Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Choicecut posted:

For those of you running CM7 on your Hero, I recently noticed some issues with music playback becoming choppy after about 15 minutes due to memory usage. I switched to AOSP CM7 and it seems to be a much much better rom.

AOSPCMOD

Edit: Make sure to change your CPU governer to OnDemand and bump up the min frequency.

I had that problem too and just changed to OnDemand and the problem cleared up without changing builds. I'll check out that rom you linked though, at this point I'm desperate to get every bit of speed out of this phone as I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

If it says you get a 1 year upgrade in June and that's what you want what's the problem?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I used to have SERO, after two years upgraded to a Hero and an EPRP plan to allow it. I remember talk that you could go back to SERO from EPRP if you previously had it, am I mis-remembering or too late to do this now?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Responding to texts and listening to voicemails on the computer rules.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Maggot Monster posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what's the current best phone (android) on sprint? My coworker has to upgrade and was asking me. Is it the Evo 4G?

Edit: I told him to wait for may 8th and get the nexus

Probably the Evo or Evo Shift, but unless he really loves one of those two phones he should just wait for the Nexus, or wait longer for the 3D. Otherwise he will be mad at himself down the road for not being able to wait a little for the new phones.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Ozmodiar posted:

Indeed...haha.

That said, I really wish I could set up "filters" in GV...similar to Gmail. Have some people's texts auto-delete after a certain period of time, flat-out ignore others, etc.

You can do this for calls by setting it up on the contact page, but I don't think you can do this for texts or voice mails.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Venkmanologist posted:

So sorry if this has been answered previously but I'm short on time for an answer.

We're looking to get the HTC Arrive for mom for Mother's Day. We're planning to get it from Amazon since its only $50 with a new 2-year agreement.

Whats the easiest way to port her number from US Cellular to Sprint if we are creating the new account through Amazon?

I just saw a Mother's Day commercial for this and was wondering who buys cell phones/contracts for other people as gifts. Now I've got my answer, thank you!

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Basically it makes it so you don't have to run the Google Voice app on your phone. If it's already installed you don't really need to bother.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Just buy an iPhone instead.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

nate fisher posted:

So you are saying that Android fans or Sprint users are not allowed to have phones that are not only power houses but look great?

Well I think we should be allowed to but that's not the way it is :(

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I don't really get the point of integration if you have a GV account and people are already calling its number. It seems like all it does is save you from running the GV app on your phone, and I certainly wouldn't want Sprint to get its hands on my GV account to begin with.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If your store associates were unaware of the subsidy pricing, then yeah, I can see why you sold none.

It sounded like they weren't a T-Mobile retailer (or whatever), so they could sell the phone but couldn't sign anyone up for T-Mobile plans, so they didn't sell any.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

averox posted:

I know sometimes I use the hell out of it. I just find it tough to imagine that they can keep it going for extremely long if you consider the trend towards mobile data usage and media rich phones.

Yeah all that competition in the market surely will force the wireless companies to offer unlimited data.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

It's really confusing that the new phone has a lower number than the old phone.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Well if you're turning over phones pretty quickly you're probably selling them for a decent amount on eBay or whatever.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

And the 3D can probably run like 47 different launchers at the same time without stress.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Is it even possible to tell the difference on a phone?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

Care to elaborate?

Ctrl + f "samsung" on every page of this thread, every mention of their phones is about how lovely they are.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Does anyone else still find it funny that there's a Sprint branded Nascar app pre-installed on every phone?

Adun posted:

Is there any reason to not get it over any of the other phones available (I don't really care about blackberry)?

The only real reasons are the large physical size (if that's a thing for you) and any bugs/general shittiness that may show up once people get their hands on them.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The Nexus S is closer to an iPhone though still bigger, Evos are enormous.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Official UPS policy is that the driver gets to take your stuff home!

But seriously I'm pretty sure you can contact Sprint and UPS and have the address changed mid-ship or have them hold it for you to pick up at the distribution center.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Admit it, you typed all that other stuff just so you wouldn't have to probate yourself for a personal shipment status, didn't you?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

How can you even fit anything in your pocket along with an Evo? Unless It's 1997 and you're wearing cargo pants.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Yeah but if you buy tasker you'll find other sweet uses for it anyway.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

How do you even control an N64 game?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

$500 what the gently caress? Just buy a real laptop instead.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I want a computer in my brain, and also an immortal robot body.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

goku chewbacca posted:

[EDIT]
Regarding that Samsung Within Galaxy S2, assuming they're measuring at the top and not the thicker bottom, 3mm thicker brings it to 11.49mm, or 0.45in. Its disappointing, but still thinner than the Evo and Evo3D.

Evo 3d it is!

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Any day 1 Hero users celebrating one last night with this piece of poo poo?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Wow I turned a thing upside down, let me make a youtube video about it.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

At every point of technological advancement you've had people saying "we're hitting a plateau, things aren't going to get much better than this."

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I'm upgrading from a Hero to a 3D, and am currently on the $60 EPRP 500 plan. I went to Best Buy and was told I would need to upgrade to the $80 plan with premium data. I left and went on Sprint's site which is telling me the same thing. Do I actually need to upgrade my plan? I thought all Sprint plans had the $10 charge for data rolled in years ago.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Thanks. I was on SERO before I switched to the Hero, is it still possible to switch SERO premium? What's the best way of doing that if it is?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Tunafish posted:

It was a hassle when I upgraded in a Sprint store to my evo 3d. The guy assured me that I needed to go to a $69.99 per month contract plus the $10 premium data fee. I held my ground on my $59.99 eprp plan and it magically showed up as an option in his system on the next step.

Cool. We'll see how it goes when I get the phone and try activating it tomorrow.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Whoa a whopping 779 MB per month, how can the wireless companies possibly keep up with this demand???

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Pretty sure you were just told that it's free with insurance.

And you got the warranty when you bought the phone, I guess if you don't like the terms you shouldn't have bought it.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The Bananana posted:

Hello, I have an Evo 4g, and I was wondering: is there a way to send texts that have bolded,italicized and/or underlined text formatting?

I don't know, but thanks for using the tags there since I didn't know what those words meant.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

daishan14 posted:

I am thinking of switching to sprint from AT&T. I am still under contract with them so I was hoping to get that port credit. The thing is, I might want the iPhone 5. What do you guys think my chances are of buying an SII on like 9/30, and exchanging it for the iPhone in October?

Probably good but why risk it? It's just a couple of weeks.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Basically the iPhone, honestly, "just works", which coming from the TP2 is something you might appreciate. Unfortunately "just working" is such an unusual engineering philosophy that the only way some vendors (the ones who make phones that suffer the above problems) can compete is to sue the poo poo out of Apple and make feeble attempts to block iPhones from sale in every market.

It's not about that, everyone sues everyone forever. That's just how tech patents work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The guy that wrote that article is dumb, he thinks that adding subscribers that use less data is still a bad thing since he forgets that those subscribers are actually paying for their service without sucking up network resources. Also he uses too many commas.