Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Gaming's own socially aware and culturally controversial darling deserves its own thread!

Since this thread will undoubtedly result in talk of violence and sex in the industry, I point you guys to here if you want to discuss such topics so the thread doesn't go too off track.

Grand Theft Auto? Never heard of it!

Unless you've been living under a rock, you've probably played a GTA game. Grand Theft Auto is a gaming series developed by Rockstar Games. The original intent of the games is to jack cars, take them out for a spin, run people over with them, and find new and creative ways to kill people. With game design aims like these, this makes the games typically arcade-y in nature with the exception of IV, which is often seen as the black sheep of the series.

The games have since evolved past that, but the core formula, that being a jack of all trades who steals vehicles, murders, and buys weapons to kill even more people has stayed intact. Gang warfare is another big proponent of the formula, with most games in the series having gang wars between rival factions. In GTA2 for instance, the main storytelling device are the various gangs you can join, betray, and even go to war with resulting in different mission offerings for each gang and who wants to feed you to the fishes.

The games have since evolved to include story lines, multiple characters, dozens of minigames, ridiculous amounts of licensed music and fake talk radio, and more social commentary that most games wouldn't be able to compete with.

Just why are these games so popular then? They seem so juvenile!

If you can name all the games out there that let me blow up cities and the feds with tanks while jamming to Michael Jackson, please name them.

The past and present

The original games were like this:

GTA1, 2, London, and Chinatown Wars have this perspective. Combat and driving tend to be more simplistic, but this only allows the more arcade nature be embraced in full.

Most modern games are like this:

GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas, their various spinoffs, IV and its expansions are all third person, feature immense story lines, tons of odd jobs and side jobs, and tend to be more content heavy than their 2d counterparts.

Not pictured: overwrought dialogue and characters who yammer about nothing for five minutes and floaty physics and controls that make playing any other game flat out weird.

The Future

GTAV was unveiled November 2, 2011!

The trailer can be found here.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catpowerd
Jan 9, 2008

swinging your guitar around
Cause they wanted to hear that meow
Wow I had no idea GTA5 was coming out so soon.

Himuro posted:

Finally Take Two is also looking for someone in the 10-15-year-old bracket to play "a young, fast-talking boy fighting for the right of young boys to drink alcohol and have sex."

Parents are going to be thrilled.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
The character descriptions sound like GTA3 trilogy-esque.

I'm expecting it to be the total opposite of IV.

I hope the result is better than what Gay Tony did, though. Gay Tony was weird for me. It tried to be funny and cartoony, but it never really clicked. It felt like a bunch of random dudes doing stupid poo poo, while containing the "realism" of IV.

Luis co-owns the biggest nightclub in Liberty City. Unlike other GTA main characters he's not poor, he's not in desperate need for cash, he starts off with a high end apartment in GTAIV's Manhattan equivalent and yet he's pushing drugs for people, stealing diamonds for his gay boss and jacking army helicopters for his rich middle eastern friends. It just made no sense.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Himuro posted:

The character descriptions sound like GTA3 trilogy-esque.

I'm expecting it to be the total opposite of IV.

I hope the result is better than what Gay Tony did, though. Gay Tony was weird for me. It tried to be funny and cartoony, but it never really clicked. It felt like a bunch of random dudes doing stupid poo poo, while containing the "realism" of IV.

Luis co-owns the biggest nightclub in Liberty City. Unlike other GTA main characters he's not poor, he's not in desperate need for cash, he starts off with a high end apartment in GTAIV's Manhattan equivalent and yet he's pushing drugs for people, stealing diamonds for his gay boss and jacking army helicopters for his rich middle eastern friends. It just made no sense.

This makes me wonder how they're planning on handling GTAV as far as the storyline; injecting too much realism into the plotline sort of takes away from the ridiculousness that's inherent in sandbox games.

You had a sort of "test-run" in GTA3 with a silent protagonist and cartoonish, fairly simplistic personalities in the supporting characters. Makes sense, since 3 was the first move to the 3D, street-level sandbox world. Vice City paid homage to movies like Scarface and Carlito's Way, which are fairly over-the-top to begin with. San Andreas had some pretty great mechanics (your mileage may vary on maintaining CJ's physiology) but the attempt to veer CJ into "reluctant hero" territory didn't work so well. As has been said over and over again, what did Tenpenny really have to hang over CJ's head? You can't frame the protagonist for the death of a single officer when he's blown away multitudes of gangbangers, cops, and SWAT teams over the course of his missions.

GTAIV was a pretty bold move at trying to go deeper with the story, but a lot of backlash came from the somewhat glacial pace of the narrative in comparison with the insanity inherent in such a detailed game world. Want to go start a massive gunfight with the police? Sounds like fun, but hopefully your reputation with Jacob isn't too low, otherwise he won't sell you guns out of the trunk of his car anymore. Time to call him up and go shoot pool. In that context, going on a rampage just doesn't seem like it makes sense in the atmosphere of the game.

Since the Saints' Row games were mentioned, Saints' Row 2 exists in such an over-the-top universe and the Boss is such a remorseless psychopath that jumping into the game and obliterating everything in your path wearing a Borat-style swimsuit, top hat, stripper stilettos and sunglasses is actually par for the course.

GTA:Chinatown Stories got back to the lackadaisical ridiculousness of the old GTA games and was that much better for it. The protagonist provides constant commentary on how absolutely ridiculous the people around him are and it sounds like a bit of a self-aware burn on attempts at more serious narrative. We'll see if 5 will take itself a little less seriously.

vv It really is an awesome game, moreso because my first GTA was II. I give huge credit to Nintendo for breaking outside of their usual mold and taking a chance with it.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 5, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Gosh I love Chinatown Wars so loving much.

Drug Wars should be an odd job in every future GTA.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 5, 2011

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
I'm playing through vanilla GTA4 now, and I forgot that for all the faults people harp on about these games, they're just fun to play. The story is engaging and the car chases are hectic and fun.

I hope that Saints Row 3 and GTA 5 are both great games. I like to think that they'll push each other to greatness.

Gonna go blow up some more trucks now.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Speak of the devil.

http://twitter.com/jimreilly/status/55037606467088384

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
I wouldn't even know how to.

GTA V YAY!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Holy Cheese posted:

I wouldn't even know how to.

GTA V YAY!

By playing GTA you can channel your inner satanist.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Himuro posted:

Gosh I love Chinatown Wars so loving much.

Drug Wars should be an odd job in every future GTA.

Also the property buying system from Vice City Stories.

I think San Andreas is still the gold standard of the series but Vice City is by far my favorite setting. I still listen to the radio stations from both VC games, it's super easy to rip if you have the PS2 discs.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Speaking of Vice City Stories, Vic Vance may be my least favourite GTA protagonist, since VCS has the biggest discrepancy between how the character is in cutscenes and in gameplay. "I'm no killer!" *murders 20 rednecks*

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
GTA4 was a necessary evolution in the series, but it had to take it easy on the content which left alot to be desired. Thankfully the rear end in a top hat physics were so addictive that you could keep yourself entertained just by pushing people around and be a giant douche.

After the 2 expansions and Red Dead Redemption, R* have a better handle on the engine and can hopefully pack in more into the gameworld, But i would settle for more treasure hunt style sidequests.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I know Rockstar tends to frown on re-releases and remakes but I'm hoping they put out a GTA3 10th anniversary release on psn and xbl. You can't play GTA3, VC or SA on your ps3 these days unless you have a 20 or 60 gig. It'd be easy money.

Not asking for a huge graphical face lift, but an visual upgrade and modern Saints Row like aiming system would go really far I think.

It's pretty much the game that put them on the map, so I can't see them ignoring GTA3 this year.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You guys have sold me on Chinatown Wars. Guess I'll pick it up for PSP.

I loved Vice City to pieces, yet it took me five years to finally complete. I was just stuck on a few missions where I couldn't seem to make the limited character controls/movement work.

I played through probably most of San Andreas before I basically lost my save. I had the DVD copy, yet the drat game crashed over and over again. I eventually got it cheap on Steam, yet my old save wasn't compatible. I figured I'd rather start over than put up with the lovely stability. I blame Securom. I do plan on going back to it eventually. I loved it, and the gameplay/character movement was just so much better than Vice City. Climbing fences, swimming instead of insta-water-death, etc.

I've now been working through GTA IV slowly on and off. It took me a while to get into but I learned to enjoy it by ignoring your loving friends. Hopefully it doesn't bite me later. It also didn't help that the PC version was unplayable on my system until a major patch a year or two later. I'd had it on PS3 but traded it in when I found a PC version was coming out, since Vice City and San Andreas had otherwise performed great.

So is there any purpose to the heaps and heaps of cash you earn in GTA IV? I must be most of the way through by now and don't really have much to spend it on beyond the occasional body armour and ammunition.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

You guys have sold me on Chinatown Wars. Guess I'll pick it up for PSP.

I loved Vice City to pieces, yet it took me five years to finally complete. I was just stuck on a few missions where I couldn't seem to make the limited character controls/movement work.

I played through probably most of San Andreas before I basically lost my save. I had the DVD copy, yet the drat game crashed over and over again. I eventually got it cheap on Steam, yet my old save wasn't compatible. I figured I'd rather start over than put up with the lovely stability. I blame Securom. I do plan on going back to it eventually. I loved it, and the gameplay/character movement was just so much better than Vice City. Climbing fences, swimming instead of insta-water-death, etc.

I've now been working through GTA IV slowly on and off. It took me a while to get into but I learned to enjoy it by ignoring your loving friends. Hopefully it doesn't bite me later. It also didn't help that the PC version was unplayable on my system until a major patch a year or two later. I'd had it on PS3 but traded it in when I found a PC version was coming out, since Vice City and San Andreas had otherwise performed great.

So is there any purpose to the heaps and heaps of cash you earn in GTA IV? I must be most of the way through by now and don't really have much to spend it on beyond the occasional body armour and ammunition.

Guns, lots and lots of guns and explosives. If you haven't got a six star and survived then I turn my nose up at you and spit. Shame I was against the wind hey.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I just hope that Rockstar learns from their mistakes in GTA4. It was so great going from GTA3 to Vice City to San Andreas and each time going "Wow, they actually put in most of the stuff that the previous game made me dream of" and then GTA4 had almost nothing interesting to do and a terribly boring world and lovely characters. It's still a really good game and the physics and UI are fantastic but it doesn't hold a candle to San Andreas in terms of game design. Bring back tractor trains!

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Vice City was the best, I loved the atmosphere and the soundtrack/radio was amazing. I totally got behind murdering everyone to create your drug empire.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone know where to get Gay Tony PC for cheap?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Goddamn Hippy posted:

After the 2 expansions and Red Dead Redemption, R* have a better handle on the engine and can hopefully pack in more into the gameworld, But i would settle for more treasure hunt style sidequests.

Make John Marsden the PC in GTA5. Use the same model, voice, and personality but give him new clothes (keep the hat).

He was the perfect blend of self referential humor, relucant heroism and badassery.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Dr Snofeld posted:

Speaking of Vice City Stories, Vic Vance may be my least favourite GTA protagonist, since VCS has the biggest discrepancy between how the character is in cutscenes and in gameplay. "I'm no killer!" *murders 20 rednecks*

Niko was pretty similar, and CJ's plot was generally pretty stupid. The sort of vaguely humourous psychopath embodied by Tommy Vercetti works better in a world where you can do anything.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

kri kri posted:

It occasionally rolls around in a steam sale for absolutely loving nothing.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

K8.0 posted:

I just hope that Rockstar learns from their mistakes in GTA4. It was so great going from GTA3 to Vice City to San Andreas and each time going "Wow, they actually put in most of the stuff that the previous game made me dream of" and then GTA4 had almost nothing interesting to do and a terribly boring world and lovely characters. It's still a really good game and the physics and UI are fantastic but it doesn't hold a candle to San Andreas in terms of game design. Bring back tractor trains!
I think we'll just see something like what happened in the last GTA generation.

GTA3 ran a little choppy when it came out, GTA3:VC ran a lot smoother while adding more content and GTA3:SA expanded on that even more.

Then they made GTA4 on a new engine and had to start over, just like GTA3. The next full game will hopefully run a lot better and add more content.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Vice City will always be my favourite because it was the only game where I could use the handbrake on the Cheetah to perfectly drift around corners.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Vice City will always be my favourite because it was the only game where I could use the handbrake on the Cheetah to perfectly drift around corners.

Yeah I became a master of beautiful handbrake turns in a variety of the cars because I played that game so much.

Is it really sad and fanboyish of me to just want GTA V to essentially be a remake of Vice City on the new engine? (yes).

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Crackerman posted:

Yeah I became a master of beautiful handbrake turns in a variety of the cars because I played that game so much.

Is it really sad and fanboyish of me to just want GTA V to essentially be a remake of Vice City on the new engine? (yes).

You wouldn't be alone, that's for sure.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Vice City and Vice City Stories rule because of the killer soundtrack. They had more songs that I'd actually listen to than the other games, where I'd keep that dial on a classic rock station or something. It didn't hurt that playing Vice City was like playing a weird Scarface/Miami Vice mash-up, what with the mansion and Phillip Michael Thomas. And yeah, Tommy's character actually matched up to all the crazy poo poo you can make him do.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

GTA4 was an interesting attempt at something new and deeper, and arguably more intelligent. Because of that, I can't hate it. On the other hand, I can say that I objectively like Saints Row 2 more for focusing of the less realistic aspects of GTA. If Saints Row expands down that route while GTA masters the realistic "poetic struggle of a hustler" story, I would be very happy.

Oh and Chinatown Wars was goddamn awesome. Having it as an iOS game was a great move and I hope it was successful enough for them to consider doing another game like that.

Edit:vvvv no game has ever captured that feeling of exploration and openness for me. Zooming through the wilderness up a mountain and through some hick town...

Well, maybe Just Cause 2.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 5, 2011

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

San Andreas was my favorite because I loved riding the motocross bike around the hills in the south part of San Fierro territory. Maybe that's why I liked RDR so much. It also had a ton of cool planes and huge jumps. GTA IV was a disappointment because of how many features and the general freedom from SA were removed.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate
I just bought the GTA classics pack on steam last night, what a coincidence.

$29.99 for :

GTA 1
GTA 2
GTA 3 Liberty City
Vice City
San Andreas.

It was worth it imo, even though Im finding it hard as hell to steer cars with WASD, used to play these all on consoles.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

kri kri posted:

Nominating for subtitle.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Dr Snofeld posted:

The absolute best storyline in VCS was Phil Collins playing himself. It was pretty rad of him to do that.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is there a mod manager for PC? I am looking to just gently caress around in vanilla for a bit.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

kri kri posted:

Is there a mod manager for PC? I am looking to just gently caress around in vanilla for a bit.

What kind of mods do you want to manage?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Hoodrich posted:

Nominating for subtitle.

Haha, that's a good one.

Grand Theft Auto Megathread: Where Can I Get Gay Tony For Cheap?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

What kind of mods do you want to manage?

Graphics improvements, cars, I dont know.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

teethgrinder posted:

I've now been working through GTA IV slowly on and off. It took me a while to get into but I learned to enjoy it by ignoring your loving friends.

I love how they progressed from friends being such an integral part of gameplay in GTA IV, to being an optional annoyance in Lost and Damned, to all but dropping it altogether in Ballad of Gay Tony. BoGT gives you exactly one pair of friends, and they hardly ever call you. It's like it took Rockstar three games to realize what a lovely idea the "friends" system was, and yet they kept clinging to it.

I was actually hoping that in Lost and Damned you'd, you know, not even have a cell phone since you're a loving biker. But nope it's still there, it's just not ringing every five minutes from Dwayne talking about killing himself again.

That all aside, I enjoyed the GTA IV saga. As boring and depressing as the vanilla game was, it was actually well-written. I just wish it was also fun to play.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Did GTAIV have a simultaneous PC and PS3/360 release?

I still haven't beat GTAIV because it just bores me. Is the last half of the game better than the first half?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

ijii posted:

I still haven't beat GTAIV because it just bores me. Is the last half of the game better than the first half?

Honestly get TLATD and Gay Tony and play those if you thought vanilla GTAIV was boring. They're both pretty short and tons of fun. Gay Tony is more like the crazier parts of the old GTA games and Lost and the Damned was just cool, I'd love it if they made a whole game about being in a bike gang.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

ijii posted:

No. PC came out over half a year later. They took their sweet time announcing it and wouldn't confirm it existing prior either. That said, the PC version wasn't playable for anyone without a brand new, overpowered computer for at least another year.

I could run Crysis on high settings, but screw trying to play GTA IV at a remotely acceptable frame rate with everything low. When I say "acceptable," I'm setting the bar very low, to say, 15-20fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

robot roll call posted:

Honestly get TLATD and Gay Tony and play those if you thought vanilla GTAIV was boring. They're both pretty short and tons of fun. Gay Tony is more like the crazier parts of the old GTA games and Lost and the Damned was just cool, I'd love it if they made a whole game about being in a bike gang.

I think TLAD is rather underappreciated. I think it had, in my opinion, the most affecting storyline in the GTA series and Billy Grey is one of the best voice-and-digitally-acted characters in gaming history.

• Locked thread