Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
TLAD was good, but I think it did its job too well in portraying how absurd the culture was. After the first few missions I was wondering why the hell I was wasting time with these losers, barely being paid and riding around in their precious little synchronized motorcycling events when there were other people to work for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

No. PC came out over half a year later. They took their sweet time announcing it and wouldn't confirm it existing prior either. That said, the PC version wasn't playable for anyone without a brand new, overpowered computer for at least another year.

I could run Crysis on high settings, but screw trying to play GTA IV at a remotely acceptable frame rate with everything low. When I say "acceptable," I'm setting the bar very low, to say, 15-20fps.

Being able to run Crysis versus GTA IV isn't an apples to apples comparison. Crysis is much more reliant on your GPU while GTA IV is heavily CPU dependent. GTA IV still wasn't very well optimized, though.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
TLAD is the best GTAIV.

Intense
Mar 23, 2011
Great games. I had GTA4 for the 360 originally but it got all hosed up somehow, so after hearing about all of the exclusive features the PC version had I bought that hoping to start again. And as I'm sure many people know by now, GTA4 is the most badly optimized thing ever, still I'm hoping that there is some sort of thing I can download which will allow me to dumb GTA4's graphics right the gently caress down so I can actually play it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Der Luftwaffle posted:

TLAD was good, but I think it did its job too well in portraying how absurd the culture was. After the first few missions I was wondering why the hell I was wasting time with these losers, barely being paid and riding around in their precious little synchronized motorcycling events when there were other people to work for.

Yeah, I haven't finished the game yet but it seems like what you said, it was all on purpose because the game is about the dissolution of a biker gang and the death of the "hard-living, freedom-loving" culture it represented. Liberty City is basically no place for a wild pack of Easy Riders any more, it's become a yuppie paradise where everything's expensive and the little guy can't get a break unless that little guy is a drug dealer or hired assassin or whatever, or if they have connections.

It becomes even more effective when you compare Johnny's story to Luis's. Luis thrives in Liberty City because he lucked into becoming partners with the city's most powerful nightclub mogul and socialite. Even Niko does better than Johnny, simply because he lucked into having a cousin who had dealings with really rich, really evil people.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

KFCB posted:

Being able to run Crysis versus GTA IV isn't an apples to apples comparison. Crysis is much more reliant on your GPU while GTA IV is heavily CPU dependent. GTA IV still wasn't very well optimized, though.
Well optimization is the crux of it, right? It's kind of lame for the developers to expect users to upgrade their CPU for one drat game when every single other PC game out there runs just fine for another 1.5 years afterwards.

My 2.66 GHz C2D 8800GT system is finally going to be overwhelmed by the upcoming wave of PC games in the next half year, but until now it's been fantastic and great value for almost four years* with the exception of GTA IV.

*I started with a 640 MB 8800 GTS, however soon traded my brother for his 512 MB 8800 GT when it wouldn't work with his motherboard for some obscure reason.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The series will never surprise me at being incredibly buggy. Most bugs are the fun kind if annoying.
Vice City will still be my favorite for having the best music and characters with personality (and dickhead) instead of saying gently caress you's and this'.

Instead of going into a rant I cut out, I hate that upcoming games basically force people to upgrade to quad-cores faster than they did to dual-cores.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Himuro posted:

Gosh I love Chinatown Wars so loving much.

Drug Wars should be an odd job in every future GTA.

I've been playing Chinatown Wars on and off on my best friends DS and it's an incredible game.

I think my favorite aspect of Chinatown Wars has been the drug trafficking. The ebb and flow of the drug trade has me more engrossed than the actual plot line itself. Even TBoGT fails to capture the same fun in its own narcotics related mini-missions.

Also the use of the stylus in the DS version absolutely hauls rear end. I've never played a game that used the touch screen in such imaginative ways.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 6, 2011

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

kri kri posted:

Graphics improvements, cars, I dont know.

I never tried any of the graphics improvements as my aging computer chokes on the normal game's level of detail and whatnot, but for managing cars your best bet is notepad++ and pastebin. You'll be using SparkIV to edit your vehicles.img file, and notepad++ is handy for editing handling.dat, vehicles.ide, and carcols.dat. Also it's suggested you back up those files _every_ time you mod in a new car. loving up the values in vehicles.ide can make a bad problem become a game stopper.

I think it's due to the way most modders release their stuff, there is nothing like... say, Fallout Mod Manager for GTA4 :\ There's a few managers kicking around, but nothing that will get along with every mod available.

Simple Native Trainer though is a really fun tool to screw around with :q:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

I never tried any of the graphics improvements as my aging computer chokes on the normal game's level of detail and whatnot, but for managing cars your best bet is notepad++ and pastebin. You'll be using SparkIV to edit your vehicles.img file, and notepad++ is handy for editing handling.dat, vehicles.ide, and carcols.dat. Also it's suggested you back up those files _every_ time you mod in a new car. loving up the values in vehicles.ide can make a bad problem become a game stopper.

I think it's due to the way most modders release their stuff, there is nothing like... say, Fallout Mod Manager for GTA4 :\ There's a few managers kicking around, but nothing that will get along with every mod available.

Simple Native Trainer though is a really fun tool to screw around with :q:

I tried a few cop car mods but couldn't get them to work as fully as I'd hoped so I've given up on vehicle replacement; instead I went and made the FIB Buffalo indestructible and super fast with nimble handling. Godddamn is it handy that game puts your cheat codes in your cell phone you only have to type them in once... If it weren't for that I'd probably end up making a bunch of trips to pick up that hidden Sultan RS, which would get boring fast.

I'd be glad to give you the handling.dat text line for it; it isn't specific for that one car and can be used to make any vehicle awesome. But if you pick a different car, yours won't be the only awesome one - any others in the game will be just as awesome as yours, so if it's common in traffic you'll be best advised to pick a different one. The great thing about using the FIB Buffalo for this is that it's super rare without the cheat code.

Just beware, if your computer isn't as powerful as mine you might end up driving so fast your computer can't keep up...

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 6, 2011

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Crackerman posted:

Is it really sad and fanboyish of me to just want GTA V to essentially be a remake of Vice City on the new engine? (yes).

Something like... this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H15lnSD2f5w

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Man, modding the car stats in GTA2 was insanely easy and fun. I liked making the cop cars explode at the drop of a hat, and also have crazy squirrely handling. Car chases were hilarious with that. Then you got to the mission where you have to drive one.

I played the GTA2 demo a hell of a lot when we got our first real computer. When I finally got tired of exploding after five minutes, hilarious though it was, I found a crack to remove the time limit and went to town. Then when I found the big box version on clearance at EB some years later I was a bit disappointed the announcer voice was different from the demo, but oh so glad I finally got to drive that tank.

Did anyone ever play much of the GTA2 multi? I finally got a chance to with a friend and it seemed like it had potential with the full six people.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

ChuckDHead posted:

Niko was pretty similar, and CJ's plot was generally pretty stupid. The sort of vaguely humourous psychopath embodied by Tommy Vercetti works better in a world where you can do anything.

My major issue with the GTA series is how the player characters make themselves out to be these moral people while the person controlling the game is always going to make those characters commit the most heinous acts of violence imaginable.

Remember how in GTA:SA cutscenes CJ would rant about drug dealers destroying the neighborhood and ruining the place he grew up, but if during gameplay you were running around without a car or a bike, you'd think nothing of killing somebody for their ride? Even though the character you were playing as would say stuff like "I need this poo poo you drive", I don't think anybody could really ignore the incongruence between the thoughts and actions the cutscene character portrayed and the behavior that the character the player controlled during gameplay displayed.

Basically, if the game that I'm going to be playing involves me stealing cars and killing a vast amount of people, please don't make my character conflicted when it comes to selling drugs, killing people for money or stealing cars. The person playing the game has already resigned to a completely immoral lifestyle in-game, don't try and make me believe that Niko or CJ are willing to kill 30 or 40 cops but then feel bad about getting revenge for a family member.

Vice City had it right; give me a person bent on becoming the ultimate crime boss, gently caress this morality crap. By the end of the game, I want to control criminal empires and crush those that even dare question my methods, not go back to the lovely neighborhood I grew up in.

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
By the looks of it GTAV might be going back to an LA type setting. Hopefully they'll throw in some goddamn scenery this time. San Andreas had it right.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

Nosaj posted:

I just bought the GTA classics pack on steam last night, what a coincidence.

$29.99 for :

GTA 1
GTA 2
GTA 3 Liberty City
Vice City
San Andreas.

It was worth it imo, even though Im finding it hard as hell to steer cars with WASD, used to play these all on consoles.

All amazing games, far better than GTA 4, that's for sure.
Although this might be me being butthurt my PC is a piece of poo poo and can't play it decently.

Intense posted:

still I'm hoping that there is some sort of thing I can download which will allow me to dumb GTA4's graphics right the gently caress down so I can actually play it.

If this sort of thing exists, I'd like it too.

SGRaaize fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 6, 2011

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I still remember a good friend of mine from middle school introducing me to the first Grand Theft Auto on the first PlayStation. We would just take turns for hours and hours causing as much mayhem as we could while seeing who could evade arrest the longest.

Then later on, I would buy GTA2 for the PS1, which I really love. I would go as far to say it's my favorite in the series, but then again, from GTA III onward, I didn't really try to go through the missions and the storyline and would just goof off constantly. GTA III is also the reason I finally got a PlayStation 2.

Good times.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Tumble posted:

My major issue with the GTA series is how the player characters make themselves out to be these moral people while the person controlling the game is always going to make those characters commit the most heinous acts of violence imaginable.

Remember how in GTA:SA cutscenes CJ would rant about drug dealers destroying the neighborhood and ruining the place he grew up, but if during gameplay you were running around without a car or a bike, you'd think nothing of killing somebody for their ride? Even though the character you were playing as would say stuff like "I need this poo poo you drive", I don't think anybody could really ignore the incongruence between the thoughts and actions the cutscene character portrayed and the behavior that the character the player controlled during gameplay displayed.

Basically, if the game that I'm going to be playing involves me stealing cars and killing a vast amount of people, please don't make my character conflicted when it comes to selling drugs, killing people for money or stealing cars. The person playing the game has already resigned to a completely immoral lifestyle in-game, don't try and make me believe that Niko or CJ are willing to kill 30 or 40 cops but then feel bad about getting revenge for a family member.

Vice City had it right; give me a person bent on becoming the ultimate crime boss, gently caress this morality crap. By the end of the game, I want to control criminal empires and crush those that even dare question my methods, not go back to the lovely neighborhood I grew up in.

This is actually exactly why I didn't like some of the newer GTAs. Sure, the gameplay was more or less the same, but the awkward attempt to tell a serious story just killed the games for me. I liked the games up to Vice City, because the combination of humor and off the wall violence just worked.
The latter games seemed to abandon much of the jokes and sillyness and tried to make me feel bad about a dude who would mow down old ladies just because.

I really hope that a GTA V is closer to Vice City than GTA IV. The soundtrack was fantastic in that one.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Convex posted:

Something like... this?

This is so glorious.

Tumble posted:

Agreed. I'd even be happy if they made the character mute again. I don't mind being a dude who betrays his bosses for a paycheck and essentially decimates every single gang in the city even if he doesn't talk. For this reason Claude actually remains my favorite GTA main next to Tommy. He has no emotional baggage and zero moral compass, and in truth, while being a bad guy, he's nothing paled to the monsters he works for. Monsters who, I think, give a great glimpse into GTA3's Liberty City and its socio-American values.

If you can't tell already, GTA3 is my favorite in the series. Though I think Vice City is the overall best.

But looking at the supposedly leaked character profiles for gta5, we're going to be playing as cops this time. I truly think that would put a great spin on the formula.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 6, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Post != edit

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Himuro posted:

But looking at the supposedly leaked character profiles for gta5, we're going to be playing as cops this time. I truly think that would put a great spin on the formula.

I totally missed this but I've been wanting a GTA where you play as a cop for years. I love the idea of starting out as an idealistic rookie and getting progressively more jaded and corrupt as the story unfolds.

Convex posted:

Something like... this?

I really wish I was into PC gaming sometimes.

I still remember my first experience with GTA 3 at a friends house when I was 17 and being totally blown away by the big, open, violent sandbox city. It was really unlike anything I'd played before and none of them have quite recreated the experience since, although I've loved most of them. Even 4 which I still play off and on just driving around causing minor trouble like pushing people down stairs.

I really wish GTA4 had the Saints Row 2 throw though.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

Well optimization is the crux of it, right? It's kind of lame for the developers to expect users to upgrade their CPU for one drat game when every single other PC game out there runs just fine for another 1.5 years afterwards.

My 2.66 GHz C2D 8800GT system is finally going to be overwhelmed by the upcoming wave of PC games in the next half year, but until now it's been fantastic and great value for almost four years* with the exception of GTA IV.

Crysis wasn't that well optimized either but the difference of a GPU reliant game is there are a bevy of options to customize to make it all work. If your CPU isn't up to snuff, there isn't as much that can be done to compensate. And don't get me wrong, I am not trying make bones over this. J

Himuro posted:

:stare:

I am now holding you personally responsible should this turn out to be untrue because it sounds fantastic. I would also love it if over the course of your career, you crossed paths with the past "heroes" of Grand Theft Auto.

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 6, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

KFCB posted:

Crysis wasn't that well optimized either but the difference of a GPU reliant game is there are a bevy of options to customize to make it all work. If your CPU isn't up to snuff, there isn't as much that can be done to compensate. And don't get me wrong, I am not trying make bones over this. J

:stare:

I am now holding you personally responsible should this turn out to be untrue because it sounds fantastic. I would also love it if over the course of your career, you crossed paths with the past "heroes" of Grand Theft Auto.

Well don't take my word for it.

But the leaked character profiles, if they are related to GTA5, mostly feature cops as characters on the list. That many cops suggest that you play as a cop.

If the leak is true, which I somehow doubt, it would definitely rock. Just temper your expectations.

Though every source cited suggests that the leaked character profiles are indeed from GTA5.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Himuro posted:

Just temper your expectations.

Too late!

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

GTA4 certainly could have been optimized better, but they shot themselves in the foot by including those really high detail options. Most people instantly get angry when they can't run the highest settings on their hardware. PC gamers have no right to bitch about it though, they did something that most game companies don't even bother with, and that is include those huge detail increases versus just porting it over. The PC settings to be equivalent to the console was something like, medium and 20 for distances, consoles did not include the shadow settings. Of course, they still missed antialiasing support and SLI/Crossfire, both of which are fairly huge for PC. I really hope that they fix those issues in the next version and still include all the detail again, even if it can't be used for a few years. GTA games have always been something I jump into years after release and gently caress around in, having more detail as I upgrade is always nice.

Those actor descriptions sound hilarious though, and they are probably going to receive a ton of free press for the release with the anger this causes with parents. I really want to see more destructive environments in the next one, combined with Euphoria. Something like the destruction available in Red Faction or Bad Company 2 in a city setting. And hopefully a story that takes the insanity of how the game is played into account of how people behave. I thought Gay Tony was really good on this front, just non-stop over the top missions.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

If you play as a cop, they drat well better make it "Bad Lieutenant: The Game" and not another moral fable where you play someone brooding and conflicted. I'd be fine with being a Harvey Keitel type, roaming around, shooting up heroin when I'm not shooting up pimps, or drinking in the street while tossing grenades off of overpasses just because. I'd even settle for Nicolas Cage. I take that back, I'd settle for no less than Nicolas Cage.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I still start up San Andreas every once and a while and fly around the state in my low-weight high-speed taxi while listening to terrible music on the user tracks player. Messing with the vehicle attributes in these games makes for some great fun.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Messing with vehicle attributes, you say? There's a whole slew of these and they never cease to amuse me, the euphoria engine is silly enough on its own, but when you start messing with numbers it becomes hilarious.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Convex posted:

Something like... this?

I would play the poo poo out of that. I definitely agree with rps, my best gta memories come from that game.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I just hope rockstar does something to melee so that you can actually fight people with your fists effectively. RDR and GTAIV were just horrible in that aspect.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
My favorite GTA experience has always been turning on the "Peds Riot", "Peds with Weapons", "Peds Attack You", and "Flying Cars" cheats in GTA 3 and just running around the city with chaos all around. It was great to be speeding down the street in a Cheetah only to have the car randomly explode out of nowhere, then realizing it was an old granny holding a bazooka that did me in.

For some reason the codes got really gimped in Vice City and it wasn't nearly as fun.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

illcendiary posted:

My favorite GTA experience has always been turning on the "Peds Riot", "Peds with Weapons", "Peds Attack You", and "Flying Cars" cheats in GTA 3 and just running around the city with chaos all around. It was great to be speeding down the street in a Cheetah only to have the car randomly explode out of nowhere, then realizing it was an old granny holding a bazooka that did me in.

For some reason the codes got really gimped in Vice City and it wasn't nearly as fun.
This is really the only thing that bothered me with GTA4, was that there were only like 8 cheat codes that you could use.

GTASA: http://www.gtasanandreas.net/cheats/pc.php

GTA4: http://vgstrategies.about.com/od/pccheatsg/a/GTA4PCCodes.htm

I mean, at least on PC its fixed with trainers, but on consoles you don't even get a godmode cheat. Thats the best cheat in GTA.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

illcendiary posted:

My favorite GTA experience has always been turning on the "Peds Riot", "Peds with Weapons", "Peds Attack You", and "Flying Cars" cheats in GTA 3 and just running around the city with chaos all around.

Yeah, they brought back the peds rioting in San Andreas in the most literal sense, by actually having that be part of the story. I knew it was coming since it was the LA area in the early 90's, but it was still amazing when it happened. The best part is that you can make the riots start up again any time with a cheat code, and it's not just angry pedestrians. You have random cars burning in the street, houses on fire, guys just walking around with TV sets... all this plus you can turn on a cheat to instantly give yourself a gimp suit and a big rubber dildo. Not to mention the "recruit anybody" cheat, so you can amass a small hobo/prostitute army.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Geight posted:

Messing with vehicle attributes, you say? There's a whole slew of these and they never cease to amuse me, the euphoria engine is silly enough on its own, but when you start messing with numbers it becomes hilarious.

I've edited my handling files so that a few select cars drive at insane speeds and increased the mass of them to basically plow through anything. Hitting a line of cars at 200+ mph and throwing them 100 feet is pretty hilarious with tons of explosions. I've also edited the taxis and cop cars to take something like 5x the damage, so even a lite tap crushes them down. Now if only I could figure out the setting that causes you not to be ejected, the APC won't eject you, but basically any other vehicle will.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

illcendiary posted:

That was great, my favourite thing to do in San Andreas after the story ended was turn on the riots and hostility cheats while on foot in Grove Street, give myself a 4-star wanted rating and try to make it to the airport in Las Venturas to grab a passenger jet.

Another Castle
May 19, 2006

Yo Ton', you see these two guys?

Tumble posted:

This never bothers me nearly as much as it seems to bother everyone else. I think I kind of prefer it. To me it's like two different game modes.
I like having the semi-serious narrative (as heavy-handed as it comes out sometimes). When I do the psychotic rampage thing I don't really feel like I'm playing the same character, or any character really. I'm just playing some arcade-style game for fun. When I get bored with that I'll go back to the main story and pick up where I left off.
The two separate, co-existing styles is a lot of what makes the GTA formula (and the sandbox formula in general) work for me. I suppose if anything had to change, maybe a less rigid story path would work; more branching paths or ways to change the world in a meaningful way. Though really I'm happy with the current style.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Another Castle posted:

This never bothers me nearly as much as it seems to bother everyone else. I think I kind of prefer it. To me it's like two different game modes.
I like having the semi-serious narrative (as heavy-handed as it comes out sometimes). When I do the psychotic rampage thing I don't really feel like I'm playing the same character, or any character really. I'm just playing some arcade-style game for fun. When I get bored with that I'll go back to the main story and pick up where I left off.
The two separate, co-existing styles is a lot of what makes the GTA formula (and the sandbox formula in general) work for me. I suppose if anything had to change, maybe a less rigid story path would work; more branching paths or ways to change the world in a meaningful way. Though really I'm happy with the current style.

This is how I feel. The only time I am actually using the character/person of Claude/Tommy/CJ/Niko is when I am in-mission. All the times outside of that, it does not matter to me what the controlled character says/does/looks like. It never crosses my mind that Niko's motivations don't line up with me cruising in a tank all aroudn town.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Doctor Butts posted:

I just hope rockstar does something to melee so that you can actually fight people with your fists effectively. RDR and GTAIV were just horrible in that aspect.

They made such an amazing system in Warriors which seem designed to be a prototype fighting system for GTA that I don't understand why GTA fighting is still so lovely.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Niko's motivations don't line up with what he does IN missions or even cutscenes. That's why he's a completely poo poo character.

CJ is a stupid, greedy, easily manipulated, all around bad person and career criminal who's only loyalties are to his friends and family. That makes his character work.

Tommy Vercetti is a complete psychopath and actively enjoys torturing and murdering people. That's why he's the best player character in GTA. Everything he does makes complete sense because he doesn't give the slightest poo poo about other people.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, they brought back the peds rioting in San Andreas in the most literal sense, by actually having that be part of the story. I knew it was coming since it was the LA area in the early 90's, but it was still amazing when it happened. The best part is that you can make the riots start up again any time with a cheat code, and it's not just angry pedestrians. You have random cars burning in the street, houses on fire, guys just walking around with TV sets... all this plus you can turn on a cheat to instantly give yourself a gimp suit and a big rubber dildo. Not to mention the "recruit anybody" cheat, so you can amass a small hobo/prostitute army.

gently caress yes, having peds riot in the middle of the story was glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

KFCB posted:

This is how I feel. The only time I am actually using the character/person of Claude/Tommy/CJ/Niko is when I am in-mission. All the times outside of that, it does not matter to me what the controlled character says/does/looks like. It never crosses my mind that Niko's motivations don't line up with me cruising in a tank all aroudn town.

I can kind of agree with this, but I just tend to "inhabit" whatever character I'm playing when I play any game. Not so much if I load up the game and immediately jump into psycho killing mode, but if I've been following the story and try to go on a rampage between missions it doesn't feel right.

On an unrelated note, why do people trash GTA IV so much and not GTA III? GTA III has even less to do between missions and yet nobody complains. Is it just the fact that GTA III was the first of its kind? Is it really the fact that Claude is a "silent protagonist" and they feel like they're more free to be a bastard?

• Locked thread