Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Jensen posted:

I've been using the GV integration since sometime last week and I have to say this is the greatest upgrade to my cell phone/smartphone owning experience since the motorola RAZR. Just kidding, but this is seriously awesome stuff that I can now do.

I sort of accidentally turned on GVoice integration and had a few questions (I thought there would be more steps than "click button NOW IRREVERSIBLE THING HAS BEEN DONE WITHOUT CONFIRMATION!!").

1) It says that international calls are done through GVoice. Is this required? On Sprint I was already paying for cheap international service as I call the UK somewhat frequently. Do I have to learn the GVoice system now?

2) What happens when I leave Sprint, does the number go away, or is it still my Google Voice number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Skeezy posted:

Wasn't the Sprint/GV thing supposed to happen on the 26th? What happened?

It happened for me. Maybe they're rolling out in phases?

Jensen posted:

It's not irreversible, you can turn it off in one click too.

1. It automatically routes through Gvoice for international calls now. From what I've seen, the rates are pretty low in gvoice.

2. Sprint still owns your number. If you leave Sprint you will lose the Google Voice stuff as well.
No kidding. That wasn't clear to me, I guess.

I was already using GVoice for voicemail, and don't really see much use of it beyond that. It's nice when your GVoice number moves with you, though.

In my situation I have exactly one phone number (my cell number) and don't care about recording voice calls or saving SMS messages. That and the Google Voice app looks butt ugly when used for text messaging.

Thanks for the info.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Just disabled my Google Voice integration with Sprint. It seems to have gone okay, I think, but now I can't switch back to Google Voice Lite like I was using before, and the Voice site itself seems to be the cause of the problem.

Basically, I can't access my settings anymore, except verrrry rarely, and when I do finally load the settings page (to get the forwarding number I need, or "add a new phone"), only Billing shows up, no other options.

In short this was a terrible idea and I am regretting every second of it.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Did anyone else get a phone call from Sprint "congratulating" you on reaching Silver? I was a bit pissed about that, actually. Congratulations, you're receiving less benefits!

I asked what the deal was, and was told that the revamped Sprint Premiere system was "due to feedback we received from customers". I sort of doubt that, unless I'm missing something?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

brc64 posted:

In all likelihood, they realized that it was too good a deal to give out to as many people as they did, but I vaguely recall them using the excuse that customers with 10 years of service were complaining because other people were able to get the same deal with much less of a commitment. Because, you know, people who are getting an awesome deal really care how many other people also get the awesome deal.

Next time I get some awesome deal from Sprint I'm going to call up and bitch about how too many other people are getting awesome deals too. Just out of spite.

I wasn't so much upset that I got bumped, as I was that they actually called me to congratulate me. That's like kicking me when I'm down, man.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

kahm posted:

with the google integration, putting my sprint number to google:

do you get texts to both the messaging apps AND the GV app? or just the GV app?

Didn't see this answered.

Interestingly, how it works is you can MAKE texts through either a SMS app or GV, but you only receive them through GV.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Jensen posted:

What, no you don't. You receive them on both too. You can make texts on either app and you can receive texts on your SMS app, GV app, or both.

SKYS THE LIMIT FRIEND.

Are those options? Out of the box, I could make texts from either app, but only received them in Voice. And any I sent from Voice wouldn't show up in a messaging app, but vice versa would show up in both.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

nate fisher posted:

I have a family member with each and prefer the Epic over the Shift if going for a phone with a keyboard. That could change if it runs into issues. I prefer HTC over Samsung but all the real positive reviews of the SGS2 has gotten my attention.

I would love the SGS2 if it had a kickstand. I use my phone at work sometimes to stream Netflix in the background on my desk, and the kickstand is VITAL.

Or a horizontal dock, but I don't think those exist.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Tatsujin posted:

Sprint literally calls me every day now. It must be because my contract is expiring. I am not really interested in reupping unless I can get a decent phone for cheap. Considering the Evo 3D is about to hit, think there will be a price drop soon on the Nexus S 4G?

I get pretty frequent calls too. And they actively try to trick me. And piss me off. It's ridiculous.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

XenoWolf posted:

I bought the Nexus S on the premise that whatever phone the Android Devs at Google carry, that's the phone I want. Looking at the Google I/O videos, the Nexus S was the phone to have as a Googler.

Hell, even the Nexus One got Netflix support in the first wave.

Duckman2008 posted:

just get to the store early. I could be wrong, but i don't see the demand being as big as the Evo was.
I'm constantly surprised by how popular the Evo is/was. I got a launch day device and I heard NOTHING about it outside of gadget blogs who spooj over every phone, and SA.

Now, at work, half the people I know with Android phones, which is an insanely growing number, have Evos.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Matlock posted:

There's a hacked APK over at XDA that removes Netflix's device check. I've gotten it to work on an Optimus S and a Nook Color without issue.

You missed my point, I was showing a recent example of the Nexus One getting official dev support and high priority despite not being the latest and greatest phone, most likely because it's a dev phone.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

JibbaJabbaJimmy posted:

I read that the Evo also had widespread reports of a weak radio when it was first released but this was fixed with OTA updates.

The Evo had widespread weak wifi when it was released, and that was what was fixed with an OTA update.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Jeratain posted:

I've been tempted by the Nexus S because I know it'll automatically get the latest and greatest Android software shortly after they are released. I also love the idea of having a vanilla Android phone.

On the flipside, I am tempted by the sheer monstrous specs of the EVO 3D. However I detest HTC Sense. Assuming there's an unlocked bootloader released for it, then I assume this means I need to wait for someone (e.g.: dev at XDA) to release a vanilla Android with the EVO 3D drivers built-in, or whatever custom-ROM they decide to throw together. Is this understanding correct?

You can also just throw LauncherPro or ADW or whatever on there, too.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

falz posted:

The launcher is just one part of Sense. Contacts, dialer, messaging, lock screen, background services are all other parts that need to be addressed to get rid of the Sense feel. The closest I could come on my Shift (pre CM7) was other launcher + widget locker + Go SMS which still left dialer, contacts and background services.

True enough. For contacts and dialer, I use Dialer One. Not sure about the background services.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Technogeek posted:

I had to upgrade from old SERO to SERO Premium when I bought my Evo. It actually wasn't very hard -- what I wound up doing was calling up and order the phone, have them bill it to mu account, and then call again once it arrived to activate and switch over to SERO Premium.

For what it's worth, Sprint refused to allow my Evo on EPRP. They claimed (both in-store and on the phone) that the extra $10 "4G charge" (yes, they called it that back then) wasn't allowed on the EPRP plan.

I did manage to talk the guy in the store into giving me a normal plan at EPRP prices through discounts. And then applied the "credit union" discount on top of it, so that worked out nicely.

Point is, as far as can a phone go on EPRP or not, your mileage may vary, as many people didn't have any problems with getting the Evo on EPRP. It depends on who you talk to.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

900ftjesus posted:

It's been a year now, so it should no longer be an issue for the most part. If you ever need good help with SERO or EPRP, call Employee Care. They actually know the EPRP/SERO/Employee plans and can help. Number on this page

Yeah, I mean, it worked out in the end but it was at the Evo launch, I had looked all day for one without luck, found one and grabbed it before the mob did, and so that guy was kind of in a position of power over me

But like I said it worked out for me, though I have heard of other people with issues so it's nice to see that link.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Well, that was a pleasant surprise. I sent a PM to a Sprint Premiere employee on the Sprint forum and asked him to restore my upgrade, despite a) being past the "end of May" cutoff, and b) being downgraded to Silver.

I saw a post on reddit (not sure if it was posted here) where AndroidPolice or some such forum was told to PM a specific person for requests to reactivate their upgrade. Was that posted already, or do you want me to link to it? I sort of lost track of the thread.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Man, I wish Sprint had a better offering of WP7 phones.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Lowen SoDium posted:

nothing really new in relation to Sense - Uh, what?

They didn't update Sense when they released the Evo. It was the same version as was on the Hero and whatnot. The Evo 3D has a new version of Sense running on it, 3.0, which adds some eye candy and stuff to it.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Jeratain posted:

Engadget
Summary: 7 / 10

Battery isn't as great as it should be (need to charge at least once in the day; Engadget got ~14 hrs and 22 mins).

Did you read what they said about that though? They claimed they "barely used it" in those 14 hours, then explained that they took 80 3D photos and 4 videos, and 8 hours of active use, as well as a bunch of other poo poo. What a terrible perspective, if that's "barely using" the device.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

change my name posted:

Cnet said they got through the day and into the next one with moderate to heavy use, so ????? Still it's gonna be a hard transition from the weeklong battery I have on my dumbphone

The same was said in another review (BGR?) when the 4G radio was off. The Engadget review was with the 4G radio on.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

900ftjesus posted:

I think it's odd that Engadget is the only source that said the battery is worse, where BGR and others said it's at least slightly better. I'm interested to see a review where they disable Rosie and stop using Sense widgets. Sense is decent looking, but it's drat sure not light on battery usage.

All in all, I'm still looking forward to it. They'll patch Sense a bit, which should improve battery life, and then CM7 should help even more.

Don't forget, the places that said battery life was slightly better were running without the 4G radio. Engadget seemed to be comparing (subtly, perhaps) the 3G battery life of the original Evo to the 3G/4G battery life of the Evo 3D.

With my Evo, I would say that 14 and a half hours or whatever of (let's face it, heavy usage) with 3G, 4G, and wifi on is a pipedream, so that sounds like a huge improvement.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

RyanManRules posted:

Just picked up a HTC Evo yesterday, and so far it has been amazing. For people that have/had one, what is the best choice of protecting it, case, or ghost armor?

Been rocking it naked since launch. I drop it infrequently, and there's not a scratch on it.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Choicecut posted:

I never quite understood why sense is hated so much either. It completely sucked balls on my Hero, but even rooted the phone still sucks poo poo through a tube. It's fine on other HTC phones. Looking forward to the pair of 3Deez coming next week and ditching these loving Hero junkpiles.

It's not exactly Sense people hate, it's that Sense is so entwined in the phone that its a bitch NOT to use it if you don't want to. So it sort of takes away some of the choice people love Android for.

Of course, it's possible to not use Sense, but it's not just adding a new Home app, either.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

nate fisher posted:

Example I had my EVO for a year now, and I am still very happy with it. I am so happy that I am not upgrading (I have a upgrade available) at this time.

I was thinking this too, but then I realized that I can sell my Evo and basically get a free upgrade. Worst case: I can trade it in to eBay for ~$150 and it's a $50 upgrade.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

SLOSifl posted:

I already got my upgrade reset and ordered from Amazon, so I hope they don't call back.

How does ordering through Amazon work? I have my upgrade on my account now, and want to buy the Evo 3D. I just know nothing about how Amazon works with Sprint or vice versa.

Also, do you get it delivered launch day?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

So can we order the Evo 3D in a few minutes? Just on the Sprint.com site or what?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Ordered my Evo 3D today, pretty exciting stuff. Hopefully it gets here quickly.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

brc64 posted:

I am looking forward to seeing all of the "this phone is awesome but the battery sucks" posts for the next couple of weeks before things even out like they did with the EVO 4G.

Yeah, what we (I) learned last time is that it takes ~a week for the battery life in most phones to sort of normalize. First week of the Evo was ridiculous, getting like 6-8 hours of charge with little use. It got much better in week 2, though. Not sure why this is. Lesson learned, though.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

spidoman posted:

Anyone get any information on if they'll process online Evo 3D orders before Friday? I tried asking on chat but the person was close to impossible to talk to.

I asked if Evo 3D orders would begin processing before friday and they proceeded to tell me information I could read on my order tracking. And then requested that I wait until Friday. So I asked straight out "So orders won't begin to be processed until friday?" And got the response "Yes, you are right ." Anyone checked up on this themselves through in store, phone, email, or more competent chat?

I was told on the phone today (they called me to verify literally every field I entered into the online form) that I would be receiving the phone in "2-5 business days".

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Weird. On the phone with Sprint right now. I got a call at like noon on my cell from them where they had me repeat every single goddamn textbox in the order form to them on the phone. I felt like they were trying to trip me up or something.

Then, at 1:30 or so, my PARENTS got a call from Sprint (their number was on the account previously) saying my order was in danger of being canceled unless I called them back immediately. I called the number they gave in the voicemail, and it's Chase Bank's support line. That was a very confusing conversation, since they didn't open with "thank you for calling Chase", they just asked for my account number, which they then confirmed was the same thing as my cell number.

Anyway, I have no idea what the gently caress is going on, and neither do they.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Mine says the order is not valid now Sprint what did you do?!

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

spidoman posted:

Try again. It's being super weird for me, but it looks to be working now. (Still hasn't shipped for me )

Sweet it's back. Also not shipped though.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Got my tracking number. Unfortunately, Sprint hosed up both taking down my address on the web AND confirming it on the phone. My company name / suite # were both cut off and the address itself was copied twice. I know I didn't enter it into the web that way, and I ESPECIALLY know I didn't read it back to them on the phone that way...

Anyone know what UPS does when they have a delivery to an office park with multiple suites but no suite #?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

diospadre posted:

Official UPS policy is that the driver gets to take your stuff home!

But seriously I'm pretty sure you can contact Sprint and UPS and have the address changed mid-ship or have them hold it for you to pick up at the distribution center.

I would do this but it's already "Out for delivery"...

It lists my address as:
#### Streetname#### Streetname
City, State Zip

I had our secretary or whatever put a giant sign that says if it's for me, it's for our company on the mailbox. Hopefully that's enough.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

sirbeefalot posted:

Also for anyone getting their 3Deez today: t

Right back atcha! t('.'t)

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Phone just got here too.

This thing feels SOLID. It's definitely taller and thinner than my Evo, and feels approximately the same weight. I love the feeling of the back, and the camera button is nice.

The camera button clicks in twice for me, which I think it's supposed to. It feels like there's two "levels" of clicking, each with a satisfying *click* noise.

Haven't turned it on yet because I have meetings.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

ShowTime posted:

The phone is so wide that is creates some typing complications if you use the single hand approach. When you type on a screen you tap the area with as little of your finger as possible. Because this phone is so wide, when you bring your thumb over to the left side of the phone to hit that area, your thumb has to stretch more and when you press down, a larger area of the phone is getting tapped because of how far your thumb has to stretch.

For anyone who reads this and currently has an Evo: it is actually thinner than the Evo 4G.

SLOSifl posted:

Click to focus, click more to shoot.
I figured that was the case, I thought it was weird there would be two actual clicks. I've had cameras where you kind of half-hold down the button to focus, but it's never felt like pressing a button.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

The Entire Universe posted:

The weather on the lockscreen is of the "You have to be making GBS threads me" variety.
In a good way? I think it's awesome.

We're thunderstorming hard out here in MA right now, and I put the weather live wallpaper on, and it was loving epic. Zooming though black thunder clouds as lightning crashed everywhere... beautifully epic.

edit: Just in case people didn't know / forgot, the Evo 3D comes with Swype preinstalled, just log-press a textbox, input method, Swype. It's already enabled, just have to select it.

Myrddin Emrys fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2011 around 19:40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

MatCauthon posted:

Edit: Saw some first hand reviews today saying that call quality sucks and some people are having trouble connecting to Internet, can anyone comment?
Call quality is fine. There's nothing wrong with it. Person on the other end said there was a sliiight "tin" sound, and then said it sounded like any other cell phone.

As for the internet, I am not having a problem with it, no. What were the issues, specifically?

«2 »