Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Slightly odd request, but I've had a recipe (I assume it's Chinese, but I can't remember for the life of me where it actually came from) in my notepad for years. Can anyone tell me what it is? All I know is that it's delicious.

Ginger/Anise Pork posted:

1lb Pork Shoulder/Belly, cubed, fat on.
6-8 Spring Onions
2-3 Inches Ginger, minced or finely chopped
3 Star Anise
3-4 Cloves Garlic, minced (or 1-2 tsp puree)
120ml Water
4 TB Brown Sugar
2 TB Rice Vinegar
2 TB Dark Soy Sauce
1 tsp Dried Chilli Flakes
2 TB Fish sauce (optional - can also use light soy or worcestershire sauce)

To Serve
Boiled Rice, Stir-fried greens (e.g. Bok Choi, Cabbage, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cucumber, Courgette).

Method
1. Preheat oven to 160C (Gas 3).
2. Fry the pork, spring onions, garlic, ginger and star anise until pork is well browned.
3. Mix the water, sugar, rice vinegar, dark soy, chilli flakes and fish sauce. Use this to deglaze the pan.
4. Put pan into oven, and cook for at least an hour, or until the pork is tender and falls apart when pressed with a fork.
5. Reduce the contents of the pan until the sauce reaches a ketchup-like consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
That's red braised pork but with an oven. How odd. Chinese people rarely have ovens in their homes.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

totalnewbie posted:

Went looking through the OP and noticed that beef noodle soup was missing. Everyone should learn to make beef noodle soup: http://imgur.com/a/9pWAb

This recipe loving rocks and is super easy, it should be in the OP. I am a huge pho lover and this hit the same spot for me. Thanks for posting it just in time for our non existent winter.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

bamhand posted:

That's red braised pork but with an oven. How odd. Chinese people rarely have ovens in their homes.

Thanks. I usually make it i on the stove (or in the pressure cooker), anyway. That's just the recipe I had saved. Glad it has a name now :D

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Mind sharing your pressure cooker technique for that recipe? I'd love to try it. I'm guessing it's just "brown as indicated and then cook until done" but I'm still new to the PC game, so would need to ask how long you think it generally should take. :)

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
1.5" (roughly, just try to make it uniform) cubed chunks should take about 25 minutes at pressure to break down the connective tissue, if you're using shoulder. Haven't PC'd belly yet and would probably start at 15 minutes and work up from there.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I went to a chinatown restaurant for the first time last week and it was rad even if the Chinese professor who brought us there was like "lol you white people can't handle the taste of real Chinese food" and then I ate all the sheep lung and Jew ear.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Guys, I need some food related expertise (Pm'd Caberham already, but he's probably gnawing on some german sausage right now or finding out what German beer hangover and Bierschiß means). I've bought some 小黄鱼 dried air bladders and wondered if anyone of you has seen them on the markets? For how much per 100g do they go?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Cold Noodle update!
This (http://www.ttmeishi.com/CaiPu/076ea38adc3ac625.htm) was closer to what I had in Taiwan, but not there yet.

That sauce was much thicker than what I had previous. The sesame paste was the right flavor profile but I think its down to texture/viscosity/overall flavor profile of the dish now. I wish the memory was more clearly ingrained so i could describe the differences better.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
A pretty long while back (2 years?), someone stuffed a tiny piece of meat in my mouth and told me to taste it.
It was awesome, flavourfull, chewy but lean, perfect.

I was told it was a piece of chicken stomach that was being prepared by a Chinese friend/relation at that moment.
The rest of the evening, I tried to get more information about the preparation of chicken stomachs out of her, but
we didn't speak each others language well enough to talk about hardly anything other than the weather, too bad...

At that time, I had never come across a place where they sold chicken stomachs anyway, so I rested my case.
But now, I can get these things from the market at least once a week, and I would like to learn how to prepare
them well. I understood that the cleaning/rinsing takes some serious time?

If anyone has a good recipe, please tell me about it and please start with the basics, I'm a chicken stomach dummie!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Do you mean gizzard? I've never heard of chicken stomachs. I like gizzards stir fried with ginger, scallions, garlic, and peppers. They end up being very chewy though. You can toss them in a pressure or slow cooker with a spice pack (you can find premade ones) if you prefer something more tender. If you want to do your own spices dried chilies, peppercorns, soy sauce, cinnamon, star anise, wine, and ginger is a pretty standard mix.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Cold Noodle update!
This (http://www.ttmeishi.com/CaiPu/076ea38adc3ac625.htm) was closer to what I had in Taiwan, but not there yet.

That sauce was much thicker than what I had previous. The sesame paste was the right flavor profile but I think its down to texture/viscosity/overall flavor profile of the dish now. I wish the memory was more clearly ingrained so i could describe the differences better.

Man, trying to emulate cold noodles that I have in restaurants around the place is always a case of 'pretty close but not the same' no matter how much I alter it. Theres this local place with god awful terrible service in Sydney but is cheap and delicious that does dan dan mian and I have been trying to get it down pat but just can't.

I am also moving to the Chinese suburb of the city this weekend, very excited to be able to walk 2 blocks to grocers.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Anyone have any luck finding somewhere to order facing heaven chilis online? I'm sure I could find some if I scoured chinatown but :effort:, I keep making my chili oil out of a mix of sanaam, tien tsin, and korean pepper flakes.

EVG posted:

I had mapo tofu for the first time from a cheapy little american-chinese restaurant, and loved it.

So, I was excited to have it from a local very authentic sichaun restaurant - and it was much like you described. I don't think I even finished it, which is a travesty because Chinese Leftovers are amazing. So no, it's not just you. :)

This might be a taste thing, the first time I had it was from a Chinese takeout place known for good Sichuan food and my face went numb and it was glorious.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

bamhand posted:

Do you mean gizzard? I've never heard of chicken stomachs. I like gizzards stir fried with ginger, scallions, garlic, and peppers. They end up being very chewy though. You can toss them in a pressure or slow cooker with a spice pack (you can find premade ones) if you prefer something more tender. If you want to do your own spices dried chilies, peppercorns, soy sauce, cinnamon, star anise, wine, and ginger is a pretty standard mix.

Nope, I'm talking actual stomachs :-)
Your flavour profile sounds close though. I just need to know how to handle chicken stomachs best.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Big Willy Style posted:

Man, trying to emulate cold noodles that I have in restaurants around the place is always a case of 'pretty close but not the same' no matter how much I alter it. Theres this local place with god awful terrible service in Sydney but is cheap and delicious that does dan dan mian and I have been trying to get it down pat but just can't.

I am also moving to the Chinese suburb of the city this weekend, very excited to be able to walk 2 blocks to grocers.

I can understand that.

Upon reflecting, the sauce as made had the viscosity of honey/gear oil while the noodle place was much more watery.

The Asian sesame paste is very very very very hard to stir and mix.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Marinated some flank in Lao Gan Ma Crisp.

That stuff is good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm trying to make the most of my tiny fridge. Does any variety of laoganma need to be refrigerated? What's the shelf life difference like between fridge and not?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
I've had my current jar of laoganma for a few months now and I've just kept it in the pantry. It's still delicious and fine.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
The crispy chili is in my cupboard next to the jars of sambal,
I don't see how that could go bad? It's pretty much the same stuff and I've kept some of my less frequently used sambals for several years without it going bad and/or tasting any different.
My other lao gan ma jars are in the fridge (out of habit and because I lack space outside of the fridge), but that's probably not necessary either, just have no experience with it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I figured the chili crisp is fine, but I don't know what all is in the other kinds and if they'd be different. My instinct is they're all okay at room temp but like I have one that has meat as one of the characters, and I don't know if there's actually meat in it or what?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I was looking at a local shop that had 4 types with english labels on it. One had pork in it and the other I think chicken or beef. The other two were just chilli oil and soya bean.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 7, 2015

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I figured the chili crisp is fine, but I don't know what all is in the other kinds and if they'd be different. My instinct is they're all okay at room temp but like I have one that has meat as one of the characters, and I don't know if there's actually meat in it or what?

Definitely meat on some of them.

I went through the better part of a jar of chilliw crisp last week... It was a good week.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Friend of mine is headed out to Beijing next month to visit family and has graciously offered to bring me back goodies, as long as they can get through customs.

What do I want, thread?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I'm trying to decide if I want to buy some preserved cabbage to try. Is it like non spicy kimchi and if I cook with it will it stink up the house?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Shnooks posted:

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy some preserved cabbage to try. Is it like non spicy kimchi and if I cook with it will it stink up the house?

The kind that comes in the foil pouches? It's preserved mustard greens I think. Or the dried out kind? Mei gan cai?

I don't remember either of them stinking really.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Save me jeebus posted:

Friend of mine is headed out to Beijing next month to visit family and has graciously offered to bring me back goodies, as long as they can get through customs.

What do I want, thread?

Meat is out of the question.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
So, uh, does anyone know anything about the progress on the Wok Mon stove converter thing? Last post on the product's blog is from a long while ago. Just thought someone in this thread might know more. I was hoping it would be out soon as I think it would be more convenient than a standalone butane burner (afraid i'll knock the little standalone stove over while its on, or something).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
He keeps pushing the release date back every few months.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Note: We are in the final stages of product release but you may "Pre-Order" the WokMon Product now.
Estimated Shipping Date - Late July, 2015

As soon as it's a real product I am totally buying one and then also buying a gas burner because we are moving into a house with a shameful kitchen

Also related to this: my wok seriously needs to be reseasoned. I think the first time I did it was just on a gas stove burner so it was mediocre results anyway, but I only really know seasoning cast iron and that's best done in an oven or grill. I'm worried about my wood handles as the perpendicular one on the other side is already blown to hell from an incident where I stored it in an oven and my girlfriend went to reheat it and from constant wok hei flames.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 3, 2015

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Just put / get new a handle on it if it goes wrong. I don't imagine it's a tough/expensive job if they're wood not plastic.

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.
Anyone does any pickling themselves? I already make kimchi but would like to try Chinese pickled vegetables, particularly 'sour vegetables' like this http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%B3%A1%E8%8F%9C#/media/File:Paocai.jpg

Any recipes would be welcome.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

themongol posted:

Anyone does any pickling themselves? I already make kimchi but would like to try Chinese pickled vegetables, particularly 'sour vegetables' like this http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%B3%A1%E8%8F%9C#/media/File:Paocai.jpg

Any recipes would be welcome.

Not sure about Chinese pickles but generally I do 50g of salt per liter of water and then drain off the liquid on top of the Greek yogurt I always have in the refrigerator into the brine to start a fermentation pickle, after that its just a matter of picking a vegetable and adding extra flavors as desired. Recently started using fermentation locks to make everything easier and more sanitary but I've done it a bunch of times without by just leaving the lid unsecured.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
What do you guys like to do with salted duck eggs?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Phanatic posted:

There's only one correct answer.

Congee.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Good payload for model rockets.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Throw them out.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Phanatic posted:

3 egg spinach and egg drop soup (with both salted egg and normal egg).

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
I have some salt pork (salt-cured, non-smoked pork belly in slices) in my fridge, and the farmers' market near me sells bok choi this time of year. Any suggestions for a sauce to back up this combo, plus any other assorted summer veggies?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

My welding gloves that I use for grilling just don't protect my hands enough when I try to use a wok, often I have to resort to stiring rather then tossing food because I can't hold the wok long enough, anyone got any advice on gloves or better yet something I can wear under the welding gloves as a second layer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Jarmak posted:

My welding gloves that I use for grilling just don't protect my hands enough when I try to use a wok, often I have to resort to stiring rather then tossing food because I can't hold the wok long enough, anyone got any advice on gloves or better yet something I can wear under the welding gloves as a second layer?

I just wear oven mitts