Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

fknlo posted:

My little sister is looking at the HTC Shift. Looking at reviews it looks OK, is there anything sketchy about it that she should know?

I have/had a Shift. At first I really liked it. Or at least I did until the Gingerbread update hit. Basically, it went from a phone that I had no complaints about to a buggy mess. The two biggest annoyances were the fact that Sense would have to randomly reload after exiting apps which would lock up the phone for ten seconds or so and the fact that while composing text messages I'd randomly get kicked out of the screen where you type in your message. Thankfully, what I had typed would be saved as a draft but it was still super annoying. Also, the swype implementation was basically broken. Not a big deal since the keyboard was why I got the phone in the first place but it still would have been nice to have as an option.

The annoyances from the update bothered me enough that I ended up just getting an Evo 3D and I am MUCH happier now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
So Engadget reviewed the Photon. I don't understand why they hate the Evo 3D so much. They call the Photon Sprint and Motorola's best phone yet, while calling the 3D disappointing, and saying "Instead of trying to wow us with a gimmicky 3D camera, it differentiates itself by being Sprint's first global phone with WiMAX, and as such supports CDMA / EV-DO for North America along with GSM / HSPA for the rest of the world."

They admit that the Photon is a slower phone, has a lovely Pentile qHD screen, and doesn't have some amazing camera. So what amazing features does it have that place it above the 3D, which has a faster processor? It's 1) .9 mm wider, 2) has a kickstand, 3) is a worldphone, and 4) doesn't have gimmicky 3D.

Engadget doesn't seem to understand that the 3D aspect is entirely optional.

I really do not understand this either. I have been using an Evo 3d since launch and I love it. The only thing that I can figure out is that this is all just backlash against the 3d feature which I agree is a gimmick, but give me a break! It is 100% optional and in no way detracts from what is otherwise a stellar phone. It even has a physical camera button which I'll take over a kickstand any day of the week.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

nate fisher posted:

I disagree. We (my wife and I) find think the physical camera button is useless and in the way. We never use it while I use the kickstand on my EVO daily.

Still I do think the EVO 3D did get some unfair reviews. My wife loves hers and the phone has some pretty good battery life for a high end Android device. I think there is a 3D backlash going on (which I sort of agree with) that hurt reviews and sales. Plus the naming of the phone was stupid. Doesn't matter if 3D optional or not to some people, they just hate 3D.

To each his own in regards to the camera button but I am certainly a fan of having the extra tactile feedback that a real button gives. I also haven't found myself having a problem with the buttons slight protrusion (I've had the phone for almost two months).

I do agree though that the whole 3d thing should probably have just been left off the phone since most people's gut reaction is that it is a gimmick and thus the whole phone is a gimmick which is unfortunate. I know I would rather have a slightly better camera sensor than a 3d one if given the choice.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Sole Survivor posted:

New Evo3D update also allows you to take screenshots, hold the Power button then hit Home.

Also the new version of swype is made of pure win. I didn't think that I could like this phone more than I already did ...but I do.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Octavian posted:

Now my ISP wants to buy my cell provider. This can only end well, right?

Well at least it's not ATT or Verizon ...still I'm pretty sure this isn't "good" news for Sprint customers.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

sharkytm posted:

The 3D is out. The camera resolution isn't as good as my EVO's, and I can't stand the screen size.
I have just been reading about the Photon, which looks awesome. How easily rooted is it? I use WiFi Tether on a daily basis, as well as Titanium.

Not sure I understand this. The screens on the 3d and photon are the same size and resolution and if anything the photon screen is worse because it is RBGW pentile. Also the camera on the 3d is fine ...megapixels don't mean much.

The only reason that I could see for not getting the 3d would be if you really want to use the photons dock or just can't stand sense which if you liked the original evo I'm guessing isn't the case.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Ralphus posted:

The Shift runs CM7 if you're not an idiot like me who had his Shift rooted and running CM7 and overclocked to 1.2ghz and then decided to RUU back to stock to see if the official Sprint Gingerbread release fixed some things... and now I'm stuck because there's no perm root for the Shift if you've got stock 2.3 on it!
I absolutely loathe my phone now, I hope there's perm root soon because it's just so clunky now :(

This is pretty much me. I went from 100% satisfied with my Shift to hating it so much that I bought an off contract Evo 3d. No clue how the gingerbread update managed to mess up so many things.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Matlock posted:

"There's nothing we can do, it's a known issue, we're working on a fix with LG."

That's what I've gotten from them.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/76377?start=0&tstart=0

Huge thread on the subject, lots of issues.

I hard reset the phone while on my landline talking to them, 2.3.3 remains on the phone regardless. I have to take it into the store to have them hard reset it and try not to charge me because I don't have TEP.

This is basically to the point I'm tempted to take the Samsung Reclaim out of the drawer and start using it again.

Welcome to my world a few months ago when HTC updated the shift to gingerbread. Not sure what the deal is with gingerbread updates.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

big mean giraffe posted:

How can it be "leaps and bounds better" than a phone that's extremely fast, has virtually no load time in opening apps and has a very smooth ui experience? It's also a Samsung product and has an 800x480 screen, making it old news.

Agreed, really don't see how it is that much better than the Evo 3d. Sure you get a bump in benchmarks but, I've yet to find any app. that makes the 3d struggle (emulators included) and I'm even running stock with sense.

Maybe this is just personal preference but I have gotten pretty attached to Qhd. The resolution difference is definitely something that I notice on my friends phones and I can only imagine that things look even comically larger on the ET4G's larger screen. I do agree that from a color standpoint SAMOLED+ looks better than anything else on the market but the 3d's screen looks really good also so I don't see that as being all that big of an advantage. Couple that with the 3d's compatibility with EVDO rev B and it just is not worth the risk of dealing with Samsung (non nexus) devices imho.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran
For what it's worth, I've owned both an Evo 4g and 3d and I really have not noticed any differences in reception between them. I get pretty average to low signal at my house and that has been the case with both phones. Both of which are quite useable. The only documented reception issue I've seen for the 3d is concerning 4g reception. Annandtech noted that the 3d, in comparison to the photon, was more likely to lose its 4g signal BUT the 3d had faster download speeds to somewhat balance that out.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

yellowjournalism posted:

I don't know a drat thing about Samsung besides the updated thread title which said "goon-recommended" to me, so I guess I'll just see how this Evo 3D pans out.

I'm pretty sure the thread title is just a joke about how ridiculous the name is for the sprint version of the GSII.

Also I imagine it is possible that you're just caught in "refurb hell" at the moment where you're getting replacement devices that have already had problems. Personally though I'd just keep spinning the wheel until you get one that works. The screens on the GSII (low resolution) and photon (pentile) are deal breakers for me personally.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

brc64 posted:

That said, even if the phone offered unlimited free blowjobs it wouldn't be enough to get me to switch to a 3.5" inch screen.

Agreed, I tried going back to a smaller screen with the evo shift earlier this year ...and I just couldn't stand it. I definitely didn't realize how much I missed a 4.3" screen until it was gone (and of course it didn't help that HTC totally screwed up the phone with the gingerbread update either).

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran
I really don't know where the impression that the evo 3d had a poor screen comes from. I actually think that it is the best qhd screen available right now. It isn't as gorgeous as SAMOLED+ but it is also running at a higher resolution than the sgsII which is a really nice feature in and of itself.

I have had mine since June and I can honestly say that I've had zero issues with it. Yes, the photon can hold a bad 4g signal better but the 3d still does fine and I have have seen no issues with voice or wifi. I don't think I've ever dropped a call either.

Seriously, anyone that is on the fence about what phone to get should go out and mess with a 3d in the store. The 3d thing is a bit of a silky gimmick but it its still a drat good device. I've been super impressed and after my lovely experience with the shift I'd be the first person to say otherwise if I thought it wasn't a great phone.

I certainly can't say what the future will bring with regards to software updates (neither HTC nor Samsung have a spotless record) but I can say that the 3d is a fully functional and great device right now so there's no need to buy it with the hopes that issues get ironed out as seems to be the case with the ET4G.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Matlock posted:

Weird, I guess having cokebottle glasses finally paid off.

Yeah, I guess it just depends on your vision but, to me, I feel like I'm looking through a screen door when I look at a phone with a pentile display. A friend got a bionic a while back and it was particularly egregious on the blue display elements and text which is a shame since it was an otherwise awesome device. I guess if it doesn't bother you though then, by all means get a motorola device since it is supposed to help screen brightness and therefore battery life.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Leathal posted:

The Evo 3D definitely has a problem with maintaining a stable data connection - that goes for 3G, 4G, and even Wifi. Voice connections are fine, but weak data signals completely choke on the 3D's radio.

This actually makes me wonder if this isn't maybe an issue that varies from device to device. I will be the first to admit that mine had issues keeping a weak 4g signal (though so did my evo 4g) but I live in an area with a pretty weak signal and I never have a problem keeping 3g. I can drive around town and steam Pandora without a hitch. In fact, I usually just keep 4g off since it's unreliable and between 3g and wifi I don't have any problems.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Bicarbon posted:

I keep hearing people who do not have a Galaxy S2 say things like this... I have one and have had zero problems. What exactly is wrong with the phone?

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/76962

The loss of signal issue is the biggy that I keep seeing people bring up. As I understand it, the phone will lose signal and the only way to get it back is to reboot the phone.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

blargle posted:

No custom rom (that isn't based on the stock rom) has had any luck getting wimax to work.

Does wimax have any redeeming qualities? Let me see if I have this straight, it has poor building penetration so it is basically useless if you are indoors (and also useless outdoor because cell phone screens are unreadable in sunlight), it is slower than every other network's 4G technology (even ATT/T-mobile's that shouldn't even technically be called 4G), it ruins your battery life, and on top of that it is apparently impossible to get it working on custom ROMs.

I actually live in a city with wimax. However, I can't even use it because drat near nowhere in the city gets a useable connection indoors. Hell, even the sprint store down the street form my house doesn't get a useable wimax signal. It would be comically bad if I wasn't paying $120 per year for the "privilege". Thank goodness I get a decent 3G signal most places.

I really can not fathom what Sprint was thinking when they decided on this for their 4G network. Thank goodness they didn't double down on stupid and will instea be switching to LTE in the near future. Good riddance.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran
I hope it was obvious that I was referring to Sprint's 2500mhz Wimax. That still doesn't change my point "what were they thinking?"

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Ender.uNF posted:

Really good stuff about WiMax/LTE.

Hey, thanks a bunch! Really informative post. I sort of curious though if the existing 4G/WiMax network will be the last to get LTE deployed (since they already have "4G") or if they're going to be using some other sort of criteria for deciding who/when/where to deploy LTE. I'd really be disappointing if I have to stick with lovely borderline unusable WiMax for the next several years because Sprint thinks my city (Midland/Odessa, TX ...probably not at the top of their priorities anyhow) is already "covered". I'm hoping that, with any luck, the booming economy out here will bump us up a little priority wise.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

TLG James posted:

Anyone having problems updating to the newest HTC software patch on the evo 3d? I'm rooted, and I just get the android guy and a triangle exclamation point.

It worked on mine, but I'm not rooted.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

GEMorris posted:

I've hear about a lot of overheating problems with the evo 3d, what are the main problems with the photon?

Pentile screen would be the main problem with the Photon. Also, I think the photon is a lot less developer friendly since Motorola has the bootloader locked. Since I don't have one though I don't really follow that so it is possible that there's a good work around. If those don't bother you though it is a fine phone as far as I can tell.

Also, I'm an Evo 3D owner and I haven't heard about overheating problems (mine certainly doesn't do it and it gets used heavily). It is also nice that HTC officially supports unlocking the 3D.

I think it's a safe bet that both phones will eventually get ICS though it is anyone's guess as to when.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm giving up on my Moment finally and getting a new Sprint phone for Christmas. Is the Evo 3D still the hot poo poo phone to get, even if you don't care about 3D or 4G?

I'd say you should look into both the Evo 3D and ET4G. They're both great phones from what I can tell. I think a lot of it will come down to sense vs. touchwiz, higher res SLCD vs. slightly lower res but bigger/prettier SAMOLED+, and which feels better in hand.

In the abstract I think that the ET4G wins if you're just looking at bullet points on a spec sheet (faster CPU, bigger/prettier screen, better camera, better battery life) but given Samsung's track record with android devices I'd always be a little hesitant to pull the trigger.

For the record I own an Evo 3D and love it (I actually am a fan of sense which probably helps).

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Mahoning posted:

I still have the original EVO that I got 2 weeks before launch, I'm really getting sick of it. How many people have gone from Android in general or the EVO specifically to an iPhone 4S?

If you have, what's the verdict? What do you like/dislike?

Well this isn't exactly the same as going from the original evo to an iPhone but going from the evo 4G to the evo shift was awful. I missed the 4.3" screen a lot more than I thought I would. Still, I think that screen size (and availability of SAMOLED+ screens) is one of the biggest losses of going to the iPhone.

Also, looking forward to the next couple of months I can't help but feel that ICS is just way ahead of iOS.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran
For those of you with Evo 3Ds out there, I checked and my phone had an update this evening that appears to remove Carrier IQ. I did a bit of googling and the results I found seem to indicate that this is the case. It also seems that the update improves battery life somewhat. No ICS though unfortunately which is what I was hoping for when it showed up, still the update seems like a definitely improvement.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran
Quick trip report on the evo 3d update. Battery life is noticeably better. I've been browsing the net and sending text messages all morning and just now did the battery gauge finally deplete somewhat. Normally with this amount of heavy radio use and screen on time I'd be down to 50% easily. Also things feel a lot more fluid but I don't have any hard numbers to back that up. Either way, I'm impressed.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

The Entire Universe posted:

gently caress me, the 3d update made this phone even more buttery than it was before. I actually went back to Rosie (previously used Zeam launcher) to see the impact there and I'll be damned if it isn't smooth as hell even on Rosie.

It's loving amazing.

Completely agreed. I thought that maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part but everything really does seem to run a bit smoother with this update. Hell, I was already happy with the phone but between this and the improved battery life I'm positively blown away. I really hope they don't mess up the ICS update like they did some of the froyo to gingerbread updates because in my opinion the phone is near perfect right now.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

brc64 posted:

Has anybody else been having problems with their Evo 3D since the most recent update? Mine has crashed / rebooted at least three times since installing it, which it never did before. I am rooted, but I don't know if that's relevant.

Strange, mine actually runs considerably better since the update.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Grumpwagon posted:

Obviously, it's stupid to freak out over rumors 1 day before the official announcement, but this article is saying that they're replacing the excellent screen with an AMOLED, which would suck.

I think I'd actually prefer AMOLED. I know that the colors aren't quite as accurate as SLCD2 but I still really love the over-saturated colors regardless.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran
That is the ugliest phone I've seen in my life. With that said though the deal breaker for me will be the screen. I'm having trouble finding out if it's a SLCD2 like the other models or AMOLED like the rumors indicated. After seeing a few friends with SGSIIs and Galaxy Nexuses there is no way I'm buying a phone without an AMOLED display. Those things are way too good looking and being that the screen is the most important aspect of a phone (to me) the screen type is absolutely a deal breaker. It'll be a shame if it's SLCD2 since I really like the kickstand and removable storage (won't miss sense though).

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Sole Survivor posted:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news/htc-evo-4g-lte-fact-sheet.htm

Spec sheet indicates its a SLCD2. Apparently the SLCDs in the HTC One line look better than any AMOLEDs, so this is a good thing.

That is encouraging to hear. I'll definitely have to play around with some display units (my upgrade is in June so the timing is pretty good here) but after seeing the display on the SGSII and Galaxy Nexus the bar is pretty high.

And, Bigpolar, that really sucks on the Evo 3D. I picked one up after my Evo 4G got stolen last year and I haven't had any sort of problems with it. Though I'm pretty sure I'd end up strangling someone if they tried to stick me with a purple one after that many duds. That's just insult to injury.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran
So, ArsTechnica is reporting that the Evo 4G LTE will have a pentile display. This is the only place where I'm hearing this and I'd be pretty wary if it was just some random site but ars usually has their act together so I'm taking it seriously. If true this would be a huge disappointment. I had just about convinced myself that I could live with SLCD2 over SAMOLED but a pentile display on top of that would be too much to swallow.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Duckman2008 posted:

New insurance policies rolling out June 17th:

For any LTE phone that retails outright at $549 or more, starting June 17th TEP will go up to $11 a month, with a deduct able between $150-200 depending on the phone (they weren't clear on what differentiates). People who have insurance on the phone before then are grandfathered in.

So basically, insurance on the galaxy nexus and evo LTE are going up June 17th, so if you want insurance get it before that date.

How in the world is anyone supposed to justify paying for this? The amount you pay for replacing one phone is almost the cost of just buying a new one. I guess if you think you are in real danger of having to replace multiple phones during the term of your contract it might be worth it but otherwise there's no way you aren't better off just keeping your $460 and then just buying something used off of Craigs list if something happens to your phone. $200 deductible, in particular, is ridiculous. My car's deductible is $500 (with no deductible for replacing the windshield) and my car is worth an order of magnitude more than a phone.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

While I agree this change sucks, your car insurance probably costs a bit more than $11 a month.

Looks like my current phone will be the last phone I have TEP on.

Oh for sure it does but if my car was totaled I'd still only be looking at paying about $4,000 during the course of a four year note (counting the $500 deductible) for a $28,000 car that's about 1/7th (14%) the initial value of the car versus paying 84% of the value of a $550 phone over two years. So I still think most people would be better off passing on this insurance particularly since the cost of the deductible alone would be enough to get a decent used replacement (maybe not the same phone but probably something you can get by with until you're eligible for an upgrade).

tomguycot fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 20, 2012

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I thought you were talking about LTE in general, not the fact that YOU personally can't get a signal so therefore the whole technology is loving useless.

I've never heard a single complaint regarding WiMax (other than battery life and signal penetration issues) and I have friends and family on Sprint, maybe you guys should move to Chicago? Heh. I don't know why Sprint would bother to market WiMax in areas that don't have it, causing so much customer outrage.

Well mark me down for another complaint about wimax. My city technically has it but it's useless. The only place that I get a signal is outside (where I can't see my screen). Even when I do get a signal it is constantly dropping and killing my battery so I just leave 4G off. I'm eligible for an upgrade in June so I'll be another person dropping a wimax capable phone for something with unusable 4G since there won't really be a difference in how usable wimax is versus nonexistent LTE.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Jensen posted:

I am loving the GNex, but the battery life doesn't seem that great. I'm a developer and am quite familiar with wake locks and such - and this isn't a problem with an app.

I'm sort of wondering if the CDMA radios are just inefficient compared to the GSM version - judging from what I'm hearing of battery life from that camp. My EVO 3D seemed to have better battery life.

Anecdata battery life aside - I will say that this phone seems to work much better than the EVO 3D when it comes to calls and text messages. Does anyone with that phone have an issue where sometimes your phone never rings when someone calls it - or it takes like 5-6 rings before your phone will start ringing? Also, text messages would sometimes come in really lately... or sometimes just a few minutes late (which is annoying when you are meeting someone?)

My friends and I with the E3D all thought this was a Sprint problem. But I've done quite a bit of testing with the GNex and it doesn't seem to have any of these problems. It rings quickly, it gets texts very quickly, etc. It's still too early to say anything - but I'd be interested in feedback from anyone else.

For what it's worth, I have an evo 3D and I've been having all sorts of problems with text messages getting delayed lately. I was leaning towards thinking that it was a sprint problem though since one of my coworkers with a HTC Hero (poor guy) is having similar problems.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

St. Blaize posted:

So is there something that I missed about the Evo LTE that is causing everyone to run out for the Nexus instead of waiting?

The negatives I can think of are based on preference really.

For me the main reasons I am probably not going to get an Evo LTE are because:

1. I am completely enamored with SAMOLED screens. I know that the Evo LTE has a good screen but I burn with envy every time I see the screen of an SGSII or Galaxy Nexus. This is a feature that will be 100% required in whatever ends up being my next phone.

2. It is ugly as sin (admittedly this is 100% subjective so YMMV)

3. Sense, I honestly didn't mind it for Gingerbread and earlier versions of android but it needs to go away completely. Granted, it's minimal compared to the version of sense that is supposedly being pushed to other devices that will be updated to ICS but there are still completely unnecessary changes such as the changing of how the screen that lets you switch between programs works.

4. HTC, this is related to number three but because they insist on sticking to sense they are stuck in a no win situation. If they do updates in a "timely" fashion they are stuck with a fiasco like last year's gingerbread update for the shift (and for the Evo 4G to a lesser degree). But if they take the time to get it right then we are stuck with basically none of their devices getting timely updates (which is what owners of HTC devices are stuck with now). Either way their insistence of crapping up android with sense makes their devices less desirable to me.

5. This is also pretty nitpicky but I really want to try a device without capacitive buttons such as the galaxy nexus or the rumored SGSIII.

6. As a current owner of an Evo 3D that just got EOL'd after less than a year on the market I am just a little down on HTC in general.

With all of that said though I'll be the first to admit that it looks like it has the best camera on an android device and I did really like the kickstand on my Evo 4G. So if none of those things matter to you then it's probably not a bad phone at all.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Giblet posted:

I'm kind of confused over the number of people jumping on the galaxy nexus bandwagon with the S3 announcement so close. I'm not saying it will hands down be a better phone, but it is probably worth seeing before making a decision.

As I see it there's always something better on the horizon and no matter how good the GSIII is it'll still be a non nexus Samsung phone so buyer beware as far as I'm concerned. With that said, my contract isn't up until June so I personally am taking a wait and see approach. But if my contract was up already the galaxy nexus seems like the phone to get.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Whats the disadvantage going to the straight talk plan? Roaming coverage? If you stick with the AT&T straight talk plan, youre coverage would be good enough for most anything, and presumably your phone would have a swap-able SIM card for international use...having trouble justifying the continued contract extension.

As I understand it their terms of service basically preclude you from streaming anything (audio, video, YouTube, netflix, etc) and even though the data is unlimited they reserve the right to cancel your plan (since it's no contract) if you use more than a GB or so worth of data on a regular basis. This still might not be a bad deal depending on your usage but from what I can tell that's the "catch". Also it seems that their customer support is abysmal.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

FlyingCheese posted:

Is anyone else receiving texts hours after they're sent? It's happening to both my girlfriends and I's phones lately. This is really annoying because I depend on texts for work stuff.

It has been happening to both myself and a coworker lately but I am pretty sure it's due to a problem with the tower near where I work (because I don't have this happen anywhere but work).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

atomicvocabulary posted:

Activating a phone on the account will not affect it at all. You can trade out phones when ever. Like last week I was on an Evo, this week I am on a 3D. My upgrade remains the same, 1 oct 2012

Any idea if you can do this without paying any sort of fee? I've got an upgrade in June and I'm thinking about picking up one of the new LTE phones but if I know I'm going to be in one of the handful of places where I actually get useable Wimax I was wondering how much of a hassle it'd be to switch back over to my current phone (Evo 3D) for a day?

The 3D is still a fine phone but I also hate to just let my subsidy sit there for multiple months as I'm essentially losing money by not using it.