Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...
My vegetarian relatives use the mushroom sauce as an alternative to the oyster sauce. I will describe the mushroom sauce as not as fragrant/pungent as the oyster sauce but it is the alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

ookuwagata posted:

The moon festival came and went, but does anyone know how to make the pastry dough for Cantonese mooncakes? All the recipes I seem to find are all home approximations more or less based on generic pie doughs. None of them use lye water which gives the dough its chewiness (like how lye water gives ramen noodles the same quality).

My mom used to make mooncakes and they were a family event because they are quite labor intensive. I remember having to stir/knead/blend the lotus paste in her wok until my arms wanted to fall off. There are several Asian/Chinese books that will have the recipe and I found this from my trusty Malaysian recipe site:

http://kuali.com/recipes/view.aspx?r=524

The recipe sounds like what my mum used to do. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the ratios. However, on the syrup part, she insists (as do other chefs) that it needs to cured for at least 1 year before being used to make the skin. So, make it now for next year's batch.

I hope this was helpful. :)

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...
In addition to grinding them to be used in cooking, I also fry the whole peppers (Gravity84 is correct that the seeds come out but it is to much work for me) in oil until fragrant. Then I can either take them out and use the oil in whatever dish I was making or just continue with the peppers in there. The latter case, the entire dish will turn your tongue numb and the flavor is rather strong.

I have also made the Cold Sliced Meats recipe on Page 4. Highly recommend you try it out with the peppers.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

enigma74 posted:

Need some help here! How do I steam a good catfish? I bought an iced catfish from ranch 99 today and I put it in a two-layer steam pot, with a plate as support. I added some garlic and green onions to the mix and I crossed my fingers.

What I was hoping for was one of those steamed catfish you get from the chinese restaurants, with the really sweet soy sauce.

What I got was...indescribably fishy. I don't know why my catfish tasted like, really really fishy and the restaurant one tasted mild and sweet. Any suggestions?

The way my family steams fish that way is to splash rice wine onto the fish and rub in white pepper and ginger onto the fish (inside and out)before steaming. While steaming, mix the soy sauce, sugar and cooked oil together and pour over fish after the steaming is done.

You should get live catfish if possible. The problem with fresh water fish is that they get fishy fast after they die.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...
There is 100% Sweets Cafe on Clement that is pretty decent with their Snow Ice. Recently, I've taken a liking to Purple Kow for my boba. In Chinatown, Sweetheart Cafe does pretty good Hong
Kong style tea (they use condense milk).

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I found some Kam Yen Jan Chinese sausage and thought "hooray, now I can cook some things." At the store it was just on a shelf but when I got it home I noticed the packaging told me it should be refrigerated. All right, I put it in the fridge. Today I opened it to make some fried rice and it smells...fermented. Not like meat gone bad but like the time in college when I tried to make wine out of apple juice (properly) and it just smelled extra yeasty and acrid. Is Chinese sausage supposed to be really sharp smelling, from the description I expected sausage but even sweeter?

edit: I'll just assume they use some sort of extra-fermenty soy sauce when making this stuff, it tasted fine once cooked.

No, they should not smell fermented. They should be dry (maybe oily) and when opened, smell like... salted dried meat(?). I'm not how to describe the smell but it should not smell like chemicals, sulfur, ammonia, fermentation or mold.

I know it would be common sense to think, "Oh, dried preserved meat in vacuum packaging, it'll be ok at room temp." Those things should be kept in a cool dry place or for extra long storage, freezer works well.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

toplitzin posted:

I have issues with pork, what cut of beef/chicken would you recommend for subbing in Char Siu.

I'm thinking top sirloin or chicken thighs.

How about beef short ribs (like in the Korean style)? Nice balance of fat and meat.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...
That looks like Chinese mustard (Gai Choy). You can either stir fry or braise it in dishes with meat. The stem needs some extra time to cook compared to the leaves, so keep that in mind. The stem has a funny mustard-dy flavor that some people do not like. In order to mask that, you can cook it into some sort of spicy sour compilation.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...
Yu choy is really good in a brothy soups. Quick sautee some garlic, giner and get some chicken stock, toss in some fishballs or meat, tomatoes and the stalks of the veggie first. Once that is almost tender, turn off the heat and dump the leaves in. You can also do wonton soup.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

You get what is basically a ramekin half filled with rice (that has a crispy almost fried texture on the outside reminiscent of tahdiq) and topped with what I believe to be julienned bamboo shoot and thinly sliced onion. Very very very flavorful and definitely not a soup. We go back to this restaurant specifically for their Hot Pot (and a very spicy and ginger heavy variant of Pho that I am in love with).

I'm familiar with variations of this as " ____ clay pot rice" with "chicken clay pot rice" being the most common. The most important bit is having your own clay pot and be familiar with its quirks (mine heats unevenly for example -_-" ). http://rasamalaysia.com/claypot-chicken-rice-recipe/

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

squigadoo posted:

Could someone please break down how to handle fresh rice noodles for soup and for frying? My family tells me conflicting information on how to separate the noodles and not make them stick. I also remember that none of them are capable of making chow fun without breaking the noodles.

Did you make sure they are soft when you buy them? Gently push down on the noodles, the softer they are, the fresher and easier to pull apart. I usually buy a pack when it's fresh, bring them home, separate the strands of noodles and then I can refrigerate them if I'm not using straight away. Also, using high heat with a non-stick wok helps alot without having to resort to a lot of oil.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

GrAviTy84 posted:

high heat + nonstick is a really bad combination. Teflon starts to break down 392 F which isn't very hot at all. And PTFE/PFOA is really really really bad for you. Just put a bit more oil and use a carbon steel wok.

Ah my mistake. My non-sticks are anodized surfaces. I had assumed all these time that Teflon has been eliminated from our cookware. Come to think of it, my mom has been cooking high heat with Teflon/non-stick since I was a kid. "Less oil = healthy":ohdear:

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

Shnooks posted:

I've been looking for youtiao for a while now and I think I might be looking in the wrong place. Is that something you pick up at a bakery or at the market?

They also have them in the frozen section. All you do is pop them in the oven to be baked up. It is definitely not as good as fresh ones but they are convenient for bak kut teh and porridges/congee.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

hallo spacedog posted:

Use it in fried rice for extra deliciousness.

Make sure to fry it first like bacon.

Or just stick some cut up pieces with the rice in the rice cooker if you are feeling very lazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

Xun posted:

Yeah it's boring old Jasmine rice and I always make sure to wash the grains. The rice is usually perfectly acceptable but sticky. Ugh it's probably the rice cooker, too bad my parents like rice that way.

What rice cooker do you have? The fancy kind these days do a pretty good job.