Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's never a bad time to post an Andy Hug video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfU8hbx_3pE

Nice KO at 2.08.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Iucounu posted:

So I decided to look for a judo place in my town. Turns out the only dude teaching judo merged with the local Krav Maga/BJJ school. Judo classes are only once per week, so I guess I could do BJJ once or twice per week to round it out.

What do you guys think of their website? The Krav poo poo looks goofy, but this is literally the only place in town to do judo. :(

http://www.alaskakravmagafitness.com

I go to this gym. Garrett and Carl (the bjj instructors) are awesome people. I have pm if you have any specific questions.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It took a while but I finally read this whole thread. :suicide:

I've been out of training for a few months, but I'm starting again tomorrow. I do Dutch-style kickboxing taught by Ben Rothwell and BJJ. Later I might do wrestling as well. I started last year in March I think and stopped a little while ago due to mental problems. I have bipolar with really bad depression that I need to get electroconvulsive therapy for. I'm doing ECT once a week at the VA now so I can start training again. I went to a BJJ class last Thursday and got really sick since I'm completely out of shape now and one of my meds was loving with me. I have since stopped that med and hopefully that should stop the issue. I'm hoping tomorrow goes well.

I have severe motivation issues brought on by the depression of course, but Ben is a really nice guy, very supportive, and has taken an active interest in my mental health so he's trying to motivate me to get back in there. It's hard to get back in the gym, but I'm guessing that forcing myself to go will help my brain and make me want to get back in there more anyway.

There are a few questions that I had when I was going through the thread, but I can't remember if they were already answered or not. Oh well. Here's a weird one:

Anyone else have a horrible gag reflex? It really fucks with my BJJ because I'll tap out as soon as someone gets a hold of my neck. That sucks. Bad. It's even so bad that I'll gag when I have my mouth guard in too long when kickboxing. Does anyone else have this problem and is there anything you can do to get rid of it?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The Fool posted:

I go to this gym. Garrett and Carl (the bjj instructors) are awesome people. I have pm if you have any specific questions.

Cool, sent you a pm

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It took a while but I finally read this whole thread. :suicide:

I've been out of training for a few months, but I'm starting again tomorrow. I do Dutch-style kickboxing taught by Ben Rothwell and BJJ. Later I might do wrestling as well. I started last year in March I think and stopped a little while ago due to mental problems. I have bipolar with really bad depression that I need to get electroconvulsive therapy for. I'm doing ECT once a week at the VA now so I can start training again. I went to a BJJ class last Thursday and got really sick since I'm completely out of shape now and one of my meds was loving with me. I have since stopped that med and hopefully that should stop the issue. I'm hoping tomorrow goes well.

I have severe motivation issues brought on by the depression of course, but Ben is a really nice guy, very supportive, and has taken an active interest in my mental health so he's trying to motivate me to get back in there. It's hard to get back in the gym, but I'm guessing that forcing myself to go will help my brain and make me want to get back in there more anyway.

There are a few questions that I had when I was going through the thread, but I can't remember if they were already answered or not. Oh well. Here's a weird one:

Anyone else have a horrible gag reflex? It really fucks with my BJJ because I'll tap out as soon as someone gets a hold of my neck. That sucks. Bad. It's even so bad that I'll gag when I have my mouth guard in too long when kickboxing. Does anyone else have this problem and is there anything you can do to get rid of it?

I know nothing but I imagine immersion therapy with the mouth guard might help, wear it around your house or something till you get more comfortable as for the neck thing, I got no idea, roll more I guess.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I bought a newer, slightly thinner gum shield, as the old one was causing me to gag by being too big on the back teeth. Worked like a charm. So maybe try that?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I always gag on mouthguards unless I cut the back 1-2 centimeters off, and then it's fine. I'm fine with chokes though, so it sounds like a different problem.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I, too, always have to cut my mouthguards, so try that. Actually most people I know do this.

One dude still gagged on his, but conditioned himself for them by watching Rocky 1 through 3 with them on. Was fine after that.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah, I already cut the back centimeter or so off. Maybe I just need to wear it more to get used to it. Thanks guys.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Yeah, I already cut the back centimeter or so off. Maybe I just need to wear it more to get used to it. Thanks guys.
You can go to your dentist and ask about a custom fitted mouth guard. The drawback is that they're more expensive but you can't beat the fit, protection, and comfort. If you have dental coverage on your insurance maybe they'll cover it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have the VA (100% disabled) so I don't know if they'd even do it or not. I currently use a Shock Doctor boil-and-bite piece. It seems to work great for everyone else. This is seriously pissing me off. I have a rough time taking out the garbage if it smells too bad. I'm a serious pussy. I was even an EMT for a while and holy poo poo did that get bad at times. The other guys would laugh at me while I would try to hold it in while someone was violently vomiting everywhere. :v:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 29, 2014

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

I have the VA (100% disabled) so I don't know if they'd even do it or not. I currently use a Shock Doctor boil-and-bite piece. It seems to work great for everyone else. This is seriously pissing me off. I have a rough time taking out the garbage if it smells too bad. I'm a serious pussy. I was even an EMT for a while and holy poo poo did that get bad at times. The other guys would laugh at me while I would try to hold it in while someone was violently vomiting everywhere. :v:
If your insurance includes night guards then you're good to go - just tell your dentist you also want to use it for sports and they'll cast it as an athletic mold.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Are you breathing through your mouth or through your nose? I sometimes get a gagging sensation when I start breathing in through my mouth vs my nose when I have my mouthguard in.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I kind of want to try out jujutsu this fall but can't decide on the type. Around here I can either train Hokutoryu Jujutsu which is a Finnish invention that has karate style standing combat, judo stuff and jujutsu. It sounds pretty varied but also like a bit of a mixed bag that I fear might be a bit unfocused. I'm loving kickboxing but kind of want to try something with more grappling, which I don't know how much it has. The other option is BJJ which is from the stuff I've seen looks like 100% ground grappling? What should I go for? I always find it so difficult to commit to these things.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

General Emergency posted:

I kind of want to try out jujutsu this fall but can't decide on the type. Around here I can either train Hokutoryu Jujutsu which is a Finnish invention that has karate style standing combat, judo stuff and jujutsu. It sounds pretty varied but also like a bit of a mixed bag that I fear might be a bit unfocused. I'm loving kickboxing but kind of want to try something with more grappling, which I don't know how much it has. The other option is BJJ which is from the stuff I've seen looks like 100% ground grappling? What should I go for? I always find it so difficult to commit to these things.

BJJ and it isn't even close. If you want to do traditional jiujitsu, refined into a curriculum of techniques that work against resisting opponents and given a framework of rules that allow you to use said techniques in a full-resistance environment, there's a word for that too: Judo.

If you want a solid mix of striking and grappling, find a reputable MMA gym.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 30, 2014

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Question for you guys....

I'm left handed/footed, we've always been taught never to check with your rear/power leg my problem is that when I spar with a right handed person checking with my leading leg is impossible any ideas???

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Judo and BJJ will be way better than the others. They're jiujitsu schools, they're just the two best.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

As someone who doesn't have any real experience with martial arts, save for cardio boxing (i.e., lots of punch combos), is it reasonable to go straight into MMA without any kind of grappling experience, or should I be looking at doing a bit of BJJ as a primer?

I would be going here, if it makes a difference.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Gaz2k21 posted:

I'm left handed/footed, we've always been taught never to check with your rear/power leg my problem is that when I spar with a right handed person checking with my leading leg is impossible any ideas???

Learns both aka Kung fu/karate and annoy the poo poo out of people by switching. Or go into round one orthodox and then pop into southpaw in round two and maul the guy.

VikingofRock posted:

Is it cool to ask for style recommendations in this thread beyond what the OP states? I have very little previous experience in martial arts (just a few quarters of aikido in college), but here's what I think I would like in a style:

1. It's gotta be a good workout.
2. Emphasis on strikes over grappling (some grappling is cool though). Mostly I just think striking sounds more fun.
3. Some degree of competitive sparring. My aikido classes had none of this, which I though was a shame because I really enjoy competition.
4. I don't care if it's practical or not.
5. Actually, impractical but showy poo poo like this is probably a bit of a bonus:

If it matters, I live in Santa Cruz, CA but would be willing to drive up to San Jose a couple times per week if there were significantly better options there.

Kyoukushin, as mentioned, is a pretty good choice but I'd put shotokan or something like that up there with TKD if you can't find a good or convo isn't kyoukushin place.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
:siren: Hey everyone who has trained Thai-Boxing in Thailand :siren:

Where did you train or what place would you recommend?

It really doesn't matter where in Thailand.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Gaz2k21 posted:

What?

Not sure what you do, I do kickboxing, and you check with whichever leg is necessary. If the leg comes to your right side, check with your right leg, etc.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Patrovsky posted:

As someone who doesn't have any real experience with martial arts, save for cardio boxing (i.e., lots of punch combos), is it reasonable to go straight into MMA without any kind of grappling experience, or should I be looking at doing a bit of BJJ as a primer?

I would be going here, if it makes a difference.

straight into MMA is prob fine. If you're looking to seriously fight you'll prob end up doing grappling/striking intensive classes as well but if you're not trying to be the champ you should be OK starting from an MMA perspective.

...just please don't be the spazzy "MMA" guy wearing dumb no-gi clothes spazzing out all over everyone at a grappling practice.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Perdido posted:

Are you breathing through your mouth or through your nose? I sometimes get a gagging sensation when I start breathing in through my mouth vs my nose when I have my mouthguard in.

I catch myself doing both and when it gets really bad I focus on breathing out of my nose, but it doesn't seem to matter much.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Anyone else have a horrible gag reflex?

I had a problem with that for years and tried many of the things people have suggested. As it turned out the root cause of that hypersensitivity was acid reflux. When I got that fixed, the gagging went away completely

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

What?

Not sure what you do, I do kickboxing, and you check with whichever leg is necessary. If the leg comes to your right side, check with your right leg, etc.

I do Muay Thai, we've always been told to check off the front leg as often as possible...of course being left handed means it doesn't really work out. I was just wondering if I'd missed a trick somewhere.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Gaz2k21 posted:

I do Muay Thai, we've always been told to check off the front leg as often as possible...of course being left handed means it doesn't really work out. I was just wondering if I'd missed a trick somewhere.

Everything gets all hosed up in striking when one person's a southpaw, so yeah, it's not surprising that you're getting a bit confused by 'conventional' wisdom about muay thai. Work it out with your coach.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Signed up for BJJ. Can't wait to sweat it up with some burly men.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

General Emergency posted:

Signed up for BJJ. Can't wait to sweat it up with some burly men.

Sweating and hugging with burly men who wrestle you into submission... yeaaaah.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Gaz2k21 posted:

Fellow southpaw here. Oddly enough, we have been taught to check with our rear leg if possible. Another way of checking that our gym has taught us is that you can cross-check kicks aimed at the side opposite of your lead leg's side. It can also be used if the kick is coming too quickly to lift that rear leg up.

Cross-checking is simply lifting your lead leg like you're checking a lead kick. Then, bring the lead leg across your body to meet the oncoming kick. I've had to use that several times against some of the quicker orthodox guys during sparring.

So, give that a whirl. Maybe it'll work for you too. :)

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Dolemite posted:

Fellow southpaw here. Oddly enough, we have been taught to check with our rear leg if possible. Another way of checking that our gym has taught us is that you can cross-check kicks aimed at the side opposite of your lead leg's side. It can also be used if the kick is coming too quickly to lift that rear leg up.

Cross-checking is simply lifting your lead leg like you're checking a lead kick. Then, bring the lead leg across your body to meet the oncoming kick. I've had to use that several times against some of the quicker orthodox guys during sparring.

So, give that a whirl. Maybe it'll work for you too. :)

Cheers buddy I'll give it a spin, will probably have to lean into it as my legs are pretty stumpy and I'm quite wide.....

Thanks guys !

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
So I'm interested in getting my first pair of boxing gloves and I had a question. What's the difference between bag gloves and regular gloves? I'm still really new and crappy, so I'm just wailing away on the heavy bags at the moment, but I'm kinda getting tired of using the gym's nasty leftovers.

Should I get a cheapo pair of bag gloves or just get a good quality regular set of gloves now?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Admirable Gusto posted:

I had a problem with that for years and tried many of the things people have suggested. As it turned out the root cause of that hypersensitivity was acid reflux. When I got that fixed, the gagging went away completely

That... that is pretty interesting. I wouldn't think it could cause that. I do probably have acid reflux since I have heartburn all the time. I should get that checked out. I use the VA though so who knows how long it would be until I could see someone. :smith:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

ceaselessfuture posted:

So I'm interested in getting my first pair of boxing gloves and I had a question. What's the difference between bag gloves and regular gloves? I'm still really new and crappy, so I'm just wailing away on the heavy bags at the moment, but I'm kinda getting tired of using the gym's nasty leftovers.

Should I get a cheapo pair of bag gloves or just get a good quality regular set of gloves now?

Generally bag gloves are thinner and any glove you use on a bag will thin out from impact over time and protect your partner/your hand less when you spar.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I've asked this before, but jesus christ if it doesn't annoy me: how come I have so much trouble with beginners in grappling? I spar 99% of my time with really good atheletes, and as long as I can be technical and use my counter throws, I'll be more or less fine, same in the ground, but good god I can't deal with physically strong beginners. they squueze and push as much as they can and they do nonsensical things abd I honestly can deal with that and more or less find myself in an losing position.

What is up with that? I can deal with them if we are doing combat sambo or mma, because I can dodge their wide swings, go close and just throw, because they walk in with their fists and bodyweight going whenever, but pure grappling is just agony. I know that part of it is that they go 110% all the time without attacking me in a way - shooting, hip throws etc. - that I could counter. Yesterday I was so tired in practice that a five year old could have submitted me, but it still is extremely annoying to not be able to fight somebody who should be a piece of cake.

More movement and getting rid of undesirable grips would go a long way, but what else? What about in the ground? What should I keep in mind?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

ceaselessfuture posted:

Just get good quality boxing gloves first. Most newbies are fine with a single set of 12 or 14 oz gloves (girls might use 10 oz). These are the type of gloves you want to learn how to punch with.

Bag gloves are lighter, often have a "flat" face to facilitate bagwork and yep, are 50% cheaper but also really only suitable for hitting a bag, not for any sort of pair training ever. Ideally if you really get into it, you have one (or three) of both.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

somebody who should be a piece of cake.

Let's start from here.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

ManOfTheYear posted:

I've asked this before, but jesus christ if it doesn't annoy me: how come I have so much trouble with beginners in grappling? I spar 99% of my time with really good atheletes, and as long as I can be technical and use my counter throws, I'll be more or less fine, same in the ground, but good god I can't deal with physically strong beginners. they squueze and push as much as they can and they do nonsensical things abd I honestly can deal with that and more or less find myself in an losing position.

What is up with that? I can deal with them if we are doing combat sambo or mma, because I can dodge their wide swings, go close and just throw, because they walk in with their fists and bodyweight going whenever, but pure grappling is just agony. I know that part of it is that they go 110% all the time without attacking me in a way - shooting, hip throws etc. - that I could counter. Yesterday I was so tired in practice that a five year old could have submitted me, but it still is extremely annoying to not be able to fight somebody who should be a piece of cake.

More movement and getting rid of undesirable grips would go a long way, but what else? What about in the ground? What should I keep in mind?

This reminds me of that saying of how "The most dangerous coloured belt is white."

Beginners luck + unpredictability + enthusiasm. As a beginner I think I tried to subconsciously compensate for lack of "Knowing what to do" with "Do anything but with 110%".

Though on the other hand the instructor I was doing ground sparring with could effortlessly pin me in 5 seconds flat, he just lets me almost win if it looks like I'm doing something right until he counters once I do something wrong/don't follow through.

Which reminds me, one day this blue belt kid starts showing up, apparently he started around 7 years ago and he approached me to do ground randori and I'm like sure! I figured he would be good, but holy poo poo if he was even a little heavier and taller he would have entirely have had me several times over; the only way I got out of his hold downs each time was because the weight disparity was so large I could go "Nope" and with brute force pull him off me and I was entirely incapable of getting him, it said so much about his skill that I could barely do that.

It was amazing, that kid is crazy awesome, I count that as a loss for me and I don't feel bad about it.

I just love that moment when sparring against people who really know what they're doing where in a single moment I'm suddenly flat on my back and I have no idea how or why.

I had this one funny moment, I tried to get into kuzushi with someone, failed, and he's like "Here try again :D " and I do so, but only now he's ready and he gets my legs, and I'm like "Damnit, I fell for it!"

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

ManOfTheYear posted:

I love those matchups because they are a good approximation of a self defense scenario, I think. It teaches you to pay attention to the basics of the positions. Personally, if I end up on my back, I pick a guard I like and start shuffling around the side towards their back, when they feel me slipping around the side they'll massively overcompensate, giving up easy sweeps. Then I use the opportunity to practice basic heavy top control concepts, maybe go for a basic 1-2 combo like kimura->armbar from mount. It's very easy to trick a beginner into giving you a desirable reaction and walking straight into the second submission in a chain.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

It is weird how you almost have to practice with white belts to deal with them, like you forget wtf to do when people act kind of dumb or just lockdown and go totally defensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Crossface the gently caress out of them and then armbar them when they try to push you away. Works like a charm on less-experienced guys.

• Locked thread