Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panax
Aug 16, 2007

Sjurygg posted:

What you have here is essentially spaghetti with meat sauce. It is wildly popular in the North of China, and has also spread into Korea where it has turned into the national dish under the koreanized named of jjajangmyeong. I much prefer the Chinese original, though - the Korean version is way too "saucy" and is cut with sweet potatoes which I don't care for in this dish.

Great post, but I'm going to go on a bit of a derail and correct some things about the Korean version. It's called jjajangmyeon (no "g") and it traditionally does not have sweet potatoes.

There are a few differences from the Chinese version: the Korean recipe contains a larger volume of vegetables--mostly onions, but also squash and potatoes. Chunks of pork are used instead of ground meat, and the sauce is thickened a bit with starch. It's otherwise prepared in much the same way.

Definitely leads to a more velvety and saucy mouthfeel, as you say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panax
Aug 16, 2007

PorkFat posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by traditional, but everywhere I've had this dish (and I've had it a lot) in Korea had sweet potato in it. But yeah, onion is the dominant vegetable by far. The seafood version is my favorite but it's usually 7000krw as opposed to the vegetable version at <4000krw. What better food to fill your belly than a giant bowl of noodles for less than $4 plus banchan and all the water you can drink?

Traditional, as in the classic, comfort food version of jjajangmyeon. That's odd that you've always seen sweet potato in it, because I've actually never had it with sweet potato.

But I haven't been in Korea proper for a little less than 5 years so I could see that being a new fad (probably health-related to substitute sweet potatoes for regular taters) going around. Casual Korean cuisine is extremely susceptible to fads. Last time I was in Korea bul-jjajang (literally "fire" jjajangmyeon) was all the rage, basically it was jjm with what I have to assume is tiny amounts of pure capsaicin added to make it super blisteringly spicy even by Korean standards.