Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheHawke
Jul 30, 2002
Ich bin ein Berliner
I think I have pretty bad teeth and dental arrangement generally, and thus a year ago I got 4 teeth out and braces on (I'm 25). As my gum line had recessed badly it was necessary to get my teeth straight to aid cleaning to stop things getting worse. Apparently.

So I start flossing as much as I can be bothered with the braces, and the teeth move around (quickly enough to worry me that things are not quite right, but I am assured everything is A OK). Apparently I only have 3/4 months left according to the orthdontist, I don't think they will be straight in that time and had previously suggested that "If you are going to do a job, do it properly", i.e. leave them on till things are perfectly straight. Now I just want the bastards off to not go through what you have endured. I am pretty paranoid now about what happens when the brackets are going to come off.

The thought has crossed my mind before that with all the referrals and re-referrals, everyone in the business is just passing you along and getting their cut, but there has been improvement in my teeth and I had planned to have some work done to my gums to try and improve them.

I shall attempt to stop feeling sorry for myself for my situation as it is of my own making, I was given pretty strong teeth resistant to cavities, but I did not take care of them for 15 years. You seem to have been screwed by many people who should be totally trustworthy whilst doing your bit to keep them in shape. I feel very sorry for you, and truly hope that you get an absolutely loving huge amount of money in compensation for long term effects of this, and the emotional trauma you experienced. I second the opinion that Dr Cockmumcher, or whatever he is called, should have to blow intravenous drug users with bleeding cocks for the rest of his working life.

It seems that as long as your teeth are not terribly crooked, it is in fact simple enough to keep them in good shape, but I did not learn how to brush my teeth till I was 25, it sounds strange, but I guess no one really told me before so for anyone that brushes once a day and does not floss, here are some tips:

- Brush morning and night.
- Use an electric toothbrush, the vibration helps dislodge plaque under the gum line.
- Use an electric toothbrush, they clean hard to reach places much better than manual ones.
- Use an electric toothbrush, they help prevent you applying too much pressure when brushing which damages your gums,
- otherwise the softest bristled one you have. There is no place for anything but the softest bristled toothbrush in anyone’s bathroom.
- Don't brush hard, its not necessary. Especially don’t give them "an extra good scrub" cos you missed a day or you are seeing the dentist tomorrow, it does more harm than good, especially to your gums, but can also brush off enamel on weak teeth.
- Don't brush side to side, a sort of circular motion is best when using a manual toothbrush.
- Don't grip your brush too tight, it encourages brushing your teeth too harshly.
- Floss every other day, or every day if you be bothered. Brushing your teeth prevents cavities, but does not stop gum disease and gum recession. Flossing is the only thing that does this. Gum disease is the reason why your grannies have no teeth.
- If you drink coke/pepsi or whatever, drink some water or something to wash the acid out of your mouth immediately afterwards. Most of the tooth decay caused nowadays is because or acidic drinks causing demineralization of teeth.
- Use a strong fluoride toothpaste/mouthwash morning and night, this makes your teeth strong and can fight demineralization which otherwise turns into a cavity.
- Don't smoke. Smoking causing starvation of oxygen to your gums, your gums are extra sensitive to this. Couple this with some over zealous brushing and you will damage the gum and it will recede. You have to be pretty careful about brushing your teeth anyway, smoking makes your job a lot harder. This can all happen very, very quickly when you smoke. My orthdontist/periodontist refused to treat me unless I gave up smoking, so I pretty much quit the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHawke
Jul 30, 2002
Ich bin ein Berliner

quote:

starvey came out of the closet to say:
Although I'm sure a pack a day of Camels for the last decade might have something to do with this.

He;lp

Indeed, give up smoking, or your gums will recede and your teeth will fall out. I guess some people are more sensitive that others, as it is with most things, you seem to be quite sensitive as you take care of your teeth in all the right ways, but there is certainly a gum/bone problem at the front.

You can get gum grafts on that, and its not too bad. They cut some hard gum off the roof of your mouth, and stitch it where its needed. It is hard gum, which is different from the softer pink stuff near your teeth, but as its not going right next to your teeth its fine. You want hard gum there and the slight difference in color is not an issue as it will never be noticed that low down.

Your gums are not really receding top down as is the case with most people, it just seems to be at the bottom strangely. It would be odd if that was actually your teeth showing through, as that would indicate a lot of bone loss, I ain't an expert on this by any means, just someone who obsesses about the state of their teeth. They can do pretty tasty things with Guided Tissue Regeneration and Guided Bone Regeneration now. They are more expensive that simple gum grafts, and dont have as high a success rate, but are pretty much guarenteed to have a slight improvement and not make things worse at any rate.

Also, there seem to be a lot of people saying that they have cavities that they cant be arsed / ca'nt afford to get fixed. This is bonkers. I got a filling recently, a big bastard on a molar tooth and it cost me £50. If you don't get it done the decay spreads like wildfire in the soft dentene (its already got through the hard enamel), You will be talking more like £500+ for a root canal if you don't get them seen to quickly.

TheHawke
Jul 30, 2002
Ich bin ein Berliner

quote:

Bladehaven came out of the closet to say:
(also, I want to see a picture of you standing next to another human being, preferably your girlfriend, in a manner that will allow me to boggle at the size of someone a foot taller than me)

I second that. I've posted twice in your thread so I feel you owe me a picture.