Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Is there a secret to making the batter/crust for orange/lemon/general tso's chicken stay crunchy? I have tried every recipe out there with flour and cornstarch in various degrees but nothing stays crunchy. They all turn spongy within 2 minutes of cooking. I know its possible because Panda Express has orange chicken sitting in a steamer all day, soaking in sauce and that stuff is thick like lacquer and crunchy when I buy it.

It's pretty simple, dredge your chicken in a little bit of egg wash and corn starch and then deep fry until crispy, then make the sauce and put the fried bits in the sauce. It should stay crispy and crunchy while you eat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Did you cut it up at all? We use pork shoulder(butt), and butcher it into strips that include some fat and some lean, which is then skewered and hung in a roasting rack in the oven, basting occasionally.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Finally, are there any recommendations for cuts of beef? Most Asian-style recipes I have seen call for flank steak, which is like $10 a pound where I live, and given the whole "poor college kid" thing, that really blows.

I've cooked on electric elements most of the time at home, and the key is to control the liquids in everything you stir fry. I've never heard of adding baking soda to tenderize the meat. I buy bottom round sirloin or ball tip. It's stupid how expensive flank steak has become.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
My dad's been cooking Chinese food for 40 years, his knees, wrists, thumbs, and hips are hosed. He's had arthroscopic surgery on both his wrists and his thumbs.

This is what we use on a single main wok:

We also have a larger wok that has a cluster of 3 of these that we use to cook rice, prep large amounts of meat, and deep fry.

I was cooking once and the pilot light went out, forgot to turn the gas all the way down and burned the poo poo out of my entire arm.

During a busy lunch hour, the mortar that surrounds the wok chimney will just glow cherry red.