Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Upgrade time. Like an hour from now. Wife has an Evo, and a two-line data plan. I currently have a dumb phone.

Leaning hard toward the Evo Shift. I cannot type a 16 character alphanumeric password in to the Evo virtual keyboard. I've experimented with my wife's evo for an hour or more, and I cannot get used to the touchscreen.

Reassure me that I want an Evo Shift. I want to be able to be able to google poo poo in the car, and that is the overwhelming majority of what I will do with it.

This the way to go? I don't really care about call quality, since I don't really call people, I just want internet and schedule everywhere.

Is the Epic still not worth having in my circumstance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

My evo shift's touchscreen goes all stupid, I think particularly when it gets hot. Unfortunately, it's been 102 in the shade every day for 3 weeks now, so it doesn't work right a lot.

Registers clicks in the wrong place, fails to register clicks at all, locks the big pull-down-from-the-top "notifications/quick settings" pane in the middle and won't let it come down or go back up, just wiggles in the middle.

Oddly, turning the screen off always gets the "pull down to unlock screen" motion to work, and maybe a few motions after that but then it is hit or miss with anything else.

Is this a known issue? Is my phone dumb? am I dumb? Would I have to get it to demonstrate the behavior if I took it back to bestbuy to get them to fix/replace it?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Grumpwagon posted:

I have this happen a lot on my Evo 4g too. Are you running the stock rom still? I'm running Cyanogen with LP, and while I think it's heat like you do, I've thought about going back to stock just to make sure it wasn't a software issue.

I am running stock, without very many aps installed.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

So, I still have the same "top quarter of the screen behaves irratically and touch screen locks up entirely from time to time when it is hot" issue. I spoke to bestbuy, and they said "past 30 day return, you have no insurance, tough titties, go talk to the Sprint store." The sprint store said "You have to take that up with HTC, and it will take a minimum of 10 days to turn it around, and they will probably not be able to find the issue and charge you a 35$ triage fee" then they turn around and say "HOWEVER! we can let you in on our insurance program for 8$ a month, and just swap it out right now"

So, is there some better way to do this? Should I buy the stupid insurance? Should I roll the dice with HTC and see if they can fix it?

Is there some way to ask nicely to have them swap my three month old phone for one that loving works that I'm not hearing about?