Maybe I'm retarded, but how do you close applications?

Just back out or hit home. Android closes apps automatically when it needs memory for a new task, essentially.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
So this is kind of weird...since the OTA update, I no longer have the ability to select the dialer option for the weather lockscreen - it disappeared and there doesn't appear to be a way to add it back - from all lockscreens. Anyone see something similar happen?

I looked, no option for "Dialer" or "Phone" in the app shortcut list. There's "Call History", but that's just gonna get annoying. Checked again. Looks like the closest thing to it is "Voice Dialer".

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 23, 2011

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

ShowTime posted:

It works for me. Try rebooting the phone (it only takes 15 seconds anyway).

When you say "it works for you", you mean that you ARE able to select "Phone" or "Dialer" as an app option for the homescreen?

\/ - Yes. It was there prior to the OTA update. I installed that, the phone rebooted, then when I went to the lockscreen, the phone/dialer option was gone, and clicking on the icon from the lockscreen customization page does not give me an option for bringing back the dialer.

I mean, it's really not that big a deal, but it's bunk that I can't even put it back on the lockscreen if I wanted to. Where's my dialer option? :(

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 23, 2011

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Is a hard reset considered powering off entirely, then rebooting? Because I tried that, and it didn't seem to fix it.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah, gently caress wiping at this point. I can live with waiting for an update to fix a lockscreen, when it's literally one extra swipe -> phone key press.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
What's the difference between Dialer One and the stock dialer?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
For some reason, voicemails aren't working correctly. Instead, I get a text message, with a number to call, that asks me to confirm that my phone is capable of receiving voice messages (obviously, it is). Any reason why its' not defaulting to visual voicemail?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I didn't realize this, but the ability to adjust the height of the view in maps on the 3D by dragging two fingers down in a \/ shape is really excellent.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Can I just say that now that I have seen what a really good, fast, 4G device can do, I'm very, very happy that Sprint has unlimited data?

I really do think that if Sprint can avoid going to tiered data pricing like AT&T and Verizon (and I really, really hope that poo poo goes away because it's loving terrible), they are poised to catch up a LOT of ground in terms of both profit and customers.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Has anyone else been experiencing any difficulty with their visual voicemail on the 3D?

For some reason, instead of getting the visual VM notification icon (as I used to on my Hero and had prior to getting an OTA update), I get a text stating something along the lines of "ANDROID: (number) has left you a voicemail message", a number to call, and when called, the number asks to confirm your device (3D) can receive VMs - which, obviously, it can - and it then hangs up.

Visual voicemail is such an awesome thing, it's pretty irritating to have to go into the dialer and access voicemail manually. I tried resetting my PRL with Sprint, did a hard reset and everything and its still not working. I'm not integrated with Google Voice.

A cursory googling seems to suggest I'm not the only one.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

I honestly don't know anyone with an Android phone on Sprint that uses Visual Voicemail. You can use GV Voicemail without integrating if you want.

My issue is mainly that I did use visual voicemail, and it worked correctly, notifying me when I had a new VM in the notification bar. That's no longer the case and I now receive texts when getting a VM which is annoying, at the least. I just want to know why, and if there's a way of going back to the previous system.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

ease posted:

I had this problem a long time ago, and I fixed it some how but I forget exactly. There is a toggle that sprint needs to set for visual voice mail. You can do it yourself if you call some number but I don't remember what it is.

Do you have any more detail on this? As I said above, I've reset my PRL, called Sprint, done a factory reset on my phone, etc. Is it as easy as saying "please enable my phone to receive visual voicemail"?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

FlyingCheese posted:

Anyone have a good case recommendation for the EVO3D? I don't want to go too expensive if possible.

I bought one of the clear silicon honeycomb cases from a Sprint kiosk and it's been working well. It's a snug fit and looks cool. I'm normally pretty careful with my phones and I felt the Otterbox was both a) too bulky and b) too expensive. I'm not sure how much drop protection it really gives me, but I know at least that it's got something around it.

I am pretty confident in the glass on the screen of the Evo3D to resist everyday abrasive stuff (as I know its some Corning-Gorilla Glass hybrid or something). As long as you aren't an idiot and carrying your phone with rocks, sand, or keys in your pocket, I really don't know that there's too much to worry about.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I didn't try that, but that's another reason why I opted against going with a screen protector.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
here's a picture of the (clear) silicone case I got for my evo:

I like it.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Excellent. I haven't had any issues at all.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Where did you get that if you don't mind me asking?

I like hexagons.

I just bought it from a Sprint kiosk at a mall near me. They had a range of colors, green and red as well.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I carry those cases, they are standard "Slider Skins" that any Sprint retailer can order from Technocell (most sprint accessories are Technocell). Just make sure you don't pay too much, sometimes I sell them for $20, sometimes $25, and most sprint dealers will give them for free with phone purchased if pushed. Sprint stores get them for $5, if people wanted to know the actual COGS.

drat. I got mine for $20, I thought it was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Alman posted:

Just started running a new ad, basically it owns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jphXLfKO2yg

I can't wait to see the counter-ads to this. If AT&T and Verizon respond, it'll almost be a tacit acknowledgement that they know that Sprint's right. Well played, Sprint PR team.