Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

god this blows posted:

So I'm torn right now. I'm currently using my almost 2 yr old Palm Pre that randomly shuts down on me and the battery just barely gets through the day. I want to switch to Android but I'm torn on what to get. I like the Nexus S as I'd get the updates from Google as opposed to Sprint/Manufacturer, but I also like the look of the Evo 3d. Is there really going to be a need for a dual core phone?

Yes. Do you want things to happen faster?

I mean, is there a need for dual core computers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sure but I don't do software builds, video encodes, or large number crunching on my phone. Outside of those applications there's nothing I do on my computer that requires dual core, and there's few things that see significant responsiveness improvement from it.

There was a fairly critical need for phones to get better/faster computationally up until the most recent generation, as previous devices simply weren't sufficient to do mobile web browsing as adequate as we would like them. At this point, Opera on my Epic runs well enough that at least 90% of sites I visit render timely and I have no browsing issues with them. I don't imagine the type of sites I'd want to visit on my phone are going to get significantly more complicated over the next two years, given they haven't over the past five or six. Multitasking maybe, but again, I don't really see my multitasking habits changing too dramatically.

As always, mobile gaming will probably be the first big push of mobile multicore. So the real question is, how much do you game?

I don't mean to come off as argumentative, and this is probably do to my technical background/lifestyle, but I find these sorts of comments ridiculous.

My phone is NO WHERE near the speed of my desktop computer at anything. Every single type of computing I do on it is a massive compromise because of the tiny power-sipping processor.

Why the hell wouldn't I want millisecond page rendered multi-tabbed browsing? Full HDMI out that let the phone become my personal computer? Multi core processing to be able to handle higher def videos in both decode and encode and to support higher megapixel cameras?

Until my phone is as fluid, responsive, fast, and as capable as the most powerful computers I currently use, I'll always want more horsepower. And I bet when they do finally catch up, there will be new computing paradigms that I take advantage of that will even require MORE power.

"Good enough" is a backwards looking position in my eyes.

That being said there is a huge draw to a stock nexus device as well. You definitely have to weigh the pros and cons of software vs hardware.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
The funny thing about the Samsung GPS issue is that you always get all these people, in this thread and others on the internet, claiming that their GPS is fine and everyone else must just have a defective unit.

I think part of the problem is that it does work at points, but it's always flaky as poo poo taken as a whole. That and I think some people just have really low expectations of how a phone GPS should work.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I am starting to question my decision to get a EVO 3D this summer. I looked at the Nexus S (of course not the Sprint version) at the Best Buy and it felt like a real nice phone. It was sleeker than my EVO and nicer display. I loved the size (it felt great in my hand) and how thin it was. Only thing I didn't like was the black glossy look. It was not bad, but I would of went different.

My major concern with the EVO 3D is battery life. I am concern because the EVO doesn't have a good battery life. I have tried different ROMs and kernels, but if I didn't work in a office where I could plug it in my EVO would never make it through the day. I know the EVO 3D will have a bigger battery but because of the new features I would guess it would be a net even or worst than the EVO.

Does anyone know what kind of battery life the Nexus S gets now? It shouldn't be that much different than the Sprint version for me since I don't use 4G. I guess what I am saying I think I would take a phone as powerful as the current EVO that last all day over the EVO 3D that only lasts until 2pm. Now who knows but I could be wrong and the EVO 3D have great battery life (I really do doubt it). Plus I am so over Sense now after using CM7. As stated before what if you can't perm root the EVO 3D?

One more question since Samsung is having nothing to do with the software on the Nexus S does that mean Google gets to push the updates?

I think you are mistaken in your thinking about the EVO3D battery life. It should be better than the EVO. Things like the 3d cameras shouldn't have any effect on battery life if you aren't using them. The only thing that might impact battery life is if Sense 3.0 is running more background services that wake up the device and use data.

Talk time will definitely be better and standby time should be better. The new processor is based off of a 45nm die and therefore is more power efficient. It also has lots of tricks where it can conserve power by down clocking itself and shutting off cores.

I think absolute worst case scenario it's the same as the EVO, but I would bet it is better. Remember, Gingerbread is a little easier on the battery itself.

I agree with you on the actual physical characteristics of the Nexus though. I too prefer its smaller size and display.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
I've been playing around with the GV integration for the last hour. It is awesome.

Also, when you call people from your gmail account now it actually uses your cell #. This means you could drop your phone in a toilet and call people and text people from any web browser.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Chappy posted:

Yeah but you could always do that, just now you can do with with your sprint number.

I actually like having two numbers. I give the GV number to people I really don't want to talk to, since it's so easy to filter them out.

Right, but it was worthless for me before. None of my friends/contacts would pickup a call from some random number (I never gave my GV number out), now it's actually useful since it comes from my cell #.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Anyone with a Xoom and this new Sprint/Google voice integration besides me?

So, the Xoom comes with the new version of "Talk" that lets you do voice/video calls in Honeycomb. One of the features you can take advantage of with Google Voice is that if someone rings your # you can forward the call to your gtalk account and answer it from your PC. I decided to see if it would come through the new version of Gtalk on my Xoom. Potentially, I would then be able to take cell phone calls on the tablet anywhere I had a data connection.

I only got to test it it once because I don't have a second line handy to call from, but it didn't seem to work. There is no reason it couldn't work though, as all the tech is in place for it to. Looks like the Sprint may have had Google draw the line here though. Someone else test it to backup my findings!

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

chemosh6969 posted:

That's what I ended up doing except then I never know when I get MMS.

I'm confused. What are you trying to do again?

If you don't want it to send actual "normal" text messages to your cell phone and just send GV app text messages, then just turn off "receive text messages on this phone" in the options.

It works dandy.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
I've been using the GV integration since sometime last week and I have to say this is the greatest upgrade to my cell phone/smartphone owning experience since the motorola RAZR. Just kidding, but this is seriously awesome stuff that I can now do.

Hey if you have the integration turned on, hit 4 on your phone when someone calls and it will record the entire conversation and plop it into your GV account online.

OH and if you are using Chrome install this extension immediately:

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/beoddpfedeggnbomdpakbobkklaphllf

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I sort of accidentally turned on GVoice integration and had a few questions (I thought there would be more steps than "click button NOW IRREVERSIBLE THING HAS BEEN DONE WITHOUT CONFIRMATION!!").

1) It says that international calls are done through GVoice. Is this required? On Sprint I was already paying for cheap international service as I call the UK somewhat frequently. Do I have to learn the GVoice system now?

2) What happens when I leave Sprint, does the number go away, or is it still my Google Voice number?

It's not irreversible, you can turn it off in one click too.

1. It automatically routes through Gvoice for international calls now. From what I've seen, the rates are pretty low in gvoice.

2. Sprint still owns your number. If you leave Sprint you will lose the Google Voice stuff as well.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

TheBlackMallard posted:

I only messed with it for an hour before I turned it off, but handcent stopped receiving any notifications. Google Voice uses data for SMS which is why I turned ot off for now.

You didn't mess with it long enough. There is a checkbox in Google Voice settings that sends the text to your normal SMS app. "Foward texts to phone" or some such.

Look, you guys can either use your normal SMS app, the GV app, or both. There is no downside to this, seriously.

If you use the GV app the texts get sent out over wifi. If you use your normal SMS app they get sent out over the 1xEVDO connection as they always have.

EITHER WAY, the texts all sync up perfectly in Google Voice.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Turnquiet posted:

I kind of like having my google voice number and my sprint number separate, and then using the voice app to route communications through voice when I do things like craigslist transactions. I set my phone to ask prior to each dial, and boom, now I can block dillweeds who start harassing you over a price being too high or something. Losing that voice number or the ability to pick to text or call from voice or from sprint seems like a negative.

You do realize that your cell number now BECOMES your Google Voice number, right?

So, the dillweeds can be blocked exactly the same as before. Except now you aren't annoyingly asked which number to use every time you want to make a phone call.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Didn't see this answered.

Interestingly, how it works is you can MAKE texts through either a SMS app or GV, but you only receive them through GV.

What, no you don't. You receive them on both too. You can make texts on either app and you can receive texts on your SMS app, GV app, or both.

SKYS THE LIMIT FRIEND.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

hoonchops posted:

I can send using handcent but only receive in the GVoice app. Calls to mobiles are coming out of my minutes despite being on 'everything data 900' (includes 'Unlimited Any Mobile, Anytime')

Texts will come to handcent if you have the below checked in your Google voice settings:

Also, calls shouldn't come out of your minutes if you are calling a cell.

On the backend, you are still going over sprint if you call from your phone (to a domestic number). It does hit a google server, but the call doesn't actually go through it. This means you will still get all your free mobile to mobile. The only time the call will actually go over the google service instead of just Sprint is when you call internationally.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Slo-Tek posted:

Upgrade time. Like an hour from now. Wife has an Evo, and a two-line data plan. I currently have a dumb phone.

Leaning hard toward the Evo Shift. I cannot type a 16 character alphanumeric password in to the Evo virtual keyboard. I've experimented with my wife's evo for an hour or more, and I cannot get used to the touchscreen.

Reassure me that I want an Evo Shift. I want to be able to be able to google poo poo in the car, and that is the overwhelming majority of what I will do with it.

This the way to go? I don't really care about call quality, since I don't really call people, I just want internet and schedule everywhere.

Is the Epic still not worth having in my circumstance?

Do not get the Epic.

An hour isn't long enough to get used to a touchscreen keyboard. Also, if she was using the stock EVO keyboard instead of the Gingrbread keyboard that is another handicap.

Shift is fine though.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
With full integration you are NOT PORTING YOUR # from Sprint!

Sprint owns it still.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
How long was that promo good for again?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Thumposaurus posted:

Well duh I should have thought of that.
So now it works but I am getting double notifications one in Handcent and one for google voice.
I don't see any option to turn off SMS notifications for just google voice.

EDIT: less mean answer, you can disable notifications in google voice but it will disable both text and voicemail notifications.

Jensen fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 8, 2011

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Anyone using Google Voice integration suddenly find your calls aren't being forwarded to your Sprint phone?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Jensen posted:

Anyone using Google Voice integration suddenly find your calls aren't being forwarded to your Sprint phone?

Hey nevermind it had nothing to do with GV! The Sprint network in central Florida is going haywire at the moment!

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

900ftjesus posted:

No surprises so far.

EDIT: The Green Hornet in 3D. Awesome, 3 dimensions of a bad movie.

So, Sprint, am I going to be able to delete this from my phone? Your move.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Is it a physically larger battery? Or did they manage to cram more power into the same size battery as their other phones?

Nope, it's bigger.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
More ways to post cat videos!

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

visuvius posted:

Yeah the guy at the sprint store said that they were supposed to show up when I sign into google but I dont see them. Appbrain is good for this isnt it?

Coming from the EVO4G your apps will not sync. That was something Android added in Froyo but HTC didn't include it in the EVO 4G froyo build. All your Android phones from here forward (including the EVO 3D) will automatically back up your apps so that they will re-download on your next device.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

visuvius posted:

Either I'm doing the 3D picture thing wrong or my camera is busted. I can't seem to get a crisp, in focus 3D picture. I am seeing both images, almost overlapping but not really. Its like they're not aligning properly. Anyone else have this problem or is it just super finicky?

You can see if one of your cameras is busted thus screwing up the 3D effect.

Download this guy:
http://www.stereoscopynews.com/download/software/654-mpo-toolbox.html

Pull your MPO picture off the phone and drag it over the MPO2JPEGS.exe file and drop it. It will pull apart the two jpegs and you can see if one is crazy out of focus.

Oh and then convert it to anaglyph and put on your old school red/blue 3d glasses and be amaaazed.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

The screen definitely has a narrow viewing angle when you're looking at 3D content. Also, there's a range that works best; anything closer than about a foot doesn't ever come out good, and anything further away than about 40 feet just looks flat (large buildings, etc.). Other than that, I've really enjoyed the novelty so far.

You know you can adjust the 3d affect? Click the little wand icon on the picture and you can fix those ones that are too close by lowering the 3d effect (left button) and add 3d affect to the far away shots (right button).

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

DaveKap posted:

I can confirm that it does display a 4G instead of a 3G. It looks like a 4G with 3 waves above it instead of a 3G with 2 arrows. The thing that's weird to me is that there are zero 3G settings in the unit, it's just assumed that if you want data, aren't near wifi, and have 4G off, then you're going 3G.

Huh? That's what the "mobile data" setting is for. Turn it off if you don't want any data.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

brc64 posted:

You people are scaring the hell out of me. I grabbed my wife's Shift yesterday to take a quick video (still haven't gotten around to updating CM7 on my EVO 4G to fix that) and the update prompt had appeared. I declined, but... has anybody had a positive experience with the official Gingerbread updates for the EVO 4G or Shift?

Gingerbread for EVO 4G is awesome and had a ton of benefits for me. (Now I have an EVO 3D though).

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
EVO 3D battery life is insanely good.

I'm at 22h 17m on battery with 2h 20m of screen on time with 43% left.

If the battery drain is linear that is something like 40 hours of battery life with 4 hours of screen on time.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

nate fisher posted:

Wow I am shocked at well he liked it over the EVO 3D. The Photon never was on my radar. Guess it should have been.

I don't know if it's my old age or because technology and smartphones are things I personally know a lot about - but I find reviews of these things to be sort of arbitrary and mostly meaningless. Except for Anandtech, those guys do it right.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
So Engadget reviewed the Photon. I don't understand why they hate the Evo 3D so much. They call the Photon Sprint and Motorola's best phone yet, while calling the 3D disappointing, and saying "Instead of trying to wow us with a gimmicky 3D camera, it differentiates itself by being Sprint's first global phone with WiMAX, and as such supports CDMA / EV-DO for North America along with GSM / HSPA for the rest of the world."

They admit that the Photon is a slower phone, has a lovely Pentile qHD screen, and doesn't have some amazing camera. So what amazing features does it have that place it above the 3D, which has a faster processor? It's 1) .9 mm wider, 2) has a kickstand, 3) is a worldphone, and 4) doesn't have gimmicky 3D.

Engadget doesn't seem to understand that the 3D aspect is entirely optional.

Most smartphone reviews seem to be worthless. Outside of actual fact based reviews on scientific metrics (anandtech), I seem to be totally alienated and confused by professional reviewers opinions'. I'll read their review, either own or use the product they reviewed, and usually find myself often not agreeing at all with their conclusions about individual features.

And they can't agree with each other most of the time. Videogames, for example, seem to have much closer score groupings.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

I didn't sell mine back, it has found new life as a Pandora player for my home stereo.

I destroyed mine with baseball bat in a corn field.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Sprint ending premier program:

http://www.sprintfeed.com/2011/09/sprint-ending-premier-program/

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
This is all because of the goddamn iphone!

Suck it up Sprint, Android loving, brethren. We must bear our cross for the greater good. We don't want the iphone but Sprint needs it to stay afloat.

I JUST hit my 10 years too. The iphone costs too much money to give anyone the possibility to get a new one at contract price every year. You could potentially keep your old phone and sell the iphone every year for a pretty large profit.

So, those of us with the 25% discount (me), now that we lost one of the other large Sprint perks - has anyone done the math to see how close Tmob is now to Sprint's (discounted) pricing? I think AT&T and Verizon are still fairly expensive in comparison. There sure does seem a lot less keeping me on big yellow now though.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Isn't the EVO 3D only $20 at wirefly?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

yellowjournalism posted:

Thanks for the words. Unfortunately I hate pentile so Photon is a no go. I was mostly venting over the silly junk they had me do, which I highly suspect was them trying to time me out on the 30-day return/exchange period. They offered me a white Evo 3D to exchange, which sounded nice, and then I was waiting a solid week before they told me it was out of stock, another week before they told me they had no idea when it would come back in stock, I said uh give me a couple days and then found out that it was a Radioshack exclusive so they would NEVER get it in stock, and even after telling them this directly over the phone they refused to do anything but dodge dodge dodge until I later got fed up and said just get me a black one, and then they tried to charge me a replacement fee, saying that I was out of my 30 days, and after phone transfer roulette they told me someone canceled my order for no reason. So I was a little annoyed to get a new handwarmer.

I don't know a drat thing about Samsung besides the updated thread title which said "goon-recommended" to me, so I guess I'll just see how this Evo 3D pans out.

And yeah I'm ponying up the extra $10 because I want a great device, not to mention that I'm developing for Android.

Does it lock up when it gets hot? Or do you just not like hot things?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
http://www.bgr.com/2011/10/03/sprint-guarantees-to-buy-over-20-billion-in-iphones-from-apple-launching-the-iphone-5-exclusively/

Horseshit or no?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Everyone vote for posterity. Your kids need to know someday where you stood on the "iPhone/Sprint exclusivity debacle of 2011."

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Picky rear end in a top hat here. EVO 3D has been a solid upgrade for me and no real issues to complain about after owning one since launch day.

GPS doesn't work as well as EVO 4G and seems to draw more power as well. Overall battery life is better though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
The only reason I am still with Sprint is because I get a 25% (shady) discount and the 4G works in my city and actually works inside my gym, letting me stream Spotify quite well.

If they ever kick me off my discount I'm out. I would have stayed if they kept Premier gold around, but now the only reason is the fact that it's the cheapest option.