Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

gariig posted:

Insurance question. My wife was played Geared last night, the game had the phone vibrate, and the screen cracked into a spider web like shape. I went to the local Sprint Repair Center and they told me that it would only be covered by Asurion (I have TEP) and that it'd be $100. Which is some BS because I'm assuming the deductible is for dropping it, running it over, hitting it with a hammer, etc. Is there any way around or do I just suck it up and pay?

If I do have to make a claim through Asurion the turn around is 7-10 days for the Evo. How hard is it to have our old Palm put on the account so she has a phone for the next week or so?

Call them up and tell them you want to do an ESN change on the number. It'll take 5 minutes. Or I think you can even do it online from your account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

I'll be going to Radio Shack or Best Buy if the Sprint store has a mail in rebate. But I'll be getting a Evo3d launch day regardless.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

heat posted:

I'm confused, what do you mean by "it"?

From what I understand Sprint has been doing instant rebates on some phones at the store instead of losing poo poo loads of sales to the radio shacks and best buys

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Deadpan Science posted:

Have there been any updates on the price of the evo3d? I'm on a family plan and we want to stay off contract. Is it going to be $700?

My guess is around $550

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Dammit come on Surprise. 4G is slowly coming online in Phoenix but not quick enough for me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Ok so I just realized that Google Voice does not have an empty all button for the trash so if you've been using it as long as I have be prepared to click about a thousand times to clean out your trash folder.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

brc64 posted:

I never got a response to my request to move my Voice number to a different Google account. :(

I didn't either I just logged into my google voice account went to settings and the option showed up under the phones tab.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

brc64 posted:

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about moving my existing Voice number to a different Google account so that I can take advantage of the Sprint integration without losing that number. There's a form you can fill out to request a transfer, but I never heard back on it.

Ahh ok my mistake.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

porksmash posted:

Has anyone tried to activate a Verizon phone on a Sprint plan? I understand that the two companies' 4G stuff operates on different frequencies but I was unable to find anything that said EVDO was different between the two. I just bought an HTC Incredible (Verizon) to muck around with. I was planning to use wifi only, but it would be nice if I could get internet everywhere. At least until the EVO 3D comes out!

You won't be able to because the ESN isn't in Sprints database and they won't activate it. You could take it to cricket though. Thats where most stolen phones end up.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

Well duh I should have thought of that.
So now it works but I am getting double notifications one in Handcent and one for google voice.
I don't see any option to turn off SMS notifications for just google voice.

You can't you'll have to disable notifications for google voice and then if you get a voice mail have it set to notify you by text. Thats the only way to keep from getting notifications from google.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ninmeister posted:

Does Sprint still do the manufacturer warranty repair work in store for a 35 dollar fee thing? It looks like the earpiece speaker on my Evo is blown out which seemed to happen out of the loving blue two days ago (higher pitched sounds make a horrible buzzing noise).

Also note I'm a cheap idiot who took TEP off my phone.

They fixed mine for 35 bucks and I have no insurance. While they were fixing it they noticed that the frame was slightly bent. Sledding accident shhh. So they replaced the phone for free and I only had to pay that 35 bucks.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Wooo hoo. Netflix finally on my Evo.bout drat time

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

I was in Best Buy to put a reservation down on the Evo 3D but just couldn't pull the trigger. I'll wait to hear if Radio Shack will be offering any incentives first.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

If my upgrade is 7/1 what's the earliest they'll let me upgrade?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Well reading the thread on XDA about the leaked Evo 3D rom, and they say that the boot loader is locked but not encrypted which means good things for rooting from what I understand.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Thread in question. Towards the end they are talking about some of the stuff they've found in the leaked Rom. Be prepared to wade through poo poo.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1081921

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

WoG posted:

Not a sprint employee, but in general, I don't believe cell companies will port out numbers from accounts with delinquent balances.

(I'm also a bit curious how the line is still active -- a few years ago, due to being broke one month and absent-minded the next, I missed two consecutive due dates, and got a nasty email very quickly threatening disconnection in 10 days. Maybe it was an empty threat, but oddly specific if it was.)

So much chatter about the iphone 4s now. I was looking forward to the evo3d sometime this summer, but if the iphone's only 3 months away, that's a tough call. Now to hope they'll show off some hardware at wwdc in june, and not just ios5.

Why anyone would go with a slightly updated iphone over the Evo3d is beyond me. Unless you're already on an iphone and you've got lots of money tied up in IOS.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

WoG posted:

Well, you're looking at pretty comparable hardware, assuming the rumored 4s specs are true. Higher res screen, better 2d camera, and slimmer, nicer design for the the iphone vs 3d, microsd, larger screen*, and faster proc** on the evo. If I'm missing something key, and your point isn't really just, "why anyone would go with ios over android is beyond me," let me know.

*though how much larger is unknown, since since the 'prototype' iphone pics with edge-to-edge display might be the 4s, the 5, or bullshit.
**there won't/can't be any real comparison between the snapdragon and the a5, but they're probably within spitting distance.

I've had an android phone for about 2 months and an ios device (touch 4) for 5, so I have no major allegiance and similar (negligible) amounts of money tied up in their respective markets.

Yes, potential upsides for me, personally, are that not having 4g would save me 10/mo, and flipping a touch would net a lot more money than an optimus, but this is all just hypothetical until we see anything concrete.

You're going to pay that 10 dollars regardless of 4g or not. It's added on to all smartphones nowadays.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

To find out if you're eligible for an upgrade text the word upgrade to the # 1311. Duckman you should add that to the OP.

OptimusMatrix fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 23, 2011

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I just did this and it says I'm only eligible for $75 on 6/1. I don't understand this, I got my EVO on launch day last June. My family plan is around $150 after taxes and fees and my line is the primary.

I think it's got to be $150 before taxes and the like.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm hoping the Evo 3D launch results in a swath of people selling their Evo 4G's in an effort to "offset" the cost, making them go for a little cheaper than they are now, because I really need to ditch my Epic, but obviously since I have an Epic I am nowhere near an upgrade date...

(By a little cheaper I mean I'd like to spend ~$200....yeah, probably not going to happen.)

Getting an Evo3D on launch date and thats what I had planned on selling mine for.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

Sort of cross-posted from the Android thread, but:

I have terrible Sprint service at my condo, despite their coverage map saying it should be perfect. (Honestly, it's the biggest population center in the state, why is it so lovely?) I get between 0 and 1 bars...but VZW has fantastic service there...any way to force my phone to roam? Or maybe convince Sprint to give me a femtocell or whatever they're called, even though according to them I should be getting 5-6 bars?

Call retentions and tell them you'd like to get one and you're thinking of cancelling your service. They should give you one no problems. The number is in the OP.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Yeah I can't wait to start uploading some 3d video to youtube and such. BTW if you didn't know youtube has a 3d section.

https://www.youtube.com/select_3d_mode

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Outsmarted a lowly Sprint rep.

So in other words you did all your research before going in and outsmarted that pesky Sprint rep. Sounds like you had no intention of getting that phone and all you did was waste that guys time.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

It's looking more like this the HTC Kingdom which is supposed to come to Sprint which is the same thing as the Evo 3d without the 3d.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/22/is-this-the-htc-evo-4g-aka-kingdom/

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
You sure? Google Maps stayed open after I hit the home button, which kept my GPS and compass active.

you need to hit back. hitting home only basically minimizes the app. Hitting back completely closes it.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Well I'm on my second Evo 3d. This afternoon my phone rebooted itself out of the blue and then it went to the Sprint screen for a few seconds then the screen went black and the menu keys were lit up. I pulled the battery and it did the same thing over and over. I took it back to radio shack and they gave me a brand new one no questions asked. The good thing is I got a twenty five dollar refund because I bought it in Vegas and the tax was 44 dollars and here in Phoenix where I returned it, it was only 19 dollars.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

CRUISECONTROL posted:

I see a few of posts about getting incredibly good battery life. Lots of reviews I've seen have said that this is not the case though. What's the deal with this? Has HTC kicked out an update that improved it since just before release or what?

The problem is the reviewers basically pull a brand new unit out of the box and give it a go from 100%. The thing about Android handsets and I think most handsets in general is that they require a week or so of break in time so the phone can adjust to the discharge and recharge rates of the battery. I've had mine since launch day and the first couple days it drained pretty fast. Now that it's been a while since it's release my battery life is substantially better than that of my Evo 4g. So much so that I'm pulling it out of my pocket going holy poo poo because I'm used to the not so good battery life on the Evo 4g.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

My 3d gets wayyyy battery wifi reception than my 4g did.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Ditto on the great battery life. I checked mine last night and it had been off the charger for 9 hours and I had 60% left. And thats after talking multiple times on the phone, texting a crap load, my kid playing the spiderman game. There really is no comparison between the Evo and the Evo 3d. The Evo 3d hands down has so much more battery life than my old Evo it's not even funny.

OptimusMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 15, 2011

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Steve Moore posted:

Anybody want dirt on Sprint?

Yeah no thanks. A lowly rep getting fired probably for lying to customers.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

visuvius posted:

I've got a 3D and I've started experiencing the random loss of power, where the only thing that will fix it is a pull of the battery. According to you guys Sprint will swap the phone out happily, except, I got mine on Craigslist from some dude who won it in a Sprint Gold Customer raffle or some such thing. It was legit, brand new in box but I'm worried they'll give me poo poo when I go in with my issue. Any suggestions?

Doesn't matter. The phone has a warranty and sprint will replace it no questions asked.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

visuvius posted:

Well, I went in to my local store and the guy said because I didn't purchase it from Sprint, I would have to send the phone to HTC. Bummer. He told me I could try swinging by the other store nearby which has a repair center to see what they say but I imagine I'll get the same response. gently caress that sucks. I'm not even sure how the gently caress dealing with HTC would work, I'm not sure if I can be without my phone for the 2 or more weeks it would probably take.

Oh crap. I thought you were taking it to a repair center. Anyime I've taken a phone there they take it in the back and come out 5 minutes later and tell me they'll replace it. i might have to pay 20 or 30 bucks but I get a new phone out of it. I never get insurance on phones because they come with year warranties and I don't drop phones in water so if something goes wrong it's not going to be my fault. They always have replaced them for me. i had about 4 palm pre's and 3 Evo 4g's and 1 Evo 3d replaced all a little or no cost.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Mentioned briefly a couple posts up but also there is new talk of a new Evo. Called the Design 4G. Can't wait to hear the specs on it.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/09/leakster-names-sprints-latest-samsung-epic-4g-touch-htc-evo-d/

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

bewbies posted:

Mercifully I'm getting rid of tmobile and this awful Motorola Cliq, after a lot of shopping I decided to go with Sprint and the Photon. The store gave me 15% off my bill because I'm a "contractor" (I'm a DoD nerd) which was cool, and the phone was amazing. I liked it more than the 3D one, what do people think of the two? Did I make the right choice?

I'm now waiting out the 6 days until my tmobile contract expires and I can port my number. Tick tick.

The screen on the 3d has been pretty much been given universal praise over the Photon. The Processor on the 3d is faster by a smidge. Sense Vs. Blur comes down to preference but I've heard more people say good things about Sense than I have blur. Both phones are great though and you can't go wrong with either one.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

change my name posted:

How many texts can the 3d hold? I remember that my last phone was capped at 277 I think.

I've had literally a couple thousand a couple times on my Evo 3d.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Micgael posted:

So I am due for an upgrade, and completely ready to retire my palm pre. I've been looking at the Evo 4G, but the reviews on site have about half of the people saying the battery is miserable. Do you guys have any opinion's re: Evo 4G's battery?

Why would you not get the Evo 3d over the Evo 4g? The Evo 3D is a superior phone in each and every way especially the battery life.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

traveling midget posted:

lol what

Oh you didn't know? You seriously didn't think HTC was going to allow you to root your phone without having to spill a little blood should something go wrong did you?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

I really side with HTC on this one. They're giving you the option of doing it. It's not mandatory. People who don't like it are the same types of people who put a turbo on a stock motor, blow the motor, then take it back to the dealership and try to say the engine blew, it should be covered under the warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Sole Survivor posted:

New Evo3D update also allows you to take screenshots, hold the Power button then hit Home.

Worked perfectly thanks