Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

io_burn posted:

Ugh, yeah, I'm going to swap for the new 4G MiFi. The last 24 hours with the Overdrive Pro has involved about 12 pull the battery power cycles. How the hell do they think people are going to use these for their home internet access?

To be fair, I have to pull the battery on my 3G Mifi all the loving time. Not 12 times in a day, but 5 times a day sometimes. I just don't think portable hotspots in general are good for main internet access.

That being said, I would still rather have a Mifi than an Overdrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

io_burn posted:

Really? I had a Virgin MiFi and that thing was a loving CHAMP. It could go for days at a time without any intervention, and the only issue I ever had with it was it rolling over to 1xRTT for some unknown reason and the only way I found to get it back on EVDO was by either power cycling it or going in to the admin area and having it disconnect and reconnect to the network.

Here's hoping the 4G MiFi works just as well.

Mine is through Comcast (same network as Virgin/Sprint)... I dunno, it will just say "disconnected" on the admin page. I can reset it through the page, but a battery pull is actually faster. I'm on a free account with it and maybe that's has something to do with it, I don't know why it would, but maybe. It could be when I'm using a a lot of data through it (as I have no limit) and they are telling me to gently caress-off.

On the other hand, sometimes I will leave it on for a couple weeks straight and it works great the whole time. When it's bad it's insanely frustrating though.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

CharlesM posted:

It's April 26, how do I switch?:(

Yeah, I thought the switch was today too? I just tried the port option on GV and it's still showing it costs $20...

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Wow, this double SMS notification poo poo is annoying... The idea of relying on data only (and using the GV app) with lag for SMS kind of sucks assholes more though. Why can't I just turn off SMS notifications in the GV app? :\

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Ozmodiar posted:

Uh...you can.

Menu->Sync and Notifications->Inbox Notifications (uncheck)

Everything below "Notifications via text message" is grayed out for me...

edit: I figured it out (I think), I didn't have "Sycronize Inbox" checked, now the options are there to change.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 29, 2011

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
My 3G speeds have been terrible the last few days, like 50-100kbps down terrible. Anyone else having issues or is my phone a hater? It's the same in different areas and at different times of day. EVO on CM7 in Portland. WiMax is fine when I have a signal.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

TheBlackMallard posted:

There's rumor saying it'll be HTC or LG. I like HTC and judging from the Optimus I really wouldn't mind owning a high end LG phone.

The Optimus G2X is pretty hot. I can't imagine an actual GOOGLE PHONE coming from them sucking. I'd almost rather have them make it than HTC.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

fyallm posted:

So I have had my EVO about a year and just recently it has randomly started to reboot. It seems to do it if I am using it alot, either browsing full websites instead of the mobile versions or if I am using navigation alot. It also seems like the EVO is pretty hot when it starts rebooting. I have tried to do some research and some people have said HTC has admitted this being a hardware failure, and some people said that they said it wasn't..

Has anyone had this happen, and if so how did you get it fixed?

I've had mine since release, and mine randomly reboots itself too, has for a few months. At first I thought it was a ROM thing, but it does it on every ROM, AOSP or Sense based. Never just idling, always if I'm browsing or playing a game or something, sometimes the phone seems hot, others it doesn't. Pretty awesome.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi, your Sprint number stays there, its just used as your identity when you call into Sprint. At least last I checked, I could be misreading it. But like, I use my GVoice # for the integration, but my Sprint number is still what shows on the account. using your Sprint number will get rid of any GVoice # though, for sure.

No wonder the integration hasn't gone smoothly, confusing as hell.

Yeah I've wondered about this, so if I cancel Sprint does it cancel my Google Voice account too? I've had the account since it was GrandCentral. That doesn't really make sense. Although Sprint giving the number to Google doesn't either.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Anyone here in Portland? My EVDO speeds have been loving unusable lately, like last month at least. I can't even stream a loving podcast without it dropping out. I get maybe 200kbps in speedtest, and that's if I'm stationary. It's getting really frustrating. WiMax is almost completely pointless for me also, it drops out constantly if I'm in a vehicle, so I can't use it unless I'm outdoors AND stationary. Uhg.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

dexplosivo posted:

If this is true, hello new phone.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903327904576526690675657466.html

Please lord be true.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
So this administrative fee thing, I asked ecare if I could get my upgrade bumped up as my phone is making GBS threads itself. No go. They will let me cancel though, what the gently caress is that? My upgrade isn't TERRIBLY far away anyway, 7 months or something. Jerks.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The increased Administrative Fee is a "materially adverse" change to your contract with Sprint. You can either: continue your contract and phone service, which means you implicitly agree to the change; or if you disagree with the change, you can terminate the contract and phone service without penalty.

In short, if you want to continue your phone service with Sprint, you have to agree to their fee changes. But if you can't tolerate the fee change, this gives you a way to leave Sprint. In no way is it a means to keep your service with Sprint and get a free upgrade.

Because companies would rather lose a customer than give them a few month bump in an upgrade? I didn't realize that was ridiculous of me. Sorry.

I mean, I'm not going to quit either way, and they are obviously banking on that, but it seems like the few people that ask something like this they would throw a bone to. They bump people's upgrades all the time without any "materially adverse" change to their contract. I guess me not being a dick about it or calling retentions is the problem.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

WoG posted:

They wouldn't "rather lose a customer"; you aren't leaving either way. They called your bluff on that absurd demand, and the only real mystery is why you thought we would sympathize.

I wasn't looking for sympathy? I also didn't bluff on anything? I didn't say I would cancel or anything to the effect. And asking for a upgrade with 25% of your contract left isn't exactly "absurd".

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Duckman2008 posted:

The airrvana is made by Samsung, who of course always outputs the best hardware (sarcasm).

The old Airaves were Samsung, and rock-loving-solid. The new ones are made by Airvana and pieces of poo poo. I don't even use mine, it causes more problems than it helps. loving frustrating.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Inking a deal for over double the value of your company on one specific device seems, uh, rash. It's not at all surprising their stock is dropping. That being said, I'm getting a Sprint iPhone the second it comes out even though I'm going to be paying full price for it. Wooooooo.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

SpelledBackwards posted:

Based on the actual WSJ article everyone seems to be referring to, I don't think there's enough of anything to point to long-term exclusivity, but it's vague to begin with. Then again, why would Sprint even promise anything to Apple about sales unless it was the only way they could get Apple to give it to them in the first place? They were already going to make a CDMA version for Verizon, anyway. So that's the only reason I could see the rumor holding any kind of water. No doubt that it'd be a very short period of exclusivity if it's the case.

Yeah, i seriously doubt its an exclusive. I assume the WSJ article is accurate though. They are pretty much always dead on (like everyone else is saying).

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

nate fisher posted:

What about a timed exclusive?

That's all it could possibly be anyway, I'm thinking no. It's possible, but highly unlikely.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

brc64 posted:

It looked like the 4S is now one standardized GSM+CDMA model, so I wonder if that means it can be activated between carriers. Get your iPhone 4S on Sprint, then when they crumble, activate it on Verizon?

I doubt it between Sprint and Verizon, taking a Sprint one to AT&T or T-Mobile would be easy though.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Unless it's locked from North American GSM providers, like other Sprint world phones are.

They are locked period a lot of times, call them and they unlock it. (Unless this is magically different for an iPhone.)

edit:

ZeroAX posted:

Sprint and Verizon wont let you activate each others phones, but if Sprint went out of business (or was purchased by Verizon) I think they would take you.

Well, yeah, if you were already a Verizon customer I assume they would let you continue to use your handset. If Sprint just went out of business, I doubt it though. Honestly Sprint isn't going to implode in the next year anyway, who cares.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 4, 2011

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Wow, so I have an ETF of $70. I want to get an iPhone. They WILL NOT let me buy out the $70. In fact they were pretty rude and said I could just cancel. What the gently caress.

Also told me iPhone wouldn't work on SERO, but that's beside the point.

edit: Just to clarify, I was not a jerk about it at all. I was completely polite. When about to get off the phone because the woman was being unhelpful she said to please hold for her supervisor, I didn't ask for this, that was odd, but I went ahead and did it. She proceded to tell me the same thing, so they wasted an extra 10-15 minutes of my time for nothing. I've never had a bad experience calling Sprint customer service before, it was a bit odd. Sucks though :\

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 6, 2011

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

powderific posted:

edit: ddogflex, that sound pretty lovely. Maybe you just got a person on a bad day? The person I talked to was really helpful. I can't imagine sprint would rather have you ditch than pay out on your current line. Losing subscribers is the last thing they need, especially subscribers who want to stay with them.

Yeah, that's the thing, it was her and her supervisor. The supervisor was less of a jerk about it, to be fair, but that didn't change that she wasn't helpful. I wonder if a lot of people have been calling about this and they decided to end it?

edit: Not that telling people to cancel when they would only have to pay a $70 ETF is smart. While SERO is cheaper than normal plans, it's not as if Sprint loses money on us. I have no reason to stay on Sprint without SERO, Verizon is cheaper for me due to employee discount. Blah blah.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 6, 2011

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Uhg, I don't know what I should do. I've basically decided I'm getting an iPhone one way or another. The only thing keeping me from one for the last several years was I had AT&T/Cingular for years before Sprint and loving hated them.

I could either pay a $70 ETF and then go with Verizon or AT&T, either one would be about $65/m with my corporate discount. That's $15 more a month than sprint, but I would have more reliable service and faster internet, not to mention a subsidized phone. ~$360 more over a two year contract. So $630 for the phone.

I could buy a phone outright from Sprint and stick on SERO. That would be $650 for the phone. But I would get an upgrade in March.

I think I just talked myself into staying by typing this all out. I don't feel good about it either way. Wahhh, first world problems.

PS: Anyone else having trouble logging into Sprint's web sales site? It keeps saying my password is wrong, but it works everywhere else on their drat site.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Lovie Unsmith posted:

You can use an iPhone on $50 SERO, why not just do that?

That was option two in my post. And the more I think about it, I think I'm just going to do that. I've been extremely annoyed by how slow 3G has been lately, but it's bound to get better. And I understand it's not even a problem everywhere (but it sure is in Portland). I generally like Sprint as a company more than the other two options, so there's that too. It's not like they're loving me over by not letting me buyout my ETF, just not being overly generous. It's my problem I can't wait a couple months to get a shiny new phone.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Am I the only one not able to login to shop.sprint.com..? I've been trying for hours and it keeps telling me my login info is incorrect, even though i can login to mysprint.sprint.com with it fine.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

So I got an iPhone 4S this weekend, and the data speeds and coverage seem...lackluster at best in my area (~.9 Mb/sec or less). If I were to return it, would my contract term return to what it was at before I upgraded? It might be worth jumping ship to Verizon for the $80 ETF I had left.

Did you buy it outright or get some sort of upgrade? How did you get an upgrade with that much time left on your contract? If you bought it outright, your contract never changed, if not they should change it back for you though.

Also, I would stab someone in the face to get .9Mbps on my phone. I get .3 when I'm lucky, a lot of times >.1. :(

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I was sitting on my final Premier Silver 1 year upgrade since June, so it was an upgrade price. I'm just worried they'll try to charge me the full $350 if I try to leave them now.

Also .1 Mbps is pathetic. Whereabouts are you?

Yeah dude, they will reset your contract. If you return the phone within the return period it's like you never had it.

I'm in Portland. It's terrible. I'm strongly considering changing carriers, but $50/mo is so hard to let go of.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm unloading two black 4S 32GB for Sprint over in SA-Mart if anyone's looking for an off-contract iPhone.

This is exactly the phone I'm looking for!

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Casao posted:

It is, supposedly, a Sprint branded (and thus can be activated on Sprint) handset that's on sale for subsidized pricing without requiring upping a contract.

I.E. you'd halfway through you contract and can get the 4s for subsidized pricing without extending your contract.

Wait, what? Where is the link for that?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Vykk.Draygo posted:

On one hand, it seems impossible that that would be legit. On the other hand, it's been up on Apple's site for a lot longer than you would expect, so there must be some legitimacy to it. I'm half tempted to buy it myself but there has to be something weird about it.

I don't know what the hell could possibly happen bad, but it makes me uneasy somehow too.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

Any negatives to using that link if I don't already have an account with Sprint? I'd be starting up with an EPRP plan.

I already ordered since it's basically the only way to get a Sprint iPhone 4S (16GB) online right now (every website is sold out).

Edit: so if I activated this with the $60/month EPRP plan, I could just drop it with no penalty in x months when the 5 comes out? This is a pretty big deal.

You have to sign a 2 year contract with Sprint no matter where the phone comes from.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

WoG posted:

...but (if I'm not mistaken), you'd be eligible for an upgrade immediately, so as far as upgrading to the 5 next year goes, you'd be in the same boat.

Yeah I guess I misunderstood the question, that is how it should work afaik. Although that would still require a new contract.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

vwman18 posted:

Sprint employees in this thread, looking for a little guidance.

Me = Sero Premium, upgrade eligible.
Wife = $30 Sero, upgrade eligible in June.

I ordered the 16gb iPhone today online using the upgrade pricing on my line, with the intent of putting it on my wife's line. What's the best way to accomplish this? Do I have to activate the iPhone on my line first and then move it to hers? Obviously her plan has to be upgraded to Sero Premium plus Premium Data, but I won't call in for that until I get a shipping notice from Sprint.

There isn't a rebate on it or anything, you can just call in and get it activated for her line when you get it. No problem whatsoever.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Ozmodiar posted:

This statement is 100% bullshit. I pay for unlimited data. Data is data, regardless of what device is using it.

While I have no moral problem with free tethering a limited amount (I did it myself on my old phone with my iPad). You are paying for data ON YOUR PHONE, nowhere does it say it can be used on other devices. The fact that you want it that way doesn't make it so.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm only "glad" to hear it to the extent that it has measurable influence in alleviating 3G network congestion, which Sprint has a serious problem with apparently.

That said I've not been unwilling to pay for a mobile broadband plan in the past when traveling frequently and/or when it was my only source of Internet. Although in those cases I'd probably go with a different carrier than Sprint for redundancy purposes--that is, I can still use my phone as a fallback for when other-network has no coverage.

I think they have a much better argument on Verzion or AT&T where data is quotaed. That is, if you're paying precisely for 2 GB of data, it shouldn't matter if that's 2 GB on one device (a phone) or two (a phone and laptop).

That argument works less well for unlimited data though. This may, perhaps, be why it seems AT&T went after folks tethering on granfathered unlimited data plans and using significant (> 2 GB) volumes of data.

I 100% agree with you. 2GB is 2GB is 2GB. You should be able to use buckets however you want. Verizon sort of allows this, with data plans over 4GB you can tether without a different add-on, but 4GB is like $50/mo, soooo. Unrestricted tethering on unlimited data plans could get loving ridiculous really quick though and ruin the network for everyone. Sprints network doesn't need help being ruined, I get loving 80kbps during the day on EVDO.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

CaptainPsyko posted:

Anyone else with an Airrave find it causing substantial issues with voice quality?

I'll have 5 bars of signal, but the person on the other end won't be able to hear a word I say, or vice versa. Often the problems are only in one direction, and this happens with any Sprint phone in the house (It's happened with an LG dumbphone, a blackberry, my 4S, and a year old Samsung somethingorother that runs Android.)

Is there any sort of fix if so other than just 'disconnect the airrave?'

I had a Samsung Airave and it was loving awesome, 2G though and at the time I had an EVO that I had to turn the wifi off to save battery and would forget to turn it on at home sometimes, so I wanted a 3G Airvana. The Airvana is loving poo poo and I don't use it even though I get 1 bar at home, sometimes "Extended" network. It's QOS or something kills my internet connection and/or it will have terrible delay/voice quality/texts hours late, it's ridiculous. They sent me a replacement and it's no different. I wish I still had the Samsung. :\

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

uapyro posted:

Did you try putting the Airvana after the router? I haven't really known any issues with mine. Other than that, try restricting the phones that can use it in case others are connected to it.

Behind the router there is terrible lag, it doesn't kill the Internet connection, but it completely unusable for calls. And yeah I have it restricted for only my phone and a couple friends. Airave tech support seems to be of little help. Although I haven't bothered with them in a while.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

berzerkmonkey posted:

Crap - I meant to ask this in my previous post: Does Sprint's $10 premium data fee kick in when you activate a phone, or when you upgrade your contract? In other words, if I bought a phone off of Ebay, would Sprint hit me for the additional $10 once I activated it?

Yes. You will have to pay it.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Any of you guys sell a phone back to Sprint? I was thinking about selling back my EVO for the $85 they will give me or whatever, as it will be a pain in the rear end and I doubt I will get much more for it selling it otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Destro85 posted:

No this is not heat related, and it happens with no apps installed at all. I've been running the phone bone stock for a week because the sprint employees keep telling me I have "bad apps" on my phone. I don't even have my email configured on the thing.

I just got off the phone with retentions. Apparently my next step is to get the phone replaced two more times, and then I can get a Nexus or Evo 3d. They can't do anything else unless I want to pay the $100 deductable to get it replaced, which I'd rather not pay at the moment.

I'm going all grandma with this issue, I am documenting when the phone shuts down on a crumpled up piece of paper.

It's pretty amazing you are having the exact same problems on multiple phones that no one else is seeing... Are you using the same SD card on all of them? Are you using the same battery? Is ANYTHING the same other than your phone number? That being said I had quite a few problems with two EVOs, but nothing as extreme as shutting itself off a dozen times a day.

edit: just saw you got a new battery...