Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is the Transform a lovely piece of poo poo or did I just get lucky and get a lovely one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

echo465 posted:

It's a lovely piece of poo poo. I'm going to end up stealing my wife's upgrade to move to the Evo 3D to get away from the drat thing.

i just got this phone less than a week ago. I think Im going to take it back and get the Shift 4G

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I've had my Transform less than a week. Is it too late to take it back and get an Evo Shift?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Duckman2008 posted:

Nope, you have a 30 day guarantee regardless of where you got it from. Return it, go go go!

Even if they charge a restock fee, fyi it is worth it.

Returned it and got an Epic today. I'm a LOVING this loving phone.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I got a push on my phone (Epic 4G) that I could download Android 2.3.5. I go to settings, Update Android, but it says I'm up to date. Is there something else I need to do?

EDIT: Ok got the update installed. Really digging the new update!

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 12, 2011

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

SneakyCracker posted:

As am I. Following the update, the Epic seems to be noticeably snappier. Only source of annoyance thusfar is that Samsung, in all of their infinite wisedom, felt it necessary to remove the excellent stock Gingerbread keyboard and replace it with their own. Thankfully though, the Gingerbread keyboard can be installed via the market.

Aside from that though, thus update is (so far) feeling like what the Epic should have right along.

This 100% My phone feels so much more responsive, it doesn't feel sluggish when going to app screen or when switching between screens. It's wonderful! Whats so good about the Gingerbread keyboards vs. the Epic keyboard? Can you still use swype with the gingerbread keyboard?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm due for an upgrade in 2 weeks and my dilemma is thus, do I wait for GSIV phones to come out or do I just say gently caress it and get the Note II?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
As of today I can get a new phone. Can someone convince me not to get a Note 2?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Got my Note 2 yesterday. I upgraded from the Epic and holy poo poo do I love it. Just one question though. On my epic I could turn the 4G off but on this phone I dont see that option can anyone tell me where that is?

Also when is Android 4.2.1 coming to it?

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 3, 2013

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I wish 4.2.1 was available for the Note 2 :(

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Don't know if this the right thread for this but it's there a way to assign each screen is own wallpaper on the Galaxy Note 2?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Has anyone with a rooted Note 2 been able to run Google Wallet? I'm running stock TW.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
4.4 update for Note 2 came out today

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I sorry if this has been discussed, I have never bought a phone from an outside source before but I really want the Pixel XL. To make sure I understand the steps, I purchase the phone from Google (do I need to get a specific one?) And then just take it to the store to get it activated right? Anything else I need to know?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Do I still need to worry about CDMA and GMA or is that a thing of the past?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

nimper posted:

All Pixel models sold by Google are CDMA compatible and can be activated on Sprint.

Thanks a ton for the quick answers!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

a shameful boehner posted:

Went in and bought the S7 Edge outright last night, was pretty painless. Still setting it up and holy poo poo does this slippery thing need a case but pretty happy with the process overall.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/10/report-now-samsung-galaxy-s7-edges-are-exploding-too/

quote:

Uh oh. According to a report on Phone Arena, a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge in the US has burst into flames while charging. This is allegedly the third such incident involving the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge in the past month. Here's what you need to know.
An anonymous source who "works for one of the big U.S. wireless carriers" recently contacted Phone Arena about a customer who came into his store with a fire-damaged Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

According to the customer, the device burst into flames after being left to charge overnight using the supplied Samsung OEM charger. (Ironically, the customer had allegedly received the unit two weeks ago as a replacement for his Samsung Galaxy Note 7.)

There has now been at least three reports of exploding Galaxy S7 Edges since September. (The most serious was an incident in Ohio that caused the owner to suffer second and third degree burns. He is now in the process of suing Samsung.)

Now, we want to stress that there's no reason for Galaxy S& Edge owners to be overly alarmed -- at least, not yet. A few isolated incidents does not mean a safety recall is imminent: it could just be down to human error or a negligible fraction of faulty units. (As Phone Arena notes, the iPhone 7 has also allegedly "exploded" at least once.)

On the other hand, it's worth noting that the 'exploding Note7' debacle started with similarly isolated reports. The global recall occurred many weeks later.

We've contacted Samsung and are awaiting comment. Until we have further information, you should probably keep a closer eye on your Galaxy S7 Edge: especially while it's charging.

UPDATE: Samsung Electronics provided Lifehacker Australia with the following statement:

“We are unable to comment on this specific incident until we obtain and thoroughly examine the phone. Customer safety remains our highest priority and we want to work with any customer who has experienced an issue with a Samsung product in order to investigate the matter and support them. The issues with the Galaxy Note7 are isolated to only that model.”
So the official line from Samsung is that the Galaxy S7 Edge is safe to use; at least when it comes to the specific battery fault affecting Note7s. We'll be updating this story with more news as we have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Cage posted:

God drat the never ending voicemail notification on the essential phone suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

e: This also sucked 2 days into owning the phone too though

Goddamn goondolences