Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

Hello, fellow authoring internet friends.

I published a little sci-fi short story on Smashwords, mostly just as a test of the site and internet/self-publishing in general. I've decided to throw it on sale for the weekend and it is now free free free until Monday!!!

Artifact

quote:

Andrew Dickson, a retiring space pirate, stumbles across an old friend – one who ran off with a five million dollar prize she swiped from his crew some years back. What started out as a farewell party turns into a dangerous chase to retrieve the long-lost artifact that was pilfered from them.

Get it on Smashwords
Get it on Amazon*

*The Amazon version is not free free free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

tarepanda posted:

I wonder... what if, in every book you published, you said something saying that people buy based on reviews, yet people never write reviews... so to encourage your readers who made it all the way to the end of the book, you'll give a free copy of your next book to a random reviewer, good or bad?

That's not a bad theory, I don't see how it could hurt you to suggest it at the end.

Though if someone hated your writing, I can't imagine they'd want to read more of what you'd wrote.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

I've made roughly $20 through Amazon over the last month via $0.99 short stories, and about $11 since February through Smashwords.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

People can ask for refunds if they don't like your writing? I guess that makes a sad sort of sense...I'm kind of glad that hasn't happened yet over 60 sales.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

Oh, hey, apparently my parenting short story is #10 most downloaded on the parenting section of Smashwords, and #1 in the Parenting/fatherhood section. It's bittersweet...between all the retailers I've probably had like 2000+ downloads and I haven't made a damned cent from it. That's not all there is to life, though, I guess.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

Real name for normal stories, fake name for stories that include sex.

Would really rather not have my grandmother (or coworkers or anyone for that matter)...hell, anyone stumbling across the latter while looking at the former.

Roar fucked around with this message at Nov 25, 2011 around 10:23

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

Just digital.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

Mass Market Paperback sales down 54%

So how about them ebooks, huh?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

I think he makes some valid points. I've only published short stories (Less than 10k words) so far and I couldn't imagine anyone paying more than $0.99 for them and as such don't charge any more that. When it comes to full-length works, though...I dunno.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

I don't want to join KDP Select. Holy poo poo are they trying to get me to, though. The KDP dashboard is covered with links and checkboxes for it.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Granted, at 99 cents I am way more lenient about a book not being the greatest, but at 5.99 I expect a damned good book and if it seems even the least bit "eh" from the description I don't buy it, or if it sucks I ask for a refund.

A lot of the books on the Kindle store from the 'established' authors aren't much less than the physical copies of the books they sell. $4-6 doesn't seem too outrageous for someone without any street cred who most likely spent the same amount of time working on a book.

Assuming they ARE good, that is. If they're poo poo, all bets are off. vv

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

Double-posting all up in this bitch.

http://blog.smashwords.com/2011/12/...s-with-kdp.html

Here's Smashwords take on the KDP Select thing. Main point: If you sign up with Select, any books that participate are contractually obligated to be 100% Amazon exclusive.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

Okay, so I'm in the final steps of getting my first full-length book out there on Amazon/Smashwords etc (well, not the first novel, but the first I think is worth publishing). I've never been much of a graphic designer, but I've taught myself some photoshop (sort of) and put together this.

click for full

How badly does it make me look like an indie hack? I really want this book to be my first real venture beyond short stories, so I want to make a good impression. If it's garbage feel free to tell me, I'd rather hear it from you guys than not get any sales thanks to appearance alone.

e: Eesh, the red text in the timg is almost blinding.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

Oh, wow, I didn't even realize that there was a way TO change the text spacing. Learn something new every day when it comes to PS.

Take 2!

Better/worse? Greyscale made the picture look flat, in my opinion, but I think the black text works a lot better.

Humbaba posted:

That title screams screams screams that an amateur created the cover. Go look at a bunch of covers on Amazon and steal some ideas for the font and shadowing. Other than the title it looks good.

I am an amateur when it comes to photoshop I just don't understand enough about the effects to get that professional look. I really ought to look into some classes for this sort of stuff.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

Thanks to everyone who critiqued my cover, I think I'll continue tweaking it and learning PS until it's all perfect-shiny like.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

So, fun fact. Raising the price of one of my short stories from $.99 to $1.99 two days ago has had literally no effect on the sales - I'm still selling about 2-5 copies a day. Not best-seller list by any means, but doubling the royalty is a nice bonus. Gonna keep it at that price until Monday to see what happens.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

Metropolis posted:

How long is your story?

~8000 words.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

So the sales for the weekend with the updated prices have been a rousing success, considering I sold more than usual. I'm not going to chalk that up the price increase, but at least I know it won't push people away from buying.

That being said, apparently Smashwords hasn't told any of the other retailers I'm distributing to through them about the price increase. The Amazon robots found that out sometime between this morning and last night, and now it's back to $0.99. Can't do jack about it until all the retailers are on the same page. Oh well, at least it looks like it's on sale now.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

MattDaddy posted:

Over the last two weeks I have er...penetrated the inner folds of erotica ebooks and selfpubbing.

Granted, some will outperform others. Some will probably not sell much and others could possibly do extremely well.

This is definitely true. My main short erotica story is where 90% of my sales come from, while I have one that's sold less than ten copies.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

One of my books got refunded for the first time. Sucks, I was one sale away from 100 for the month!

Roar fucked around with this message at Dec 21, 2011 around 21:43

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

The more you use pen names, the less of an opportunity you have to build your name as a brand. I agree with Mattdaddy - unless you have some pressing need to keep your books under a pseudonym (such as erotica, etc), making your name as recognizable as possible will only work in your favor.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

Most people - not all, though - in editor/publisher positions deal with thousands of books that sell and thousands that flop. A good amount are novelists themselves. Listening to their suggestions with an open mind is a really good idea.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

Holy christ. Major end of the year push out of nowhere - 76 copies last week. Anyone else see a massive increase from their normal sales? For reference, the week before I sold 36, and the week before I sold 27.

Really, really glad I bumped the price. Dunno if that had anything to do with it but w/e in theory I'll finally see a royalty check in two months!

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

If it makes you guys feel any better, I'm talking about erotica. My sci-fi short story still has sold just about jack poo poo.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

Humbaba posted:

How many erotica stories do you have listed?

Four. It would be five if not for Skyrim.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

One thing I have noticed with increased prices is increased refunds. Out of the 50 sales I've made this month so far, I have 3 refunds. I didn't have any with $0.99 prices.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

The thing is, people will pretty much download anything if it's free. I don't really see it as a good sign of sales or not, though the promotional aspect of it is nice for other works. The exclusivity is a no-go for me, though, unless I put together something specifically for Amazon...which I'm not crazy about. Something about shoving aside the other competitors just doesn't seem right. It's not like Amazon and I are friends - it's all business.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

I may be saying this as a father of two working full-time and taking college classes, but even still I can't imagine writing a short story once a week - and doing good cover art, proofreading...that seems to me like way too much for something once a week.

Also, don't feel bad about lackluster sales. One of my favorite shorts I wrote has sold less than ten copies. Just keep on trucking, you never know what the audience wants until you put it out there.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

You know, I'm starting to get annoyed with everyone Smashwords sends my stories to. It takes forever to get changes made, and I've barely seen heads of tales of profit from any of them.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

Here's some self-publish chat.

Am I just stupid, or is there some magical way of getting Amazon thumbnails of book covers to not look scrunched/pixelated as hell? They look fine at full size, but the thumbnail is just poo poo.

Are smaller originals better? Is there some magical file format that makes them not look tiny?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

You're way overthinking it. Thousands of books don't sell any copies at all regardless of price. All of my short stories (<10k words) have had increased sales since being raised from 0.99 to 2.99.* I think it all comes down to writing what makes you happy. If you have a good story to tell and it's novel length, write it and sell it for what you think it's worth (judging on industry standards as needed, of course). Same thing if you enjoy short stories.

If you start basing your writing with profit in mind, you run the chance of losing your focus on the story and writing an inferior piece.

*erotica, but still.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

Smashwords has the most infuriating system I've ever worked with, gotta say.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

And here's something from me not based on erotica! Buh-wuh!?

Wanted

quote:

A slave from a young age, Max Kananov does what her adoptive father tells her to do in order to survive…until a run-in with a corrupt police officer forces her to fight back. With the help of a young man named Colt, she manages to escape her father’s compound and try for a new life in their small town of Everett.

When the police officer is murdered in her old bedroom, however, she now faces the threat of recapture from both her father and the Everett Police Department. With Colt’s help, Max has to clear her name if she ever wants to win her freedom.

Amazon

Not Smashwords because I'm mad at their stupid formatting rules.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

workingdogv1 posted:

Pics broken. Try imgur.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

90% of my (rather decent) sales this month has come from one of my 5 short stories.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out why this bothers me.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

16-year-old makes 6200 in December from her e-books on Amazon.

gently caress.

I mean, good for her and all.

but gently caress.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

I've learned from recent experience that it usually sits on In Review from 5-6 hours, then it sits on Publishing from 6-8 hours.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

Speaking of free stuff, I'm testing out a free day with my book. So if you want to spend (no) money, go (not) buy it now!

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

It's amazing what happens to sales when you make something free. 3 sales in two weeks at $2.99...175 downloads in <12 hours at $0.00.

I'm the first to admit people will download anything if it's free but drat it's funny to actually experience it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

sounds rough, ollie

Impper posted:

Did you do anything to promote that your book was made free?

Other than posting here and on Facebook, no.

Up to 360 now.

«2 »