Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Today I dropped my S3 on the sidewalk and the screen is pretty wildly cracked. I have TEP, so I stopped by a repair center and they said that Asurion would replace the unit overnight with a $150 deductible.

On the other hand, I could go to a shop and get the glass replaced for $95 in 30 minutes. I've used them before when I needed the LCD replaced on my BB Tour years ago.

Is there any reason to go the Asurion route? Is there any reason to continue paying for TEP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is the $95 a quoted figure? Or is that just what cost the last time? That's less than the cost of the entire display/digitizer/glass assembly, making me think they'd just replace the glass, in which case it may be the cheapest overall option but you're paying a lot for labor.

There's two reasons to go with Asurion. The first is that the official Samsung repair process replaces the entire glass, digitizer, and screen, for $172, but what you get is a flawless screen instead of one that might have some imperfections or dust or something from separating the digitizer from the glass. With Asurion you get essentially the same job for $22 less and a fixed phone overnight, instead of ten days later.

Also, if there's any damage to the device besides the glass, like a bent frame, the Asurion route resolves that too.

Considering that used S3s can be had for not a whole lot more than the deductable, maybe not.

The $95 is a quoted figure, at least it's what the Craigslist ad says but seem to recall paying that when I went to that shop last time. And it is just for the glass.

The Sprint guy at the repair center made it sound like Asurion would send me a whole new phone. I haven't called them yet to clarify or make a claim though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

bobula posted:

I'm just waiting to be the last person left on Sprint and then I'll have all the bandwidth.

Same here. SERO in Chicago, no reason to leave right now.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A while back this thread mentioned that the Galaxy S4 would have a revision with LTE on the repurposed Nextel bands. Any truth to that or any update?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SpelledBackwards posted:

Two posts above yours.

No, I mean the Galaxy S4 like the one that's already out, just with added Nextel band support.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cage posted:

Almost 2 years ago I bought a HTC Arrive and I upgraded my $30 SERO with the $10 premium data. At the time Im pretty sure the Arrive and Marquee were considered the best phones for the plan. Has anything better come along or am I stuck spending another $10 to get to the next level of phones?

I'm not sure $40 SERO plans even exist any more. I'm on a $50 plan for my Galaxy S3.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cage posted:

Well, its not technically the $40 SERO plan its the $30 plan with the $10 premium data that let you use a few phones that were slightly more recent.

Yeah, that's what I meant, same thing. I had that when I was on a Blackberry.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

td4guy posted:

The rumored tri-band-LTE Samsung Galaxy S4 has appeared on the FCC's site.

This is what I want my parents to use their upgrades on. I'd be tempted to get one myself despite being on contract.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

thelightguy posted:

Man, I was bummed that I just got a GS4 this month after giving up on waiting for triband, but on the other hand, the triband phones they're getting aren't all that great. The LG G2 is the best of the bunch, but the carrier specific customizations mean that there will be an anemic accessory market.

When oh when will we see this tri-band S4: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-356-teaser-samsung-galaxy-s4-2-3/

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If I take my parents to Best Buy to get new Galaxy S4s for free (upgrades are due), will there be any problem with my dad's (legit) Sears discount or can they handle that?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I updated my GS3 this morning to 4.3, now my phone keeps showing notification that it's downloaded the same 3 email attachments from months ago. Anyone know anything about this?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

DISH and Sprint to Deploy a Trial Wireless Broadband Service - in the test market of Corpus Christi, TX.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I tried Hangouts for a few days and removed it, conversations weren't threading.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just keep roaming until they terminate you with no penalty.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Any word on when the Spark GS4 will be in stores? My parents have an upgrade ready and I'd like for them to both have Spark phones.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Any word on when the Spark GS4 will be in stores? My parents have an upgrade ready and I'd like for them to both have Spark phones.

Just looked and saw that it's on sprint.com's Phones section today (as a Spark phone), but the website says no stores within 50 miles have it yet :(

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

datajosh posted:

The Note 3 will get 800MHz CDMA, but not 800MHz LTE. The only phones that support it so far - if I remember correctly - are the Mega, G2, One Max and Nexus 5. I went ahead and got the Note 3 because I'm using One Up and it'll probably take a year for them to get it rolled out here anyway.

On Sprint's website there are six phones labeled Spark:

- Galaxy S4 mini
- Google Nexus 5
- Galaxy S4 (Spark version)
- LG G2
- Galaxy Mega
- HTC One Max

Are they all 850Mhz LTE?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

T-Mobile will pay early termination fees for AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon customers.

quote:

"Sprint is a pile of spectrum waiting to be turned into a capability. Right now, their network is completely horrible."

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sprint ends One Up program after just four months

quote:

“Sprint continues to offer customers an upgrade option with the Sprint Framily plan. For $20 per month, customers can buy up to unlimited data and the ability to upgrade their device every 12 months.”

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I took my parents to the Sprint store yesterday and they used their upgrades on two new Galaxy S4s. I specified that they should be getting the Spark versions. Is there any way to check on the phone itself to see if it's the Spark version? Version number or something?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

OssiansFolly posted:

In 2 weeks I will be up for a new phone. I've spent the last year or so suffering with a Motorola Photon. I've done everything in my power to brick, destroy or otherwise make this phone usable and had zero success. I personally would like to get a Windows phone as the Photon has turned me off to Android. Are there any decent options for Windows phones? I use my phone for email and data since my job requires it, and on a personal side I'd like something with at least half way decent photo capability.

I know most people will tell me to get an iPhone, but I had Apple...vehemently. So, no iPhone.

If you guys say it is in my best interest to get another Android I will, but I am really reluctant after this last run. (There are times my phone won't make outgoing calls...I can dial numbers but can't hit talk to make a call...god forbid it be an emergency and I need to call 911 and have to spend 5 minutes turning off and restarting my phone)

Any good suggestions for around the $100-$200 price range? Service hasn't really been an issue since I've gotten an Airrave in my home, so I don't think that will play a big role.

Photon never made it past Android 2.3 IIRC. Get a nice new Spark phone, like the Nexus 5 or the Galaxy S4 (Spark version, model SPH-L720T).

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Can't speak to Windows phones as I've never used them, but all the Spark phones are Android.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Porting a number closes the account, and your final bill will be prorated. Still, you could call with your account number to confirm it's inactive, just for peace of mind.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Krime posted:

This happened to my Note 2 when I got the last system update.

My phone has slowed down so much and I have to press my home button 2 or 3 times sometimes to get it to register.

Not impressed.

The text prediction after the update is completely different and sucks a big one too.

Same here with my GS3.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I'm having a hard time finding out what phones are or aren't spark enabled.

Really?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SpelledBackwards posted:

Thank you for this! My brother and I say that all the time.

This is my favorite version.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

mastershakeman posted:

Sprint still has two year upgrade pricing, right? My girlfriend broke her old iphone 4s and I believed she had an upgrade to use, but the store she went to had people telling her the only choice now was to but the off contact price and pay a portion of it monthly. I'm thinking she was lied to but want to make sure.

Is she on a Framily plan?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The downside of Framily is no more discounted prices for phones.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

One step closer to a possible T-Mobile merger.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Medullah posted:

I dunno, I already cashed in my karma getting on SERO to begin with, I was on a best buy manager plan, quit in 2011 and they cut me off in 2012, I called Sprint and they offered to put me on SERO without me even asking. I think I'll probably just play fair heh.

You were given a gift, keep it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is there a list of which Sprint phones have WiFi calling? My contract is up July 1st and that's a must-have feature for me.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Jliznel posted:

any triband (aka spark) device ie: LG G2, Tri Band GS4, GS4 Mini, Galaxy Mega, Nexus 5, HTC One Max, and the LG G Flex, GS5, Note 3

Thanks!

Surprised the Galaxy S5 isn't on that list.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Medullah posted:

I became eligible for upgrade on my SERO plan today - I want to get a Galaxy S5, does Sprint.com/telesales have summer sales ever?

Ditto, wondering this too.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Jliznel posted:

My bad yo no need to be so snippy, They still do transfer of liability I did one last week for a customer.

Nobody's being snippy. If you can do a TOL for a SERO plan maybe you can help him out.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

All right, I'm on SERO and my upgrade kicked in this month.

Nexus 5 or Galaxy S5?

I'm going to Scotland for two weeks in August, is either of those a better choice for my trip?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It's time for me to get a new phone, which will be either a Galaxy S5 or a Nexus 5. Does either have an advantage when it comes to traveling overseas?

Also, what advantages does a Play Store N5 have over a Sprint N5? Not just for worldwide use (if any) but in general?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

raditts posted:

I was thinking of switching carriers, but reading the last few pages of this thread I take it that Sprint is not the one I want to switch to.

Where do you live?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just called SERO telesales and ordered a Nexus 5 for my upgrade:

code:
Phone and accessory subtotal: $161.98 
Activation/Upgrade fee: $36.00
Estimated shipping: $12.00
Estimated tax: $22.53
Total: $232.51
:smith: Is it too late to call back and ask for some fees to get waived?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So I'm going to the UK on Wednesday for 11 days. What kind of adapter to I need to plug in my charger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Blakkout posted:

What's the phone number for SERO telesales? I've always used the website for past SERO upgrades, but I have one coming up soon. Also, what fees if any are they typically willing to waive? Shipping?

Phone number I called is at the top of the OP.