Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Volume 12 link here.

Despair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Good Vibrations

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
I can't see an ending where Aiko doesn't die. Is the next volume the last one?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

pinegala posted:

I can't see an ending where Aiko doesn't die. Is the next volume the last one?

Yes, volume 13 will be the last.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Well there go all my good vibrations.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I.. I can't. loving Punpun.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I can't imagine this not ending in tears.

Blind Marvin
Feb 13, 2012
In chapter 128, the guy Punpun attacks is wearing the exact same shirt as him. Anyone care to weigh in on the significance of that? Also, I Google searched Inio Asano looking for any decent Goodnight Punpun discussion (there isn't any) and the sidebar shows Asano wearing the same exact shirt!

Career
Mar 27, 2010
Weird. I noticed the same thing earlier today myself. It always tickles me when these authorial details add another level of nuance or explanation, e.g. Sachi as (among other things) an authorial standin felt true, but why would a male author represent himself in a female character? After Asano revealed a transsexual identity, there was that more to chew on in regard to the false-faced Sachi struggling between inner truth and the outward trappings of success.

Re: the can guy, I have to admit that I only looked at it on a surface level. He seemed like a classic double, which Asano telegraphs for us with the shirt. The other guy is very similar to the former Punpun: passive, focused on small grievances, inclined to make excuses, believing in justice or at least reciprocity. Nihilistic Punpun's anger is--how'd Wilde put it--the rage of Caliban at seeing his face in the glass. On the one hand, he's willing to kill to protect Aiko, but he also despises her (and his own) perceived weakness. When he says that there isn't one good person in the world, he doesn't except her.

That reminded me of Lot's conversation with God in the Bible, where God promised to spare Sodom if Lot could find even one righteous man (and he couldn't). Asano has certainly made Biblical call-outs before in the B-plot about the farcical cod-Christ. While I doubt it would be anything so pat, a satisfactory ending to me would have Punpun as a Christ figure and Toshiki's prophecy referring to an impending Last Judgment.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
What, no words of love for the "plot summary" in ch.122? :allears:

On a more serious note, I wonder if Aiko told the truth concerning the murder of her mother or if she simply made it all up to stop Punpun. I suppose Punpun doesn't really believe it, even if he seems to; after all, he's still in his "Black Spot Form", so he probably still considers himself a monster.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Carpator Diei posted:

What, no words of love for the "plot summary" in ch.122? :allears:

On a more serious note, I wonder if Aiko told the truth concerning the murder of her mother or if she simply made it all up to stop Punpun. I suppose Punpun doesn't really believe it, even if he seems to; after all, he's still in his "Black Spot Form", so he probably still considers himself a monster.

Didn't he revert when he was telling Aiko how much he enjoyed their trip?

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

pinegala posted:

Didn't he revert when he was telling Aiko how much he enjoyed their trip?

Yes, but only temporarily and already before Aiko's confession; at the end of the beach scene, he's back in Black Spot Mode (or as of now, Black-Spot-With-White-Square-In-The-Upper-Right-Area Mode). Considering that he first took on that form right after the murder (or what he thought to be the murder), I'm pretty sure he still blames himself for the whole thing, maybe indirectly.

edit: I checked the last few chapters again and noticed that Punpun's form DID change after the confession: He's still all black and murky, but he doesn't have horns anymore. Seems like I was mistaken: He doesn't view himself as a monstrosity anymore, although it's still a thoroughly negative image.

Uhm, do we still need spoiler tags? This page is steering into FBI Document territory...

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 5, 2013

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
I think I am going to end up becoming a black spot by the end of this.

Shimizu, please don't be dead.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

anyone else read the raws for the first few chapters of vol.13?

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
I just stumbled across the raws myself and holy poo poo. I don't know if I should be reading this without understanding the text...

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

You people are monsters.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Okay. I've caught up and I feel like I've ruined nothing for myself except two things because poo poo gets really weird as hell.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

it ended today. I am currently in an emotional mess. I can't put it into words...all I can say is:

Oyasumi Punpun.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Zackcat posted:

it ended today. I am currently in an emotional mess. I can't put it into words...all I can say is:

Oyasumi Punpun.

I don't know how I expected it to end. More depressing? Less?

I expected the final shot to be of Punpun's corpse after he went on a spree shooting or something.

..Oyasumi Punpun.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Anatharon posted:

I don't know how I expected it to end. More depressing? Less?

I expected the final shot to be of Punpun's corpse after he went on a spree shooting or something.

..Oyasumi Punpun.

I think it ended more or less perfectly. Anything more depressing than what we got would have ruined the tone.
Seriously, though. It was a masterpiece. Definitely one of the best works of fiction I've read that deals with depression.

Inio's next work is supposed to deal with gender issues, right? I'm really looking forward to that!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

OK!!

I'm #1 Strong Guy in USA!!

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

After conducting a thorough test with a team of scientists I have learned that if you binge read Oyasumi PunPun with Strangeways, Here I Come by The Smiths playing on loop you will probably just want to kill yourself. It didn't help that with my reading speed, all the bits where PunPun gets seriously wrecked over the thought of being alone or during the aunt loving, this song ended up playing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zackcat posted:

Oyasumi Punpun.

Is there somewhere you can read the scans?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there somewhere you can read the scans?

Here's the raws.

http://raw.senmanga.com/Oyasumi_Punpun/135/

I might take a crack at translating it if the people who usually do it are slow but I'm not particularly good at it.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

I couldn't stop myself. God damnit Punpun. I can't understand Japanese, but if some of those visual implications are actually how I took them then Jesus Christ.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about

Gonna binge it again before I read the last chapter. Must destroy myself fully.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

gobbledygoat posted:

Gonna binge it again before I read the last chapter. Must destroy myself fully.
This is my plan.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I need a translation of the final chapters soo baaddd

Also there seems to be a lot of sentiment (not all in this thread) about being shocked that punpun could ever murder someone, but when you read back through the manga there are a surprising number of references to murder and a desire to do so. They're very rare and start off as a childs extreme over reaction but the further along it goes the use of expressing that desire becomes slightly more frank and reads far more darkly, until boom.

I haven't read the raws and I don't plan to read them until it's all translated, but I predict that Aiko has a bad infection and will die. Punpun will probably kill himself to be with her. At this point, the only person I really feel bad for is Sachi.

By the way, the patch on punpun's eye. Did she really gouge it? I couldn't really tell.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

http://blackinque.imgur.com/ Here is everything translated. Can't sit here and watch y'all suffer.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about

Professor Latency posted:

http://blackinque.imgur.com/ Here is everything translated. Can't sit here and watch y'all suffer.

Couldn't help myself. That was the best possible outcome I coulda hoped for I guess. It felt happy in its own way.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Welp, that answers that. Oyasumi, Punpun.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Oh man. :( What a read.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Aiko poor Aiko, I wish it didn't have to end that way for you.

I think I'm more depressed this thing I've been following for 2-3 years is over than anything.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It is in a sense a happy ending. One not of great joy, of ecstatic feelings or astounding change, but a quiet calm, of peace.

Goodnight, Punpun.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Honestly I feel that was a pretty optimistic ending, especially compared to what I was expecting. I really loved Punpun's soliloquy toward the Aiko in his head... it showed how much he had grown. He's still depressed and probably always will be, but he's decided to face that and take life as it comes, one day at a time. I think anyone who's tangled with any level of depression can appreciate how brave that is of him. Life isn't perfect, but it goes on. I also like the bit at the end showing a new generation of kids experiencing the same stuff/acting in the same ways as little Punpun and his friends. Punpun's individual story is unique, but a lot of what he experienced is absolutely universal.

Although I'm happy with the conclusion of the story, there are a few things I'm still curious/confused about :

I felt like they kind of glossed over the culmination of the case with Aiko and her mom. Punpun says he got probated, but how long was he in jail? What did they charge him with? Where did Aiko's body go? How did you all feel about Aiko, anyway? How culpable was Punpun for what ultimately happened to her?

Who/what do you think Punpun's God was, in the end? What did it symbolize when he 'killed' him? And how do you feel all that stuff with the cult contributed to the narrative?

I know most of my questions don't and aren't supposed to have concrete answers, but I'd like to know people's thoughts on them anyway.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for stickying this because I would probably never have seen it otherwise. That OP completely sold me on all of those and I'll definitely read them when I have the time.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

dazat posted:

Honestly I feel that was a pretty optimistic ending, especially compared to what I was expecting. I really loved Punpun's soliloquy toward the Aiko in his head... it showed how much he had grown. He's still depressed and probably always will be, but he's decided to face that and take life as it comes, one day at a time. I think anyone who's tangled with any level of depression can appreciate how brave that is of him. Life isn't perfect, but it goes on. I also like the bit at the end showing a new generation of kids experiencing the same stuff/acting in the same ways as little Punpun and his friends. Punpun's individual story is unique, but a lot of what he experienced is absolutely universal.

Although I'm happy with the conclusion of the story, there are a few things I'm still curious/confused about :

I felt like they kind of glossed over the culmination of the case with Aiko and her mom. Punpun says he got probated, but how long was he in jail? What did they charge him with? Where did Aiko's body go? How did you all feel about Aiko, anyway? How culpable was Punpun for what ultimately happened to her?

Who/what do you think Punpun's God was, in the end? What did it symbolize when he 'killed' him? And how do you feel all that stuff with the cult contributed to the narrative?

I know most of my questions don't and aren't supposed to have concrete answers, but I'd like to know people's thoughts on them anyway.

it's hard to say about the nature of "god" or what the deal with the cult was, because of a few things. The first thing is Seki seeing the spaceship with the god of poop and the dead people in it. But Shimizu was in there too, though he didn't die, just..."died", if that makes sense. does that mean that stuff had been literal? IIRC, the god of poop also tried to tip Shimizu off about the explosion at the factory too. WHO KNOWS.

The cult seemed to be a tangent, but at the same time their prophesy thing did come true, with the fall of the one eyed daruma (punpun himself) and the star shower bringing the end of that punpun and the herald of a better man.

And as for the man with the glasses and the grin, I think he wasn't really a person but more a state of mind, an aspect of self. The devil on punpun's shoulder. He never had anything positive to say and only ever tried to egg him on into bad situations. He only ever really appeared in the dark or emerged from shadows, and if he ever did appear in a brightly lit manner it was because he was appearing in a dreamscape anyways. He was that little voice in punpun's head telling him to just give in, curl up and die, and though punpun rarely ever directly listened to him, when you reread the series you will notice that he always takes even just a little bit of what he says to heart and internalizes it. After years and years of doing that, along with the lovely world around him and the bad way he reacts to it (in part due to that internalisation) we end up with the man we end up with.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Thoughts on ending: After all that happened lately, I expected Punpun to crash and burn a lot more. After the murder, everything seemed to be pointing to VERY BAD THINGS happening: police on the trail, Aiko's deteriorating health, and Punpun becoming a monster. What we got seemed about as close as we could expect for a happy ending for him after all of that -- the very absence of a grand finale. (Any grand finale here probably would have resulted in the utter rock-bottom destruction of Punpun)

Instead what we have is moving on. Not much is really fixed, but Punpun gets to walk away from the trainwreck he had just been in. A little wiser, a little more mature, but the way he talks about his "mangaka friend" in the end shows us he is still Punpun. Even in a 'happy' ending, it's still not easy to walk away from that kind of depression.

It was a good ride, Punpun. :unsmith:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
I just hope that the kids don't have to go through the same things their parents did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
amazing series, quick question though because I'm confused:-

Was punpun the boy in school by the end or was he the sandals wearing boyfriend of the girl who waved back as a bird?

• Locked thread