Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Reading about all the cool Judo info makes me lament the crappy martial arts nexus I live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mobile, Alabama. I trained in Northern Shaolin and Sanshou for years but would like to add some formal grappling to my skills. Doing BJJ here and there has helped, I'm not a total grappling noob.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Omglosser posted:

BJJ is pretty common in my down, there are like 2 in my little town, 3 in the little town south of here. Actually a guy who fought Uriah Faber recently comes from my town. But no judo for 50 miles. My first martial art was a jujutsu style that was just judo with karate striking. But all the teachers of it have either moved away or retired. :(

If you're not creeped out by strangers on the internet, next time I go visit my mom down there we could maybe throw each other around a bit.

Not creeped out at all. I like to learn from new folks. Be aware I'm a tiny punch man. 5'8, 150 on a good day. But I do what I can.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Our "rival" school in the area was a TKD school posing as Kung-Fu. Those guys would come in throwing these light kicks and we would destroy their legs with roundhouses. Good times. Though I don't have any doubts that guys trained properly in TKD could be nasty.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm really starting to struggle with my size. 5'9, 160 and it seems like everyone I ever get to spar in muay thai/bjj with is over 6' and 200 pounds.

I know I could totally benefit from weight lifting. But I can never find a program I like. I know at my old gym two of the guys I sparred with were 6'5 or 6'6. One of them I could actually hold my own with, the other just covered up and did push kicks.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ligur posted:

The basic Savate defense against a push kick is also throwing the kick aside (basically just whack the leg the gently caress off your face real hard) and throwing a counter kick or go inside with a punch past the now slapped-away-leg. With quick hands you can deflect the push kick with your forearm while simultaneously stepping in and continuing to strike with the same hand you deflect the kick with with the same fluent movement while your foe is still unbalanced due to your powerful slappage of his stupid kickleg.

Or just sidestepping the kick if you are really fast or rather, can read your opponent really well. If you sidestep to the correct angle and in, you now have several options to now attack his weak side.

Me? I just usually get hit in the belly, ignore it and fire back if I'm not thrown away by too much... duh.

This is awesome I've been wanting to ask some questions of a Savate practitioner.

Could you tell me of any drills or provide youtube links for kicking that you would do in a normal class? I'm looking to add some things when I coach some buddies on their striking to mix it up a bit from the norm.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The most frustrating thing for me of all is the fact no one else in my group really like to strike with me so they always try to wrestle on me. Being the smallest means that mega sucks.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Sir, that was an outstanding post and hit on everything I needed. I thank you.

I'm thinking about gearing up to compete again so this is gonna be extremely helpful.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Well played not destroying the guy. He was just wastes and dumb.

Your body responded well considering the guy could have done anything. Pulled a knife, had friends jump on you, etc. It's truly a dangerous situation.

But at those times your training and muscle memory will take over. Once again, good on ya for doing the right thing.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Eh, by Cung Le foremost, and then Pat Barry and Johnson peripherally. Sanshou is a ruleset that cans showcase things from CMAs, yes, but it's more or less a sport. A lot of -stan countries and places in the middle east put out good Sanshou fighters, and obviously they train just the sport. I don't think a Shaolin monk would be able to meld his traditional training into Sanshou tactics, but if he did, that would be really cool.

I don't really care for the man anymore but my old Sifu was an old school monk who blended sanshou with traditional teachings. You gained a lot of benefit from practicing in both programs. Our head kickboxing instructor was a Sanshou world champion from Egypt, I guess I never really connected the Middle East/North Africa connection with the sport.

Tonight I'm going to go do a try out class at an MMA school I've been eying. Hopefully it's what I'm looking for, everything looks good so far. Link to their website.
http://portcitymma.com/

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The gym I went to last night works the same way. They usually have some form of grappling and striking each night with a specific MMA class during the week.

I ended up signing up. Good atmosphere, no nonsense coach/owner.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I guess that is a good example of that situation where you just can't walk away from a confrontation. At least a story like that gives a positive image instead of two guys beating a robber senseless.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I rolled last week with a teen at my gym who when he had me in guard used his puberty retard strength to just squeeze the hell out of me. Eventually he got tired and I took the back and gently sunk the RNC, but I was still sore all through the back and neck for my trouble.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Got to go to a BJJ seminar by Adriano Lucio. It was awesome, totally worth 25 bones. He showed us some good technique for controlling someone using butterfly guard, a good pass to side control and slick collar choke from side control. Can't wait to see him out those way again.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ligur posted:

Hey! How's saying TKD practitioners drop their hands make me sound like a sociopath :D

They DO.

This is true. The ones around this area from McDojos also tend to throw really fast but weak kicks. They look almost horrified the first time your drive a shin into their thigh.

On another note. I've been going to organized BJJ classes for almost a month and keep asking myself why I wasn't doing this before. It feels so good to just know the basics instead of trying to learn from a book.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Since I haven't pimped our "Martial Arts Goons" Fitocracy group in a while... We're up to 59 members with probably around half regularly posting their workouts (the generic Goon group is around 2,000 members last I checked). I still think it's cool to take this thread a step further and actually see and discuss people's workouts. Here's the group invite link. Our group code is "*EVVT", though I have no idea if you actually need that.

I'm gonna second this. Gives me a little more motivation to hit the gym and train even if work has me a little tired.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

KingColliwog posted:

So there's a guy at our club that came in with an attitude. He likes to go full strenght and claim he'S so much better than "x" and "y" person that are higher rank than him and he should get a better belt (he's yellow). But what he's doing is basically just beating girls and small guys that are way weaker than him physically.

Teacher sent me on a mission to put him in his place. On the ground it was pretty fun just choking him with triangle chokes mostly or getting a good kesa and putting a lot of pressure so he wasn't enjoying himself. He strangely tried to avoid me all night after that. But I wasn't feeling so good about trying to beat him silly standing up because injuries come fast... I did a couple of harai maki komi and I think he got the message after cause he didn't want to fight anymore.

I really don't like to do that kind of thing usually but the guy was really being a misogynistic rear end in a top hat so it was warranted. Have any of you guys done that or has it happened at your club? How did you guys deal with assholes? It's the first one since I'm in this club.

I think I've seen it happen at every place I've trained. One time our master hired a new office assistant who started kickboxing with us, he had some experience before and it seems when there was low supervision he would beat up the early teen kids in the class. It finally came to light when he broke their nose and was told to get the hell out. So he was a jerk.

Another time there was a gent claiming credentials as an Army Ranger and pretty much telling us we were nothing compared to him. So when it came time for sparring he was asked if he wanted to and jumped in. A few moderate leg kicks and the tears started to flow and he never came back. We eventually found out he failed out of Ranger school and liked to pretend.

I'm not sure what engenders dick waving amongst people you're supposed to train with and grow better with/from. Beyond friendly joking it's kind of childish.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I guess it could always be that some folks have the wrong impression and think if they come in and beat down the guys already training it will get them something special.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Re-post from the grappling thread.

I'm having trouble on where to go from a successful sprawl. I just kind of hang on and try to come up with something and lose position in the process. I won't get to see my wrestling coach for a few days and wanted to see if you guys had some advice to give.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Tonight I had to roll with a very young teen girl tonight. As expected she was very timid with any kind of grappling with me (I'm 23). Does anyone have experience getting someone like that to loosen up and just roll? Or is it going to just have to happen on is own? I

I just kind of felt like she wasn't learning anything because she wasn't comfortable with me and I felt bad about it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

I can eat pretty much anything except hot dogs if I have two whole hours to digest it. It helps that my stomach usually goes into panic mode about 20 minutes before training, or exactly 25 seconds before I have to leave the house. I never have to worry about constipation so long as I'm training, at least.

With the exception of hot dogs. gently caress sausages and training.

That's how my body has always prepped for physical activity. It's like it's trying to expel anything extra that could slow me down.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm heading to NAGA next week in gi and no-gi novice divisions, can anyone give me any advice since is my first time?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Sadly I figured there would be sand bagging. The take down thing I most certainly need to do. But more often than not I get the better of people my weight and skill in takedown.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Until you run into a wrestler or Judoka who is just starting BJJ and throws you hard directly onto your back, that is.

This, this is going to suck. I wish there were a good judo club here. I would join up in no time. Sanshou and Muay Thai will aid me none in this man hugging gauntlet.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

gimpsuitjones posted:

If it smells like a lot of sweaty people have been doing hard work in it, that is a good sign

When I took a break I would end up around people after various workouts and get all nostalgic because of that smell.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Anybody looking for gear I wanted to suggest a place I've been shopping at a while. I've gotten a few pairs of shorts and rash guards and they have survived me pretty well. Had one of our heavyweights snatch hold of my rash guard rolling and stretched it ridiculously and it snapped right back.

combativesgear.com

It also is neat if you like military camo since they make rash guards, mma gloves and shorts in those patterns. The coupon code PINTO gets you 10% off your order. Fast shipping is also a plus and great customer service.

I was also wondering if anyone had tips for getting the darce choke off of a front head lock. I've been trying but I don't think I'm landing it properly.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

That is a good link to have, I absolutely despise the MMA 'look' that the UFC's marketing machine has created.

It's good to see a place that sell functional clothes for MMA that are blank. I don't want shorts that say URB4N WAR-RYOR F1GHT CL0TH1NG in shiny gold and have some big lovely eagle on them or whatever, I want a pair of black goddamn shorts that won't fall off and have one of those elastic strips for kicking.

I also hate it when a gi has too much on it, it's a pity you can't get the really high quality gis in just a plain white without patches. Unless somebody can direct me to some completely baller gi brand that I'm unaware of.

Maybe I should start a clothing label or something.

That's why I like them a lot. Nothing flashy, no crazy skulls and samurai crap. Just functional and durable gear. Plus I was a total sucker for that digi cam gi.

Also, Yuns, that explanation on chokes from the front headlock was excellent. Thank you very much.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Drewjitsu posted:

Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR7_80vNCbE

You can also start it with a 3/4 nelson to get them onto their side, too.

The visual representation is really helpful. I should be able to hit that fairly often.

Last night I had to roll with a guy who was at least 300 pounds. I'm 150 on a good day. Thankfully he was not very good at anything or I might have been crushed.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

gimpsuitjones posted:

I'm disappointed that their multicam rashguard isn't full multicam.

I guess they thought it was look weird. Usually though if you send them a message about it and they get some requests they make what you're looking for. I asked about a multicam rashguard before it was in their store and they decided to just put it on there that night instead of waiting to release it. It was pretty cool.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Lucificate posted:

Weird to see this pop up randomly in this thread considering FWB isn't a big town or anything.

I train there and I think another goon or two trains there as well. The BJJ instructors are Danny Ruiz (black belt/de la Riva) and Daniel Silva (black belt/de la Riva/Marcelo Grosso). Danny does MMA as well and heads up MMA instruction. We have many active amateur fighters on the MMA side and regularly compete in local BJJ tournaments. Danny is more about self defense, Daniel more about sport BJJ. they are legitimately skilled and roll with the class regularly. No "untouchable sensei master" stuff.

The BJJ classes and MMA classes are separate. Mostly gi, Fridays no gi. There are separate judo classes and if you intend to advance in belt rank in BJJ they require judo proficiency as well(Blue belt was 10 throws or so). Separate wrestling classes once per week as well run by a guy named Eric Flinchum and he is a beast. Won NAIA 285lb class in 2007. He has only been training here a couple years but tests for his purple belt in a couple months and is phenomenal at BJJ.

Well this is getting detailed. I think its newbie friendly? There are no separate newbie classes but everyone will help you out (while tapping you out). You can come try it out for I think a week and see if you like it. I leave work in an hour to head there myself =)

Sweet more BJJ goons in the Gulf Coast. I live just over in Mobile and am really considering heading over for the tournament in Pensecola in two weeks. Too bad I'm kind of trash at gi compared to no-gi.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Welp. My elbow got popped by a straight armbar last night. Just an accident really. Time for the ice and NSAID's.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Had an awesome seminar last night with Helio Soneca. Focused on de la riva and berimbolo, which was totally new to me but really fun. I also got a new stripe from the whole deal. Soneca is also one of the most funny people ever.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I rock this one.

http://www.combativesgear.com/products/ACU-Camouflage-Pattern-GI.html

Represent that digi-cam. Helio Soneca thought it was awesome.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Kali11324 posted:

Speaking of bjj dress. In my gym I am the only guy who has a plain white gi with no patches. Everyone else has patches on their arms, legs, chests, backs and asses.
The other thing is, please wear a rash guard or tee shirt under your gi. My instructor doesn't and I keep my mouth shut about it , but please! I don't want ypu bare sweaty man bod rubbing up on me. Last night we were drilling top and bottom mount and tbis super nice but big and sweaty guy was on top of me and at one point we ended up with my face in his chest and I tapped. It was just too wet for me.

I dunno if I'm weird but I never usually notice sweat when I roll. The only time is when sweat literally drips in my mouth. But I've always seen it as just part of the game.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Went to a tournament this past weekend and popped a rib in the semi-finals match. Still won and went on to get smashed in the final because it hurt too bad.

I have to say this is the most awful injury I can say I've sustained. Any tips on how to handle this?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I had a medic check me out and it's just a cartilage thing. Thankfully. Just after my elbow healed to.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

KingColliwog posted:

Great, then just take a little time off (did the medic recommend something?) and then start slowly. I'd suggest asking someone to get you in a pin and slowly increase the pressure to see how it feels and you can decide if it's healed enough to get back to training. You might be able to drill stuff in 2 weeks but not be good enough for rolling so take it slowly.

Better take 3 week off now than be out for over a month because you went back too quickly.

Just some ice every now and again in case of swelling and NSAIDs. Just taking it easy. That's a good idea, I still plan to go and sit in on classes to absorb what I can. I will certainly miss rolling though :(

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Novum posted:

Indeed, it's been a long time since I've competed but I still remember how it all goes down. Way to go dude.

The only person I lost to the whole day was another team member who had a lot more experience than I did. It was a good feeling to see people from our gym sweep the top three of Featherweight Gi and No-gi.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hey guys I wanted to get a little advice.

I'm going to a tournament this weekend with my gym and since I'm hurt from the last one I won't be competing this time out. I'll be coaching, helping with warm ups and drilling techniques with people.

Does anyone have advice for me on coaching or just generally things I can do to help my team out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

niethan posted:

You'll probably be way less nervous in your next competition, at least that was my experience.

I find myself a little nervous right before the first match, then once I get through it the day is smooth.

But my first tournament I totally blew out my arms in the first match and was struggling after that.

picosecond posted:

I hope this hasn't been brought up but I'm afraid I haven't read the last hundred pages. Anyway, I've read a little about MCMAP, the US Marine Corps' fighting system -- I'd like to give it a shot without actually joining the Marines. Is it possible to get training in it, without being a soldier? If so, does anyone know who I might contact in the NYC area?

If I could ask, what intrigues you about what MCMAP teaches?

• Locked thread