Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I'm kinda glad (not really) 3 didn't get made because of this. As you said, it would reduce the Shivans to just another faction rather than the almost-a-force-of-nature they were presented as in the first games.

On the other hand, the same interview spelled out the rather awesome idea of the Shivans not even being really a sentient force at all, but rather a kind biologically-manufactured Jump Node construction service who's idea of maintenance is destroying races that are hostile enough to damage the nodes in their wars.

Now THAT is how you hammer in how insignificant the player character is.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

I just have to recommend Derelict.
A complete (very long) user made semi-sequel campaign, of a quality largely comparable to the original game. It also includes full voice acting which is (shock horror) actually not completely poo poo!
Some voice acting may be a little poo poo.
Has anyone had any luck downloading this? The fileshack link doesn't exist, and the freespacemods download never makes it any farther than ~5mb before crashing.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Super Spy posted:

Has anyone had any luck downloading this? The fileshack link doesn't exist, and the freespacemods download never makes it any farther than ~5mb before crashing.

I got it just fine through the FSOpen installer.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
May favorite FS3 dream-storyline that I've always hoped for was:

The GTVA desperately continue their retreat from the Shivan onslaught. During their regression, they find a secret portal built by the Ancients near a black hole that kept it long-hidden from Shivan sensors. A GTVA refugee flotilla that Alpha 1 flies for is forced to make a hasty retreat through this secret portal early on in the campaign during rescue operations.

What they find is an entirely new sector of space (galaxy?) that the Ancients fled to thousands of years ago to escape the destruction of their homeworld. The Ancients are surprised and enraged by the Terran-Vasudan intrusion, fearing that the Shivans may discover the portal and follow. There is initial conflict between the GTVA and Ancients, putting the GTVA and Alpha 1 between a real rock and a hard place.

Eventually the Shivans do come through the portal, but only because the player finds out that GTVA command purposely led the Shivans through the portal in order to force an alliance with the Ancients. Somehow (I haven't decided how it should end yet), A.) the Shivans are either defeated, or B.) the portal is closed and represents a distance too vast for the Shivans to "jump without nodes".

The final mission is a secret mission in which Alpha 1 is tasked with destroying a secret special ops wing of Ancients that are carrying evidence of the earlier treachery of the GTVA command. Do you kill the Ancients and keep the secret in order to preserve the new alliance, or do you let help them reach home with a clear conscience and risk another war?

Try telling me this doesn't sound completely badass. :smith:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Man, most aspects of the Blue Planet series are pretty drat good. You can tell a lot of love and effort went into the world-building and fluff. I don't like what they did with the Shivans though, and try as I might I just can't sympathize with the protagonists from part 2, but still, for the most part it's top notch

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Siets posted:

Try telling me this doesn't sound completely badass.
No, that sounds just about perfect.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

RentACop posted:

Man, most aspects of the Blue Planet series are pretty drat good. You can tell a lot of love and effort went into the world-building and fluff. I don't like what they did with the Shivans though, and try as I might I just can't sympathize with the protagonists from part 2, but still, for the most part it's top notch

I'm confused as to why you can't sympathise with the protagonists from War in Heaven. They seemed pretty much made to be sympathised with, as the new recruits in a futile, bloody, losing war.

The Shivans and Vishnans are the worst part of it.

I also really love how War in Heaven is pretty realistic, as far as the GTVA strategies and stuff go. There's AWACS ships providing EM support, TAG missiles, subspace strikes, beam cannons being jammed, ships jumping away before they get destroyed, etc. etc.

member001
Feb 19, 2011

Siets posted:

Try telling me this doesn't sound completely badass. :smith:

Play FS1-Silent Threat. That is all.
Or get it via FS2O.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

I'm confused as to why you can't sympathise with the protagonists from War in Heaven. They seemed pretty much made to be sympathised with, as the new recruits in a futile, bloody, losing war.

The Shivans and Vishnans are the worst part of it.

I also really love how War in Heaven is pretty realistic, as far as the GTVA strategies and stuff go. There's AWACS ships providing EM support, TAG missiles, subspace strikes, beam cannons being jammed, ships jumping away before they get destroyed, etc. etc.

Sympathize was the wrong word. It's just, after Freespace1+2 and Silent threat and X amount of other campaigns I can't get behind fighting the GTVA no matter the plot justification. Now given the kinda ace-combatness of it all what with picking up your foes comm transmissions occasionally I know that's partly intentional but for me it went far enough that I was hoping my "side" would lose.

So that's really more on me than the campaign then :/

Definitely agree on the tactics, they did a really good job of showing how two different doctrines bounce off and adapt to each other

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Does, uh, Derelict get better after the first set of missions? Because so far, Blue Planet has blown it away in every category, from quality of voice acting to mission pacing to the right balance of difficulty

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

TheDemon posted:

Does, uh, Derelict get better after the first set of missions? Because so far, Blue Planet has blown it away in every category, from quality of voice acting to mission pacing to the right balance of difficulty

Yes but you're also pretty much comparing one of the first big campaigns to be made (and then updated to SCP) to Blue Planet which, really, I would suggest is one of the best FS2 campaigns made. I also think Derelict was the first big attempt at the HLP forums to voice act an entire campaign. There's literally ten years of innovation and improvement between the two of them.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Please forgive me if this has been answered before, but I just upgraded to Win7 and I can't seem to get the FS Source Code project installer to work. I point it to the folder and it just sits there.

I had this working on XP, what happen :<

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

robotsinmyhead posted:

Please forgive me if this has been answered before, but I just upgraded to Win7 and I can't seem to get the FS Source Code project installer to work. I point it to the folder and it just sits there.

Try re downloading the installer? It worked fine on win7 for everyone I know.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Well I must be missing something. I got the game off GOG, and the install directory is c:\program files\GOG.com\Freespace 2

I point the installer at that folder and it won't move.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

robotsinmyhead posted:

Well I must be missing something. I got the game off GOG, and the install directory is c:\program files\GOG.com\Freespace 2

I point the installer at that folder and it won't move.

Same thing happened to me... I tried downloading the .exe one, ran it as admin, and it told me it couldn't find the scripts to download anything. This guide on the GOG.com forums will get you up and running though, and it's pretty easy to follow.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

robotsinmyhead posted:

When I installed SCP a few weeks ago the installer couldn't find a fair number of files it had to download. I'd suggest you do a manual install, as much as a pain in the rear end that is, at least all the necessary files are still up.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Oh holy poo poo a FreeSpace Open thread, how did I not see this.

Hey guys, I'm one of the lead writers and mission designers on Blue Planet (but I only joined up for the second one, don't start yelling at me about how the Vishnans were dumb/the AoA end twist was dumb). I also do a ton of tech support for FreeSpace Open, which is necessary because - while FSO is really pretty admirably stable - the community cannot admit to itself that the install/mod selection process is still a bit boggling.

I'm also the guy who posted that interview with Volition about FreeSpace 3. Also I am a huge Hard Light Productions drama whore.

I saw some discussion about how the worst part of Blue Planet was the direction taken with the Shivans and the Vishnans. We're aware of that, we feel like most of the 'damage' was done in the first Blue Planet when the Vishnans were very unambiguously friendly Vorlons and the Shivans talked. We're planning to move them back in the unknowable/unstoppable aliens direction, and hopefully make them even more frightening than they were in FS1/2.

It's really heartwarming to see Blue Planet discussion here. Also a good productivity boost, because we're (okay, I'm) enormously vain and basically run on :smug:.

ed: in addition to Blue Planet, everyone on Earth should play Vassago's Dirge, Wings of Dawn, and Transcend. Wings of Dawn is basically the weeaboo mod, so if you generally don't like anime that may put you off, but the missions and gameplay are really fun.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 19, 2011

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

My personal hang-ups aside Blue Planet is seriously a great mod. And the second one has so far done good work making what I can only assume are the Shivans mysterious again

Does anyone remember the dark days when Derek Smart was considering buying the Freespace IP? I don't really have anything to say about it just wondering. He was spitballing adding in ground combat and some of the younger people who didn't know who he was were excited for a new game :unsmith:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah I saw you were a GTVA over UEF kinda guy. That's totally cool, BP2 was written so you could root for either side even though you're stuck with the UEF point of view. At one point we actually wanted to ship a second campaign that was the same story from the GTVA point of view - maybe we'll get to do that someday.

Honestly, one of the most fun parts of being a dev is watching the UEF and GTVA fans argue on the forums about who has the moral high ground.

Derek Smart actually came back to Hard Light Productions recently to talk about one of his new games. It was actually a pretty civilized thread until some of the old grognards brought out the knives. He's sort of mellowed out.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Ah yeah, I remember you from the forums. I'm a relative newcomer on hard-light, but a long time Freespace Fan, and I remember you addressing my major problem on the tech support forum.

While it didn't get solved, I can rest easy, because the computer that has the problem is now pretty much gone, and I'm sure the sound problem will be a thing of the past once I get a decent computer with a good sound card, as opposed to using a decade old rear end wreck.

I JUST got to the part where you first start fighting with the Vishnans too, so I can't partake in the discussion just yet.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
I'm totally new to the game and installing everything (GOG and Open) right now! This isn't a big thread, just haven't gotten all the way through it. I read through the OP, though. Any advice for complete newbies?

I played a ton of "X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter" growing up, as well as "X-Wing Alliance" down the road, so I know I like this sort of game, just haven't done it for years and years. I'll be keyboard/mouse-ing it the whole way, since I'm not in a position to run out and buy a joystick right now..

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

TShields posted:

I read through the OP, though. Any advice for complete newbies?
When Allied Command tells you to stay out of range, man, you better the stay the hell out of range.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

General Battuta posted:

Yeah I saw you were a GTVA over UEF kinda guy. That's totally cool, BP2 was written so you could root for either side even though you're stuck with the UEF point of view. At one point we actually wanted to ship a second campaign that was the same story from the GTVA point of view - maybe we'll get to do that someday.

Honestly, one of the most fun parts of being a dev is watching the UEF and GTVA fans argue on the forums about who has the moral high ground.

Derek Smart actually came back to Hard Light Productions recently to talk about one of his new games. It was actually a pretty civilized thread until some of the old grognards brought out the knives. He's sort of mellowed out.

He turned up in the RPS comments thread for a while and was really interesting. It lasted for a fair old while before it turned to poo poo.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

TShields posted:

I'm totally new to the game and installing everything (GOG and Open) right now! This isn't a big thread, just haven't gotten all the way through it. I read through the OP, though. Any advice for complete newbies?

I played a ton of "X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter" growing up, as well as "X-Wing Alliance" down the road, so I know I like this sort of game, just haven't done it for years and years. I'll be keyboard/mouse-ing it the whole way, since I'm not in a position to run out and buy a joystick right now..

My advice would be to start with FreeSpace 2 and fly with the keyboard numpad, but go ahead and rock the mouse if you're comfortable dragging it around a bit.

The installer provides a pretty good spread of usermade campaigns. Just make sure you've got a 3.6.12 Inferno RELEASE (with an R, not a D) build selected in the launcher when you play. Select mediavps_3612 as your mod in the launcher to get the enhanced graphics on the main FreeSpace 2 campaign. Most other campaigns will automatically engage the MediaVPs when you select them.

Keep the difficulty low, enjoy the ride.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I feel so special now we have a dev posting in my thread :swoon:

I've only gotten to play the first mission or two of Blue Planet but I guess I'll go try to finish it now.

e; Added a small mod section to the op, if anyone has anything better let me know

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 19, 2011

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

I feel so special now we have a dev posting in my thread :swoon:

I've only gotten to play the first mission or two of Blue Planet but I guess I'll go try to finish it now.

I disavow responsibility for all the lines that make you groan (there will be at least three)

Someone shut me up if I start killing the thread with all my :words:, I just wanted to talk about why open source development is so cool. Nvidia has been working on an antialiasing technology called FXAA which is going to start hitting games this year. Normally, antialiasing doesn't play well with postprocessing, creating a lot of jagged edges in-game. FXAA, however, can be used along with postprocessing, and it's not very taxing. This allows improved image quality without much of a performance hit.

Nvidia actually released a sample of their FXAA code recently, and we were able to implement it in the FreeSpace Open engine. It should be in our next release and it looks very nice.

e: you could update your OP video link with this pretty cool trailer some random person did. I like the Flail video but this one's done on a newer version of the engine.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 19, 2011

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

TShields posted:

The most fun way to bomb destroyers and above is Death Star trench run style. Get as close as you can to the capital ship's hull, max power to engines and shields, drive along the hull, drop the bomb, get the gently caress out. Repeat until either you or he has exploded. Probably you.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

This gay thread just made me $5.99 poorer.

Thank you! I'm going to relive the poo poo out of Freespace 2. I loving love this game.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Slantedfloors posted:

When Allied Command tells you to stay out of range, man, you better the stay the hell out of range.
The sound of Flak Cannons and Anti-Fighter Beams being fired, forever.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Good loving lord, this Open setup is taking FOREVER. I wish I had read not to do "everything" before starting, now I don't know if it's worth backing out of and starting over, or just letting it finish.

FYI, I'm going by the PC Gamer info on the install. It's this month's "reinstall" game in their magazine. They posted this as a guide for setting up the Open mod, and it's held my hand through every process so far. May be worth tacking on the OP! http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=61606.0

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

TShields posted:

Good loving lord, this Open setup is taking FOREVER. I wish I had read not to do "everything" before starting, now I don't know if it's worth backing out of and starting over, or just letting it finish.

FYI, I'm going by the PC Gamer info on the install. It's this month's "reinstall" game in their magazine. They posted this as a guide for setting up the Open mod, and it's held my hand through every process so far. May be worth tacking on the OP! http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=61606.0

It's worth getting everything just because there's a lot of other campaigns and things that you get, and they're nearly all worth using. As for the other article I'll look at it in a bit but was there really a huge problem in installing?

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

It's worth getting everything just because there's a lot of other campaigns and things that you get, and they're nearly all worth using. As for the other article I'll look at it in a bit but was there really a huge problem in installing?

Well, no.. but isn't it nice to have validation that you're doing things the correct way? :)

I've personally never loaded a mod for a game, at least not one this all-encompassing. It goes through graphics optimization, too, and potential stumbling blocks you may run into, like what launcher to use and how to make sure it's loading the correct version, which is apparently an issue. So it's worth mentioning at the very least.

Edit: Christ on a cracker, I finished the purchase of the game at 2 p.m. on the nose, according to my e-mail confirmations of purchase. It's now almost 5 p.m. and I still haven't gotten past installing everything for Open. Hope all this is worth it! (I'm sure it will be..)

TShields fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 19, 2011

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I'm kind of hacking together an install on Ubuntu and I hope it works. I installed it in WINE and copied it over to my Linux drive proper and I'm running it through the WCA launcher. As far as I know you just have to copy-paste the MediaVPs to your install, choose them as mods in the launcher and you are good to go?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Faffel posted:

I'm kind of hacking together an install on Ubuntu and I hope it works. I installed it in WINE and copied it over to my Linux drive proper and I'm running it through the WCA launcher. As far as I know you just have to copy-paste the MediaVPs to your install, choose them as mods in the launcher and you are good to go?

Did you download Linux builds? If so you should be set, as long as the MediaVPs are located inside your FreeSpace 2 directory in a folder named 'mediavps_3612'.

I'm not sure I've ever used the WCA launcher, what is it?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

General Battuta posted:

Did you download Linux builds? If so you should be set, as long as the MediaVPs are located inside your FreeSpace 2 directory in a folder named 'mediavps_3612'.

I'm not sure I've ever used the WCA launcher, what is it?

Well for starters I was wrong and it's the WCS (Wing Commander Saga) launcher. I figured out to use fs2_launcher instead.

I have no audio or speech in-game, though. The Launcher is a bit hosed up for me.

That's what I see... it seems to work, but it's weird. Do you have any advice regarding in-game sound/speech? The intro video has sound.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 19, 2011

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Faffel posted:

Well for starters I was wrong and it's the WCS (Wing Commander Saga) launcher. I figured out to use fs2_launcher instead.

I have no audio or speech in-game, though. The Launcher is a bit hosed up for me.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/638/fs2ns.jpg/

That's what I see... it seems to work, but it's weird. Do you have any advice regarding in-game sound/speech? The intro video has sound.

The picture's not loading, unfortunately, I just get an imagehost splash screen. But I have some ideas - first off, did you install OpenAL? That should help with the audio (the basic FreeSpace 2 campaign should definitely have audio).

Second, try using WXLauncher, which is crossplatform.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

TShields posted:

I use the linked installer two weeks ago and it wasn't able to download all the necessary files, since many of them had gone missing from their hosting. I had to find and download half the stuff manually.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

OpenAL is installed as far as I know, so I dunno really. WXLauncher tries to launch, asks if it wants to grab the highlights from the HardLight frontpage, then the terminal gives me a relocation error and WXLauncher closes.

I hate Ubuntu. But it's still less painful than using Windows, I guess. Sort of.

I just deleted the folder and installed it using Wine. It's easier that way.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 19, 2011

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

TheDemon posted:

I use the linked installer two weeks ago and it wasn't able to download all the necessary files, since many of them had gone missing from their hosting. I had to find and download half the stuff manually.

Most of the stuff you missed is probably not important, but someone still really does need to go through and trim the list so it stops spewing errors.

Do you have a log of the stuff that the installer couldn't find? I'll try to get it cleaned up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Oh holy poo poo a FreeSpace Open thread, how did I not see this.

Hey guys, I'm one of the lead writers and mission designers on Blue Planet (but I only joined up for the second one, don't start yelling at me about how the Vishnans were dumb/the AoA end twist was dumb). I also do a ton of tech support for FreeSpace Open, which is necessary because - while FSO is really pretty admirably stable - the community cannot admit to itself that the install/mod selection process is still a bit boggling.

I'm also the guy who posted that interview with Volition about FreeSpace 3. Also I am a huge Hard Light Productions drama whore.

I saw some discussion about how the worst part of Blue Planet was the direction taken with the Shivans and the Vishnans. We're aware of that, we feel like most of the 'damage' was done in the first Blue Planet when the Vishnans were very unambiguously friendly Vorlons and the Shivans talked. We're planning to move them back in the unknowable/unstoppable aliens direction, and hopefully make them even more frightening than they were in FS1/2.

It's really heartwarming to see Blue Planet discussion here. Also a good productivity boost, because we're (okay, I'm) enormously vain and basically run on :smug:.

ed: in addition to Blue Planet, everyone on Earth should play Vassago's Dirge, Wings of Dawn, and Transcend. Wings of Dawn is basically the weeaboo mod, so if you generally don't like anime that may put you off, but the missions and gameplay are really fun.

This was an awesome post, thanks! Vassago's Dirge is on my to-play list, I just haven't got around to it.

quote:

Maybe I missed something but the GTVA didn't really have any moral legitimacy. I mean, isn't it basically that the GTVA started the war because they thought the UEF philosophies would destabilise them and weaken them if the Shivans were to return? And they proceed to fight a war with total, complete scorched earth tactics (bombing Luna, seeing civilian stations as acceptable targets, just to name a few) and they resort to some pretty despicable cloak-and-dagger tactics as well. The UEF, on the other hand, is only really defending itself.

• Locked thread