Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Pham Nuwen posted:

I only know Maggi as the instant noodle with curry powder seasoning packet that my Indian wife loves.

(It's not actually that great, but nostalgia is a hell of a drug)

I think the thread is talking about this:

it's the flavour of my childhood....salt, msg, and a distinct...ehm...maggi flavour.

We had that in the house during my childhood,
my mom would cook and set the table,
my dad made sure the maggi flask was on the table.

He drowned pretty much everyting he ate in that stuff, god she hated that!

I used it on macaroni, and I currently do not own a flask.
(not a fan)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Biomute posted:

I've got a cast iron wok and it seems pretty smooth to me. Stir frying veggies works great, but meat coats the bottom with a layer of marinade/protein that burns to a crisp and keeps the rest of the food from getting any action. What am I doing wrong? Stirring too quickly after adding the meat? Not hot enough? Too much marinade?

I've never worked with a cast iron wok (only carbon steel), but yeah this typically happened at my ex-employer when the wok wasn't hot enough. It's pretty easy to avoid with a legitimate industrial wok burner but might be harder to avoid at home.

Another thing is that marinated meat typically didn't end up going into a dry (or even lightly oiled) wok. Usually, the meat was par-fried in the wok and then strained, with ~10-20% of the oil left in the wok to form a base for the aromatics or whatever. You would clean the meat bits off of the bottom with a bamboo brush while bringing the wok back up to temperature. Usually it went Oil -> Raw Meat -> Strain, stir in aromatics -> Mostly cooked meat/vegetables. There were a handful of dishes where raw meat went directly into the wok and all of them either had extra oil (about 3tbsp per 10oz of meat), intense heat, or some other compensating factor.

Even the fried rice/noodles guy, who had this problem more than anyone else, had a dedicated side-fryer set to ~300 with a bunch of little round handbaskets to do his meats in, because trying to keep up with pounds of rice and noodles going into your wok at volume is a nightmare. If your wok is hot enough to handle rice without coating the entire thing in a layer of burnt rice, it's probably too hot for tiny slices of meat or seafood. :)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Remember there's not really such a thing as too hot for a wok. I've seen plenty here in China that are literally glowing red when they put the food in, which the internet tells me means it's at least 900 degrees F. That's like a real pizza oven kind of temperature.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
even in Chinese it's called 燒紅 shao hong - roasted red

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

caberham posted:

even in Chinese it's called 燒紅 shao hong - roasted red

I did not know this, neat.

This is also why you should not spend more than $25 or so on a wok, that kind of abuse destroys them eventually. They aren't like a cast iron pan, if you can't stand the idea of throwing it out in a few years you're paying too much.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I love teflon. There I said it

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Enjoy your cancerous wok hei

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

caberham posted:

Maggi is god and works wonders for your fried eggs in the morning as well. It is the end all and be all of ingredients in commonwealth countries.
As a side note, German Maggi saucr is really the poo poo if you can get it. It seems incredibly concentrated, and a couple of drops seems to have the umami power of a teaspoon of my local North American stuff.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In my experience, people with Teflon coated woks don't stir fry. They boil meat in its own juices.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

In my experience, people with Teflon coated woks don't stir fry. They boil meat in its own juices.

gently caress I'm so busted

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
I saw a thing from Alton Brown where you use a charcoal chimney to fire the wok. Apparently you can get it super hot that way.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

gently caress I'm so busted

It's ok when you all you use it for is steaming bland seafood, Hong Kong. :shobon:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

It's ok when you all you use it for is steaming bland seafood, Hong Kong. :shobon:

:staredog:

Oh no you didn't! Your seafood is only flavourful when drenched in gutter oil and debris because it was all frozen poo poo to begin with.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's nothing wrong with frozen seafood. All seafood is flash frozen on the boat. Unless you're catching it yourself/buying it from a fisherman at the docks/getting it live, it was frozen.

If you're not buying live stuff it's actually best to buy it frozen since you can thaw it properly, instead of whatever they did to thaw the "fresh" seafood at the grocery store counter.

Also literally every grocery store here has numerous tanks full of live fish, I dunno where you got this idea that all the seafood in Sichuan is frozen. I see more fresh fish here than I did living right next to the ocean in Korea.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Apologies if this has been covered, but I don't recall seeing it up thread: Any recommendations for Taiwanese recipes (especially comfort food) or basic cook books?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Grand Fromage posted:

There's nothing wrong with frozen seafood. All seafood is flash frozen on the boat. Unless you're catching it yourself/buying it from a fisherman at the docks/getting it live, it was frozen.

If you're not buying live stuff it's actually best to buy it frozen since you can thaw it properly, instead of whatever they did to thaw the "fresh" seafood at the grocery store counter.

Also literally every grocery store here has numerous tanks full of live fish, I dunno where you got this idea that all the seafood in Sichuan is frozen. I see more fresh fish here than I did living right next to the ocean in Korea.

What IS unacceptable is the pre-cooked stuff. Made that mistake, once. Never again.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

:staredog:

Oh no you didn't! Your seafood is only flavourful when drenched in gutter oil and debris because it was all frozen poo poo to begin with.

You're just mad that we have food that's seared with a hot wok and smothered in chili garlic sauce while you gently titrate abalone farts into your clear broths for fear of tasting something.

caberham posted:

God loving damnit

Puked twice, food poisoning

4 seasons coffee shop seafood linguine

Lmfao

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 13, 2014

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Are there any "best" brands of doubanjiang? Since I already have gochujang, I've been using that when I make mapo tofu and it tastes great, but if there's a difference between that and doubanjiang, I'd like to try making it more authentic next time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I always get pixian doubanjiang but that's more of a "thing" than a brand I guess?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I always get pixian doubanjiang but that's more of a "thing" than a brand I guess?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah I use the same one.
This one:

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
Any recommendations for cooking with huy foods Sarah sauce? Do you guys add it right to the pan or add it as a toping only. I'm curious how it does in the pan but am scared it could runion the food if it cooks funny.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

caberham posted:

Please post a picture! I was just trash talking Boston's Sichuan Garden. I love to be wrong about Chinese food in America

Not worth posting a picture, sadly. It was reasonably good for what it was, but the best huiguorou I've had in the US (Famous Sichuan, NY China town) and in China (too many to mention, but Chen's Mapo Doufu comes to mind) all had similar characteristics. Pork belly cut similar to bacon, vegetables cut in a complimentary way similar to the pork belly, and spicy. Theirs was just celery, bell pepper, and belly cut about as thick as a pencil. I'll have to make it myself. I now have plan this weekend.

We also ordered some cumin chicken, which actually WAS loving good.

One thing I had in Shanghai that I was really unfamiliar with was this thin sliced beef, fried similar to how we do "country fried steak" in the Southern US, but tasted heavily of cumin. Any ideas what that was? We had it at Harvest Festival in Shanghai. Which is also where I had the dongporou. Their hongshaorou was different than any other hongshao I had, where as the dongporou was similar to most hongshaorou I've had. Their hongshaorou was one single large piece cut into thin slices with the meat almost having the texture of pulled pork.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yeah posted this earlier, Shanghainese love adding a lot more sugar and vinegar to their dishes so things are more saucy. Not so sure about the beef unless there's a picture though

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

caberham posted:

Yeah posted this earlier, Shanghainese love adding a lot more sugar and vinegar to their dishes so things are more saucy. Not so sure about the beef unless there's a picture though

Not all of Shanghai, just that one particular restaurant had hongshaorou that was different from everywhere else I've had it.

I can try to get a picture, but it looked like a thinner slice of chicken fried steak.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
This isn't really the right thread but it's the closest thing active right now. My wife has fallen in love with duk boki and I live next to a bangin' Korean grocery store so I can get fresh rice noodles. Now all I need is to know how to make the thing. Anybody have a recipe they love? I was thinking seafood + rice noodles with all the great ingredients that make that red sauce. So, yeah, what should I do?

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

There was a Korean food thread in GWS, you should be able to find it easily.

The following recipe was posted there, I've made it several times now and it's pretty good:

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/ddukbokkie

There isn't much seafood in the basic recipe, but you can add some if you like.
I also finish it with more seaweed, roasted sesame seeds and oil.
Ddukbokkie is awesome, gotta love that texture!

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

This isn't really the right thread but it's the closest thing active right now. My wife has fallen in love with duk boki and I live next to a bangin' Korean grocery store so I can get fresh rice noodles. Now all I need is to know how to make the thing. Anybody have a recipe they love? I was thinking seafood + rice noodles with all the great ingredients that make that red sauce. So, yeah, what should I do?

I don't know how to make it Korean style, but If you're asking for the Chinese way there's a lot of options. To start off you have to decide whether you want to make soup or stir-fry it. Then you decide between seafood, fish balls, meat balls, beef, chicken, pork, or cured meats as your protein. For vegetables I like using baby bok choy, carrots, shallots/red onions, and various mushrooms. For seasoning (stir-fry) I usually stick with light soy sauce (usually the one for fish dishes since it's a bit sweeter), salt, and oyster sauce (sometimes a little black vinegar if I want a kick). Don't season it too much; you want to be able to taste the flavor of the rice cakes.

edit: Oh yeah and green onion. Don't skimp out on those.

Kuhmondo fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 16, 2014

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

eine dose socken posted:

There was a Korean food thread in GWS, you should be able to find it easily.

The following recipe was posted there, I've made it several times now and it's pretty good:

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/ddukbokkie

There isn't much seafood in the basic recipe, but you can add some if you like.
I also finish it with more seaweed, roasted sesame seeds and oil.
Ddukbokkie is awesome, gotta love that texture!

For someone who knows zero about Koreans. Do they cook with a wok or is that a Chinese thing only?

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

shankerz posted:

For someone who knows zero about Koreans. Do they cook with a wok or is that a Chinese thing only?
Yes and no. I often see table cooked stews braised in a wok like dish, but for most stir fries and things, I see people using flat pans, and meat is often cooked on griddles.

Now, this is just a casual survey of Korean restaurants I remember being in, in Canada.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Here's the Korean food thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3591531

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I recently had some chicken and vegetables on dry rice. Threw some chili crisp Lao Gan Ma on the rice and some Maggi on the chicken and broccoli. I was pretty blown away by how big of a difference it made. I used to only use Lao Gan Ma's black beans and chili oil but the chili crisp is pretty amazing.

Anyway, moral of the story is to go buy a cheap whole rotisserie chicken from your local Kroger for less than 5 bucks, steam some frozen vegetables and rice, and throw that stuff on there for a really cheap, low effort meal.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
So while the local place mentioned last page was a disappointment, a girlfriend of the wife's came back from Memphis with some huiguorou that was decidedly better. Very large pieces of pork belly, still not thin cut though. Better (more "authentic") use of spices like bean paste and shaoxing wine.

This weekend I'm either going to try my hand at huiguorou or hungshaorou.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Is there any way to keep rice from sticking to the wok? It happens every time I make fried rice. Am I just not using enough oil?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Laocius posted:

Is there any way to keep rice from sticking to the wok? It happens every time I make fried rice. Am I just not using enough oil?

Leaving the rice hanging around in the fridge for a day or 2 will help for one thing.
I do something that works really well but I don't think is traditional in any way shape or form, anywhere. I mix some beaten egg into my rice before frying it so it's just coated a little and that helps the grains be nicely seperate and not sticky.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude
I wandered into a Chinese grocery store today just on a whim and I saw they had the "angry grandma" sauces that I've seen people talk about in this thread. There was a 2 for $3.50 deal so I got the chili oil with black bean sauce one and the chili oil with peanuts one. So what should I do with these sauces again? Can I just put them on rice or what?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Millow posted:

I wandered into a Chinese grocery store today just on a whim and I saw they had the "angry grandma" sauces that I've seen people talk about in this thread. There was a 2 for $3.50 deal so I got the chili oil with black bean sauce one and the chili oil with peanuts one. So what should I do with these sauces again? Can I just put them on rice or what?

(Sort of) joke answer: put it on everything.

Real answer: mix with some soy and black vinegar and dunk dumplings in it.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Laocius posted:

Another thing is the wok needs to be super-duper hot. When I lived in the states I had a hard time making good fried rice cause most burners in the west don't get hot enough.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Buy a nu wave induction cooker. The "sear" function gets very hot. It isn't a charcoal stack, but it is a lot more apartment-friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

Millow posted:

I mix a few spoonfuls of it and sometimes soy sauce into a big serving bowl of stir-fried veggies and serve w/ rice. It's not special but I like that it's reliable.