Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm looking into getting the Nexus S 4G but I'm new to postpaid I have a few questions.

1. I don't have 4G where I live, I'm sure this won't make a difference and I can just use 3G, right?

2. I'd like to get on the EPRP plan for $59.99. How would I go about doing this? I found a random rep's e-mail and 3 digit code but I don't know if it would work since it seems to be about 2 years old.

3. When I entered the rep's info into Sprint's EPRP site, the phone selection seems to be pretty limited. Should I just wait until the Nexus S 4G is out for a while before getting an account or can I set up an EPRP account and have the phone already? I'd like to waive the activation fee if possible and it seems I can do that online.

4. Would I have to pay for my first month up front such as with pre-paid or do I start paying in June?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

mtr posted:

1. Yes you can just use 3G.
2. Chappy is a Sprint employee of some sort and posted this earlier in the thread.

3. I think EPRP is out of stock of the higher end phones fairly often. I would imagine they would have the Nexus S in stock when it launches, but you might have to be quick ordering it.
4. I can't remember how this worked, but I think your first bill will include two months of service. Don't quote me on that, though.

The first bill would include two months? So it would be $120 + tax and fees and not $60 + tax and fees?

Alman posted:

1. yes, also clearwire seems to be building and activating new wimax towers again so you might get it in the future

2. i can help you with this, send me an email at alman84 @ gmail.com and i'll send you the info

3. you might be better off waiting until it actually comes out, but duckman2008 is probably a better resource for this question

4. another duckman2008 question

It's good that there'll hopefully be 4G here soon, but 3G's good.

Sounds good! I'll wait until I can get the Nexus S 4G or see what's up with the EPRP + Nexus S first.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How is the htc evo? I won't be able to get the nexus after all. My only choice it's the evo or lg optimus s.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint is postpaid, so you do not pay for the plan upfront. The only thing you pay for day of signing up for Sprint is the phone cost and any possible deposits (if you have good credit no worries there).

awesome! is the eprp pricing available at places like radio shack or is it online only?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Online only. Corporate stores can theoretically work with it, but it seems to be a crapshoot on which employees know anything about it.

What if I bought the phone at Radio Shack but went online to sign up for EPRP, would it work that way or do I have to get the phone + plan online at the same time?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

No. Stores can only sell you a phone at the cheap price if you sign up for plan and contract on the spot. And for a new EPRP plan i would bet you $10 Radioshack or any retail store would screw it up. Some people with existing EPRP have managed to upgrade via Radioshack or Best Buy, but the systems are supposed to kick them out, and they aren't going to go out of their way to try and sell it because no one makes commission on a phone sold to an EPRP account.

Ahh, okay. That makes sense then. I'll just go the online route. Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Would the Nexus S 4G be available for the EPRP plans? It sounds like it's going to be Best Buy exclusive for a while.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

If the Nexus S will be on EPRP, I may just wait until Sunday to pick up the EPRP + Nexus S instead of the EVO 4G.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Even my store has them in stock already, so Sprint corporate stores will have them for anyone with EPRP.

So it should also be on the EPRP website too on Sunday? If so, maybe I should plan to buy it early Sunday morning...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Anything that sells Sprint should be selling the Nexus S by tomorrow.

Awesome!

I called Sprint yesterday and they did a credit check, they said I'd have to pay a $100 deposit. That's fine. However, when I checked on the EPRP site, they said nothing about a deposit.

Will that deposit come in the form of my first bill?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

No, deposits have to be paid upfront, so you would pay $200 for the nexus, $100 for the deposit. It seems you are porting, so you will get a $125 credit on day 61 (you must report your number on sprint.com/switchtosprint within 72 hours). $100 deposit comes back in 12 months. First month's bill you will get in a week or two.

Ok, that's cool.

Yea, I'm porting from Virgin Mobile. The rep I talked to said I couldn't do the credit because Virgin is a part of Sprint...but I'll give it a shot.

A week or two after activation? Wow. I didn't expect that. I was told that it'd be in June that I'd pay my first bill and not May.

So I buy the phone and the deposit, then 2 weeks or so after, I pay for the first month's bill (which would be about May 22nd if I get the Nexus S on the EPRP plan tomorrow) then I have to pay the other bill on June 22nd?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh, I didn't realize you are porting from Virgin Mobile. No port credit then, sorry.

Bill date is a guess, at this point you wouldn't have to pay until June, they are correct.

Ahhh. Okay. :) I was worried about that for a second.

Okay, no big about no credit. I mean it'd be cool but I understand why.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My Virgin Mobile bill is due on Wednesday. I want to move my phone from them to Sprint, however, I won't be able to pay VM. My service with VM is still active, can I still do a port from VM to Sprint?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It sounds like the Nexus S 4G is having a lot of issues such as really low audio even if turned up to the maximum, wifi drop outs, lagging stock browser to the point it's unusable, and unresponsive screens.

Anyone else having these problems? Mine comes in tomorrow.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

After doing a little checking around, it seems that a lot of the issues were on previous phones (Galaxy S phones had the browser lag, EVOs had the wifi dropouts) but they were fixed with updates.

The screen problem I've only heard of twice now and the sound issue also seems to be software based.

If things don't go right, I'll probably switch to the EVO but I'm not a big fan of Sense and the whole thing about Google bringing updates to the Nexus before other phones is pretty tempting.

I'll report back my findings though (though I might do it in the Android device thread).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm not sure what's up with the stock browser lag. Eclair's browser was great on my Epic, Froyo's blows. While Galaxy S devices might see the worst of this, my understanding is that it's laggy on most (all?) Android devices under Froyo. Apparently CyanogenMod has patches that makes it suck less.

In any event, Opera Mobile has better rendering performance than any version of the stock browser that I've tried, and it also supports Flash. Perhaps some folks are turned off by its custom interface, but I'm quite happy with it. As a bonus, it's nice to have the browser be a separate component from the underlying OS where updates can't break its performance.

People say the lag on the stock browser is something to do with the GPU? At least that's what it was on the Galaxy S before Samsung fixed it. Some also report it's only on pages that are heavy in Flash or images.

Normally, I'm a purist and won't use another browser...but I'll give Opera and Firefox a try (definitely Firefox because I'm liking Firefox Sync).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gotly posted:

Where are you hearing this? I was planning on picking one up today.

I've been checking the XDA and AndroidCentral forums. They've been talking about the wifi problems a lot on AC and XDA is pissed about browser issues.

Those two things seem to be the absolute major big things that almost everyone has. Audio seems to be a big issue too but not as bad as wifi and browser problems, apparently.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gotly posted:

Wifi issue confirmed. I'm about 25 ft from the router and it keeps dropping in and out. 5 feet away is only 2 bars.

Hopefully Google can fix it. How's 3G/4G (if you have it)?

edit: Seems the Nexus S has USB port issues too.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 10, 2011

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gotly posted:

Haven't really left the house with it yet, I'll post tomorrow. (I'm in Kansas City so the 4g should be pretty good).

No USB port issues at all.

It may be the T-Mobile variant that has USB issues then. People have reported the phone loosing USB connection on a computer as recent as last month.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GLfortex posted:

I picked up a Nexus S on Sunday and so far I have had constant wifi drop-offs as well as a barely functioning 4g radio. At home side-by-side with an Evo with full 4g signal, the Nexus just scans and disconnects. When it does connect, the signal strength is poor and typically dies after a minute or so. I am going to swap it soon and will post an update.

The wi-fi problem is the case with just about every Nexus S 4G. It's a launch issue that hopefully Google fixes soon.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gotly posted:

4G has low reported bars but is working well. Does Google have some acknowledgement of the issue yet? It's a pretty great phone other than the wifi issue.

I hope so...there's a lot of issues the Nexus S has, it seems.

I've read of speaker issues when you plug in the headphones (apparently, it's a common issue on T-Mo's verison), malfunctioning USB ports when you plug it into the computer...

I'm seriously thinking of trading it in for an EVO 4G, I mean yea the EVO probably won't get nearly as many updates as the Nexus but the Nexus has a lot of issues...

People are still mentioning the browser issue on Google's report forum thing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

900ftjesus posted:

The Evo has official AOSP 4G drivers and better 3rd party HDMI support than HTC ever included. It's got amazing community support, and I wouldn't be surprised if it continues getting updates for CyanogenMod until the hardware just can't run newer versions of Android.

Hm...I didn't know all of that. But that would mean I'd have to root to use that, right? Is it hard to root the EVO?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gotly posted:

4G is weak inside some buildings but not bad. 3G is solid. I used it all day, checking forums, about 30 minutes of phone calls, messing around with apps and settings constantly like you would on any new phone. Sent around 50 text messages also. I was only on Wifi for a few minutes at home and it didn't drop.

I'm going to keep it. The only thing that bugs me is the speaker volume and Wifi and both of those seem like fixable things.

I'll probably keep mine as well, the wifi seems fine for me (I have a G router, if that means anything...I'm wondering if it's just N routers). I can't test 4G as I have no signal here in Nebraska, but that's fine. 3G is perfect for me as well.

The main thing I'm worried about is the unresponsive screen as a few people on Android Central have mentioned it now.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gotly posted:

This might just be some funky app setup but its really bizzare

I'll be texting back and forth and suddenly I can't enter text into the default text window. I exit the app, go back and start typing and suddenly I'm in the Google search widget. I have to open and close the messaging app 3 or 4 times to enter text again.

This is on the stock messaging app with SMS Pop-up to turn on my screen.

That is odd. I haven't had that problem.

It seems that the screen responsiveness issue is when trying to swipe across the screen or type on the keyboard.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

When I turn the phone in landscape mode to type on the keyboard, the screen isn't responsive in the corners sometimes, but if I turn it back to portrait, it's just fine.

I think it's software too.

Also, the bug from Froyo where an app shortcut doesn't appear on the homescreen until you kill the Launcher or use another launcher like Launcher Pro is still in Gingerbread.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

helsabot posted:

alsoooooo...sometimes the back button seems to get stuck. Does this happen for anyone else? I'll press it, and the light goes off, and I get stuck where ever I am for a few seconds, until it actually goes back, and then the light comes back on. It seems like it thinks I'm either continuously pressing it, or holding it down or something

I haven't had that happen to me, no.

According to XDA forums, you can get the YouTube app (and any app that seems to have hidden itself) by using a file manager app like ES File Explorer (the poster notes that it won't work on Astro...I like ES File Explorer a bit better anyway) to go to system/apps and find the APK for the app and reinstall it.

You then will have to reboot and the icon should show up in the app drawer.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gotly posted:

I ended up disabling wifi on my Nexus S 4G until there's a fix. Good thing I have decent 3G and 4G coverage and an unlimited data plan.

Do you have an N router? I have a G router and my wifi's been pretty awesome on my Nexus S 4G.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm using my Buffalo WHRHPG54 G router to use wifi on my phone and it's working.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gotly posted:

The wierd thing is, the wireless icon AND the cell signal strength icon will turn grey when they first connect and stay there for a while. About half the time, I'll have a working internet connection and half the time I won't. Eventually, both turn green and then it becomes even more unstable.

I'll A/B with my girlfriend's Nexus tonight and if she's not having any problems I'm going to take the phone back and exchange it for a new one.

Hm, yeah. I'm starting to think your device has a problem with wifi. The only time mine had grey on the cell service was yesterday when the storms were rolling through here in the Midwest.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

EPRP is still officially corporate only, so any third part from a Sprint retailer to Best Buy and Radioshack is not allowed to touch it. Last I checked it should prevent any of us from even looking at it. If Best Buy somehow gets access and upgrades anyone, great, but they aren't supposed to (and technically lose any commission on the sale).

Fingers crossed Sprint extends instant rebates past June 5th.

But Sprint corporate stores can touch the accounts, right? How would one find a corporate store?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WoG posted:

Use the store locater on sprint.com. Corporate stores will be listed as 'Sprint Store'. Third party will be 'Sprint Store by Whatever Wireless'.

Ahh, okay. Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

On a two year contract, are we allowed to upgrade our phones on the start of the 2nd year or how does that work?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone know if the free tethering on the Nexus S 4G will be charged by Sprint? Some people are saying that they can't charge due to it being a part of the "pure Google" experience and some say it's a trial for 30 days until May 31st or June 8th.

The ones saying that Sprint can't push an update to stop the tethering are the same ones saying that the T-Mobile Nexus S still has free tethering since it released in Dec 2010.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm using GV on the Nexus S 4G and all calls are routed to my phone since it uses my Sprint #. I'm still having to get used to having my voicemails completely controlled by GV though (not that I'm complaining cause it's nice having them backed up along with my texts).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I think the radio issue on the Nexus S is a phone by phone basis thing. I've had to swap out my Nexus S for a brand new one because my original had an LCD defect in the screen. I haven't had any problems with voice, 3G, or wifi on either of the phones.

Granted, I dropped to 1x many times on my first Nexus S but that was because I was driving through Iowa in the middle of no where. However, I had 3G for most of the trip and voice services worked fine too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I have noticed that my wifi signal goes down when I'm not near the router, but it still performs as if the signal was at 100%. Could it just be a problem with the radio saying that there's no signal but there is?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

When I swapped my online bought Nexus S for one in a corporate location due to an LCD defect, they were fine with it and didn't say anything about having bought it online.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

All this kickstand talk is making me wish I had one on my Nexus S... Anyone know of any cases that would give one?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

McPhearson posted:

Someone over at the Pocketables forum posted the apk for the flashlight and netflix app that work on the 3D.

Would that flashlight app work on a non-HTC phone with an LED flash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

lazydog posted:

It depends on the phone. There are several LED flashlight apps in the market.

I've used this https://market.android.com/details?id=jp.picolyl.led_light&hl=en
flashlight widget with the EVO and EVO 3D, and it lists a few other supported phones.

edit: someone in the comments says it works on the Nexus S 4G

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!