Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
This may be an old topic to bring up, but I was wondering if the issues I have been having with my Epic 4G were out of the ordinary.

Since I bought it a year ago, the phone randomly locks up and freezes to the point where I have t pull out the battery. I have rooted the phone, installed every conceivable update and the thing is still a buggy piece of poo poo.

Is this common with this phone? Is there anything I can do? I am only one year into my two year plan and I'd hate to have to drop another $300 on a phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What exactly have you installed?

The phone has its issues, no doubt. But it really shouldn't have stability issues on stock ECO5. If it does, it's worth doing a "Factory data reset" to see if that resolves them, and if not, possibly do an Odin flash of EC05 again. Otherwise you have a defective unit, and Sprint should be able to swap it out or "fix" it for $35, free with TEP.

However, if you've installed a leaked ROM, particularly one of the recent Gingerbread leaks (EF02, EG22, EH06, EH17, etc.), sudden reboots are a common and well known problem with these leaks, and likely why official Gingerbread has not been released yet.

If you have a custom ROM installed, particularly one with "ext4 no journal", the lockups are probably due to a hosed file system. If you reflash and make sure the ext4 journal is enabled, it shouldn't do that anymore. Although to be honest, running a stock/RFS ROM is probably best. Yes it's a bit laggier, but the Epic is far less laggy on RFS than other Galaxy S devices, and it's probably worth the tradeoff for greater stability and less hassle.

If for any reason you're running an undervolt or overclock kernel, your problems are likely resolved by just getting rid of them. The phone will lock up if it's overclocked beyond it's capability, or undervolted too much. To be honest, overclocking is a waste of time with little benefit. Some folks claim that undervolting improves battery life, but again, at the potential cost of greater instability and more headache.

Thanks for the tips. I am going to give the factory reset a try. I did root the phone, but I can't seem to remember what I rooted it to.

So, you're saying that Sprint will do a swap for $35 even without TEP? I figured since I was 1 year into the contract I was out of luck.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

I have had it with my Epic 4G. Endlessly flashing, rooting, reflashing and the phone remains buggy as hell. 1 out of every 5 incoming phone calls locks my phone up and applications are always crashing. I just do not like this thing (too bulky anyway). The solution is to always "uninstall apps". What is the point of having a super fast phone if I cannot have anything installed on it?

I have another year left to upgrade, so I just picked up an Optimus S on ebay for pretty cheap. It is an underpowered phone, but all I want to be able to do at this point is receive phone calls and browse the web.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Matlock posted:

I own a LG Optimus S and haven't owned a Motorola or HTC phone since 2008. Before my current phone, I had a Samsung Reclaim :shobon:.

How do you like the Optimus S?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Epic sucks, but it doesn't suck this bad. There's absolutely something wrong with your phone. I can't say if it's bad flash memory, bad CPU, or possibly some radio NVRAM weirdness that's causing the radio to fuckup and lockup the device.

Apologies if you already did the reflash I mentioned a few days ago. But if you flash to stock EC05 once more with "Phone EFS Clear" checked in Odin, that will clear the radio NVRAM and cause your phone to redo hands-free activatin. It's also quite likely that it won't reactivate automatically. If you can, activating a different phone online and switching back should fix it. If you can't (e.g., SERO user) then a call to *2 and they'll reset whatever they have to do on their end to get it to activate.

If that doesn't clear it, $35 to Sprint and they should make it good.

I realize you don't even like the Epic at this point. But you're still under subsidy and it should be able to operate for you far better than it has. Even if you'll never touch it again, you could at least dump it on eBay or something.

Thanks for the response. I am going to do what you suggested and flash to EC05 and make sure the radio NVRAM is cleared. Even if I don't keep the phone, I still want to be able to get some money for it off of ebay. It is tough to not associate all of this trouble over the past year with the model of the phone. Also, hearing how much everyone hates it doesn't help matters.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Edit - nevermind

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

This seems like a dumb question, but I bought a phone off of ebay which was in the box and appeared to be brand new. When I started poking around I noticed that it had service. I was able to call my house with the phone. What is the deal??

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Its likely still active on the account of whomever sold it to you. Call them ASAP and make them remove it from the account. If the account goes delinquent the esn is dead. You cannot add the phone to your account until it is off the other one. Can't emphasize enough for future transactions,always always check the esn with sprint first.

Thanks for the tip. I just sent the company a note and am going to wait for them to resolve it before I switch my service over. The place does not seem disreputable as it is an electronics seller who has 99% positive feedback on over 8000 transactions.

Figures...

Edit - should I wait prior to doing an ESN swap on the phone?

RagingHematoma fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 21, 2011

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Someone mentioned before that the phones are getting too big. I couldn't agree more. My Epic 4g was acting up and being a piece of poo poo so I decided to switch to an optimus s. While it sucks to have a smaller screen and a less powerful phone, it is nice to have something smaller to carry around.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Is there a way to get rid of some of the bloatware from my LG Opitmus S without rooting the phone? I heard that these phones come with a lot of crap (Sprint ID etc) that make it run slower as well as tax the battery.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is it true that Sprint will be dropping 23 month upgrades in favor for 21 month instead?

Will this be retroactive to existing people currently waiting for their upgrade?

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

I have a SERO plan and was paying $50 a month for service on my Epic 4G. Once I switched to the Optimus S, my bill went down by $10. I wasn't expecting that.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

I think the microphone on my Evo is busted. Everyone says I sound like I am miles away and can barley hear me.

I bought the phone used and was thinking of taking it to sprint for repair. How does the repair process work for sprint?

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Just take it in to a repair center. If you don't have insurance they have the right to charge you $36 to do the repair, although a lot of mic issues usually can be fixed by just opening the phone and cleaning the mic (not all but most, so it's a pretty easy repair). The worst case is a repair doesn't fix it, I'm which case they would order a replacement phone, which would almost certainly be $36 (of course you would at most only pay this fee once, not once to repair one to swap).

So just take it by, see what they can do.

Perfect. I thought I had to have TEP to have them even do anything. 36 bucks is not too bad if it gets fixed. I had to swap esns with an LG Optimus to have a working phone. The difference in screen size is jarring.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Just take it in to a repair center. If you don't have insurance they have the right to charge you $36 to do the repair, although a lot of mic issues usually can be fixed by just opening the phone and cleaning the mic (not all but most, so it's a pretty easy repair). The worst case is a repair doesn't fix it, I'm which case they would order a replacement phone, which would almost certainly be $36 (of course you would at most only pay this fee once, not once to repair one to swap).

So just take it by, see what they can do.

I took it to a repair center and they said the mic was damaged and they are ordering me a refurb. I should have it tomorrow. That was pretty painless.

How are the refurbs? Do they look like new or are they dinged up like some dude's phone being sold on eBay?

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

The Entire Universe posted:

Is that the white 3d? Because that was a promo version for some retailer.

I wouldn't be surprised though, since as a prior 3D user/current owner (selling it though!) I tell you that phone was a catastrophe unless you like Sense.

I remember when the phone came out, everyone in this thread was pretty high on the device. It seemed to be the phone of choice for Sprint. What happened?

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

alwayslost posted:

I've paid next to no attention to the evolution of smartphones, but I've decided I am finally going to get one. However, I'm told if I want to avoid the 2 year contract and be able to get a discounted upgrade in 6 months to a year (when hopefully quad-core smartphones will be pretty common), I should buy something outright on eBay. I'm looking at the Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch, or the Galaxy Nexus. The SII is significantly cheaper. Is there much difference between the two? Hardware-wise they look pretty close.

I have had nothing but problems buying phones off of ebay. 90% of the phones either have bad esn numbers, are tied to delinquent contracts, or in lovely condition. The descriptions will say the phone is 100% clean and in great condition, but you will usually get a pile of crap in the mail wrapped in a paper towel with earwax wedged into the earpiece.

Trust me, get one from SA Mart.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

plester1 posted:

Is it possible/a good idea to buy out my contract if I'm on EPRP? I'd love to get a Galaxy Nexus, I'm about 18 months into a contract with an LG Optimus S. I'm waffling between waiting it out until the contract ends or biting the bullet soon for the GalNex.

Yes. I just upgraded from an Optimus S and having a new phone really highlights what a piece of crap that phone is.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

But he's on old SERO ($30/mo). My understanding is that all smartphone activations require SERO Premium ($40/mo) now. If so, you'd find out when attempting to activate it.

I have had luck with the chat on the sprint website. The web esn swap page was not letting me switch phones a while back due to my Sero plan. I ended up getting someone on the chat to do it with no issues.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

I recently paid Sprint to repair a phone and got a refurb for $35. It looks like they automatically signed me up for TEP. How much of a hassle is it going to be to get them to take this off? Would they do it through the chat? I would like to avoid speaking to a human if possible,

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

I am a Sero premium customer and Sprint's website says I am eligible for an upgrade (been 28 months since the last one). However, I cannot get a new smartphone without changing my plan. Is there any way to re-up for another 2 years on Sero Premium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

My Galaxy S4 has stopped charging. Whether I plug into an outlet or into my PC, it will not recognize the connection. I do not have TEP and I got the phone on 4/27 is that still considered under warranty or will the sprint store charge me a repair fee?

The info the person on Sprint chat does not seem to be right;

quote:

If you don't have the insurance,our tech can look at it and see if it can be fixed... if we can't fix it you would have to go through the manufacturer, because you have a 1 year warrranty with Samsung ..I can get their for you.

RagingHematoma fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 19, 2013