Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
I've met Master Toddy when I was in thailand and he was a nice guy, but my understanding is that he built a great reputation but now is using it as a cash cow from the Thai fighters and teachers at my gym and stadium: a student who once trained at my old MT school was an instructor in one of Toddy's gyms, yet my teachers felt that he was at best intermediate (implying that I was better than him after 3-4 months training MT full time in thailand) and that apparently was no exception for the quality of the instruction in his gyms.

He tried to recruit my friend to become one of his Tuff Girls but it was strongly hinted by Thais that there are apparently sexual favours involved...

rhazes fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Use glory holes instead!

The Beach Cities Krav Maga video looks like movie fight choreography.. to me, every attacker is "countered" flawlessly, and it looks like the force used in those "attacks" seems on the order of 10-20% if there is actual contact involved, and most of it is simulated. It seems more of a watered down, ISRAELI MILITARY cardio martial arts. Around 0:42 seconds is the most egregious: *Gets out of hold, turns around and strikes air near attacker four times, who promptly cringes in fear and is incapacitated*

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Use glory holes instead!

Can anyone recommend a mouthguard for muaythai? The last one I bought was awful, it was a top and bottom combined one piece with small holes in between, and difficult to breathe with. I've heard shockdoctor mentioned here often... but right now I went back to using a dental one for my upper teeth instead anyways (I grind my teeth while sleeping.) Really stoked, I'm going back to Thailand for 5 months with one of my goals being training MT again!

I would also be grateful for recommendations on protein powder, it's extremely expensive in Thailand (something like a 300-400% markup over buying online in NA/Europe) and probably not good quality. I'm not picky and don't buy into the crazy marketing pseudoscience I see on some of the packaging. I guess that's more of a W&W question though, but I think there's enough crossover to not be offtopic :).

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Use glory holes instead!

Guilty posted:

Get a guard in thai land, it's so much cheaper over there, and if it's crap just buy a new one.

Generally, bring your old equipment to thailand, run it into the loving ground, leave with new equipment

That awful mouthguard I bought was actually bought in Thailand last time.. I actually lost my dental mouthguard and was using a cheapie wannabe-dental boil & bite, since I lost both my dental coverages when I finished my degree and my dad retired.

My equipment's pretty much all Twins that I bought there and it's in great shape, my fitness at home has been woeful aside from setting up a 6' bag in my garage. I spent two months in central america in the jungle without electricity which didn't help :(, and now the whole garage area near my bag is full of junk, not enough to even throw a thai kick, but enough with the excuses. Probably going to pick up a bunch more stuff in thailand like a head guard or thai pads when I'm there.

What kind of gloves do your gyms recommend for muay thai? My gym in Thailand uses 12oz for regular bagwork, 18-20oz for sparring, tiny grappling gloves (I think 6 or 8oz?) for pure clinching, but the professional/amateur fighters tended to use those grappling gloves for sparring bagwork (I'm guessing because their technique and wrists are strong and they won't jam their thumb throwing a terrible hook like I occasionally do.) Seems a little counter-intuitive compared to what I've seen discussed here..

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Use glory holes instead!

So, I've exclusively trained muay thai so my punching is noticeably lacking. I'm trying to remedy this, my jab especially seems to be quite.. tame (my cross is fine, though, and I think my hook/uppercut are acceptable.) Anyone have any tips for some jab drills other than moving around a bag just throwing jabs over.and.over?

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Use glory holes instead!

Wow, I had no idea there were other Vancouver goons posting here.. I've been overseas for more than half of the last year which has kind of ruled out a membership at a gym... but I was leaning towards Kai Singthong if and when I know for certain whether I'll be in Vancouver for a good while.. too bad the location is absolutely awful to transit to (from Surrey.), so I was just working at home with my own 6" MT banana bag.

I looked at Kel Lee's/Posener's Pankration, but not showing fees up front doesn't give me a good impression at all: Kai Singthong's awful website is at least endearing and doesn't make it appear oriented as a business-first entity like Posener's.

Hopefully training on my own after ~275hrs/4 months of training in Thailand isn't ruining the basics of my technique..

I only use Twins 12oz gloves for bag work, but I've always sparred with gargantuan 18-20oz gloves. Things are bloody anchors.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Use glory holes instead!

Christoff posted:

I was doing some google-fu and someone mentioned that they're only used in Muay Thai fights to warm up the ankles and get taken off while the match goes on. And that otherwise it's just to look like some Muay Thai tough guy. And simply for the padding.

I use then while training religiously, because the slap of the impact of the bag on skin seems much worse where there's incidental contact with the softer part of my foot/instep. Maybe I'm just a huge wuss.. the amount of padding is laughable, though.

Guilty posted:

Kai Singthong sends fighters to major fights and stadiums in thailand, along with having connections to two very good camps in thailand which they heavily encourage all their fighters to go. One of the gyms in thailand trained yasuhito shirasu, the no-name japanese fighter who came out to beat Yodsaenklai in a unanimous decision. The school pumps out professional fighters. Master singthon is pretty much the head of the Canadian Muay Thai organization.

If you want pure muay thai, kai singthong is one of the best in canada. Maybe if you want MMA you'd go to Posener's Pankration. But seriously...

Pankration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXonwrQTwuk
Singthong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZzYCi6woyI

What are the Thai gyms Kai Singthong recommends? Just curious if I've heard of them. My summer's quite busy (I'm overseas in Africa until May) but I might try to fit in Kai Singthong if I can, it sucks I might be leaving Vancouver indefinitely in late August or September.. makes it hard to want to commit.

I wouldn't consider myself talented at all, but I can pick apart the shadow boxing of the Posener's guys.. I'm assuming these are not beginner students, so where's the sparring? And holy cow, some of those shadow kicks are absolutely awful, unless their opponent is a stationary heavy bag, absolutely no area of attack. And regarding elbow strikes in shadow, your guard with your non-striking hand should be up high to defend against elbows yourself, should it not? I'm not trying to knock down your gym PelirrojoLoco, because those MT guys could just be some random new students who wanted to look tough and post on youtube, but this is what I'm seeing. And belt colors are a red flag in MT... MT is by nature I think, a very decentralized sport, with pretty much every fighter I've seen in Thailand one kind of champion or another, the World Muaythai Council doesn't really have much legitimacy (and I trained at the gym affiliated with it, the government and the military?)

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Use glory holes instead!

Christoff posted:

As far as anklets. Are they really needed? I got the compression wrap because I have a bum left ankle. I probably won't even always wear it and use it more for jiu jitsu. I know you guys mentioned anklets for the slap/sting on the bag when you hit the wrong spot.

For me they're absolutely mandatory. I'll kick a bag that feels like a ton of bricks, and wince because I'm not wearing my little cotton protectors. It's not the wrong spot at all: your foot will wrap around the bag and slap it.. it's just totally unnecessary broken capillaries and inflammation.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Use glory holes instead!

mewse posted:

This thing, I guess you drill it into a stud and it swivels. You want to put one of those heavy duty springs on the chain between the bag and the mount so that it doesn't get shocked as much.

I have this mounted onto a beam in my garage, unfortunately with a 6" MT banana bag, so no clearance for a spring. I replaced the nuts and bolts with much larger ones (cost me maybe $5) to improve the strength and used LockTite to prevent them from unwinding... but it works fantastic.. some noise in the rest of the house though (or so I'm told :black101:). I don't imagine it'll fall down or break my house.. and besides, I'm (only?) 70kg.

I'll take a pic later, actually, I guess I should share with you guys something of note.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Use glory holes instead!

It took me nearly two months of training 24 hours a week to get into the advanced class at my MT school, so I think yes, it is unreasonable.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Use glory holes instead!

Unless you're a natural and god's gift to martial arts, you'll be laughing at other beginners who are at your current level, when you do get to the level where you're ready to spar. It was as if they were toddlers learning how to walk when I saw new students doing basic technique in front of a mirror.

When you do start to spar, of course it's completely different- the first time you get swarmed and overwhelmed you probably WILL turn your head and cower (I certainly did), but having the fundamentals of technique down pat are really important too.

You absolutely can get hurt sparring soft. I'll share two of my injuries I got fairly early on in sparring MT.

First was me kicking my sparring partner, a frenchman with +25kg on me, except he moved and I didn't adjust my strike, I connected with my instep/foot and despite wearing pads, it hurt like hell and I was limping for a few weeks (had to wear leg protectors to kick bags and stuff for even the incidental weak contact on the foot).

Then, after I was relatively better from that, while with my teacher, I telegraphed my right kick horribly to the midsection, my teacher moved and caught it, then kicked my left leg to trip me, which gave way, and I basically put all my weight onto my left ankle which rolled because my balance was utter poo poo, resulting in a sprain, that kept me out of training for another two weeks or so(memory's hazy.)

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Use glory holes instead!

Have to agree with the other posters responses. Injuries will probably happen.. and being inexperienced will only increase the likelihood. That and obtaining bad habits that work well when you're going soft but not so great in a more competitive, ie. fight, environment.

I was taking 1000mg of Ibuprofen and 2000mg of tylenol a day because of overtraining and training through injuries (not so good on my liver or kidneys, yeah). In my opinion traditional Muay Thai fighters overtrain and overfight, hence why their bodies and careers are done by the time they're 30.

I'm not a big establishment, 'well this is how they've done it so it's probably that way for a reason' type of person, but my school in Thailand had students who went on to fight at Lumpini and Rajadamnern (including a black guy, so you know it wasn't just oh hey look at the semi competent farang/westerner (white guy) fighting in our national sport, isn't that cool!!!! [sidebar: Thais can be incredibly racist and sexist]) so I think my school's reason that sparring doesn't start right away might have some merit.

Before sparring, you should have quite a bit of experience with thai pads so you can learn how to control where you're striking as well.. nothing like your kick riding up someone's forearm and pulling your groin (yes i suck)!

On a side note, Ryan Gosling filmed parts of his new movie (Only God Forgives) and trained MT for it at my gym! I wonder if it'll be as ridiculously distracting seeing scenes as watching the latest Underworld movie that was filmed at the university I did my undergrad at.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Use glory holes instead!

I did four months of muay thai just on the outskirts of the Bangkok metro as well.. wouldn't say my accomodation was great, but the location was good if your true intention is training and not philandering. No tourists about, so culture shock too, as there aren't any tourists so english is a rarity. I liked being far enough out of the city that I could easily go in for a night or weekend to party on my days off, (or when I was injured ;), but not too close that it'd be a common occurrence.

Most of the muay thai places are in pretty touristy areas, Phuket, Pattaya, Ko Tao, Ko Pha Ngan, Chiang Mai.. which as I said can be a hindrance depending on your focus. Thailand is dirt cheap everywhere you'll go. I'd say $800-1000 for accommodation, food, a few nights out, and training costs for a month would be very hard to go over budget on. On the low end I had a friend who was spending $150 a month for accommodation at the school, in a non AC communal room.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Use glory holes instead!

This may seem really obvious, but don't wear shoes while training. Barefoot, or the cotton abrasion protectors. They're like anchors on your feet (can be good when you're stronger and can easily do 200-500 kicks in succession on a bag), but more importantly, they mess up your balance and stride, and act as padding which lets you kick with your foot or instep instead of your shin and develop bad habits.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Use glory holes instead!

Christoff posted:

I wonder how much Muay Thai is going to blow up when this new Ryan Gosling movie comes out

I already bragged about this, but it's being filmed at the gym I lived/trained at there.. apparently he's pretty chill in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Use glory holes instead!

Christoff posted:

Yeah, I think I remember reading your post. I'm not complaining about it or anything. The dude is just real famous and I think we'll see a mini-explosion. The only movies that come to mind involving MT that were semi-popular were Tony Jaa's

When I was in the theater waiting to see Drive, I was flipping through the theater magazine and cringed when I heard he was going to Thailand to learn muay thai. I said to my friend 'SERIOUSLY, is going to thailand to train the thing to do now? Crap.'

I bet we will see it become a bit more popular though. I still haven't even seen Ong Bak and I'm a little embarrassed about it.

• Locked thread