Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Nierbo posted:

Can you hang a bag in your basement or something?

There's a bag in my gym, it's terrible but it's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Does the gym have a pay-per-class pricing option? At this point, I pay 10 all-day passes at a time and don't worry about how quickly I use them up.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

kimbo305 posted:

Does the gym have a pay-per-class pricing option? At this point, I pay 10 all-day passes at a time and don't worry about how quickly I use them up.

Not officially but it has happened when I speak to the owner next time I'm in I'm going to ask if I can pay for the occasional class when I can make it.
He has done it for other's I believe.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Nierbo posted:

Also I'm in danger of never grappling in a gi again. No gi is insanely fun and a little more practical too.

Im the opposite, used to do almost all no gi, now I like gi better. Getting a good grip and controlling somebody is satisfying, plus Im getting older and super hard scrambles are losing their appeal. And if you live in a place where its cold and people wear jackets, gi is plenty practical if you're talking self-defense!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

Im the opposite, used to do almost all no gi, now I like gi better. Getting a good grip and controlling somebody is satisfying, plus Im getting older and super hard scrambles are losing their appeal. And if you live in a place where its cold and people wear jackets, gi is plenty practical if you're talking self-defense!

I agree with all of these things.

To them I add that I am an over thinker, and to be able to snap down a grip and hold someone in place for a few seconds is a nice option. I can take a quick breather, assess the situation, and figure out what I need to do.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I'm also coming off of doing no-gi almost exclusively the past few years and falling back in like with the gi. As an old fucker w crunchy shoulders, I also find the extra padding when inverting etc to really go a long way towards reducing the soft tissue pounding.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

plus Im getting older and super hard scrambles are losing their appeal.

this. i'm too stubborn to do old man brackets, and the only way to keep up with the 20 year-olds is with my death grips.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Old man strength is totally a thing, and gi gripping is a great way to mask that you're using it. Similar trick for nogi is to stay loose until you get the opportunity to punch your choking arm super deep and land a quick finish.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So my university has Judo and Kyokushin Karate. I've read a little about Judo, but what's the consensus on Kyokushin Karate? And which one would you guys choose recommend between the two, and why?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

-Blackadder- posted:

So my university has Judo and Kyokushin Karate. I've read a little about Judo, but what's the consensus on Kyokushin Karate? And which one would you guys choose recommend between the two, and why?

Judo if you want to throw people and not get punched in the ribs, Kyokushin if you want to hit people. Kyokushin karate is a legit sport and some seriously tough guys do it.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 15, 2015

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Judo if you want to throw people and not get punched in the ribs, Kyokushin if you want to hit people. Kyokushin karate is a legit sport and some seriously tough guys do it.

If I was 10 years younger, I would love to start Kyokushin.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

That actually seems like it might be a complementary pairing

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Do you like plodding foot work , bruised sternums and head kick KO's that come from out of nowhere ?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
With all the info on head trauma kykokushin has moved up in my book for good ideas for Hobbyists. Yeah getting head kicked isn't good but it's better than 26 brain rattling jabs a couple times a week. Or touch sparring where you aren't building much ability outside the sport specific arena.

I would do kykokushin if it where available and wish I had spent my youth doing that instead of tkd (dad didn't want me getting hit in the head)

Also I think dropping a guy with a bare knuckle liver punch is perhaps the most bad rear end of possible martial arts things one could do.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So is Kyokushin legit? I mean, from my perspective it looks like traditional karate with full contact sparring thrown in. The style seems limited by the fact that it apparently refuses to evolve outside of it's traditional stances, footwork, hand placement, etc like Boxing/Muay Thai has. Kyokushin also looks like it relies heavily on individual physicality. A 6'2' 275lb guy throwing straight punches and front kicks are gonna hurt regardless. But I'm not that size.

And no head punching? That's good for the aforementioned head trauma issue, but otherwise seems limiting.

I was actually looking for a good boxing/mma or BJJ place in my area but I ended up moving to a smaller town so options here are more limited.

So what would you guys say would be more useful in a real alive situation? Do you Judoka feel like you would have no problem flipping a guy onto his back in a spontaneous bar fight? What style is better for a smaller guy?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 15, 2015

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Kyokushin, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdV2tvv1u3I

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

So what would you guys say would be more useful in a real alive situation?

A good pair of running shoes and some serious interval work.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

So is Kyokushin legit? I mean, from my perspective it looks like traditional karate with full contact sparring thrown in. The style seems limited by the fact that it apparently refuses to evolve outside of it's traditional stances, footwork, hand placement, etc like Boxing/Muay Thai has. Kyokushin also looks like it relies heavily on individual physicality. A 6'2' 275lb guy throwing straight punches and front kicks are gonna hurt regardless. But I'm not that size.

And no head punching? That's good for the aforementioned head trauma issue, but otherwise seems limiting.

I was actually looking for a good boxing/mma or BJJ place in my area but I ended up moving to a smaller town so options here are more limited.

So what would you guys say would be more useful in a real alive situation? Do you Judoka feel like you would have no problem flipping a guy onto his back in a spontaneous bar fight? What style is better for a smaller guy?

There's not much that's all that traditional about kyokushin, it was developed in the 50's. The stances/footwork/etc all make sense for competing with the kyokushin ruleset. A kyokushin guy will get his rear end kicked by a boxer in a boxing match, and a boxer will get his rear end kicked by a kyokushin guy in a kyokushin match. If you want to learn to fight with the least restrictive ruleset possible, do MMA.

As for what's useful in a "real alive situation", 1) read the op and 2) don't get into bar fights

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 15, 2015

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I've done MA for years and been in the thread multiple times over the years, I've heard and given the "running is the best real world martial art" line various times so I don't need to hear it, I asked that question because like most serious people I don't want to waste time on bullshido MA. They don't have MMA, Boxing, Muay Thai or BJJ in my area so I wanted something that was comparable.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

I've done MA for years and been in the thread multiple times over the years, I've heard and given the "running is the best real world martial art" line various times so I don't need to hear it, I asked that question because like most serious people I don't want to waste time on bullshido MA. They don't have MMA, Boxing, Muay Thai or BJJ in my area so I wanted something that was comparable.

Kyokushin is not bullshido. Andy Hug was a kyokushin guy who beat the gently caress out of lots of people in K1 back in the day. Bas Rutten and GSP also have kyokushin backgrounds.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 15, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Also oyama (thee kyokushin founder) would fight bulls and poo poo. Images and bad video abound.

Judo is practiced against resisting opponents. It's legit. I've tossed fully resisting people before while roughhousing.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Kyokushin is not bullshido.

Well that's what I was wondering, I never took Judo or Kyokushin, so I don't have any experience with how comparable they are to MMA/Boxing/Muay Thai/BJJ. Obviously they both have a lot of alive training which is key. And one is grappling based and the other striking based. And that's pretty much all I know about them. Though I've heard that Judo is pretty good. I wanted to know if one was more suited toward smaller guys like me, for example, I was never very good at throwing people, especially bigger people, which most guys are. So maybe striking would suit me better? And I wanted to know if Kyokushin had efficient stances, footwork, strikes etc or it it was just McDojo style Karate with sparring thrown in and the biggest guy wins because he can throw a forward stance reverse punch the hardest. Basically, that kind of stuff and hearing from people doing it how they felt about their experience, etc.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

-Blackadder- posted:

Well that's what I was wondering, I never took Judo or Kyokushin, so I don't have any experience with how comparable they are to MMA/Boxing/Muay Thai/BJJ. Obviously they both have a lot of alive training which is key. And one is grappling based and the other striking based. And that's pretty much all I know about them. Though I've heard that Judo is pretty good. I wanted to know if one was more suited toward smaller guys like me, for example, I was never very good at throwing people, especially bigger people, which most guys are. So maybe striking would suit me better? And I wanted to know if Kyokushin had efficient stances, footwork, strikes etc or it it was just McDojo style Karate with sparring thrown in and the biggest guy wins because he can throw a forward stance reverse punch the hardest. Basically, that kind of stuff and hearing from people doing it how they felt about their experience, etc.

I'm small. Few judo throws require strength to execute properly, and many are actually easier to execute on a larger opponent than on a smaller one.

Best bet is to visit both clubs and decide which you like better.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

Both sports have weight classes, so neither is "better" for smaller guys. It just depends on what you enjoy more.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Being smaller is always a disadvantage. Sorry, life isn't fair. But you will probably live longer, bigger people tend to die younger. At least, that's what I tell myself after every class.

Hip throw a big untrained guy or liver punch him, if you train against resisting opponents you are going to have a very good chance of winning whatever scenario you'd like to pick. I would check our both schools and pick the one you enjoy the most.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Xguard86 posted:

Also I think dropping a guy with a bare knuckle liver punch is perhaps the most bad rear end of possible martial arts things one could do.

Everyone who trains martial arts should have the experience of getting stopped by a liver shot and stopping someone with one.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I already got my shoulder dislocated and I got farted on my face yesterday by a new guy.

So, no thanks.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

I already got my shoulder dislocated and I got farted on my face yesterday by a new guy.

So, no thanks.

it's me, i'm the new guy who is always farting, will adjust diet

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

To be fair to the new guy, I did put my knee in his belly so he would stay put like a good boy and not roll to take the omoplata.

I still tapped out because i was laughing so hard.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Both sports have weight classes, so neither is "better" for smaller guys. It just depends on what you enjoy more.

Not exactly true. Judo's weight classes were added fairly late into the game because the IOC demanded them, not because Judo needs them. And in practice it's often considered advantageous to be the shorter man because being lower to the ground makes it easier to slip under and throw people. Being lighter is definitely never better, but Judo is, in my opinion, one of the most welcoming contact sports for people of all bodytypes. 67+ throws and you only need a handful to have a solid toolkit, definitely possible to find a set that works for you, no matter how you're built. The best advice is still 'do whatever you enjoy most' of course, but you gotta give credit where credit is due

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 16, 2015

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Everyone who trains martial arts should have the experience of getting stopped by a liver shot and stopping someone with one.

No thanks. I've only been completely stopped by a punch once, and that was when I slipped into the path of one and just about knocked myself out on it... Would not like to feel the body shot equivalent.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

A Wry Smile posted:

Not exactly true. Judo's weight classes were added fairly late into the game because the IOC demanded them, not because Judo needs them. And in practice it's often considered advantageous to be the shorter man because being lower to the ground makes it easier to slip under and throw people. Being lighter is definitely never better, but Judo is, in my opinion, one of the most welcoming contact sports for people of all bodytypes. 67+ throws and you only need a handful to have a solid toolkit, definitely possible to find a set that works for you, no matter how you're built. The best advice is still 'do whatever you enjoy most' of course, but you gotta give credit where credit is due

Yes, this is why the most dominant judoka in recent memory is a lithe, compact 6'8" 290 lbs

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

There are plenty of legendary big and small Judoka. Riner's success doesn't take away from anyone else.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

A Wry Smile posted:

There are plenty of legendary big and small Judoka. Riner's success doesn't take away from anyone else.

It's still ridiculous to say that judo doesn't need weight classes. Without them, competition would be essentially off limits for a huge majority of practitioners.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 16, 2015

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Judo was a competitive art for 82 years prior to the addition of weight classes to appease the IOC

E: I actually might not be exactly right with that number, I was just going off of the first Olympic event in '64. Anyway, 80+ years of competition as irrefutable evidence that Judo doesn't need weight classes (compared to only 50 years with them, btw). My understanding is that the weight classes were actually created as part of a larger political battle over Judo's visual aesthetics and primary governing bodies

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 16, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You weigh 150 lbs. A 250 lb man has side control. If you don't get out in 20 sec, you lose.

That's what open weight judo is like for the small guy.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

"There's no weight classes in the street." --BJ Penn

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I guess baseball gloves aren't really necessary either if we're going by how they did poo poo in the prehistoric era.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Nope, not wasting my time on that one, thanks for caring though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

VulgarandStupid posted:

"There's no weight classes in the street." --BJ Penn

While feverishly stuffing his face full if chicken salad