Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«292 »
B-Nasty
May 25, 2005
If a girl at a bar yells at me and lightly touches me with her finger, she deserves to be punched.

I promise you all, I will beat my wife.

Also, I've never lived a second in reality and will be a loser and a coward that goes no where for the rest of my life.

Cytokinesis posted:

Right now I am not doing much strength training

Change that. The walking is cool, but maybe cut the cardio to free up some time for: the basic compound lifts, particularly squats. The 5x5 program would do nicely. If you don't want to go to the gym, bodyweight squats, pushups, and pullups will work as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 25, 2011

Living the Dream

B-Nasty posted:

Change that. The walking is cool, but maybe cut the cardio to free up some time for: the basic compound lifts, particularly squats. The 5x5 program would do nicely. If you don't want to go to the gym, bodyweight squats, pushups, and pullups will work as well.

But if he had a shoulder injury that still hurts, he should provably check with a doctor.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005
If a girl at a bar yells at me and lightly touches me with her finger, she deserves to be punched.

I promise you all, I will beat my wife.

Also, I've never lived a second in reality and will be a loser and a coward that goes no where for the rest of my life.

tarepanda posted:

But if he had a shoulder injury that still hurts, he should provably check with a doctor.

My bad, missed that part. As with any training program, check with a doctor and take it easy to start.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream

For Loop posted:

Those ingredients though... I just can't bring myself to do it...

LMONDS, SUGAR, HONEY, CORN SYRUP, SPICES (INCLUDES CINNAMON, GINGER, CLOVES), PEANUT AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, PUMPKIN POWDER, BROWN SUGAR, SEA SALT, XANTHAN GUM.

I said the same thing when I saw the ingredient list. It may be "low carb" but it has a lot of what I've chosen to not eat so I may pass up on it even though Pumpkin Spiced Almonds!

I may try to recreate it though! Not sure about to do the pumpkin powder...

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Diseased Dick Guy posted:

I just want you all to know that Planters started selling a huge 23 oz canister of Pumpkin Spice almonds in spirit with the upcoming season. 6g net carbs per ~25 nuts. http://www.planters.com/varieties/n...duct=2900001626

Got them for $6 at Walmart. They're similar to (but better than) the cinnamon roast almonds. I'm in almond heaven now.
You are my hero. I've been craving something pumpkiny. I'm stopping at walmart tomorrow.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009
I AM A DELUSIONAL SHITHEAD DO NOT ARGUE WITH ME

Lixer posted:

I may try to recreate it though! Not sure about to do the pumpkin powder...

Canned pumpkin. Spread on baking sheet. Bake until dry. Grind up. Otherwise just buy pumpkin spice and mix with sucralose and egg, and roll your almonds in that and bake them.

I don't think the pumpkin part is as critical as the spice part.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing, you say? But I'm not even moving!

Cytokinesis posted:

Does anyone have any advice for what I could do? I am somewhat frustrated, because while I am in perfect health otherwise, this has been the last weight loss hurdle for me. I haven't got past it in years; 2.5 of which were on this diet.

Like everyone says, you should hopefully get some lifting in, but you also might want to try dropping the cheese for a few weeks and seeing what that does? Also you didn't mention eggs. I hope you eat a lot of eggs. If you can afford grass-fed beef every day, maybe you can even spring for pastured eggs? That's living the LC/Paleo Lyffe, right there.

Paccione
Aug 17, 2003

The most famous shot in the history of television

So I have a friend who likes to demonize Aspartame. She insists on using the liquid sweetener because they are 'healthier for you'. So I went to the store and found this gem.

Why would you sell a sweetener that tells you to consult a physician?

Also the stevia leaf extract I found had medical warnings on it. How come people don't like Aspartame? There are no medical warnings on it!

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.

For Loop posted:

Those ingredients though... I just can't bring myself to do it...

LMONDS, SUGAR, HONEY, CORN SYRUP, SPICES (INCLUDES CINNAMON, GINGER, CLOVES), PEANUT AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, PUMPKIN POWDER, BROWN SUGAR, SEA SALT, XANTHAN GUM.

Well considering the first ingredient, almonds, makes up over 90% of the recipe, I guess I just don't really take issue with minimal sugars. It's not like they're honey-slathered, sugar-dipped almond toffee. I've seen much worse ingredient lists.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

Paccione posted:

So I have a friend who likes to demonize Aspartame. She insists on using the liquid sweetener because they are 'healthier for you'. So I went to the store and found this gem.

Why would you sell a sweetener that tells you to consult a physician?

Also the stevia leaf extract I found had medical warnings on it. How come people don't like Aspartame? There are no medical warnings on it!

Cyclamates had a rocky start because the Nader Report on the Food and Drug Administration used them as a case in point of how poorly run the FDA was. In the report they mentioned that there were rat studies showing cancerous effects on the (I think) bladder of tested rats. However, subsequent trials found that this was due to at-risk rats and involved ingesting amounts that were unrealistic, and that, in any case, in healthy humans it was a non issue. If you already have a high risk of bladder cancer--or an STD or something, then it's conceivable that you'd want to stop using cyclamate.

But the warning label hearkens back to that, and could as easily be put on aspartame or sacchirin or anything else. They want you to consult a physician so he can say 'this is fine' or whatever, and not have to deal with people acting like they were tricked.

It's kind of a red herring. Though, it's valid in the sense that it's exactly as controversial as aspartame is. Well at this point, anyway. I mean that in all senses of the word.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Hey low carb thread. It's been at least six months but I'm back with some restaurants in Melbourne, Australia that as well as being awesome also have a number of dishes suitable for people on low carb (other than steak):

The Mill, Hardware Lane
Straight up modern European and Australian cuisine. They change the menu every quater but there's always something like roast chicken stuffed with blue cheese or confit of duck and other low carb goodies.

Cumulus Inc, Flinders Lane
By the guy who did Cutler & Co, but much better than Cutler & Co. They have a whole slow roast lamb shoulder to share and a killer charcuterie selection. If Charcuterie and entire lamb shoulders doesn't give you a low carb boner I don't know what will.

St. Judes Cellar, Brunswick Street
Sort of a modern take on hearty comfort food. You may need to avoid dumplings or mash on some meals but it's well worth it. They also have a sort of charcuterie thing going on.

The Meat and Wine Company, South Bank
Okay so this place is pretty much steaks but they're drat good at it.

I've been doing low carb for a year and half and have been maintaining weight, rather than loosing weight, for a year now after losing the initial 40kg (88lbs). There have been a few carb heavy weeks but in the long run it hasn't been any trouble. Mostly it's great to know how the food I eat is going to gently caress with my body. I used to eat sugary food and then be like "I'll eat healthy for the rest of the day" and feast on sandwiches and wonder why I was so fat. Now at least things happen as I expect so I can actually have candy without loving everything up because my base diet is so terrible.

Thanks for this low carb thread!

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

It's kind of a red herring. Though, it's valid in the sense that it's exactly as controversial as aspartame is. Well at this point, anyway. I mean that in all senses of the word.

Also I'm guessing Paccione and his aspartame-conspiracy theorist friend live in Canada because IIRC, sodium cyclamate is still banned in the US!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Lobster posted:

Thanks! That's pretty helpful. My mood stabilizer doesn't appear to be one of the WHOA MASSIVE WEIGHT GAIN TIME ones, though I think it can cause mild to moderate gains? My psych told me a lot of the anti-anxiety meds cause weight gain just because you stop being all fidgety and tense and can finally relax. I thought that was interesting, from a certain viewpoint.

I'm not really sure how dedicated I am to the idea of going totally low carb. I think I'm definitely up for LESS carb as well as recipes that are gf and tasty. Like I figure you guys would know what to do about such things as, I haven't had a single piece of fried chicken since Feb '06 (when I was dx'd) just because there appears to be no reasonable way to easily fake it up. Sometimes I would just about kill for some KFC. (Well, not KFC exactly... that thought turns my stomach, actually. But a good piece of fried chicken, anyway.) Also pizza. I don't live in some fancy~ place like San Diego where there is gf pizza that you can even have delivered.

But yeah you guys have some seriously good looking recipes there. I want to try the fauxtatoes for sure. I actually like cauliflower. XD

The Perfect Health blog has a ton of good, well-researched posts about eating a gluten free, high fat, somewhat low carb (but not VLC or ZC) diet. http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=2145 is a good starting point.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

GOT THAT FUCCBOI SWAG

Pepperami hot's are the greatest thing I've ever seen. Cheers to the UK goon who mentioned them. So convenient and low carb.
What's the crack with LC giving you acid blood or some poo poo? Everytime I see my mam she tells me I'm getting acid blood and bad bones because she saw it on the TV.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

A5H posted:

Pepperami hot's are the greatest thing I've ever seen. Cheers to the UK goon who mentioned them. So convenient and low carb.
What's the crack with LC giving you acid blood or some poo poo? Everytime I see my mam she tells me I'm getting acid blood and bad bones because she saw it on the TV.
It's probably the same crap line I've gotten from co-workers and friends who did a quick google search on ketosis and ended up reading the wiki article on ketoacidosis instead. For some reason, despite every article stating it as untrue, they want to believe that prolonged periods of ketosis will lead to ketoacidosis. In my understanding the only way you'll end up in ketoacidosis is if you're a Type 1 diabetic, a chronic alcoholic, or starving yourself completely(in which case you're not just missing carbs, but also fat and protein).

One guy actually tried to liken my diet to starving african children and their distended bellies being the end result of a low carb diet, this despite me being perfectly healthy and him eating far less calories than me on a low fat diet without losing weight for the past couple years. At that point I just sent him a link to this thread and told him that if he really wanted to learn about my diet instead of putting up strawmen arguments to knock himself out.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

So my work colleagues are still retarded about my low-carbin 9months in, 10kg down and having caught no colds etc since I've started the diet...

Although having said that, my lunch was a block of cheese and 7 sausages today.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Fuschia tude posted:

The Perfect Health blog has a ton of good, well-researched posts about eating a gluten free, high fat, somewhat low carb (but not VLC or ZC) diet. http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=2145 is a good starting point.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=2145 posted:

"food toxins" [such as] PUFA-containing nuts
there should be no reduction in carb or protein consumption on weight loss diets. [bolding/italics both in original]
zero-carb dangers
The place to cut calories, then, is the extra fats.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

_Dav posted:

So my work colleagues are still retarded about my low-carbin 9months in, 10kg down and having caught no colds etc since I've started the diet...

Although having said that, my lunch was a block of cheese and 7 sausages today.

I'm in an office full of people holding some absolutely retarded opinions (multiple people actually believe in homeopathic treatment and that vaccines cause autism). Low Carb is generally accepted fine around here, though it helps that at least one person has been low carbing it for a year, and most of us on the diet see great weight loss while the "traditional" dieters are flailing.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Casao posted:

most of us on the diet see great weight loss while the "traditional" dieters are flailing.
I think that's one of my favorite parts of this diet, being able to flaunt my successes while cramming gobs of fat laden foods into my mouth. It's like a 50/50 split in my office now, mostly thanks to my advocacy and appreciable results.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Welp, my stall has officially carried out to 2 months.

Trying no dairy, starting today.

Those who have busted stalls by cutting out dairy: were you able to re-introduce dairy after a while? I like cheese and I like cream in my coffee

Testro
May 2, 2009

I wouldn't sweat the stall, if I'm honest. (Which is a ridiculously easy thing to say, not so easy to do.)

I lost a grand total of 4lbs over 5 months and the only thing keeping me going was the idea that I hadn't put it all back on, which is what I would've done on alternative diets (I'd dropped 14lbs initially). I then lost 5lbs in 9 days.

How are your measurements going? I know it's something that gets said a lot in here, but sometimes your body shape is changing and the scales aren't. They'll catch up when they're ready...just don't get disheartened.

When I first started to stall, I was trying to think of all sorts of things to do (if you go back far enough, you'll see me querying about calories etc!) to keep the losses up, but I actually think now that it's best to just keep on going and let your body do its thing at its own pace.

I mean, I understand if you do want to cut dairy if you consume a lot normally and you want to surprise your body a bit, but 2 months isn't a massive massive stall...if you're genuinely sad about the idea of cutting it out, give it a bit longer (or try cutting it down, or try reducing something else). I think I'm just trying to say don't beat yourself up over it - some people lose rapidly week in, week out...some people are like me, and stall for 5 months!

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.

NatasDog posted:

It's probably the same crap line I've gotten from co-workers and friends who did a quick google search on ketosis and ended up reading the wiki article on ketoacidosis instead. For some reason, despite every article stating it as untrue, they want to believe that prolonged periods of ketosis will lead to ketoacidosis. In my understanding the only way you'll end up in ketoacidosis is if you're a Type 1 diabetic, a chronic alcoholic, or starving yourself completely(in which case you're not just missing carbs, but also fat and protein).

One guy actually tried to liken my diet to starving african children and their distended bellies being the end result of a low carb diet, this despite me being perfectly healthy and him eating far less calories than me on a low fat diet without losing weight for the past couple years. At that point I just sent him a link to this thread and told him that if he really wanted to learn about my diet instead of putting up strawmen arguments to knock himself out.

You should have asked him where poverty-stricken African children get all that access to meat and bacon. The food they can afford and are given by charity groups/governments are nutritional wastelands. Grains, rice and the like can also be transported farther and keep longer, unlike meat. I would love to hear him describe these low-carb diets those poor starving children are on .

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Diseased Dick Guy posted:

You should have asked him where poverty-stricken African children get all that access to meat and bacon. The food they can afford and are given by charity groups/governments are nutritional wastelands. Grains, rice and the like can also be transported farther and keep longer, unlike meat. I would love to hear him describe these low-carb diets those poor starving children are on .
He's one of those CI - CO stalwarts who refuses to believe anything other than counting calories matters. At that point in the conversation I'd been trying to reason with him for more than 15 minutes without him giving any ground. We ran the gamut from the Chinese to Inuit diets with him throwing out anecdotal evidence left and right with little to no real evidence other than his 'years and years' of medical studies that say calories in - calories out is all that matters. When I pointed out the 'years and years' of growing obesity problems in that same time period he went right back to it being all the fault of caloric intake.

I had all but given up by the time we got to that point, hence my sending him to this thread and washing my hands of him. I'd love to see him register and post here since he's a contrarian douche who believes all kinds of poo poo that would get him laughed off these forums. D&D would make his head explode.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Just ate 2 lbs of low-carb bread. Feelin' great.

Owldolph Hootler
Aug 25, 2002

Just ate 2 lbs of bacon from Denny's. Lookin cute, feelin cute.

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3
Aug 10, 2009

You think low-carb is a joke???

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Testro posted:

I wouldn't sweat the stall, if I'm honest.

I appreciate the post. From April til July, I lost 25 lbs. That was the point where my friends all demanded to know what I was doing to lose weight, so I extolled to them the virtues of low-carb.

Naturally, the instant I told my friends how easily I was losing weight, the stall began. Which brought on the onslaught of "HURF SEE IT DOESN'T WORK AFTER ALL IT'S UNSUSTAINABLE DURF." I'm just eager to get back on track.

And thanks for the reminder that I'm not gaining weight. I kind of lost sight of that.

In the meantime: 10 oz burger with pickles, sauteed onions, and horesradish mayo for lunch

WORST FORUMS GUY
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

5 slim jim "spicy hot" for breakfast

five guys burger for lunch (onions pickle cheese mustard ketchup lettuce tomato)

about to eat a whole chicken from the super market for dinner

I can already feel the burn that exercise just doesn't give me.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

Argyle posted:

In the meantime: 10 oz burger with pickles, sauteed onions, and horesradish mayo for lunch

I switched to green peppers from onions at one point to break a stall. But I'm very sensitive to fructose.

dont eat a carb
May 1, 2011

by T. Finn

Hey Sizzlechest some guy on the wiki is talking at you. I'm not exactly sure what his point is - if it makes you want to change anything let me know. I think you have admin rights to edit that page but if not I'll fix you up.

http://www.thelowcarbwiki.com/Talk:...Low_Carb_Primer

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing, you say? But I'm not even moving!

"I've been eating pounds of delicious meat and fat for every meal for months without gaining a single pound! What's wrong with me?! "

Friends, it's possible that having it this good has led to a loss in perspective.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Greetings from the British Dietetic Association, low carb megathread!

All too often in this line of work you see fad diets that cause genuine medical harm to people who simply don't know any better. Often they're based on childish wish fulfilment fantasies, like being able to eat nothing but bacon and not get told off by a grown up, or the attractive nature of counter-culture communities to dispossessed fat nerds.

Anyway, I just wanted to quickly poke my head in here on behalf of "the guys" and say that it's great to see qualified people give out sound nutritional advice on the back of great evidence-based science such as "I haven't gotten a cold in a while" and "my dog wags his tail when I feed him cream".

Sorry about the quality, it was taken indoors on a phone, but here's a little shrine we set up for you guys in the office!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

GOT THAT FUCCBOI SWAG

What's going on here?

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I switched to green peppers from onions at one point to break a stall. But I'm very sensitive to fructose.

Yeah, I had the same concern so I scraped off about half of them just to be safe. I rarely eat onions anymore anyway.

Doc Hawkins posted:

"I've been eating pounds of delicious meat and fat for every meal for months without gaining a single pound! What's wrong with me?! "

Friends, it's possible that having it this good has led to a loss in perspective.

I know. It is great to be able to sit down to a giant steak or a pound of bacon without gaining an ounce. But after being fat for the past decade, and seeing such great results followed by no changes on the scale, it's just easy to get impatient. That's all.

edit:

never mind. Oh, FYAD, you card.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Did this thread show up on a "go troll these" list in FYAD or something? That's like the 4th troll post in the past couple of days.

bl4d3
Jun 18, 2005

My supershakes bring all the goons to the yard of lard.

I'm not seeing enough sauerkraut love in this thread.. I just made up the below recipe and it was outstanding enough to come here and brag :

- 2 Sausages of any sort (I used Mitchell's, but anything that's nice and spicy would do)
- 30g Jarlsberg cheese (again, any cheese would probably do, but this poo poo has a nice bite to it)
- Hot banana pepper rings - nuff said.
- 140g of Sauerkraut - seriously, 140g of this stuff is 2g net carbs w/ 4g fibre. Amazing with the cheese melted into it.
- Various quantities of chopped Red Onion.

Fried all this up in together in a bit of bacon grease, and generously added your standard yellow mustard at the end.

Simply spectacular.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

A5H posted:

What's going on here?

"There have been -28071 posts made by enjoyable human being Martyr, an average of -8.30 posts per day, since registering on Jun 16, 2002."

that sure is a lot of fyad posts

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

James Thomoson
#1 B league HW
(and of our hearts)

enjoyable human being Martyr posted:

Greetings from the British Dietetic Association, low carb megathread!

What is the opinion of the British Dietetic Association on GOMAD

http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-s...on-gain-weight/

Lauren
Apr 13, 2002
The fucking whipshit of all fucking shitter-bongers

enjoyable human being Martyr posted:

sound nutritional advice

Enjoy your bread and jelly beans, enjoyable human being Martyr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

dont eat a carb posted:

Hey Sizzlechest some guy on the wiki is talking at you. I'm not exactly sure what his point is - if it makes you want to change anything let me know. I think you have admin rights to edit that page but if not I'll fix you up.

http://www.thelowcarbwiki.com/Talk:...Low_Carb_Primer

Thanks! I replied. It sounds interesting, but if breaking a stall was a matter of "just eat even LESS carbs," we'd have figured that out by now. Color me skeptical (but still listening).

«292 »