Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Would it be a safe bet to sell the Nexus S if Sprint gets their hands on the ICS Nexus? I signed up for Sprint EPRP on the exact same day the Nexus S released and I'm not due for an upgrade until May 1, 2012 for $75 and March 1, 2013 for $150.

Would I have to buy the unsubsidized price of the phone at that point and add it to my plan or could I sell the Nexus S and pay $200 (or whatever the price is) again?

If it's not a good idea to do this, I don't mind just using ICS on the Nexus S but if the ICS Nexus is just a better phone all around, I wouldn't want to miss out until May of next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm not sure exactly what your question is. Unless you have premier (likely not), the only way you're going to get more of a discount than what you already posted is if you do some retentions bitching with valid reason.

That said, if you eBay your Nexus S sometime before the Nexus whatever's release, you could net in the ballpark of $300 which brings the final cost down to $200 to upgrade, but you're still getting it unsubsidized.

So I would have to buy it unsubsidized, okay. I'll just wait for my May 1st upgrade then. Would that basically restart my plan for another 2 years and give me $75 off the on-contract price of a new phone?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yes you sign another contract for two years, but I'm pretty certain it's $75 off the retail price of a new phone. At which point you may very well prefer to spend $75 more to purchase unsubsidized (possibly less if purchased on new-in-box on eBay), to retain much better upgrade pricing in twelve (ten?) months time.

So instead of paying the $75 + difference to buy a new phone next year, buy a phone unsubsidized and sign up another contract and get better pricing next time?

Wouldn't the unsubsidized price be higher than the usual $200 for an on-contract price?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ahh, okay I get it now! Thanks a lot, guys! I'm new to the post-paid thing but I'll make a note of all this for reminders when it comes time to upgrade if I wanted to.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently, Sprint is internally testing Android 2.4 which will be an updated Gingerbread for the Nexus S line. Someone from Sprint posted a pic on the forums and clarified that, since it's internal, they can't show more than the photo showing which version of Android it is and that it contains a few "tweaks" to the OS.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/sprint-nexus-s-4g/95120-sprint-working-nexus-s-4g-update-os-2-4-a-6.html

The whole thread is about it, but the last page contains the photos and supposed confirmation of it happening.

I thought that the Nexus line was controlled only by Google. Is this something that Sprint is working on with Google? I've googled and found a few videos that seem to be running 2.4 on the T-Mobile Nexus S too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexus-S-4G-getting-OTA-update-to-fix-WiMAX-radio-issues_id20144

Looks like the Nexus S 4G will be getting an update to fix wifi and 4G issues. It'll also improve the speaker phone quality, add a 4G settings widget, TTY and NI push support, and enable NFC secure element.

What exactly is NI push support?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman, have you heard any information on the Nexus S 4G update to 2.3.5 that was supposed to hit today? People on XDA are saying it's coming, someone says it's delayed, and Android Central has no idea what's going on.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

No idea beyond its supposed to be released soon. There's a way to force update your phone to check for it, but knows if they delayed it on a bug or not. If it just is no one getting it they usually roll it out in waves, so it could take a bit.

Okay, thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

Did that rumored poor-signal-fixing update for the NS4G ever happen?

No, but Sprint reps confirmed that the update exists for the phone and that it's still coming. Google delayed the update for some reason.

Now there's people arguing when it'll come. I tried getting information on Android Central as their Nexus S 4G forum was pretty active about it but it's no use as no one can stop arguing about if the problem is widespread or not and what is a rumor and what isn't.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 22, 2011

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Android 2.3.5 update for the Nexus S 4G is out.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/com...-4g-data-speeds

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/22/sprint-readies-nexus-s-4g-update-with-improved-wimax-performance/

Looks like you can download it from Google here: http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_crespo4g/39fe4c5954c0.signed-sojus-GRJ90-from-GRJ22.39fe4c59.zip or just wait for your phone to receive it OTA over the next three weeks.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 25, 2011

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like the 2.3.5 update stops the Nexus S 4G from tethering and hot spotting. It makes sense though since Sprint has been saying they would do this since the release of the phone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's not a Samsung device in the way that's problematic--the software is completely controlled by Google.

It has a slightly better CPU/GPU than the Evo, a smaller PenTile AMOLED screen, better DAC, but only 16 GB of on-board storage and no micro-SD slot. So it's not strictly better or worse, depends what you prioritize. Only major downside is that folks were complaining of radio reception issues, I'm not sure if they were fixed yet or not.

Good news is that it's trivially rootable, Google has made it unlockable by design. It's also likely to be the first or second device to get an official ICS upgrade, second/third to officially run ICS at all.

Sprint/Google released Android 2.3.5 on July 25th, I believe. It fixed issues with wifi / 3G/4G but some people complain of random reboots but I've only heard of those from people on Android Central's forums.

It also removes the bug that allowed people to tether for free.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Are there any real good cases for the Nexus S? I feel like going all out on the new phone next week and getting a nice case for it.

I use a pretty good case that I got from the corporate store for $25.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Octavian posted:

Now my ISP wants to buy my cell provider. This can only end well, right?

This slightly terrifies me for some reason. Probably because they bought qwest and qwest is horrible here.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How much is the administrative fee jumping again and when would that be?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mark Larson posted:

Its going up to $1.50, from 9/9 onwards.

So I'd pay an extra $1.50? That's not too bad. Thanks!

Granted, my bill is high due to Nebraska taxes on cellphones so it's still cause for alarm as it could go up higher while during my two-year contract...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone having problems with 3G in Omaha, NE? I'm not even getting a 3G icon.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rebooted my phone (Nexus S) and the 3G returned. Weird. Keeping an eye on this.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TLG James posted:

Omaha 3g sucks balls period. Go into any drat store and you lose coverage.

I've had that happen at Kmart way too much, but then again almost every phone I've had lost a signal at Kmart.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The last time I went to a corporate Sprint store, they told me that if the person that I signed under on EPRP were to quit or leave, I'd be placed on SERO. Is that true?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-files-suit-block-proposed-att-and-t-mobile-transaction

Sprint is suing AT&T to block the merge with T-Mo. I thought that was already blocked by the DoJ.

Sprint says that if the merge goes through, AT&T would control too much of the wireless in the US and would diminish quality for customers.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Won't ICS have panorama on the camera app by default?

Also, my Nexus S has silent camera...I thought that was required to be turned off or is it a phone by phone basis?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

What would EVDO B and LTE do for phones that aren't the EVO 3D or Photon (or possibly the Epic Touch 4G)?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

lazydog posted:

The Cnet article is saying they will start with their G-block spectrum, which from what I've read is 1900Mhz, So, maybe not quite as bad as 2500? And then eventually once iDEN is shut down, maybe that band as well.

If they use 1900Mhz, won't phones that are able to use that theoretically be able to use LTE?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is it true that Sprint will be dropping 23 month upgrades in favor for 21 month instead?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm on EPRP, who would I call to ask about extending my due date for my bill?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Since 1 year upgrades no longer exist, I no longer have an upgrade for March 2012, but May 2013 instead (I signed up right when the Nexus S 4G released). However, a friend who works for Radio Shack told me that Sprint will drop 23-month upgrades for 2 year contracts and instead make it 21 month upgrades. This means that, if it IS 21, I should be able to upgrade around February 2013.

It kind of confuses me, but if I'm understanding all that right, I have to keep the contract until at least February 2013 with no phone upgrades in-between, correct?

I'm not looking to switch or buy a new phone or anything but I'm just trying to make sure I'm understanding it right.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've been contemplating but...would it be worth it to switch from my Nexus S (which I got back when it released) to the Nexus Prime (IF it comes to Sprint)? Or should I just keep the Nexus S since I'd be paying full price for the Prime (and possibly ETF)?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You would pay both full price and an ETF, just whichever of "retail price" and "prorated ETF + subsidized price" is cheaper.

Anyways I wouldn't worry about the Nexus Prime until we actually know more about the device, and we actually get an idea of a release date on Sprint. While I wouldn't recommend anyone pick up a Nexus S with a subsidy today, already having one is a great place to be since it'll get an ICS upgrade before any other phone, and hardware wise it's still pretty good.

Wow that's more than I'd originally thought. Never mind then. Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Crap. I already edited that post, but I figured it was worth a reply to emphasize my error.

I meant to say "you wouldn't pay both full price and an ETF, just whichever of 'retail price' and 'prorated ETF + subsidized price' is cheaper."

Didn't mean to mislead you like that.

I didn't see the edit, but thanks for cleaning it up.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone having problems with MMS?

Apparently Google and Sprint have filled out a feature of Google Voice that saves MMS to email but on not getting any to send to me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ever since the Android 2.3.5 update for my Nexus S 4G, I've had decent 3G speeds here in Omaha, NE.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dan Hesse says that Sprint's unlimited phone data is being kept around longer due to the iPhone 4S.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10/27/dan-hesse-the-sprint-iphone-is-actually-helping-keep-unlimited-data-around-longer-for-smartphones/

He says that the iPhone uses Sprint's network more efficiently than Android devices and helps reduce the rate of smartphone consumption.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10/28/the-carrier-crackdown-continues-sprint-now-blocking-tethering-apps-in-the-android-market/

Sprint's blocked tethering apps on the Android Market like Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T.

Sideloading them still works though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bigpolar posted:

Thanks. How does the evolution compare to the nexus now? I know reccomendations were running toward the nexus, but now that gingerbread is on both and no more updates are planned for either, which one looks like it will last?

There's an ICS update coming from Google for the Nexus S so it's not EOL yet.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

So I'm encountering mass instances where Google Voice doesn't properly send my texts for ages at a time. Is this a ROM issue? Is there any way I can just use GV for the call integration and completely strip it from my texts?

My boyfriend's had issues with Google Voice doing that just last night on his non-Android phone and I've had it on my own Nexus S 4G a few times. I think it might be a GV problem.

The way I fixed it is to stop the GV-Sprint collaboration and then restart it in 10 minutes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi don't apologize to anyone about not loving a cell phone carrier. And you can put your account on hold for $8 a line.

Should I do this for my EPRP account? I'm having financial troubles in college and may need to drop my phone to pay for classes.

Are there some type of student discount or something like that or should I have them put my account on hold for a month or so?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Student discount is 10% but not eligible on EPRP since you already have a discount basically.

And yes put it on hold. $8 a month and a non working cell phone is way better than having the account rack up bills and potentially ruin your credit if you don't pay them. No contract extension for going on hold (its technically called seasonal standby), but time on seasonal standby does not go against your contract. So if you have 12 months left in contract and place it on hold for 3 months, when you turn it on you still have 12 months. You can use seasonal standby for up to 6 months at a time.

For military people standby is completely free and there are no limitsnon how long, just fyi.

What exactly does the hold do? Will I basically pay $8 / mo to keep my account in Sprint's system and then when I remove the hold do I just pay my regular fee at the start of the next bill cycle?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

As much as I've been hoping Sprint gets the new Nexus, I've seen so many broken Samsung phones in the store that I don't know if I trust it...

After playing with the Galaxy Nexus for about two hours yesterday, it didn't seem buggy or anything.

The only thing I missed was the Menu button and the ability to control the Notifications volume seperately. These are more something having to do with ICS rather than the phone, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone know what could be holding up the Nexus S 4G ICS update? Or is Google still working on the semi-broken Nexus S GSM update that wasn't working all the way?