Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Verisimilidude posted:

No. Also Rocky V is actually good I don't know why it gets so much flack.

Eh, I kind of agree with you. I mean how many more times could he do the same thing? Find some dude to fight, sick training montage, rinse/repeat. The bit with his kid was silly. The 6th one Rocky Balboa wasn't half bad.

BlindSite posted:

I stretch every afternoon after I get home from work on days I'm not training I find just being by myself for 20 mins helps get rid of the tension of the day too, but I'm almost never injured. The only three issues I've had was 1) a bout of staph 2) a sore knee that I tore about a decade ago but that cleared up after a technique tweak and 3) a neck injury from being stacked too hard by a behemoth.

Never torn a muscle or anything else lifting or training.

I think it's the third one with a montage featuring a Robot, which makes it the best. Also the bit where Clubber Lang tells him to send his wife around so she can be with a real man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-ntFroiHOA

I don't think the Robot comes in until he fights communism which is #4? It was definitely over the top and trying to take a cheap grab at the technological age etc but meh. Good movie.

Regardless the first one has a real charm to it and the acting seems more genuine. It's like the lack of budget benefited it.

Need to start running with hand wraps and shadow boxing.

BlindSite posted:

I stretch every afternoon after I get home from work on days I'm not training I find just being by myself for 20 mins helps get rid of the tension of the day too, but I'm almost never injured. The only three issues I've had was 1) a bout of staph 2) a sore knee that I tore about a decade ago but that cleared up after a technique tweak and 3) a neck injury from being stacked too hard by a behemoth.

Never torn a muscle or anything else lifting or training.

Foam rolling rules and if you got the money a mobility WOD super nova is nice. I don't own one personally but have been meaning to get one. Overpriced but great reviews.

http://www.roguefitness.com/mobilitywod-super-nova

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
The original Rocky is a classic but I don't think it's really a movie that should have sequels. Some of them are good too but they just feel so pointless. Rocky already told the story, it didn't need anything else.

Christoff posted:

Foam rolling rules and if you got the money a mobility WOD super nova is nice. I don't own one personally but have been meaning to get one. Overpriced but great reviews.

http://www.roguefitness.com/mobilitywod-super-nova

Foam rolling is the bomb. The problem I've had with stretching/rolling is that it's just... boring. It's harder to motivate yourself to get it done when it's so boring and you only notice the benefits hours later. I'd rather just plop down on the computer and play some games after getting home. Ugh. I already go to yoga once a week so maybe I'll do that at home too and be like Rickson Gracie and poo poo.

Never heard of those Super Nova things but lacrosse balls probably do the same thing for cheaper. I haven't used one myself though so take that as you will.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I've only seen the first Rocky and I'm completely satisfied with that.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How would you guys deal with an opponent who can kick and keep the distance pretty well with MMA rules? More often than not my punches don't connect and clinching is hard too.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

How would you guys deal with an opponent who can kick and keep the distance pretty well with MMA rules? More often than not my punches don't connect and clinching is hard too.

option a) Maneuver him into a corner/wall and double/single leg

Option b) attempt to catch the kick with an over hook or under hook, absorb the shot and sweep

option c) maneuver him into a corner/wall and begin punching time

but I'm no pro or amateur or v:shobon:v

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

It's a couple months old, but Bloody Elbow put out this article on Historical European Martial Arts (specifically longsword fighting), and all told it's a pretty accurate representation of what we do. If anyone's interested, it's a pretty solid outside perspective on things, and includes videos to explain certain basic concepts.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

KildarX posted:

option a) Maneuver him into a corner/wall and double/single leg

Option b) attempt to catch the kick with an over hook or under hook, absorb the shot and sweep

option c) maneuver him into a corner/wall and begin punching time

but I'm no pro or amateur or v:shobon:v

I think this is pretty accurate.

Fighting is kinda weird in a way that when you fight against an opponent who has a difficult style or is otherwise novel to you, you kinda glitch out and don't know what to do. When you afterwards try to think about useful strategies or ask people what to do, the answers are pretty straight forward and obvious. I completely forgot that I could also try to catch his kicks while sparring.

Makes me feel pretty stupid.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Oh I forgot another one, If he's throwing a lot of round kicks and you have a bit of timing you can hit him with a teep as hes starting the round kick, and then close.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Say I have five days and four hours per day to do punch mans related things. I go to punchmans class for two of those days for three hours each, how would you, the thread, suggest I divide the remaining 14 hours of time between road work, weights, and bag/pad work. Note that I do Gi/No Gi/Kickboxing.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 29, 2014

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just chill

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

KildarX posted:

Say I have five days and four hours per day to do punch mans related things. I go to punchmans class for two of those days for three hours each, how would you, the thread, suggest I divide the remaining 14 hours of time between road work, weights, and bag/pad work. Note that I do Gi/No Gi/Kickboxing.

Try stuff and find out which works for you. We're all different ages and aiming for different things. And nobody but you can know what you are weak at. lovely answer but also: true.

lovely cardio? Do roadwork. No power? Do weights and punch and kick right after. No speed? Do speed drills where you go 3-5 seconds and just rest for 30 seconds after.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Just get so close he can't kick without the kick being intercepted or grab the leg for a takedown. But mostly, just stay on him and infight using whatever the rules allow, elbows, knees, shin kicks, and torrents of uppercuts both to the body and the head and tight hooks all over the place. Nobody can kick at that range. That said, they might MT clinch you...

edit: oh and the basic kickboxing rule of countering (low) kicks: if someone kicks at your thighs just drive forward and slam him with a right cross. At least one of their feet will be in the air at that point, and your opponents balance well be bad; they can't slip the punch, no way, they have to soak it by blocking while being in a shaky stance which will throw their balance off - or then absorb just by eating it, which is never fun.

So let's say you are sparring with X who throws teeps or low kicks all day, like in MMA they mostly do. The second you see them raise their foot, leg or knee for the kick, drive forward and punch them in the face as hard as you can, preferably with your stonger hand and a straight punch for the better reach. If you land it, they will know that every time they try that kick they will get an answer that hurts, and might soon stop doing it. The bad side of this is getting your leg welted. But the only other realistic option is to always dodge back when you see an incoming kick, which makes it impossible for you to either counter or stop them from throwing kicks :\

Or grab it, but that depends on who is the the better grapler. Of course in MMA the rules change a bit from kickboxing, but exactly because MMA discourages high kicks, the punch counter to MMA kicks works so well. And forgot to mention this at first, but your other hand, which isn't doing the punching? It's blocking the kick you responed to and/or covering your jaw but if you're going to grab him/her, use it.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 29, 2014

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Thank you, that's good advice.

Also gently caress training with assholes. Yesterday I was stuck with this lumbering fat piece of poo poo gently caress face who isn't very good but has 100 pounds on me and uses that against me no matter what we do, be it grappling, takedowns or striking practice and this includes drills, because he has to have the feeling of "victory" for everything. No matter what you do, you have to be extra super careful because he goes full force at everything and he does the most injury-prone stuff in the world, like trying to get a guillotine when standing up and then collapsing with his full weight on you. Same in the ground and with striking. If he'd be smaller it would be more manageable, but 242 pounds of meat in motion is problematic for anyone.

MMA and striking stuff have such a macho baggage and it really sucks. For exampample judo isn't metrosexual like MMA is so on average there are less assholes in practice but anything involving full-contact striking has so much dicks it's ridiculous. With MMA it's especially bad and anything incolving takedowns is always initially very dangerous but with overweight assholes it's the worst thing in the world.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If you're a small dude you should either learn to move around a lot more or get coaches or a friend to tune them up in sparring.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I aspire to one day be the unofficial 'enforcer' at my gym.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

1st AD posted:

If you're a small dude you should either learn to move around a lot more or get coaches or a friend to tune them up in sparring.

I (try to) move like a motherfucker, it honestly is the only option for a small dude, now we only did drills that didn't really allow that. It's a bit of a paradox when I can grapple much better with actually good and big fighters even if they fight harder than usual but with a big fat violent beginner I'd rather stay in striking distance, because takedowns have such a risk for injury with the fat rear end in a top hat. I think I need to start lifting again, a bit of extra strength wouldn't hurt.

On another note, how much steroid usage there are in your gyms? I've very recently realized that my judo club is rampant with with that poo poo and our sambo club kinda has the same problem. I've been complaining in this thread that we have unimaginable giants in my gym and people really haven't believed me, but I guess this would explain it.

Feels pretty lovely to teach judo to six-year old kids with a very succesful athlete who is pumped with every possible drug known to man. Sports are fun and healthy, kids!

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

I (try to) move like a motherfucker, it honestly is the only option for a small dude, now we only did drills that didn't really allow that. It's a bit of a paradox when I can grapple much better with actually good and big fighters even if they fight harder than usual but with a big fat violent beginner I'd rather stay in striking distance, because takedowns have such a risk for injury with the fat rear end in a top hat. I think I need to start lifting again, a bit of extra strength wouldn't hurt.

Can't you just say this to him? If I feel an injury coming on I just mentioned it to my partner to go easy.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Are there no people your size there? Are you assigned training partners or do you choose them yourself?

If it's the first, tell your coach not to assign you the violent guy again. If it's the second, just pick someone else next time.
Training with people you think will injure you through their ignorance sucks, but it's usually easy to avoid these people if you try.

Don't try to work around their flaws, just train with someone else.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok it's a Pennywise post so there will be some useless info here. I had a 2 week serious downer, began drinking again, and new meds through off my equilibrium and I took out a mailbox. Big bill. Side-effect gone now. I was out of the gym for those 2 weeks as well. Suddenly this last weekend I hit a super high so I'm running with it.

I got back in to kickboxing on Tuesday, went to Yoga last night since the kickboxing really kicked my rear end. I realized something though. When everyone was done on Tuesday they just walked away, talking, usual stuff. I had to sit on the mat and wait about 5 minutes before I could move. My face was beet red, I couldn't see due to the sweat, and I was trying to catch my breath (I quit smoking 12 days ago). Normally I'd poo poo on myself and think stupid things like "oh I'm so out of shape, everyone's just better than me", blah blah. This time I thought, "Hey, I just gave 100%. If everyone else did they'd be on the floor with me." So that made me feel a little better. However, I don't want to be on the floor all the time.

I'm going to slowly ramp up my training since normally when I get too high I plan to do everything all at once and crash hard. These new meds must be working since they are keeping me grounded in reality. I'm going to BJJ today and a few hours later I'm going to try to go to kickboxing again. I started the C25K program to work on my cardio and will be on day 3 tomorrow. I'm taking it VERY slow since I get terrible shin splints and got a stress fracture in USMC boot. One problem is I have a really high resting heart rate. Like... scary high. Last time at the doctor it was 101. I measured it yesterday maybe 30-60 minutes after waking up and it was 86. When I did C25K yesterday, even jogging at a brisk walking pace it got up to 161.

Ok so bullshit over.

Question 1) Am I going to die... with my heart rate so high?
Question 2) What do you guys do when you are not training for exercise?

I have to take it slow so I don't overwhelm myself or like I said before, I'll crash hard and go into a depressed state again. I mentioned the boxing gym last time but I think that might be too much for now (as well as the whole money thing). So I'm thinking of switching to the advanced kickboxing M/W/F and BJJ Tues/Thur. I'm also thinking of continuing the C25K and incorporating at least pushups and situps at night or something. I'd like to shadow box but we literally don't have any floor space the way my lovely, old house is designed, but if standing in place and doing it is fine then I can do that. Any ideas or suggestions?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

ManOfTheYear posted:

On another note, how much steroid usage there are in your gyms? I've very recently realized that my judo club is rampant with with that poo poo and our sambo club kinda has the same problem. I've been complaining in this thread that we have unimaginable giants in my gym and people really haven't believed me, but I guess this would explain it.

Feels pretty lovely to teach judo to six-year old kids with a very succesful athlete who is pumped with every possible drug known to man. Sports are fun and healthy, kids!

In the striking art I have practiced the most, Savate, you always try to avoid moving "on rails" as in stepping backwards when they strike and then stepping forwards when you strike.

Instead you utilize side movement like 1st AD says above. See something incoming? Side step it to create a new angle, while also remaining in the distance you can strike, and punish him from your new angle. Faster than hopping backwards and then forwards again. That said, to do that, you need to stay very light on the balls of your feet, without your legs being too wide, which isn't best suited for takedown defense, and this style of stand-up fighting also takes a hellish cardio to keep it up.

But if you ever at all feel that you have the better cardio and have faster (side) movement than your sparring partner, sidestep any straight kicks (or punches). It's just that it isn't even close as easy as grabbing/blocking the leg and stepping forward with a hard straight.

And as always, when you are the shorter, smaller guy, you need to do a lot more work to connect with anything. In every striking art. In that scenario the rules are like so: have a better cardio, and side step and change angles constantly. Trying to "go on rails" with a taller guy who isn't complete beginner compared to you will always see you defeated. You need to get past the teep or the jab, and to do that, especially if knees are involved, you need to move around his limbs, not under, above, at the, or away from them.

It's very, very hard and exhausting.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

What do you guys do when you are not training for exercise?

Walking/Jogging around the park, rock climbing[that grip strength tho], body weight stuff. If I was reasonably sure I wouldn't get my bike stolen/ran over I would have invested in one.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ManOfTheYear posted:

Judo has signed up to the WADA drug policy/testing agreement, so it should be easy to get those idiots tossed out. Especially if they compete.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

ManOfTheYear posted:

Steroids are rampant in all sports, even as amateur level.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

willie_dee posted:

Steroids are rampant in all sports, even as amateur level.

I'm one of those freaks who don't drink or smoke or anything like that but I understand why other people choose to use them, but steroid usage has to be one of the stupidest loving things you could ever do with your life. I still get that if you'd be on NHL or something and you are earning millions of dollars and you need every possible boost there is to stay on that level, but anything below that just is outrageously short sighted.

Worst is that most of these roid dudes don't even compete anymore but they still keep on using because they want to look good and have the bragging rights for 400 pound bench presses. I just cannot understand how you won't have a "what the gently caress am I doing with my life" moment when you are buying shady pills and powders from some guy you met at the gym.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's an addiction like any other, one which feeds your ego and your self esteem. When hooked and faced with the prospect of a poorer body, I'd imagine it's very difficult to quit.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Steroids are mostly dumb, yeah. But the same people harping them are snorting no-explode and taking a slew of other terrible supplements.

"Lol you steroid fags staying thin and getting energy is easy"

*swallows 4 oxy elite pro pills*

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Question 1) Am I going to die... with my heart rate so high?
Question 2) What do you guys do when you are not training for exercise?

I have to take it slow so I don't overwhelm myself or like I said before

I don't know if you're gonna die or not, but I had a similar experience in taekwondo. I wasn't out of shape (it was right before I got my black belt in teukgong musool) but I had just really started with taekwondo. And, the class was just soooo much with almost no time to rest. Running, kick kick kick, run a whole bunch more then kick some more, run run run, kick kick kick, then spar. Like, no down time.

When I got home I felt really lightheaded and my vision was kind of weird. Thought I was gonna stroke out or something. Went to bed, didn't die in my sleep, been fine since.

When I'm not training I do yoga, lift a couple heavy things very casually, slam creatine, and there's an arcade outside my apartment with dance dance revolution. It's dorky but it's a good exercise.

And the third thing about not overwhelming yourself, I left that in because I totally agree. Not a doctor at all here, but from your earlier posts it sounded like you were doing a whole loving ton of poo poo. Seems like an impossible thing to keep up if you're just entirely relying on the energy you're getting from a manic state or something. Take it easy so you don't set yourself up to get screwed over when you have less energy.

Mannetosen
Aug 22, 2010

What's all this racket up here, Barnett? You watchin' your girl cartoons again?
The best tool I've discovered for dealing with fat, overly aggressive assholes is to kick them in the gut and legs until they either stop doing it or curl up in a ball. You need to make them respect you somehow and usually the only language spaztards like that understand is a quick shin to the stomach.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You seem nice

Mannetosen
Aug 22, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

You seem nice

Nice kind of goes out the window when a person twice your size goes way too hard despite you telling them over and over again to ease up. At some point you need to return fire to prevent them from seriously hurting you.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Mannetosen posted:

Nice kind of goes out the window when a person twice your size goes way too hard despite you telling them over and over again to ease up. At some point you need to return fire to prevent them from seriously hurting you.

Truer words have never been said. There was a pretty good kickboxer in our mma gym who always went too hard and tried to bum rush you, but he was my size at 154 pounds so I could easily clinch him and throw him around and submit no matter how aggressive he was. I still needed to be careful, he knocked me out once when I made a mistake and I ate a right cross. However, it was manageable.

Now with the 242 pound rear end in a top hat, you can't go easy, not for a second, even if you'd have 20 or 30 more pounds than I do, because there just is so much mass in full, uncontrollable movement doing the stupidest things there are. It basically becomes self-defence.

Size is the biggest cheat there is and it makes me mad. As a smaller person, you can counter and deal with it, but you gotta be on your A-game and move nad use angles just like Ligur said and with grappling it's the same thing, you gotta move and be really good with your grip fighting. I don't know how you should deal with fat motherfuckers on the ground though, I'm not very good at grappling from the guard so if I'm forced to be there and the other guy is twice my size, I'm pretty much in trouble.

Also thank you for advice. Being a smaller dude just means more work to become good, but I think it's a bit crazy that at 150 pounds you already are small, even though it's a pretty normal weight. Being 110 pounds or something must suck like poo poo.

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 31, 2014

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
These days at our gym we only really have nice people no matter what they train :)

Last summer 2 or 3 dorks who would have been trouble, frat boy types who did everything at 105% even tho they didn't know how to even throw a punch yet: exactly the kind of people who hurt girls and smaller guys, started a basic course in frog kickboxing, but they all quit in a few weeks.

I think the instructor (a very tough lady) told them to tone it the gently caress down right now and they correctly figured they were too "cool" (= stupid) for the gym.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Now with the 242 pound rear end in a top hat, you can't go easy, not for a second, even if you'd have 20 or 30 more pounds than I do, because there just is so much mass in full, uncontrollable movement doing the stupidest things there are. It basically becomes self-defence.

1) Why don't the instructors tell everyone or especially Mr. Fatblobs McFrenzy that sparring and training is not fighting, and you are not supposed to hurt or KO your training partners?!
2) Why don't you just refuse to train with the 242 blob of stupid?

Our self-defense classes occasionally get these weirdos who can't control themselves (usually not out of malice, I think they are just wired wrong in the head) and if they are found out to be regular risks, people either refuse to pair with them or the instructors ask them to go away or limit what they can do seriously.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 31, 2014

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Here is a tip for all you miniature martial artists. If you feel unsafe training with anyone, regardless of their size, you A) don't train with them and B) tell your instructor that said person is unsafe. You won't get in trouble for tattling and if nothing is done by the instructor about that person if they agree then maybe you need to find a new gym?

Ligur posted:

I think the instructor (a very tough lady) told them to tone it the gently caress down right now and they correctly figured they were too "cool" (= stupid) for the gym.

1) Why don't the instructors tell everyone or especially Mr. Fatblobs McFrenzy that sparring and training is not fighting, and you are not supposed to hurt or KO your training partners?!

Our self-defense classes occasionally get these weirdos who can't control themselves (usually not out of malice, I think they are just wired wrong in the head) and if they are found out to be regular risks, people either refuse to pair with them or the instructors ask them to go away or limit what they can do seriously.

These are the proper responses to these issues.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I've been lucky as a smaller dude that all the larger guys I've trained with have been chill and used to training with smaller people. Usually I've felt pretty safe. I think a large part of it is that some people just don't know their strength. Especially people who are new to MA stuff (the sort of people you'd see in a self defense class) so it can create some issues. You need to hammer it into their heads. Preferably with words.

I'm not used to being the larger dude so the rare times I do spar with someone smaller than me I do have to catch myself from going too hard. Don't wanna crush someone any more than I want to get crushed...

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Ligur posted:

We've been giving the guy basically second chances and he's been told a billion times, but now we're getting rid of him. I also told the instructor after the practice that that gently caress that guy, so I don't think he will be a problem anymore, at least not for me anymore. Just complaining out of hate and malice.

Also kinda thinking it through the self-defence mentality: on weekends I work as a bouncer and a couple of weeks ago I had to throw out an even bigger blob of stupid, thankfully words were enough this time, but he honestly was something I wouldn't wanna fight with. A week after that I was pushing five drunk regular sized assholes out of the door with my both hands and that time words were enough too, but I'd rather fight those five than that one huge dude.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
One of the cool things with Savate is that classes are mixed gender, usually it's about 50/50, and pairs are constantly changed and everyone trains with everyone :haw: So 6'1 215lbs guys like me trains with that 6'5 guy and also that 5'3 girl. Obviously, this type of training very quickly weeds out lumbering idiots who can't control their hands and feet or people who don't understand hurting other people is not the idea.

Of course our boxers don't really mix it like this (except if the boxers who also do Savate) -> I would never let some 6'1 guy who has only ever done boxing jump into the ring with a 5'3 teenage girl wearing a helmet.

ManOfTheYear posted:

We've been giving the guy basically second chances and he's been told a billion times, but now we're getting rid of him. I also told the instructor after the practice that that gently caress that guy, so I don't think he will be a problem anymore, at least not for me anymore. Just complaining out of hate and malice.

Also kinda thinking it through the self-defence mentality: on weekends I work as a bouncer and a couple of weeks ago I had to throw out an even bigger blob of stupid, thankfully words were enough this time, but he honestly was something I wouldn't wanna fight with. A week after that I was pushing five drunk regular sized assholes out of the door with my both hands and that time words were enough too, but I'd rather fight those five than that one huge dude.

Good! And complaining is sometimes necessary.

On self-defence: hah, if your Martial Arts would let you take on five men at once, have you not also learned the secret, too deadly to train nerve pinch of exploding intestine that would surely incapacitate any blob you could ever meet in battle??!!!

Ligur fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 31, 2014

Mannetosen
Aug 22, 2010

Ligur posted:

1) They do and it sticks for about five minutes and then arms the size of my torso come flying at me.

2) If I refuse to train with people like this they either hurt someone else or get mauled badly when someone less patient than me finally snaps. As much as leg kicks and body shots suck I've found it to be a more efficient way of getting them to pipe the gently caress down than trying to explain to them that they're hurting people at the point where I'd even consider doing it.

People generally calm down after a while once they realize they can't just bully people anymore at least, so that's nice.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mannetosen posted:

1) They do and it sticks for about five minutes and then arms the size of my torso come flying at me.

2) If I refuse to train with people like this they either hurt someone else or get mauled badly when someone less patient than me finally snaps. As much as leg kicks and body shots suck I've found it to be a more efficient way of getting them to pipe the gently caress down than trying to explain to them that they're hurting people at the point where I'd even consider doing it.

People generally calm down after a while once they realize they can't just bully people anymore at least, so that's nice.

Yeah sometimes it is like that :\ I've also given a few hard kicks, but the last time was, like, 3-4 years ago or something. I was sparring a spaz who first hurt a young girl (who was a personal basic course student to boot) then faced me in deadly, to the death sparring the next class I saw him at. I told him to tone it down for one round, but it ever stuck for 5 seconds before he'd go crazy again.

It's always such a mystery to try and figure why people do this. He was shorter than me, so perhaps was he afraid, even though I just kept touching him? Because I wasn't wincing or showing any pain, did he think he was actually going light despite my warnings? Had he not been struck hard himself, and couldn't appreciate how it feels? Was he just stupid?

I figured I'd test theory three first and to start round two I aimed a body kick to the ribs with the tip of my shoe the second he swung too hard and then cracked him with a right cross. Then mumbled something like "ok, I can do this too if you want me to". He immediately turned into a very considerate training partner for the rest of the day.

Lucky me that's so few and far between I don't even recall the time before that, except a vague memory I've had to do something like this a few times.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

We've got this one guy at our BJJ class, will not loving learn.

This one chap, a young guy, 20-ish, was really quick at picking it up. He trained loads of time outside of class, and is genuinely the best person at BJJ in our school now, learnt it like a natural. He's quite a bit smaller than me (maybe 15-20kgs lighter), and there is no loving way I will roll with him any more at all. The guy constantly rips the subs on. You defend, he gets frustrated then snaps an armbar on so fast you're gonna be lucky to scream "tap" before even having the chance to consider tapping. He's been told by everyone in class - tone it down, man, you're good enough where you don't need to do that, but he just won't loving listen, and there's no-one good enough there to regulate him. Apart from the coach, who, for some reason, doesn't do anything about it.

I mistakenly thought "gently caress it, maybe he's changed", and had a roll with him the other day. He managed to throw an armbar up that nearly bust my arm. I thought "gently caress's sake", slapped and tapped to go again (still loads of time left in the round, assumed he'd noticed my right arm was now vibrating). He immediately grabs my now-hosed arm, arm drags me, moves around into a triangle, flips it so he's mounted, then straight locks the hosed arm. Yeah, thanks mate. Couldn't have picked the other arm, no? So that's me back to flat-out refusing to roll with him.

I have no idea why our coach won't/can't sort it out, but it's got to the point where when everyone's milling around picking who to roll with, this guy will be sat on his own, like the fat kid at football practice.

So it's not just the heavy guys, or the new guys that are dangerous. It's the fast guys who don't give a gently caress about their training partners too!

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Yeah, rear end in a top hat's an rear end in a top hat, no matter what his level is. We had one guy in judo who was bigger than me and very very explosive and his technique wasn't bad either, but he forced everything through and he did the sweeping hip throw in a way that he would every time kick against my leg and hyperextend it. After 20 minutes I just left the practice.

What you need as a practitioner is a sense of what's going on: with striking if you receive a light low kick but it's in the right time and place, you have to recognize it and realize that if it would have been made with force, it would have been very succesful. Same with every other strike. When going easy, you can just ignore them and still try to land a hit and muscle through those situations, but it clearly demonstrates that you have no idea what's going on and besides being rear end in a top hat-ish and dangerous, it limits your learning very much. If you acknowledge the hit and realize what would have happened if it was a real match, you can plan accordingly and try to practice and do new things.

With grappling there are situations when you can just muscle through and freeze and stall and again, it's supposed to be practice and nobody will learn anything like that, plus your being a dick. We have several people in judo with who I end up having two thirds or three quarters of all the throws made in the sparring sessions and the only reason they get some throws in is because they can sometimes force stuff in with their strength. They get the feelings of "victory" and "fighting back", but none of them realize that they can't do that to people in their own or higher weight class. They just tap themselves on the back when throwing smaller guy three times when he threw you six times and then they go to do more bench presses. None of these people are dangerous, but I don't think they are too smart either.

I guess it's just a combination of ego and stupidity. Everybody has met people who buy fancy clothes and cars and walk like they own the world. Probably the same mentality on the mat or in the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
We have a few of those types at my MT gym as well. Our trainer does get on people for going too hard, so there's at least that. What sucks is to get paired up with someone that goes harder than I'd like, then have trouble learning because I'm too busy getting my rear end kicked. The gym atmosphere is strange though. Everyone is very friendly outside of sparring. Even the people that go too drat hard. It's hard to get upset in the moment when you know that after sparring, the person is actually a nice guy. Since we are all in the upper level classes, we're kind of like a small family.

Oh, also, if you spar with 12oz gloves, gently caress you!

Story time: We had a few guys and gals on our gym's fight team training to fight in an upcoming show a few weeks ago. In literally the last week before the event during a sparring session, one of the girls fighting in the event got clocked hard in the eye by another guy on the fight team - fighting in the same event - with at least ~30-40 pounds on her. And, he was wearing 12oz gloves. The aftermath? The girl suffered a fractured eye socket. It wasn't anything serious, it looked like a nasty black eye more than anything.

But, the doctor told her that she should not fight/spar for at least two months, which meant she had to withdraw from the event. The event she trained hard for. And it was only one week away! Needless to say, our trainer was livid! So as a public shaming / PSA, he had us all put our gloves out in front of him. He went down the row of gloves and called out anyone that had gloves less than 14oz. He also ripped into all of us for sparring too hard during a taper down week. Various forms of "what the gently caress are you people doing?!" and "sparring is not a goddamn fight!"

Our gym has a few "enforcer" types that are almost father/mother figures. If they see a person straight beating up on newbies or people way smaller/weaker than them, the enforcers will handle it. For that poor guy that put the other fight team member out of commission, the enforcers were practically lining up to kick the dude's rear end when it was sparring/clinch practice time.

• Locked thread