Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astiesan
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, about that.

Ryven posted:

So I've been looking at getting a new phone finally and I pretty much have it narrowed down to 3 choices. The HTC EVO Shift, Samsung Epic 4g and the Nexus S 4g ( if it worth me waiting till it comes out).

I do like messing around with customization and I'll probably look into getting ROMs. From what I've read it sounds like I should get the Shift, but I really do like the screen on the Epic/Nexus a lot.

Do ROMs make that big of a difference in using the phone that I should just balance the purchase off of that?

For what it's worth, the Epic and the Nexus S have the EXACT same CPU and GPU, same model number, same 540 graphics core. So in terms of compute capability, they are identical.

I'm in a similar situation myself. My contract is up with Verizon, I'm on someone else's plan, and I will be getting off when the contract is up. I've chosen to go with Sprint because of the 20% discount I get from my employer, and I've pretty much decided I'm going to go with the Epic. I've played with the Evo and Evo Shift, the Evo is way too big, and the shift just doesn't feel right in my hand. The Epic has a freaking great screen and gorilla glass front.

I currently have an original Motorola Droid, the Epic is somewhat similar in size and hand-feel. Now I've rooted and modded the poo poo out of my droid, but from my understanding that's really not even required with the Epic because it's just flatly fast to begin with.

I guess I'm kind of submitting and opinion and asking for feedback, as I said I'll be picking up Sprint with a fresh contract in 1-2 months. I really want a hardware keyboard though. I remote desktop back home a lot, and trying to use any kind of remote desktop software with a software keyboard is nigh impossible.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I'm also anxious to see how the GV works out. I pretty much only give out my voice number now, so I'd probably take the option to have a separate number and forward it, but GV is still my primary number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astiesan
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, about that.

CharlesM posted:

What about the HTC Arrive?

Oh no please. Not another Windows phone.

I had a few of them, I don't have any of them anymore, and didn't quickly.

On another topic, the person earlier who was saying about the Epic:

Do you own one and for how long? Do you regret the purchase?

In regards to the Shift:

I really didn't like the keyboard on the shift, that's why I kind of discounted it. The idea was excellent, but it was far from the best HTC keyboard I've used, I know several Epic owners, they haven't ever had any complaints about the keyboard and one of them spends practically 8 hours a day texting, so I think he'd know pretty fast.

Doesn't the Shift have a 100% locked down bootloader as well? Poking around the internet it doesn't look like they have a fully working root for it yet.

Astiesan
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, about that.
I've heard that you can get Sprint service without giving a SSN. Is this correct?

Astiesan
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, about that.

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes, but you will need two forms of ID. Possibility of a deposit does also go up. If you have a social unless your credit really sucks always use it.

I'm guessing this will only be through a corporate store, and no 3rd-party is going to touch it?