Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Ned_Perfel posted:

My bill is right about $87 before tax. What's the cheapest way to get it above $90 so I can get in premier gold and get the 12 month upgrades? I already have phone insurance.

What options do you currently have on your phone?

Can you add TEP?
Roadside Assistance?

Those are the first two things that come off the top of my head that you might not have...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

chizad posted:

As I understand it, insurance, the $10 smartphone fee, etc don't count towards premier gold status (and discounts don't count against you either). Your base plan has to be above the $89.99/mo mark for you to be gold. As an individual this means the $99.99/mo Simply Everything plan or the 900 min/mo Everything Data plan at $89.99.

Yep. You're correct now that I did a little Googling.

http://premier.sprint.com/premierupdate/index.php

Which means that you have to be on the "Simply Everything" plan for $99.99, or on the "Everything Data 900" plan for 89.99.

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 27, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

CharlesM posted:

I'm gonna repost this question from the last thread since it got closed.

You can get a notification of a new voicemail 3 way from Google Voice:

1. Through the Google Voice App. (Which also displays the text transcription, and you can play the voicemail from within the app. No need to "call in" by holding #1 on your dialpad).

2. Via Gmail.

3. Via SMS.

If you have a smartphone, you can do any combination of all 3. If you have a dumbphone, you can still get notification of a new voicemail via SMS, and you can then call in to your Google Voice number and access your voicemail that way.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

CharlesM posted:

I've started getting the SMSes now. Pretty cool. For Windows Mobile there is just the web based interface, no app. But it works about the same.

Glad to help. I've been on GV for a long time now, and I'm quite fond of it.

The integration with Android is seriously awesome though...and it was one of the top reasons I switched to Android.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
When I finally convert my number to a GV number, does that mean I can assign my Sprint line with a new number? And I'll be able to take my original number to another carrier, should I so desire, without canceling my Sprint account?

If you do a FULL PORT to Google Voice, it essentially makes Google the "owner" of your number instead of Sprint (like if you ported from Sprint to Verizon, for instance).

Lets say your current Sprint number is 555-555-5555, and you port it to Google Voice. You would then get a new number from Sprint (because any carrier MUST assign a phone number to your ESN number (or SIM card on GSM networks))...lets call this 444-444-4444. So, you would assign 444-444-4444 as one of your forwarding numbers in Google Voice, not bother to give any of your friends/family the 444-444-4444 number, and when people call 555-555-5555, it'll be like nothing ever changed as far as they're concerned.

If you do port your number to GV though, it will instantly cancel your current account with Sprint. It's no different than porting to another carrier.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

hoonchops posted:

I understand how you could arrive at this conclusion, but how on earth could sprint cancel your account AND give your device a new number? Surely its more likely the port request would cancel your account and service. Then you're stuck with your google voice account using your former-sprint number, but no actual cell service to forward calls to.

unless this is what you wanted in the first place?

If you do a full port then this is exactly what happens.

This new "Use Sprint through Google Voice" is another story. Using Sprint through GV is just a back-end agreement between Sprint and Google to handle the network traffic appropriately.

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
I'm talking about the Google Voice integration thing that Sprint announced.

Gotcha. We weren't on the same page then.

No, Sprint will not give you a "new number" for your phone, because you are not doing a full port.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

WoG posted:

the problem is that he's talking about porting as it exists now, rather than the forthcoming sprint /Google integration. the tech details on that aren't fully known yet, it's only in press release stage at this point.

They've already said that Sprint will maintain control of your existing number though.

EDIT:

Still looking for the article I read that in...but this is a good starter for people interested in this.

https://www.sprint.com/googlevoice

EDIT 2:

From the Sprint Press Release:

quote:

"With this integration, we have made Google Voice simple to use with a Sprint phone," said Dave Girouard, president at Google. "Sprint subscribers now have access to all the benefits of Google Voice behind their existing mobile number without the need for porting or, if they already have a Google Voice number, they can display that number from their Sprint phone without the need for a separate application."

quote:

Sprint is the only carrier that allows the user to assign their existing mobile phone number as their Google Voice number without having to port their number, avoiding porting charges, potential service disruptions and the hassle of calling their carrier to terminate and port their number to Google Voice and then re-subscribe with another number. Sprint’s integration with Google simplifies and shortens the process of moving a phone number to Google Voice to mere minutes.

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 29, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

St. Blaize posted:

I too am wondering how the new premier changes will affect my current upgrade date, currently it is July 1st, am I gonna have to wait another year?

Yes. It was linked earlier in the thread. Premier changes on April 1st, and if you don't/can't upgrade before then, you're out of luck.

Basically, the general consensus was "it's really lovely of Sprint to not give everyone a "one last upgrade"...but they didn't and there's nothing anyone can do about it".

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

gaan kak posted:

What if I can upgrade on April 1st? I'm the non-primary line on a Premier Silver account, if it matters. Does that mean that the primary line's upgrade (scheduled for June 1st) will just evaporate come April 1st?

It's my understanding that if you're on a Silver Account, the Primary Line will no longer be eligible for the "full upgrade" on a yearly basis.

One of the Sprint guys who frequent the thread will be able to explain it better than I can.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Helpful Information

First, thank you for the information. It is very helpful.

Second, This confirms a suspicion I've had for some time...Sprint has my account screwed up (despite my NUMEROUS attempts to get it corrected), and it looks like I got screwed out of my 1 year upgrade, and my brother got it somehow.

So...here's my problem - My line is supposed to be the primary line on the account. Somehow it got changed to my brothers line between me getting the EVO last June, and him getting his Epic in February. He used to have a Palm Pre, and it was on the fritz, so he asked me when he could upgrade. Without thinking, I quickly logged into the Sprint website, saw he was eligible, and we went to the Sprint store.

Now, according to the website you just linked us to, my phone is eligible for a 1 year upgrade on 6/1/11, and a 2 year upgrade on 4/1/2012...so it seems pretty clear that they screwed up somehow.

My question is - How do I get this fixed? Am I completely hosed on getting my 1 year upgrade in June, or do I have some sort of chance to actually get my 1 year upgrade? Any help would be appreciated, kind sir.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Mahoning posted:

I could see this all being a problem normally, but the point is moot because as of friday, the primary line won't be any different than any other line.

...except I qualify for Gold Status, since I've been a customer for 11 years.

Sorry. I suppose I did completely fail at mentioning that, didn't I?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think he's confused on one year upgrade. The Premier one-year full upgrade (ie the same discount as a new line on a two year contract) is going away in a few days. The normal one-year upgrade ($75 off and no rebates, which is pretty poo poo) is staying.

*sigh*...Obviously my brain isn't thinking things all the way through tonight.

I have Premier Gold status.

The line that should be my primary line is not.

The line that should be eligible for the Premier Gold upgrade in June is listed as my secondary line, and the website that Mahoning just posted confirmed this for me, by telling me I can do the $75 off (1 year upgrade) in June, and the full upgrade ($150 off plus rebates) in April 2012.

Sorry for causing confusion, guys.

EDIT:

And of COURSE my stupidity gets displayed as the first post on a new page. God hates me tonight.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

In that case, between that and the fact that you have 11 years with Sprint...your upgrades won't change at all. If you want the Premier one-year upgrade on your line, you'll need to get Sprint to switch which one is primary, and then wait for the next time that upgrade becomes eligible based on when it was used on the other line.

That's the weird part though -

I got a Palm Pre in June 2009 (same day as my brother), and I got an EVO in June 2010, which means I shouldn't have been eligible for another Premier Gold upgrade until June 2011.

But, since my brother's line got switched over to the Primary line, it somehow made his line eligible for the full Premier Gold (1 year) upgrade and it went through just fine in February 2011. This is 2 months before the "2 year" (22 months) upgrade should have been eligible, and 4 months before the 1 year Premier Gold upgrade should have been available.

What irks me is that unless I can get really lucky, I'm only going to get $75 off the EVO 3D/ Nexus S because Sprint screwed up on my account details and on the upgrade cycle. Yes, it makes me come off as greedy, but it wasn't my mistake to catch, and it really sucks that I will likely not get the upgrade that I should get, and end up paying an assload more money for the new phone I want.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

plester1 posted:

Wait, is it active for you now? I thought it was still a few months away.

I thought so too.

Please, do tell.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Mahoning posted:

How to fix this? Well, call customer service. Now. Seriously, they can change it but it takes several billing cycles to go into effect.

Well, I emailed them instead of calling them, so at least I'd have a record.

It looks like it might (finally) be solved...though this is the 3rd or 4th time I've brought this up. All previous attempts were via phone.

So, since things got flipped around once and allowed both lines on my account to upgrade within the last year, here's to hoping that I'll get lucky and switching this back will enable me to keep my upgrade after all.

FISHMANPET posted:

I got an email last night from Sprint/Google Voice that I could switch my number, so I did. It looks like texts I send from the text messaging up show up in Google Voice, and when people respond, I get a notification from Google Voice, but they never show up in my messaging inbox. I'm not sure how to configure Google Voice to send messages from my Sprint number instead of my GV number.

Hopefully Sprint/Google get around to rolling this out to me soon then...

I'm looking forward to trying this out.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Heffer posted:

Is it possible to add a new line on a new plan without signing a new two year contract? I currently have a phone on a month to month SERO plan, and want to add a new phone for my mom without committing to a two year anything.

No.

I had a friend who was in a bad situation, and I tried to help them out, but Sprint wouldn't let me do anything without a new two-year contract.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Heffer posted:

So what's the best carrier to go for a month-to-month or prepaid on?

I think the best deal going is the $25 Unlimited Plan from Virgin Mobile.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

SneakyCracker posted:

Anybody got any good recommendations on ROMs?

I would be interested in suggestions too...since my brother picked up an Epic.

You, sir, are a better man than I am. I went out and BOUGHT MY OWN phone to use at work instead of that WinMo 6 POS.
\/\/\/\/\/\/

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 4, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Technogeek posted:

Actually, the Q was WinMo 5. (I used to have one.)

HAHA. Oops. Was the Q9x (or whatever the gently caress the "updated" Q was called) WinMo 6? Maybe I'm thinking of that.

EDIT:

Binge just posted this over in the Rooted thread.

Binge posted:

Has there been any discussion about this: P3Droid's news about upcoming policy changes with US Carriers regarding rooting.

So the big US Carriers are apparently getting pissed about rooted phones, and mainly the ability to tether. I have a Xoom, and an OG Droid, both have Verizon plans. I pay 30/mo for unlimited on the droid, and 20/mo for 1gb on the Xoom. My Droid has already had to be its tether when I went over my 1gb in my first month. I know there's the argument that it's their business, and they're trying to protect themselves. But this seems quite ridiculous. Is Verizon not raking in money by the second from billions of text message fees, data plans noone comes close to using their max on, etc? Do they really need to piss off an entire segment of their users to make a few extra bucks? Is it not ridiculous that I have 3 devices on my Verizon plan, and 3 different data plans? Plus data at home with my ISP?

I dunno, they're gonna have to pry my rooted/gingerbreaded Droid from my dead fingers before I return it to stock, if everything P3Droid is saying in that post is true.

I thought I'd ask here to see if any of the Sprint-people can comment on the linked article...

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 5, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Chappy posted:

It's literally an M&P that went into effect today. It should be on RSP.

Well, that's good news.

Does this mean that it's not a "requirement" for me to flash back to stock if I have a problem anymore?

td4guy posted:

Use the link to Russ McGuire's blog in the OP.
From that thread... What Is Carrier IQ? Why Should We Care?
Samsung products just keep getting better and better.

Well, this doesn't make me happy to see. Has anyone reached out to Sprint to ask why?

900ftjesus posted:

I doubt it's because of them being the "good" carrier, although I want to believe they're going to be the more friendlier carrier that plays dumb pipe instead of playing the content provider/ISP game that cable companies play.

The systems and measures VZW and ATT are possibly working on, I'll believe it when I see it, cost some serious money as well as customers. They've already admitted their networks are overloaded by going with tiered data, and now they're going for the kill by telling you how you can use your overpriced 2 GB of data and your phone.

Sprint can just be cool about stuff, not spend the money, not piss people off, and just be an ISP. They're presenting an actual alternative to the duopoly for business reasons/saving their butts. I doubt it works, most people are stupid and will pay a lot for very little because "oooohhh the iphones!!!!", but at least it's something.

This is pretty much how I feel about Sprint, down to the last word...and one of the top reasons I'm still a Sprint customer.

And "oooh! the iPhones!" is the reason why most of my friends are on AT&T/Verizon.

900ftjesus posted:

It will be interesting to watch the Android community migrate from T-Mobile to Sprint over the next year. I know it's not a big group but I'm interested to see if it's noticeable over the next few quarters.

I hadn't even thought about this. Hopefully it'll not only be a boost to Sprint's customer base, but it'll mean more aftermarket support for Sprint phones.

heat posted:

If you are male and the EVO is too big for the pocket on your jeans then you are wearing girls jeans.

Even then, my 5'9" 115 lb girlfriend can fit my EVO in her pocket...

Seriously, if you're male and you can't fit the EVO in your pocket, it's time to buy grownup pants.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Chappy posted:

Yep.

Score.

What's funny is that every Sprint rep I've talked to in the last year in a store had a rooted phone anyhow...haha.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Drevoak posted:

How does Google Voice do SMS? Will it be more reliable and on time then regular SMS?

This summed it up pretty well for me:

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-beta-testing-google-voice-integration

quote:

Hello,
You have been invited to start enjoying the benefits of the Sprint integration before anyone else! We are interested in your feedback as we roll this out to the entire user base and have listed an email address below where you can send feedback and or questions.
There are two ways to enable the integrated service:
1. Option 1: Keep your Sprint number (all the benefits of porting without the need to). In this case, your Sprint number becomes your Google Voice number so that when people call your Sprint mobile number, it rings all the phones you want.
How to enable this: click on the "change/port" link next to your GV # in the settings page, choose the option to use your existing number, enter your Sprint number and select the Sprint option.
2. Option 2: Replace your Sprint number with your Google Voice number (all the benefits of the app without the need for one). In this case, all calls made from your Sprint phone will display your Google Voice # natively (same for SMS).
How to enable this: click on the "enable Google Voice on your Sprint phone" link next to your Sprint forwarding phone. If the link does not show, click on edit and use the link to verify whether your phone is eligible.
In both cases, Google Voice replaces Sprint voicemail (pressing one on your phone links you to your Google Voicemail) and international calls made from the Sprint phone will be connected by Google Voice. Integrating your account with Sprint means you will still get the benefits of Any Mobile Any Time if that is included in your service plan.
Important Notes:
The integrated service only works with a valid Sprint mobile number.
For this early release, Sprint support channels will not be available for support, including Sprint Retail Stores, Sprint Customer Care, Sprint Telesales, Sprint Direct Sales Reps, etc.
If you need support, please direct your questions/comments to voice-sprint-preview@googlegroups.com with your Sprint or Google Voice number listed.
If you use the Google Voice app on Android, you will need to log out and log back in to make sure the app stops using call interception.
Thanks,
Vincent Paquet, on behalf of the Google Voice team
© 2011 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043
You are receiving this email announcement because you requested to be notified when the Sprint integration was available.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

mophomanners posted:

It's alive and well?...:tipshat:

How does Kalamazoo, MI get WiMax before Toledo, OH?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh for crying out

I want a phone that works when I push a button. I also want it to be a smart phone. It would seem that these two are mutually exclusive.

Put it this way - my fiancé has something called an LG Chocolate which was made before any of us had a Blu-ray player, and it does this weird thing where when you push a button, it actually does something. It's just amazing. I'd kinda expect the All Power HTC Mogul!!! to be able to do that, but no. Looking at the specs, surely an HTC Hero could load a webpage before I "fix" the phone with the bottom of my shoe?

Your anger is my amusement. I laughed hard enough that I cried reading your posts.

Seriously, pick up an HTC Hero for like $50 off ebay/craigslist, significantly reduce your stress, and live long enough to buy the EVO 3D / Nexus S 4G when the come out in a couple months. Then, sell the Hero for $25-$50 to some idiot who still wants one.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

jaku78 posted:

Is there any reason to get the Nexus S over the EVO 3D? I'm holding onto an old sammy moment that while it was a great phone, certainly isn't great anymore. I can't really decide. Oh, and am I making a great leap going from keypad to no keypad? I don't mind trying new stuff its just if I'm going to hate the drat typing experience on it I might just grab a shift right now instead.

Depends.

If you care about rooting and custom ROMs, then the Nexus S might be the better choice...but we won't know until we can see if the EVO 3D has a locked bootloader or not.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I use to be the same way. That said once I went to a pure touchscreen I can't go back. The thin phone design wins over the keyboard to me. You just have to take the plunge and learn to like it (which you will). Trust me I have big hands so if I can learn to like a soft keyboard you can too.

Almost everyone I know who had a Blackberry/Palm/etc. with a hardware keyboard swore they "had to have it!"...almost every single one of them, within 3 months, stopped using it almost completely.

There are only 2 reasons to get a phone with a hardware keyboard:

1. You do a lot of command line/remote access stuff.
2. You play a lot of games and don't like touchscreen controls.

nate fisher posted:

Edit: Ozmodiar speaks my same feeling about the EVO 3D vs. the Nexus S. Also the Nexus S is freaking awesome to hold in your hand. Since the EVO 3D is pretty much the same size as the EVO 3D the Nexus S I prefer the size of the Nexus S over the EVO 3D. Also I am willing to bet it will have better battery life.

That said if the EVO 3D is rootable I am pretty sure I am going with it. Too much power.

That's exactly how I feel. The SuperAMOLED screen might be the most gorgeous thing I've ever gazed upon (outside of a bad-rear end plasma...but that's not exactly "phone" technology...haha), and I really like the idea of having a Nexus phone, with direct support from Google, but the EVO 3D is one goddamn powerful phone.

I'm going to wait a month or two after it comes out to decide what I want to do. If it doesn't have a locked bootloader (or it gets cracked) I have little doubt that it'll be a widely supported device among the ROM community, so I'll likely get one too.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

jaku78 posted:

Am I the only one having trouble imagining what the EVO 3D can do over the Nexus S in terms of power? Besides burning the battery without a clocking program (which, the EVO3D might unfortunately have no access to depending on root). I mean I've seen a samsung epic run even PSX games pretty stable. I don't see the point in having that much power unless you want to just impress somebody.

EDIT: That is true. Haha, but I doubt from my experiences with PS2 emulators that even the 3D couldn't run a pretty big library of games stably for PS2.

I'm sort of with you, but WoG has a point.

The Nexus S was released in December 2010, and the Nexus One was released in January 2010...so it's a good bet that if/when Google releases their next Nexus phone, it'll be sometime around December 2011/January 2012, and it would make sense that Sprint ends up carrying the next Nexus device pretty quickly.

All of that said, I'm with you in that I don't really think that many (if any non-tablet optimized apps) will require a dual-core CPU to run within the next 12 months. There may be some apps that can utilize both cores, but coding specificallyfor dual-cores would leave A LOT of devices out of the picture in an awful hurry, and would cost developers.

Since the Nexus S will likely cost the same (maybe slightly cheaper) than the EVO 3D, price isn't really a factor...and it will almost certainly get the next version of Android faster than any other device.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - for me, it comes down to the bootloader. I VASTLY prefer AOSP to Sense, and I would greatly enjoy faster software updates and direct Google support.

Only you can decide which is more important to you: Ability to root or better hardware.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

The Entire Universe posted:

Samsung Hate

Most (if not all) of the reviews I've read about the Nexus S was that it was a properly functioning Galaxy S device (i.e. working GPS, few other hardware related issues, NO Touchwiz related issues)...so I'm honestly not overly concerned. 'Round here, we hate on Samsung. I'm sure I can find plenty of places that hate on Motorola or HTC if I bothered looking.

To each their own. All I'm advising people to do is determine what is most important to them before spending their money. So, if the most important feature to someone is an unlocked bootloader (this is more important to me than a 3D camera or dual-core processor), the Nexus S is a solid choice. If the most important feature to you is "NOT SAMSUNG, ARRR!!" then don't buy a Samsung device. I'm not trying to force anyone into buying anything. I simply answered someone else's question about whether or not I thought a dual-core phone was a must have with the next generation of phones. In my opinion, it isn't.

A good salesperson identifies the needs of the customer and then presents their options to them, while warning of the issues with each device.

jaku78 posted:

Well, theoretically it should as one core can take the load off the other so the phones CPU can clock it itself depending on the load making it cooler and draw less power. The problem with assuming this is more efficient is that it's clocked higher then the other CPUs like the nexus s making it burn more anyway, but most people that love these phones to death will clock it down anyway rooted so who really knows how efficient that is to phones out presently.

Actually, I don't believe this is true.

It's all about voltages, and the faster a CPU can finish its operation and sale its voltage back down to the minimum, the longer the battery will last. Not only are dual-core CPU's faster at finishing what it's doing, but they're also built on a smaller process...which makes them more power efficient (yes, I'm simplifying...but I don't think we need to get into the really technical details). Also, I'm pretty sure the next-gen Snapdragon can scale the voltages on each core independently, so the phone should be more power efficient.

jaku78 posted:

Now, since we are still talking about the 3D the problem with the 3D besides the obvious root is that dual core will not be supported until 2.4. It's shipping with 2.3. So that dual core won't do poo poo until both HTC and Google give the green flag. So in 2.3 it will be there for nothing more then eating cycles on background crap.

I hope someone else can find a source faster than me, but I'm reasonably certain that 2.3.3 supports both cores...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I understand your concern. However, everything I've seen about Samsung's phone issues, with the exception of the Vibrant's GPS antenna (which is responsible for only a minority of Samsung's overall GPS problems), and the I9000M's SD death, suggests that their problems really are, almost exclusively, software based.

Actually, if you look at the hardware in both Galaxy & Nexus S devices, they're both quite good on paper, and very good in practice when the software issues don't cripple them. As others have said, HTC doesn't have a perfect track record either, and many of their issues are rooted in hardware, even if it's something as simple as putting a 1230 mAh battery in 4.3" unibody phone. Seriously, what the gently caress.

Anyways, I've recently come of the opinion that, as long as the US mobile market is technologically distinct from Europe & Asia, purchasing foreign-designed devices isn't a good approach for hedging your bets on bug issues. The problem with HTC & Samsung is that their phones are developed in Taiwan & Korea, but the US models (particularly CDMA) either can, or are only used in North America. So their engineers can't eat their own dogfood. Which means bugs must be discovered and addressed by carrier QA testing, and I don't believe they'll ever stay on top of that given the rate at which new devices are pumped onto the market.

Apple, HP (old Palm), and Google-branded devices are strictly better here as their engineers actually use the very devices they sell to us. So they're strictly more likely to have bugs discovered and fixed by folks who both are capable of, and have a personal interest in, fixing them.

Well said, good sir.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

brc64 posted:

I'm probably going to have to pass on the Google Voice integration. I got my invite tonight, but when I looked, I saw what I was afraid to see. If I choose to make my Sprint number my Voice number, I'll lose my existing Voice number (it stays active for 90 days). I don't want that, and I don't want all my Sprint calls to show up as my Voice number either (I want to keep things separate), so this isn't for me.

Ideally, I'd like to just have two separate Voice numbers, one of which happens to be my Sprint number, but it doesn't work that way.

I assume that I won't "lose" my actual Sprint Number if I make my GV number my Sprint number though, right?

I want to go that route, but I don't want everyone who has my existing Sprint Number to suddenly not be able to contact me if they don't change my contact information. Basically, I want all of the features that Google Voice offers, but I want to be able to have unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling though that number.

What happens when someone calls/texts me at my existing Sprint Number? Does Sprint just forward it along to Google's servers, and it all shows up in my GV app?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

chemosh6969 posted:

Hope this helps some

Thanks.

I found this helpful too.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/04/google-voice-sprint/

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

io_burn posted:

B-b-b-but the elegant simplicity of the MiFi... :smithicide:

Granted, rooting isn't always the easiest thing to do (I don't know anything about the EVO Shift...), but it's hard to imagine things being less complicated than WiFi Tether.

Or, hell, CM7 has WiFi Tethering BUILT IN...and it works better than WiFi Tether ever did anyhow.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

chemosh6969 posted:

You still use your minutes but it uses voice for international calls.

Doesn't it still count as mobile to mobile calling (and is therefore unlimited) when you call a cell phone though?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Bioshuffle posted:

Any news on the expected battery life for the EVO 3D? Am I right in assuming it'll be worse than the EVO? I am currently using a Samsung Moment and when I use applications like Meebo I can use it for maybe 3-4 hours before the battery drains itself to the red bar. Games and streaming movies are out of the question. Have they addressed the battery life issue with the newer phones like the Evo Shift and Samsung Epic? Or is a short battery life just part of the smart phone experience? If it came down to it, I reckon I can buy an extra set of batteries but I'm eligible for an upgrade and will be waiting for the new google phone to see if it's any better.

In theory, it should be better.

The new dual-core processors are built on a smaller process, which makes them more power efficient, and since a dual-core processor can finish what it's doing faster and then scale down it's voltage quicker (and core-independently), this should mean better power efficency.

That said, I have no experience with Meebo...but any service that is constantly polling for new information will murder your battery. See if Meebo has a C2DM (push) option, or switch to a IM client that does (i.e. Trillian. I think IMO has C2DM too).

I can stream several 30 minute episodes of various TV shows to my EVO using PlayOn, and only eat about 8%-10% of my battery per 30 minutes.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

So...just got my invite to integrate Google Voice with Sprint.

I chose Option #2: "Replace your Sprint number with your Google Voice number (all the benefits of the app without the need for one). In this case, all calls made from your Sprint phone will display your Google Voice # natively (same for SMS)."

What ends up happening is this: ALL SMS-based messages (including Short-Codes for Twitter & Facebook) end up in my Google Voice app (I prefer the GV app over Stock Messaging or Handcent...but you can choose to use the Stock Messaging app if you want...).

If someone texts my Sprint Number, it automatically ends up in my GV App. No matter which app I reply from (GV or Stock Messaging) it displays my GV Number.

If someone texts my GV Number, I can have it show up in ONLY the GV App, or the GV App AND the Stock Messaging app (Same as before)

If someone calls my Sprint number, it still rings all of my forwarding phones (and GTalk!)

If someone calls my GV Number, it acts the same as it always did (though my understanding is that Sprint is directly routing the calls now, which should result in higher call-quality).

Obviously all Voicemail is handled by Google Voice, and shows up in the GV App.

The only remaining question I have left is for Sprint-people: I'm not going to lose my Sprint Number, right? They have to keep that number associated with my ESN in order to actually make my phone work, right?

All in all...pretty cool stuff.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

brc64 posted:

I'm thinking about what to do, and I have an idea. I think I can create a new Google account devoted specifically for my current Google Voice number, which I use for work. I can then use the form linked earlier to transfer that Voice number to the new account.

This frees up my main account for me to convert my Sprint number to a Google Voice number, which is what I ultimately want. And since I keep my existing Voice number on a different account, I can still have it redirect to my Sprint number (90% of my use for my work number is incoming calls, so that wouldn't change). I'd lose the ability to access the work account through the Voice app on the phone, but that's okay as long as people can still call it and reach me.

That should work, right?

I don't see why not.

Then again, using "Option 2" - all of my friends can still call my Sprint number...but when I call them back it appears from my 206 number. My understanding is that Sprint will now count these as Mobile-to-Mobile minutes as well. So, I really have no reason to worry about my existing Sprint number, and my friends can/will just update their address books accordingly.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

chemosh6969 posted:

How do you set it to only use the GV app, or is that only a feature for option 2?

Honestly, I'm not really sure. I would assume if you turn off Text forwarding in the GV Options it would stop, but I've never looked into it.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

chemosh6969 posted:

I tried that last week and it stops them from going to the phone while they show up on the site.

The messaging deal is my only real issue so far.

Aside from just turning off notifications in the Stock Messaging app then, I have no idea.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Turnquiet posted:

I kind of like having my google voice number and my sprint number separate, and then using the voice app to route communications through voice when I do things like craigslist transactions. I set my phone to ask prior to each dial, and boom, now I can block dillweeds who start harassing you over a price being too high or something. Losing that voice number or the ability to pick to text or call from voice or from sprint seems like a negative.

I used to do this too...but since I enabled Google Voice using my Google Voice Number, if someone calls my Sprint Number, I still get the call (and all of the call logs still show up in Google Voice)...and if someone calls my Google Voice number, I get also get the call.

The ONLY difference is ALL my outgoing calls come from my Google Voice number.

Either way, I can still choose to block/not allow people at will who call my Google Voice Number.

Jensen posted:

You do realize that your cell number now BECOMES your Google Voice number, right?

So, the dillweeds can be blocked exactly the same as before. Except now you aren't annoyingly asked which number to use every time you want to make a phone call.

Exactly.

brc64 posted:

If you use the Google Voice app, texts come in over data. However, you also have the option to have text messages forwarded to a phone number, which brings them in over SMS. I use the latter since the Voice notifications were never reliable enough for me in the past.

It's not reliable for me either, and never has been UNLESS I have SMS Forwarding turned on too. My brother and I ran an experiment on this last night:

First, I left SMS Forwarding enabled -

When I would send my brother (who lives with me, is on my account, and has an Epic) a text he would get it on either his GV number OR his Sprint Number within 15 seconds. When he texted me at either my GV Number or Sprint number, I averaged about the same.

(Worth noting:

1.Since I have enabled the GV+Sprint integration, ANY SMS to EITHER number ends up showing up in my GV App...and if you have SMS forwarding turned on in GV, it showed up in the Stock Messaging App too.

2. I said it before, but GV seems to be accepting Short Codes once you have GV+Sprint turned on. I now get Facebook & Twitter notifications in my GV Inbox)

Second, I turned SMS Forwarding off -

My brother still got all texts within about 15 seconds. I waited over 3 minutes on a couple of occasions and STILL didn't get the Text Notification until I launched/manually refreshed the GV App.

So, ultimately, I turned SMS Notifications back on in my GV Settings, and just turned off ALL Text Notifications in the Stock Messaging App. This way I still get my Texts quickly, and I don't get two notifications

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ok, seeing as it's un-do-able (it can be undone, right?) how do I go about this Sprint+GV integration? I have a GV # (just never used it for anything,) and the GV app...I played around in the app today but didn't notice anything about integration, so I do it from the Sprint side of things?

Edit: I go here: http://www.google.com/googlevoice/sprint/ and it just says to put in my email to be notified when it's available...but how do some people already have it?

No. If/when it becomes available to you, you'll be given the option from the Google Voice webpage.

Some people have it because Google/Sprint seems to be rolling it out in stages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

GigaPeon posted:

I integrated my phone with Google Voice. Do text messages come in over data or do they just use the cell connection like regular texts?

If you DO NOT have SMS Forwarding turned on, they will ONLY come in via Data.

If you DO have SMS Forwarding turned on, they will come in to the GV App via Data AND the Stock Messaging App via 1x (regular cell connection)