Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Is the 4G map on sprint.com accurate at all? Because assuming it is accurate means my phone's 4G antenna is a POS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

sanchez posted:

Not even slightly, take its coverage area as showing places where you might get 4g service sometimes.
Figured that, thanks for the confirmation.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

jerman999 posted:

Everytime I restart my EVO Shift, the phone sends random old texts to people in my contacts. Is this an Android problem?

My Shift does not do this.

Unrelated I've noticed that my F key works about 50% of the time. Can I swap to a new Shift for free? Should I wait till down the road and swap+upgrade to a newer phone?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I posted a bit ago I think about having a, "F" key on my Evo Shift that works ~50% of the time you press it. This is something I can get a phone replacement for correct (without having to pay the TEP deductible)?

Further to that, if my phone was to have been bitten by my dogs today resulting in cosmetic damage only, will I still be able to get the phone replace for free due to the above reason?

:sigh:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Always worth a try, but usually animals chewing on it kills warranty.
Not what I wanted to hear of course but thanks anyway. If I can find my non-phone camera I'll post some pictures along with the eventual resolution of this.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ok this morning I woke up to a popup on my Shift saying something about an OTA update being available. I cancelled out to text and check email. Going back into settings > System Updates I am told that everything is up to date. What update did I just miss? I assume it will randomly pop back up at some point, when it does, do I actually want to install it?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Shift has a slow shutter speed also, is this a common thing with HTC phones? My Env Touch took better pictures of moving objects honestly.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

As a Sprint Premier Silver member nothing changes for me with regards to Sprint ending their annual upgrade thing right? From what I've managed to find that is only a Gold level thing but I wanted to make sure I don't miss out on something by the end of the year.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Is this text messaging poo poo still going on?

I never received 3 text messages yesterday (two of which were picture messages) from a AT&T number. The entire day I was in areas with good cellular reception. Phone is a Evo Shift.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

falz posted:

I had MMS issues forever, the only fix I found was to install a fresh ROM/factory reset and choose NOT to have Google restore your data/info. Something that they were restoring was simply bad.

Would buying a new phone fix this issue also? I'm hating my phone enough as is so maybe I could bitch enough to get my upgrade moved up.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I received an "Unknown" call a few days ago on my Sprint phone. Unfortunately I didn't decide to try and determine the number that called me until after other phone calls had been made and received on the phone. What options do I have for tracking down the number that the call originated from?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Giblet posted:

It will show up on your next bill, you can view the detailed bill online. It should show up in your call log on the phone also. This is assuming by unknown that it was a number you did not recognize and not a blocked number. If it was blocked you would have have a lawyer and possibly the authorities involved to have a chance in hell to get the number.

It doesn't show up in the call log on the phone, well it does but just as "Unknown". I'll keep an eye out for the next bill just in case though.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

!!PROBLEM AAAAAAAAAAAA

My Evo Shift received no text messages or phone calls from my SO's iPhone 5 today. We both stayed in the Nashville/Davidson County (TN) area and we both sent/received calls and texts from other people today with no issues. She was able to see my texts but I didn't see any of hers (I never called her, till just now).

Is this a Sprint issue? My phone is a POS issue (it is)? Other? Combo?

edit: Update, so yep I can call her but if she calls me it immediately goes to voicemail. :(

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 8, 2013

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, your phone is a POS in some ways, sorry to say :(

I'd take it into a store. In nashville most of the dealers are fine, I'd recommend probably absolute wireless off Harding place and 65. I personally worked at the cool springs mall and in Brentwood, but they are not tech centers so they would be a bit limited on helping you. Half of this post is just me missing nashville and wanting to reference places :(

Don't I know it :(

My contract is up in a few months, if early renewal is an option what phones should I be looking at? Ignore this if the OP is up to date, I'm phone posting and about to check.

Working all day but hopefully I can get some downtime to swing by a store and ask questions.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

There likely is no longer an option for an early upgrade. PMing you info in case you need a trusted local.

Since I don't trust pm's working from the app, got it thanks.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

As it turned out my account was eligible for a full upgrade with no early fees so I went ahead and did that and left with a Galaxy S3. Now to spend way too long playing with my new phone.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

mophomanners posted:

I hope it goes on sale soon my EVO3d has a funky echo and a crackling ear speaker

I don't know what's going on sale but when I was inside a Sprint store today they were actively working on changing their displays for the upcoming sale, I would guess next week?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It looks like family share plans are going to be losing some of their discount potential (and right after I get on one too): http://www.landofdroid.com/2011/sprint-rumoured-to-be-adjusting-discount-rules-on-shared-accounts/

edit: Ignore, I'm retarded.

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 22, 2013

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

CharlesM posted:

Posted 396 days ago.

Oh yeah it's 2013 :doh:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Is this thread an okay place for phone problems since I use Sprint?

I recently upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy 3 and having used the GPS a few different times it sucks and takes a long time (if ever) to lock on to my location. What should I be doing to fix this?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

uapyro posted:

Is there usually long periods of time without using it? Or pretty big distances? To get a faster lock, use something like this: http://goo.gl/njmFw
Yes. I tried this and it didn't lock after ~10 minutes. Restarting the phone fixed it :confused:

Giblet posted:

Go to setting, click location services, select use wireless network.
If I was on the interstate without any wifi networks in range (like 100% certain) would this work via voodoo magic? Genuinely curious.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

brc64 posted:

Pretty much this. Especially since they jacked up the monthly fee. $50 to replace the phone without TEP is still a better value than paying for it every month...

Are you saying that if I break/lose my phone I can get a new one for $50 without TEP?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I didn't realize TEP had a $100 deductible like that. Bad detail reading in my part, usually I don't gently caress up like that. Cancelling tep now!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm getting what looks like an Android update pushed to my S3. Has anyone else tried it? Will it just poo poo all over my phone?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

datajosh posted:

Probably the MB1 update to 4.1.2, my wife and I have been running it for a bit with no issues.

Currently running 4.1.1, installing the update now :ohdear:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What is the best # to call to bitch at sprint for the bad Nashville service the past few days and/or find out why?

And I mean bad relative to the normal poo poo sprint.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ah well then I hope it's that :downs:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tell me about this Framily plan poo poo.

Is there any sort of account master that can snoop on other account member's phone usage/call logs/etc?

How is the +$20 unlimited data and annual upgrade plan work compared to the current upgrade path? Are the phones subsidized the same amount?

What are any downsides to this plan?

---

Currently I have the option to get on a plan with some family members that would make my spouse and I's combined rate go down $20 if we spring for the unlimited data add-on and assuming the taxes and TEP charge are the same (I might drop TEP also but anyway). Could we be hosed if my family then leaves the plan and be unable to go back to the old plan with unlimited data + work discount setup we currently have?

edit: read back a page, it looks like current sprint customers might not be able to swap over to a framily plan is that accurate still (that it depends on the rep you talk to)?

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 2, 2014

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Totally TWISTED posted:

Tell me about this Framily plan poo poo.

Is there any sort of account master that can snoop on other account member's phone usage/call logs/etc?

How is the +$20 unlimited data and annual upgrade plan work compared to the current upgrade path? Are the phones subsidized the same amount?

What are any downsides to this plan?

---

Currently I have the option to get on a plan with some family members that would make my spouse and I's combined rate go down $20 if we spring for the unlimited data add-on and assuming the taxes and TEP charge are the same (I might drop TEP also but anyway). Could we be hosed if my family then leaves the plan and be unable to go back to the old plan with unlimited data + work discount setup we currently have?

edit: read back a page, it looks like current sprint customers might not be able to swap over to a framily plan is that accurate still (that it depends on the rep you talk to)?

Anyone? I could just ask a rep in store of course but I trust you guys more :v:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What is the poo poo with Sprints website listing multiple leasing options, a monthly payment buy option, and a full purchase price option but not a contract option? Googling news articles makes it seem like the contract option is still a thing. Is sprint trying to hide a good deal from me? Is the contract a shittier deal?

This is for the 128GB iPhone 7 that my wife wants to upgrade to. What is the $10 service credit? Any why doesn't buying the phone at full price show that my bill would be lowered by $10 per month to compensate?

If I purchase a sprint compatible iphone 7 separately and then bring it to Sprint for activation will I be able to get my monthly bill reduced?

Currently we are on an Everything Data 1500 plan with a $20 discount per month due to an employee discount from her work. (if this is relevant)

This all seems like a very complicated way to gently caress me over.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for the response.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am looking to buy a used/older model new phone outright to swap out with my Galaxy S5.

Should I look at any android phones beyond S7, LG G5, Nexus 6P? Thoughts on those phones?

Not going to be upgrading on contract as the wife is the last phone I want to get on contract with Sprint. Figuring we may end up switching carriers once our contract is up.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I think I will be waiting till the S8 drops to see how prices shift down. And then decide from there. For my needs I believe that I can stay a gen behind and be fine. Maybe if prices are close enough I'll go new.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Long story short I've ended up not buying a used phone and just ordered a S8 from Sprint.com that I've paid in full (side-note: a sprint affiliate store that I called was going to charge me $50 to buy the phone in person lol what).

Does anyone have any case recommendations (sans Otterbox - I don't want something that bulky)? TIA~

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

effika posted:

Diztronic makes a good TPU case.

That's actually the case I have on my S5, didn't think to look at the brand till now. It's been a good case so ya will probably just get the S8 case then, thanks.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Any advice for a phone that having zero problems with data/text but cannot receive or make phone calls? My S8 just decided to give me like a busy tone or some poo poo a few hours ago and it hasn't gone away for outbounds and people can't call me.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

nimper posted:

Did you reboot the phone?

Should have mentioned it but yeah I did. Didn't help.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

About to take a trip to Western Europe, my wife and I are on Sprint. I understand there is the free global 2G poo poo tier, likely that will not be good enough. What other options do we have?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It'll be a two week trip, my phone is paid in full but my wife's is not. $25/week (per phone I assume) doesn't sound terrible so I'll probably just end up doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

DrPossum posted:

My trusty s4 bricked yesterday so I hauled up and went off to the sprint store to get however new many s's to my galaxy. I need something today due to some upcoming travel, so I was less inclined to wait for amazon to deliver something.

gently caress leasing anything, so I go in and there's plenty of "BUY IT TODAY" posters and "PRICE TODAY" next to the phones and I said "one s9 for today good sir". My bullshit meter was on alert for insurance and accessories and bullshit "free" tablets that add $25 to your plan. I wasn't ready for "Oh, sprint doesn't let us sell phones today anymore. You have to lease and after the next billing cycle you can call the help center and pay for it in full". I was :what:

It was straight out of a comedy where you have literal huge signs surrounding you saying one thing and then being told another. I was livid and walked out. What the gently caress?

I presume this is insanely not true and they just get some commission when I lease for at least one billing cycle?

I may have posted in this thread, or maybe just bitched IRL but I had a Sprint store try and charge me $50 on top of the phone price as some sort of convenience fee for buying the phone in store.

Ended up ordering on Sprint.com for full price no bullshit fees.