Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Anyone familiar with the carrier options in the UK? Who's the best deal to use my new Nexus while I'm there for 10 days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

brc64 posted:

A lot of it probably depends on where you'll be, but I bought a prepaid SIM from EE while I was in and around London that gave me something crazy like 10 GB of 4G data with the promos they were running at the time. However, if you're looking to use a foreign SIM card in your Sprint phone, you'll need to call Sprint and ask them to unlock it before you leave. If you're leaving soon, I'd recommend you call now.

It's a Nexus 5, and I'll be in Glasgow.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How can I set up WiFi calling and texting on my Nexus 5? Can this only be done in Google Voice?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What about this? http://drippler.com/google/nexus_5#!1351012

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

the littlest prince posted:

SERO can only be transferred to someone who already has at least one SERO line.

Right, but he's asking if Sprint will still do a Transfer of Liability. That's generally been a "no" for a while now, but Jliznel said recently that they are. Maybe he can assist?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

uapyro posted:

I have for the most part. What you have to worry about mainly right now is a bug when sending a SMS text message. Some people send a duplicate 30 times, my phone has gone nuts and since it upwards of 60 times with the other persons phone blowing up for a while. But for the calls, they can be made and received with the cell radio off if you are connected to wifi. If it's LTE you can answer them on hangouts. If it's CDMA then I think you'll be cut off when the phone finally comes through. Usually hangouts will ring a few seconds in advance, but sometimes take 5 to 10 seconds to pickup.

There seems to be a bug where it'll keep ringing hangouts for several seconds when picking up the phone and the other person is already talking.

Interesting, can this be done with a non-Wifi calling phone? Specifically a Nexus 5.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

bar88537 posted:

I just called over to the sero line for an upgrade and they had said that I would have an activation fee with a new phone of $36. It seems steep, is that a normal price?

EDIT: I checked around some other forums and it looks like that's the case. Just weird that I don't remember paying it before.

Yeah, I paid that earlier this summer. Sometimes reps would waive the fee but I guess that's no longer the case.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is my Nexus 5 capable of 5Ghz hotspot?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

change my name posted:

I'm going to Canada (from NYC) for a week next month, how does this work? Should I go to a Sprint store and get switched over to some temporary international plan or something?

Just call and ask for the Canada Roaming Plan. It's $2.99/mo for reduced rates.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Contingency posted:

Is SERO worth the hassle of dealing with Sprint customer service? My Katana DLX still works, but not having a smartphone is this decade's "I don't own a television." Considering getting a Galaxy S6--I got the Katana with the $30 SERO 500 plan back in 2007, and I guess a 4G phone means signing up for SERO Premium.

You'll be fine, just call 866-264-1282 or 888-603-7981 and they'll adjust your plan to SERO P.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My parents' Galaxy S4s seem to always be on HD Voice when I talk to them.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

WoG posted:

No Canada, though. Still nice.

What I was thinking. Good for the 10 days I'll be in Scotland, although it seems better to just spend 15 pounds on a prepaid SIM from Three and get unlimited LTE. And I'm in Canada a few times a year, this would be handy.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Will Clear still operate?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I got my Nexus 5 from Sprint last August right before I went to Scotland, and I had no problem picking up a prepaid microSIM from Three and popping it in. Unlimited LTE worked just fine.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

GEMorris posted:

How much would an unlimited data Sim card cost for say 2 weeks?

The one I got was £15.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Blakkout posted:

This is bullshit. The minutes are probably the least important aspect of the plan, especially considering your weekend and weeknight minutes don't even count toward the 500 minute total. I usually use like 15-30 minutes per month.

I for one have gone over my 500 SERO minutes a couple of times.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

goku chewbacca posted:

https://www.sprint.com/inhomecoverage

Like T-Mobile, Sprint is now giving away wifi routers to customers with Wifi Calling phones. The routers are really nice Asus RT-AC66u with Sprint firmware that prioritizes Wifi Calling traffic. A few of the features from the Asus factory firmware are missing, but it may be possible to install Asus or aftermarket firmware just like with Tmobile's CellSpot.

Call (866) 556-7310 to order one from the AirRave department.

My Nexus 5 :negative:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Goons, I need a new wireless router and I want that free one. How do I get one?

I called twice on Saturday and my phone (Nexus 5) doesn't qualify. They said they're waiting on an update to that phone that will enable WiFi Calling, but I'm taking that with a big grain of salt.

I'm on SERO 500 and my next upgrade doesn't kick in until March 2016 ("when I sign up for Easy Pay or Sprint Lease" - pass, right?). I have one line but qualify for more. My understanding is that only Spark phones are qualifying phones - is that correct?

If so, I see that there is a Galaxy S4 that I could add for $0 down and $10/month for 2 years - is that just for the phone, or for the service with my 2nd line?

Could I open a second line, order this phone, qualify and get the router? And would I be paying double my current monthly for 2 lines?

If so, would I then just close the unneeded line and port my existing cell number (if needed) to the remaining line?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm actually okay with moving away from this Nexus 5, my parents both have Galaxy S4s (non-Spark I believe) and their call audio quality is great.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

goku chewbacca posted:

Paying $240 over 24 months to get a free router with locked down firmware that retails for $150...

Thanks, I didn't initially catch that and I'm glad someone did.

quote:

Borrow or buy a cheap used android phone that supports wifi calling, and activate it on your line before calling in. Sprint phones are cheap on the used market.

Not a bad idea...

quote:

If you really want a new phone, see if Sprint is offering you the $15/month bill credit to get one of their phones on lease. I have an EPRP (employee referral that replaced SERO) plan that's 6 months from a 2 year upgrade, but they're still offering me lease phone like the iPhone 6 and Galaxy S6 for $5/month.

Yeah, I'm really interested in a WiFi calling phone. If I can find a cheap used one, so much the better. And if they're offering me this it's also worth considering.

Thanks!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Robo Kitty posted:

I'm spending two weeks in England this summer and would like to be able to use my phone (iPhone 5, on SERO) if need be. Is International Value Roaming with the data pack add-on my best bet? $50 for 500 MB at 3G seems pretty pricey for what it gets you, but I'd rather not be stuck with the unlimited 2G data.

When I went to Glasgow last summer I bought a prepaid SIM for 15 quid and got unlimited LTE. I got it from Three, after looking at Virgin and O2.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Darkpriest667 posted:

Good call, I have a Nexus 5 on sprint and I wonder if I can just pull the sim in and out and it work on different networks. I'll ask in the google+ group.

I'm in Glasgow with my Nexus 5 and using a local prepaid SIM, getting unlimited 4G.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

the littlest prince posted:

How do you spend over ~$55 each on SERO 500?

My SERO 500 is ~$75/mo after taxes and TEP.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

EdEddnEddy posted:

I still don't get it. What's eating up so much for you?

With Sero 500 and TEP I only have a $64 bill each month after all the tax and fees. Do you have that new TEP Plus or something?

I couldn't live without Unlimited. I use over 20G month easily.

So this morning I dropped my phone on the sidewalk and murdered my screen. The phone still works - calls, texts, and touchscreen - but the upper left corner is a gouged mess and there are cracks all over like spiderwebs.

I have TEP, so I stopped by a Sprint store and asked what my options were: either call Asurion to get a replacement, for the cost of my deductible (probably $150 for my Nexus 5), or I'm apparently eligible for Early Upgrade.

What's the fine print for Early Upgrade? What will it cost me up front and long term? I'm on SERO 500 and would like to stick with it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Also, I just found out about the Nexus 5X aka Nexus 5 2015. Anyone know if it will come to Sprint? I'm interested in maybe using an Early Upgrade for it, and I'm also hoping it will get WiFi Calling.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Anyone know if the Nexus 5X will be available from Sprint?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

GoatSeeGuy posted:

This seems both necessary and a really bad idea on Sprints part.

http://recode.net/2015/09/30/sprint-to-hike-unlimited-data-plan-costs-by-10-starting-oct-16/

As I type this my new 6S is getting between .86 and 1.92 Mbps down on LTE.

Anyone know if my $50/mo SERO 500 plan is affected?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I have a Nexus 5 with a spiderwebbed screen after I dropped it. I could make a claim with Asurion to replace it for $150, but I'm guessing the phone isn't worth that much.

I'm on SERO 500 and a store employee told me I'm eligible for an early upgrade. I'm not keen on the size of the Nexus 6, the 5 isn't in stock at sprint.com, and the 5X won't be offered by Sprint.

Here's what I'm thinking: Use the early upgrade and get a Nexus 6, switch to Project Fi, sell the 6 and get a 5X.

How much will this cost me?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

IOwnCalculus posted:

Why on earth would you get a new phone from Sprint if you're just going to leave?

I'm pretty close to broke right now, just started a new job yesterday after almost 6 weeks not working (shortly after returning from a 3-week trip overseas). If I can get it cheap or free (can I?) it would help a lot.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

At least it'll be cheaper poo poo.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What kind of plan are you on?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks to Asurion, I recently exchanged my smashed Nexus 5 for an HTC One E8. What is a good choice of protective case for this phone? Preferably something that isn't too bulky.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

moolchaba posted:

And it has a removable battery. I'm considering it, but not digging that curve.

G4 isn't curved.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I went thru the replacement steps on Asurion's website and was offered some LG phone, can't remember what. I called and asked if I could have something with WiFi calling, they offered me the E8. They said I could have something even nicer if I paid a higher deductible.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So my SECOND LG G4 died on me and I'm waiting for a warrantied replacement.

My roommate let me borrow his old unlocked T-Mobile Galaxy S5.

Is there anyway to get it to work on Sprint's network?

Nope, not without a Sprint serial number. Probably doesn't have the right frequencies anyway.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Do you need a free crappy TV? The 6p is a better long-term investment.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So I'm a SERO user, and contemplating a train trip from Chicago to DC at the end of this month (June 20th-28th round trip). The train doesn't offer wifi, so I'm wondering about getting a USB modem or hotspot just for the trip. Does Sprint have anything that doesn't require an outright purchase or a 2-year contract, or should I look elsewhere?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

EdEddnEddy posted:

Are you on Android? Are you afraid to Root/custom rom and just enable Tethering?

Not against the idea, I do have a crappy HTC One E8. Just wondering if it's worth the effort as my contract is up in July and I'll be switching to Google Fi pronto.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That's good to know, thanks. I'll keep it in mind, but I may end up flying Southwest instead of riding the rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I've had a good run on Sprint with an oldskool SERO plan, but my contract is up this Saturday and I'll be switching to Project Fi. Is selling SERO plans and doing a TOL still a thing, especially if I want to port my number?