Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

MatCauthon posted:

IIRC, something about the connection having trouble switching from 4G to 3G or vice versa which caused slow load time for websites, and some tinny noise on the caller end or garbled sounding audio on the receivers end.

Well the receiver did say it sounded a bit tinny, yes, but she said it was just normal cell/smartphone quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
One nice touch on Sense 3.0 is that the widget elements are actually animated independently. When you spin from, say, the main home screen with the clock/weather widget to something else, you can see the clock rollers on the side of the numbers, and you can see the other numbers underneath. The text also lifts off separately and moves at a different speed.

This is also really obvious on the weather widget. Just slowly move from page to page (reaaaalllly slowly) and you can see the temperature text rotate and "lift" off the weather background.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Used the 3D a bunch last night. Showed my girlfriend the phone, and while Sense 3.0 blew her away, she thought it was pretty similar to the Evo 4G, so I showed her the 3D camera. She got really excited, which is unusual because neither of us cares much about 3D stuff. But we started goofing around taking 3D pictures of our cats and 3D videos where she rolled a volleyball towards the camera, stuff like that.

She went from "oh that's neat I guess" to "holy crap this is awesome" because of that...

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

letsgoflyers81 posted:

^ No, wipe the phone and start over from scratch.
But if you wipe the phone are't you really just rolling back the update?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

SLOSifl posted:

At this point? After one day?

It's just overreacting, the pre-launch update erased something from a list and the only way to restore it right now would be to wipe I guess? I'm fairly confident we'll get another update before the official launch tomorrow restoring the icon.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

SLOSifl posted:

Probably, yes. But if there's any time to start over, it's probably today. If there isn't an update for a week or more, it will only get harder to do a wipe as time goes on.

But like the guy said, it's one icon, it's not like the dialer isn't working or anything. Replace it with something else, or get Dialer One, problem solved.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

a shameful boehner posted:

What's the difference between Dialer One and the stock dialer?

Look and feel, maybe? At least if you're talking about the stock HTC dialer. The real stock dialer is missing a lot of features that're in Dialer One (like smart dialing contact names, for example).

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

snKestren posted:

I think the Spiderman app was just a coincidence.

I found another guy online who had the same exact problem with his phone just suddenly dying. Completely bricked. LED light doesn't even turn on when I plug it in. Hopefully it was probably just a bad phone and not indicative of anything.

Phone support was able to "confirm my Premiere account," however, and set up an appointment for a store to look it. I made it this far with WM6.5, another five hours won't kill me.

Dumb question but did you fully remove the plastic from the battery?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

a shameful boehner posted:

I didn't realize this, but the ability to adjust the height of the view in maps on the 3D by dragging two fingers down in a \/ shape is really excellent.

It's not a V-shape, it's actually a | | shape. Two fingers, up and down. You can also use two fingers and twist them to rotate the map around.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

big mean giraffe posted:

Excuse me but you'll find I already said that :colbert:
You're right, please accept my most sincere apology.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

big mean giraffe posted:

By being a full grown man and wearing pants that aren't tight?

Skinny jean wearer located!

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

fagalicious posted:

Log into gmail on your computer, click contacts, then more actions. Click Find and merge duplicates.

How will that affect contacts that are stored on his phone?

Rurutia posted:

I come from an OLD Blackberry Curve and need to get used to the shorter battery life. I used to be able to leave my Blackberry on for 3 days before it ran out of battery (very low usage).

A lot of people are reporting much battery life than I am experiencing at this point. I went from 94%->89% just now after an hour off the wall and I spent ~20min browsing the web, the rest of the time it was on standby. :smith:

The first week or so there's going to be some wildly inaccurate battery reporting and also some breaking in of the battery. As an example, yesterday I went from 100% charge to 40% in about 3 hours (starting at 8AM) with virtually no usage. Then I plugged it in for 15 minutes, it went up to 80%, and lasted me until 10 at night. Battery poo poo will be weird for a while. Give it a little time.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

900ftjesus posted:

Anyone else using Launcher Pro on the 3D? I noticed that the app drawer animation is really choppy, not scrolling through icons, but the drawer opening effect. Everything else is incredibly smooth except for the drawer opening. I set it to instant open for now, just wondering if anyone else is seeing this.

Do you have Rosie turned off?

Funnily what you are seeing is EXACTLY what I saw with the original Evo (eh, there might have been a little slowdown in switching screens, I don't remember) and everyone told me my phone was faulty.

If I remember right, Rosie kept turning itself back on and it was a crazy resource hog. Not sure if that's also your problem, but it's worth checking into.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

TLG James posted:

How come not all my apps transfered to the new phone? Mainly angry birds...

What did you do to transfer? The way the market seems to work is that any purchased apps will re-sync with your device, but free apps (like Angry Birds + ads) don't get permanently attached to your account, so you have to manually redownload them.

Are you missing only your free apps?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

TLG James posted:

Looks like it. All my apps were free though, I haven't bought one app ever.

Stuff like fandango, USAA banking apps, and all those redownloaded just fine.

I'm wondering if it's something that app developers have to manually trigger (the "register the app with Google" thing). Do the apps even show in your "My Apps" list? My free apps don't unless they're already installed.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

fagalicious posted:

Unless the evo 3d is different from any other android phone I have used, it syncs them with gmail automatically so the issue should be in his google account as well..

Any Android phone can have several kinds of contacts - one of which is Google, which is the sync you're talking about, and another is a phone contact, which is only local storage. As in, it stays on the phone itself, like a dumbphone contact. You can have both of these on your phone at the same time.

If that's what he's talking about when he says local contacts or whatever, then changing things in Gmail Contacts on the web won't affect local contacts at all.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Rurutia posted:

The battery life on my 3d has just been improving massively. Today its sitting at 23 and I watched all of green hornet, used youtube for 30 min, browsed SA randomly throughout the day, and texted heavily throughout the day. I'm at 10 hours in so far on definitely heavy use.

Same here. First few days I was lucky to get 10 hours with light to moderate, yesterday I got 14 with heavy usage (was at Six Flags and played Game Prix Story and trivia games through the lines, and during the 3 hours of driving, with wifi, 3g, and bluetooth on).

I also run the screen pretty bright because damnit I like bright screens.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

zer0spunk posted:

please tell me you shot 3d video while on a ride?

We seriously tried but the staff told us not to :( If I could have found a stealth way to do it that I felt comfortable doing without losing my phone, I would have.

We took some 3D video of the rides passing overhead but most of the time they were too far away to really benefit from 3D (though the supporting beams in the foreground were pretty neat)

goku chewbacca posted:

Since it was brought up, can anyone recommend a trivia game reminiscent of Trivial Pursuit? More like its choice of topics, not moving around a game board.

I already picked up Bible Quiz - Who am I?, but I want something my hellbound friends can play.
I'd actually like to know this too but the only thing we found was some crappy freeware movie trivia game (and like 100 other trivia games by the same guy). I really want a "You Don't Know Jack" or something for Android.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

sonicice posted:

My only complaint so far is hitting the Home/Menu/Back/Search buttons by accident while I'm trying to do something else, but I suppose I just need to learn how to hold my phone properly. Everyone I have shown the 3D effect to so far is blown away by it.

Yeah, today I showed the phone to a bunch of jaded developers at work and they were amazed and actually said "I think I need to get one of these immediately".

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Sorry for the double post, but I find this very interesting. My EVO can no longer receive text messages or picture mail. I've tried it with CM7, a fresh install of Fresh, and a fresh install of rooted Stock, and it doesn't work on any of them. I've done a PRL update and Profile update a few times, and I installed the newest radios, but nothing has fixed it. I switched my account to a Samsung Moment I have laying around and texting works fine, which pretty much puts this solely on my phone and not on my service. Is it possible for something hardware-wise to keep messages from coming in? I can still receive them via Google Voice (I'm integrated but I've tried disabling it) but not the normal way. It is completely baffling me. I'm out of my warranty period and don't have TEP so if it's somehow a hardware issue I'd guess I'm SOL.
The same thing happened on my Evo when I switched to Google Voice integration. Texts would come in only through Google Voice, not through Messaging. I turned off the Google Voice integration, though, and it worked fine.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
The battery life on the Evo 3D is noticeably better than the Evo 4G. I struggled to get through a full day with my normal use on the 4G, but with the 3D yesterday I had an hour phone time, couple hours of gaming, along with some Pandora and browsing, with BT and Wifi on, and I plugged in after 19 hours with over 20% battery left.

Good times!

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Chunk posted:

Sense is beautiful, but I really wish there was a better element of customization, in particular maybe if the widgets weren't almost entirely all gigantic.

You know there are multiple sizes for most of the HTC widgets, right? When you're adding them you get a preview window and if you scroll left/right you can see more variations. I believe most widgets have smaller versions than the defaults (except bookmarks, of the few I looked at)

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

nate fisher posted:

What I hate about Sense is its ancient launcher and app drawer. Widgets size not a issue for me.

What's ancient about it?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Duckman2008 posted:

I just hate that the Sense 3.0 Launcher is a grid and you have to flick up to see apps in blocks of 5, instead of a smoother transition. Drives me nuts everytime i play with it. Probably my only gripe on sense 3.0.

I actually kind of prefer that over Launcher Pro / stock Android style. The reason for this is I have a nasty habit of over-swiping to my apps. I'm not super precise with it. So knowing it's "two swipes" instead of "a swipe of x speed" is nicer for me.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

RodShaft posted:

I'm still kinda a Android virgin... is there an easy way to swap between programs you are currently using. Like holding a txt conversation while playing angry birds.
You can hold down Home to get a list of "recently used apps" to quickly switch between them.

quote:

I've found a lot of apps I like(and use... mostly anything by google) but there is a LOT of crap out there. Some of my complaint is device specific, I'll find a recommended app like for reading comics and it won't work well in tablet mode.
That's because it's not really a tablet, it's some weird hybrid and the apps just treat it like a big phone screen with a weird resolution.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Jeratain posted:

1) What happens if I decide to install the Market version - will it show up as a separate app or will it replace the existing one?

Just tested it, and it overwrites the old one.

The only root app I want is Titanium Backup,

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Jeratain posted:

Does it actually "replace" the Sense launcher, or does it just run in parallel as another launcher? I noticed that both seem to be running simultaneously when I installed LauncherPro and that just didn't seem efficient.

It runs parallel, and it runs slower.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

You can force close Rosie so it's not running, but the launcher itself doesn't actually go anywhere.
In my experience, though, the process restarts if you use HTC apps.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

traveling midget posted:

I ran non-Sense versions of Android on my Evo4G, and they all auto-downloaded previously downloaded apps (paid/non-paid) when I would set up the phone. AFAIK that feature was disabled by HTC.
This didn't happen for me in CM7 or Sense-based ROMs. Or honeycomb, for that matter. Paid apps only, all around.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

brc64 posted:

Assuming it's like the EVO 4G, there is no roaming indicator that will show up at the top. In fact, unless it's changed in Sense 3.0, it won't even tell you when you're on 1x (it always just displays 3G even if you're not getting 3G).

What? Both the Evo 4G and the Evo 3D had both roaming and 1x indicators. In fact every time I go into the bathroom at work, my phone switches to roaming and I get the triangle indicator on the UI. Same was true on the 4G.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

brc64 posted:

Are you running CyanogenMod? Because the stock UI only displays 3G. It's possible that got changed in a later update, I guess, but I am 100% certain that when the phone launched, there was no 1x indicator. It was a bit of a controversy at the time.

Hmm, you could be right about 1x, I haven't been on Sprints network without 3G in so long, now that you mention it.

There absolutely IS a roaming indicator icon though.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Loucks posted:

This is not at all the case for the EVO 3D. I'm looking at a GPS icon with a backslash through it now.

Then turn the GPS radio on. It only uses battery when it's actively being used, so unless you're paranoid about someone tracking your phone, just turn it on.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Duckman2008 posted:

Depends, I work in one of the richest areas of the country in a mall (Franklin tn)
That's one of the richest areas in the country?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

big mean giraffe posted:

They don't even start thinking about throttling til past 5gb, and up to that point the speeds are fantastic. I was regularly getting 3mbit/sec+ on my Nexus One.

Friend of mine on T-Mobile hit the 5GB cap like a week after the Netflix app was released. He still had ~2 weeks left in the month and he said it was hell.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Heh, called up to find out my ETF for Sprint the other day, at the time I was shopping around for a new carrier. Guy I talked to told me the number and didn't bother with any sort of retentions at all. Then he asked, "you switching to another carrier?" I told him maybe, and he said "Man, hope you find something better out there, good luck!" and hung up.

Kind of bizarre.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Mark Larson posted:

If you have a family plan with a corporate discount on Sprint, you may be able to get out of contract without an ETF because of the plan structure changes. There are reports of people calling in and getting their contracts waived.

Eh, already switched to T-Mobile and they covered my ETFs anyway. I wasn't on a family plan, unfortunately, nor corporate discount :(

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Auron posted:

I called Sprint to cancel TEP on my Evo4G, and decided to ask about the Galaxy Nexus as well...what a mistake that was. The guy had no clue what I was talking about and asked 4 times if I was talking about the Galaxy S or the Epic touch...do they just not train anybody in customer service? I even talked to a supervisor who had no clue what I was talking about either, or anything about 4G LTE.

I had a friend shopping for the Nexus and he went to Sprint to ask about it. I guess the salesguy told him it was the worst phone in existence and he should really check out the iPhone instead.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Giblet posted:

Some sales people only know how to sell one thing moderately well. It's one thing to make a recommendation based on qualitative questions but you should never talk down about a product.

Yeah, I believe the phrase he used was "buggiest phone ever released".

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

big mean giraffe posted:

If by soon you mean as many as 4-5 months from now because we don't really know when it's coming out then yeah.
To be fair, to phone carriers that IS "soon".

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

big mean giraffe posted:

The Incredible wasn't even announced until something like 2 weeks before it launched and it was a Droid line phone, and we know how Verizon loves their advertising.

And the Evo 4G was announced just over 2 months before it came out, not 6.

For some brand new phones, sure. On the other hand, the Lumia 900 was announced as "coming soon" to the UK, and most people think that means "June". The Pre was announced what, a year before launch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

td4guy posted:

Wow, that's cheap. Did you at least have the ESRP insurance, rather than TEP?

Wait why did he have to pay anything? It was still under manufacturer's warranty and that sounds like a problem with the device.