Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This was great, thanks for linking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Pretty cool to see that Meiko's freckles were planned out so much, since I remember latching on to them pretty hard when I first read Solanin. She's just so average. :unsmith:

Anyways, that video is a pro-click for everyone that wants to hear :geno: NHK narration lady pronouncing Dead Dead Demons Dededededestruction.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYEh0AeRVlc#t=13m46s

Open it, bookmark it, listen to it once a day.

I would love to try out Inio Asano's approach to making backgrounds. It looks like a fun way to incorporate your art into your everyday life.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Volume 1

e: oh geez, that's huge. Leaving it because it looks rad as hell.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 4, 2015

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
but where do i click to buy

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Weird BIAS posted:

but where do i click to buy

Your local bookstore
http://www.amazon.com/Goodnight-Punpun-Vol-Inio-Asano/dp/1421586207

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
I am 100% on board with that cover.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Thanks for this, brightened my day.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

I have preordered everything possible and ordered all the books I didn't have. This is a nice feeling.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I almsot missed this! Thank you. I'd already seen the episode with Akiko Higashimura and now i hope there's even more to come with other manga artists i love.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
sure I will buy punpun again.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Dead Dead Demons has been updating again. There's 5 new chapters this month up on batoto.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/dead-dead-demons-dededededestruction-r11881/

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 17, 2016

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Those poor aliens. :(

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I've made the crazy choice of rereading Nijigahara Holograph high, on account of it being the Inio Asano series I remember the least. I even remember and love his short story collections more clearly, with Holograph for some reason I forgot most of what I read on my first read except for some scant details. I suspect it'll get awoken in the dark corridors of my brain as I'm reading through it, but for now it's just surreal excerpts.

such a great visual storyteller, I never realized how much alike a puzzle piece the well opening is

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 21, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I started reading Punpun like three years ago coincidentally when I was going through some super rough poo poo in my life and dropped off like five volumes in cause even though I loved it so much, I just couldn't do that anymore. I read Solanin in between then and now and definitely enjoyed it and decided to buy the English volume of Punpun and have been slowly making way through that and yep this is still some good poo poo. Looking forward to seeing it to the terrible, terrible end this time.

Super interested in checking out Nijigahara Holograph at some point and A Girl On The Shore if anyone really recommends that.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nijigahara Holograph is great, absolutely fantastic.

I bought, but haven't started Girl on the Shore yet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And if you're not reading Dead Dead Demon's Dedededestruction, you should get on that too.

Absolutely no clue where it's going to go from where it's currently at, but Bad Times are being had by all, so I'm sure it'll all end well for everyone involved and humanity won't be wiped off the face of the earth or anything!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

And if you're not reading Dead Dead Demon's Dedededestruction, you should get on that too.

Absolutely no clue where it's going to go from where it's currently at, but Bad Times are being had by all, so I'm sure it'll all end well for everyone involved and humanity won't be wiped off the face of the earth or anything!

Dedede actually starts out fairly upbeat too, but if you look closely at an early page it's pretty strongly foreshadowed that it's going to end up with bad times for everyone.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
From one to Cormac McCarthy, where is Oyasumi Punpun on the scale of soul-crushing bleakness? Because the US release looks incredible, but I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out that much money for something suicide-inducing.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've never actually read any McCarthy, but the last time I tried to read Punpun I didn't even get halfway through it and I cried like four times. God knows how much of it was due to my life situation at the time, but yikes, just a lot of "Yeah, Same Dude, I've Felt This Terrible Anxiety And Despair Before." The first English volume starts out slow and surreal, but for like $15, and $10 digital, it's easy to see if it's something you'll vibe with.

a kitten posted:

Nijigahara Holograph is great, absolutely fantastic.

I bought, but haven't started Girl on the Shore yet.
Sick, I'm really stoked to check that out. My only perspective on Asano's work is Sad Times, But Maybe Everything Will Be Okay, and him doing horror just sounds amazing. Same with A Girl On The Shore, sounds like a similar to Punpun/Solanin take, but I like the initial conceit.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I think I've managed to read all of Asano's work now. Pretty much all of them are really good but they also usually feel like journeys through soul-crushing misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Dedede actually starts out fairly upbeat too, but if you look closely at an early page it's pretty strongly foreshadowed that it's going to end up with bad times for everyone.

Snort

• Locked thread