Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
My wife moved from the old f&c 1500 to the 69.99 a few months ago. Would it be too late to call the SERO number and see if I can switch her to the SERO Premium plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Probably too late, but Its always worth a try.

Eh, I'll give it a shot. She has an Optimus and is cool now, but I'm thinking more along the lines of when she switches her phone down the road.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Criminy crap on an undulating crutch, I live in Orange County and don't have 4g coverage, what's the point of living?

I have "SERO 1250" - I'll be able to pick up a Hero and activate it without changing my plan, correct? $53.06 just feels right. Or will I need to switch to that SERO premium nonsense mentioned in the OP? I always worry that if I speak to someone at Sprint, they'll catch on to my lies and my next bill will be like $140.

You will have to switch to SERO Premium which runs $40/month so after taxes it's like $49+ a month.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Steve Moore posted:

TEP increasing to $8 on July 1st.

What's the other company that does cell phone protection?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

That phone sucks.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

jeeves posted:

I am curious why some folks have a preference to the Nexus S? It seems there is a lot of Samsung hate here, but not for that specific phone?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Google controls all software support for this phone as opposed to Samsung placing their software on it. Since Google will be keeping tabs on this phone, it's expected to get the latest and greatest updates (that actually work), unlike Samsung that drags their feet through the mud to update their smartphones. People like it because they like the Samsung hardware but just can't stand the software that comes from them.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Here's my scenario with GV. I gave work my google voice number because I don't want them calling my cell phone. I also call MAYBE a few people from work with that number. Is it even worth my time integrating it or should I just keep the option that lets me choose between calling from my Sprint or Google number?

Also, I rarely use my gmail account as it is (or the other two I have) but I do use my roadrunner email a lot. Is there any way I can integrate my roadrunner email into my gmail account? If I do that, can I also set it up to where it sends from my rr address and NOT my gmail address as the return address?

I feel like I've asked this before but a search didn't find anything. Sucks getting old, lol... :tinfoil:

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

brc64 posted:

This is pretty much my scenario, and the Sprint deal probably isn't worth it for you. If you decide to make your Sprint number a Google Voice number, you'll lose your work number. The only other option is to make your work number your Sprint number, meaning every call you make (regardless of whether or not you have the app installed) will show up as your work number. I suspect you don't want this, either.

What you're doing right now is pretty much the best you can hope for in your scenario.

Good deal, thank you. :cool:

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

It sounds like the Nexus S 4G is having a lot of issues such as really low audio even if turned up to the maximum, wifi drop outs, lagging stock browser to the point it's unusable, and unresponsive screens.

Anyone else having these problems? Mine comes in tomorrow.

Blame hardware problems on Samsung.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Wonderllama posted:

Ok, so my hero is flat out taking a huge turdy poo poo today. And frankly, I'm sick of it. I've been waiting for the 3D to come out, and I know that no one is aware of the official release date, but if I buy a regular EVO and return it within 30 days, I get a refund if the 3D comes out in that time, correct? So the only risk I am taking is if the 3D does not come out in the next 30 days? Giving me until June 17th?

Pretty much. You have to pay a restocking fee from what I've read here but that's it. Do you have it unlocked? I'd wait another week or so if possible.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

900ftjesus posted:

*Probates self*

Actually I pre-ordered at a Sprint store, if anyone else did and hasn't received a call about it you might check on your order. It's not a bad deal, I got a call last week and they scheduled a time for me to come in and get it. No lines for this nerd guy.

That's pretty cool. I don't ever bother with this because my local corporate store doesn't understand that setting an appointment means that people don't want to sit around and wait. I used to set appointments and when I would get there they would have me wait 30+ minutes like everyone else anyways because "they got there before me and it wasn't fair to the customers" or some bullshit excuse (mind you, this can from the store manager).

Sorry, felt the need to rant about that...

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Choicecut posted:

I don't when I am wearing jeans, but wear dress pants to work.

Although, cargo pants were the poo poo back in the day! I could store everything in those beasts!

I still wear these to work. :D

Quick question (and need advice). I want to get rid of TEP but are there any alternatives out there? What are the pros/cons? I know of SquareTrade but that's it.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

thisdude23 posted:

Quick question (and need advice). I want to get rid of TEP but are there any alternatives out there? What are the pros/cons? I know of SquareTrade but that's it.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

big mean giraffe posted:

That thing that links your contacts is part of Sense, and to a minor point Android itself, not Sprint. Visual Voicemail is easily replaced by the farrrrr superior Google Voice.

Okay, I want to use visual voicemail as well but I'm not merging my Sprint number with Google Voice because, truth be told, I prefer to have both numbers seperate of each other. Now, can I get Google Voice to run for both numbers or is that just not possible?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

big mean giraffe posted:

You can avoid doing any of the integration poo poo and just use google voice to voicemail, keeping two seperate numbers.

Sweet! I'm an idiot and I need pics so how do I go about doing this?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

I'm getting an iPhone. Was thinking new Nexus or 3D if Nexus sucks, but screw that, I like the way the iPhone feels better.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Got a Hero rooted that I'll let go for $40+ shipping. PM to let me know.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

iPhone is allowed on SERO but it will be $50, which is still cheaper than others. I was told that even though it's not 4G that because it is a premium phone it will run $50. I'm cool with that. :cool:

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Yeah, when I asked if the iPhone had 4G, I was told no. When I told him that I was previously told that only 4G phones where $50, the gentleman said that the iPhone, due to something (wasn't paying attention), was falling in this bracket. I really didn't care one way or another since I've had an upgrade for over two years and I'm finally gonna use it, either on an iPhone or a Nexus. :)

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

heavy liquid posted:

I still have the old SERO 500 plan... Can I make the switch online, or do I need to call someone? What do I say/ask for if I need to call them?

Call the Retentions number in the OP. just tell them you're interested in switching over to SERO Premium to order XXX phone and they'll give you the details of your new plan.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

I asked this in another thread but I'm sure no one saw it (blew it off) but is Sprint going to get the GNex? This is the phone I'm holding out hope for and I blew off the E3D yesterday for it. :(

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

900ftjesus posted:

I would say not likely for a good 6 months, possibly when they roll out LTE, but I don't see it making a WiMAX debut.

Good deal. I have an Evo now so if I guess I can look into getting an E3D off contract for the time being. Thanks.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like the Galaxy Nexus is coming to Sprint.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/05/galaxy-nexus-sprint-rumor/?utm_source=engadget&utm_medium=twitter

gently caress YES!!!

I'm in San Antonio so we get an upgrade fast... YES!! drat, been sitting on my upgrade since August 2009 (never found anything I liked, lol)...

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

SeaborneClink posted:

I walked a friend through rooting and flashing MIUI on his ~6 month old EVO 4G. I think he fell in love with his phone again today. One of the issues among many he had been having lately was that he couldn't send MMS, but like a big dummy I didn't update his profile or PRL before flashing. Is this something that can be done from a non sprint ROM, or is he going to nandroid, flash to stock and ##DATA# or *#*#3282#*#* then restore the backup? I have no idea what else to do. I hate being 'the phone guy' and doubly so with a carrier & OEM I know next to nothing about. For what it's worth his 3G/4G worked great before and after flashing, it was only MMS that didn't.

Keep in mind that MIUI doesn't have 4G. With that said though, it rocks. Make sure you stick with the stable version 1.12.9 and to answer your question, yes, you have to flash back to a sprint-based ROM since MIUI and CM are built from scratch and not specifically built for Sprint.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

I'm going to buy an iPhone for my wife off of craigslist and I wanted to know if I could have it activated at the store for her (to check esn) or do I need to go to the Apple store? It's an iPhone 4 so that's why I'm wondering, thank you.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Mark Larson posted:

You could activate it at the Sprint store or even on the phone.

How do I check the esn though on it? I want to make sure it's clean before I purchase it.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Killer Queen posted:

Meet the Craigslist seller at a Sprint store. They can check the ESN right there.

They gave me the MEID and serial number already though. That's why I was asking. I probably should have put all of that from the beginning. Can I just call Sprint with this information?

I'm used to dealing with Android phones so this is a new one for me. :p

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

uapyro posted:

They should call it the Evo 1Xrtt just to mess with the old school people who knows what it means

I'm all for that phone!

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

OK, so if I'm on a SERO plan I can purchase a SERO plan on Amazon eBay and put my wife on that as opposed to her regular plan? Hell, I need to do this asap.

thisdude23 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 26, 2012

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

ddogflex posted:

What does that even mean?

It means I'm not paying attention as I type since I meant eBay. I was looking on Amazon for some stuff and reading this thread as well. I'm apparently not too great at multitasking. :haw:

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

You can never buy from amazon if you are on sero or eprp. Just don't bother, not worth the risk anyway.

haha, meant buying a plan from eBay for my wife, and not phones from Amazon. :smith:

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

I cant wait for the GNex. I'm in San Antonio so I'm kind of excited that I might actually get LTE indoors since I gave up on WiMax for my Evo after a few weeks and just jumped on board with MIUI.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So, someone wants to trade their Nexus S for my Evo 4G. What are the pros and cons to this deal? Thanks.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
You lose a kickstand, but gain a friend.

So I should do it then huh?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

OK, so I traded the Evo for the Nexus S. How do I unlock this baby with ICS on it? I want to try some different ROMs on it.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

How can I get my Nexus S back to stock ROM and reroot? Help please, thank you. :(

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Q_res posted:

Any particular reason you're looking at only Android stuff? I mean does he have a preference for Android, or is this like when guys in the late 90's would setup a computer for email for their grandmothers and would ask for advice on which distro of Linux to put on it?

edit: That really seems to come off more dickish than I intended. Just curious why you're not considering an iPhone.

Dickish or not, I died laughing here at work on front of my students... :)

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

nate fisher posted:

This is why I am leaving Android. While no phone is perfect (remember the iPhone 4 antenna) you shouldn't have to root to get a phone to work right.

This is the truth. I enjoy messing with phones so I'll stick with Android. On the other hand, I think I'm going to stick with the iPhone for my wife. I'm thinking I'll eventually get the Nexus since I currently have the Nexus S and I much prefer that over my old Evo. Of course, I say all of this without messing with the phones in the store. Who knows, I might change my mind then. No phone is perfect but I know that I'm not comfortable with the iPhone though, the one button thing throws me off. :haw:

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

nate fisher posted:

I was joking (my first smartphone was a Mogul). My daughter has a Epic and it has done better than my son's EVO Shift. Still that doesn't stop her from buttering me up for my 4S when I get a new iPhone. She finished 8th grade with a 4.0 after I told her I would let her have it when the new iPhone is released if she made straight As.

hahaha. I'm gonna tell my little girl if she can get no Ns or Us. I don't think the grades will be a challenge, but she's only 2 and everyone says she's my little clone (horrible). :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Stevie Lee posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/8/3145295/nokia-lumia-sprint-verizon-pureview-richard-kerris

I really hope this is true. I'd drop Android in a second if Sprint put out a Nokia phone.

They updated it to say Sprint is not getting it, if I read it correctly. :(