Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Great OP! Should be easier for newcomers to navigate for a couple of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
To be fair, at that point GSP had no depth of vision.

Also, most people might not know poo poo about boxing

But most boxers don't know poo poo

(ps: I'm faketrolling don't be mad)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I bit clean through my own lower lip playing with rebreakable boards. Be careful, kids. Don't be retarded and hold them wrong and up against your face like your friend Bohemian Nights.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Congratulations on your blue belt, but is it common to get belts through seminars? I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I was in the same situation with my much younger cousins. They are both enrolled in a taekwondo class, and I was very skeptical about the entire thing so I went there to watch at some point. Yes, it was mostly bullshit, yes, I wish they could be tiny little armbar machines instead, but they seemed to be having fun and getting some good exercise, and depending on how old your children are, that might be the most important thing.

Also a camouflage belt sounds loving rad. I would wear a camouflage belt.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Judo has gotten a pretty good rep the last year or so when it comes to recommendations, but I think it's about a tie.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

HATE MONDAYS posted:

'really need to quit smoking'

You just need to be smoking the right things the right way! :v:

But yeah, those kind of places tend to attract a type of person that might not fit in a normal friendly environment. We had a muay-thai club that did some grappling that got shut down for being a hells angels front and experienced the same thing you did. But, between those that stuck around, those that didn't get thrown out for having violent assault on their records (cops called my instructor exactly one day after they'd been to their first training. I guess someone was under surveillance!) a couple of the guys actually turned out to be really nice, and have been training with us for a year or so now.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I can't speak for any other clubs, but the "no violent crimes"-bit is a part of our club charter. This is mostly so that we have a solid reason (not that we'd explicitly need one) to kick someone out if they're a violent douchebag. I mean, obviously, we're not bound by law or anything, and if a guy wants to train, and he has a violent assault charge from two decades ago and is a nice, stable and reformed guy, no-one is likely to tell him to get out.

Also, you don't want the negative press of a guy who beats people up on the street training with you, especially not if he goes out and does it again, regardless if he uses techniques he learned from you or not.

For instance, one of the guys we got a phone call about was an enforcer for the hell's angels, and he'd last been in jail less than a year prior, and had several other stints before that. The likelyhood of him being a repeat offender is just too big to be worth even considering giving a chance.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I don't really read grappling books, but your question reminds me of this article I read and enjoyed very much a while back: http://www.smallaxebjj.com/2009/04/04/mental-revelations-of-the-progressing-grappler/

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
A martial art where I use oxygen instead of muscles? Sign me up!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Paul Pot posted:

kickboxing/muaythai will probably burn the most calories

I imagine the kickboxing/muaythai would be more of an aerobic exercise than grappling, yeah. More moving around.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

KingColliwog posted:

gently caress I love triangling people.

Ughhh, I remember when I used to say this. It's a good thing we have a new thread. Somewhere along the way I've completely lost my triangle. I think it's stuck in some kind of failed ryan hall technique.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

ManicParroT posted:

I love triangles too! Squeeee!

I often hit a triangle on someone who's trying to pass my guard, but I don't always execute them well enough, so sometimes I'll be incapable of finishing from there. I've been working on moving from a triangle to an armbar, and I've had some real success with this, since sometime the guy'll be so focused on defending the triangle he won't always expect the armbar.

That is basically what I've had to do. I can get the position plenty, it's finishing it I struggle with. I've turned it into either armbars, or even more commonally, a mounted triangle. I seem to have a high percentage on that, for some reason.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

mewse posted:

I don't train. I've learned all of the vast secrets of my art. Prepare to die.

Finally a ninjitsu representative in the thread :shepface:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

henkman posted:

I love this sport.

Our Gay Sport.

I wish I knew what the appeal was, but I just can't quit it.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Congratulations! You should post fite vidjas.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Holy balls, that sucks, Adolfo. I really hope it works out for you. How did you get the injury in the first place?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Smegmatron posted:

How does that happen other than the dude having an inflated ego or a super tiny carotid?

I like to think that I tap whenever I need to, but I can also hang out in chokes for a pretty long time until I'm forced to tap, but I've still had a couple of times where I've passed out without consciously deciding that I'm not going to tap. Sometimes the blood choke just comes on so fast, you think you're still in the game, but you're actually gone.
The first time someone chocked me out completely was with a gi-choke, and I remember doing things to counter it that didn't actually happen. Apparently my brain made up a story on its own that had no root in what actually happened.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Jerome Louis posted:

Any of you guys ever train in Thailand for muay thai? I'm going there this summer for almost a month and am trying to decide which camp(s) I should train at.

I had a friend who trained at http://www.tigermuaythai.com/ in Phuket, and he liked it a lot.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I've definitely had several situations where I've been close to going out, where I manage to escape from a choke just as the walls start closing in. Even when you get out, if it was on tight enough you might need a second or two to fully recover as the blood blows back to your brain. It's pretty rad.

As an interesting note, one thing I do remember from passing out was that sound disappeared before visuals-- however, I'm not sure how much I trust this memory, as it could just be something my brain made up once I came to again.

E; I've been properly rocked from punches and such too, but the most interesting one was in the open class of a bjj competition, where a dude who had 60 pounds on me slammed me into the mat. I recovered almost instantly and fought on, but I recall sound cutting out and seeing nothing but TV-signal like white noise for what felt like a second. Seeing stars, I guess.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 27, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Heh, must have been a very light one, then. My head was completely fine afterwards. Guess I had a slight headache. But that was like.. almost two years ago now.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Last day in new york and last training at Marcelo Garcia's over. Kind of disappointed I didn't earn my blue belt while I was here, but welp, what can you do. Back to being a white belt forever, I guess.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

dokomoy posted:

Bohemian Nights - Where do you train? Have you or your school looked into becoming affiliated with someone? In addition to earning rank in a more legitimate fashion, getting access to high level jiu jitsu a couple times a year is going to be a big deal if you're training group consists of mostly beginner and mid-level guys.

Back home I train out of Tromsų Jujitsuklubb (Which is way up north in Norway), which is a traditional jujitsu club, albeit with a grappling focus. We do gradings in traditional jujitsu, and I've got a very colourful belt for TJJ, but for some reason I just don't care about tjj grades V:shobon:V
Also yeah, we've looked into getting an affiliation like some of the other smaller clubs around the country. One alternative is Roy Harris, but it would be even better if we could work out some deal with Trond Saksenvik's crew down in the capitol, but nothing solid has come from it so far.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I bought a new Gi just before leaving NYC, so I've got a pair of old white judo pants, and I'm going to colour the gently caress out of them.

Also, for my Megurubuddies, appearently it's a week old, but there's a new update, and it's loving awesome!

edit: link: http://kotonoha.monkey-pirate.com/2010/05/30/all-rounder-meguru/

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 2, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
So I'm currently in Pensacola, Florida, and I've been looking for a place nearby where I am (gulf breeze) to train. There's a couple of McDojos in the area, and this is my first encounter with this phenomenon since I did ninjitsu in my early teens. There's a family karate place driven by a very intense middle aged man with eyeliner who looks like he's incredibly high on coke, populated by mostly kids and old men and a terrible stick-figure like aikido instructor who looked more like a ADTRW goon than a martial arts black belt (wide black pants and all), and a tae-kwon-do place with more teenage black belts than there were members (paradox)-- at least the TKD sparring sessions looked pretty active, so if nothing else I'm sure they have great cardio--

But my biggest disappointment was a traditional jujitsu club some five minutes away from where I'm staying. I was told about this place by the taekwondo instructor. It was kind of interesting- as soon as I told him my BJJ/JJ background he seemed completely disinterested in having me join the class like he'd been pushing for prior in our conversation, and was only too eager to tell me where I could find a jujitsu club, so away I go. I spent maybe 30 seconds looking at this jujitsu class before I left. It was an overweight older lady teaching standing wristlocks to fat kids and retirees. This was apparently what represented a fusion between krav maga and DRAGON GOD jujitsu :(

There's apparently a gracie jujitsu place in Pensacola proper, but it's 20 minutes away by car, and being that I don't have a car or my driver's license (and that there is no public transportation in the city), I guess I'll have to make do with cardio. Which is fine, really, I ought to be running more anyway.

(ps: I know this post makes me sound like an rear end in a top hat. I know not everyone is looking for a martial art where they leave half the classes bleeding and/or in pain.)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

tarepanda posted:

A lot of dojo use hakama instead of black belts to show who's a teacher and who isn't. There's nothing goony about them; they're a part of the aikido uniform. I might be misreading your comment though.

He looked goony for other reasons than just the hakama.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
My problem with ninjitsu was that partly the arrogance from the instructor and the people I trained with in regards to the efficiency of the martial art and the ridicule of anyone who did martial arts with a focus on sports rather than the ART, and in part the fact that it mostly consisted of rolling and breakfalls interspersed with wristlocks and terrible, terrible striking. You'd have slow, horrible kicks meant to BREAK THROUGH THE CHEST ARMOR OF A SAMURAI.

To top it all off, it wasn't even good exercise, something even my fat fourteen year old self realised.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

melon cat posted:

The only thing a belt is good for is to hold your pants up. I wouldn't look into the whole "coloured belt merit" debate too deeply, man.

They're not even good for that, though. Most gi pants have strings in them these days!

The problem is competition levels. For my sake I can't compete at white belt level anymore because I've trained for too long, and I can't compete as a blue belt because I don't have one. I'm not going to award myself a blue belt because a) you wouldn't get away with it here, and b) it's lame.
It's a practical problem, not an ego one.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Invent a new type of sensory deprivation tank, where you're just relaxing and having a good time, and then out of nowhere a dude just comes out and starts loving wailing on you.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 11, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I've spent two weeks in Florida being fat and lazy. I can't wait to get home and start training again.
I was hoping to just run a little bit to keep myself active, but stifling heat and humidity mixes really badly with cardio for some reason.

(E: especially if you're used to running when it's 50f and overcast.)

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 13, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Xguard86 posted:

JJJ is such a ridiculous grab bag it comes down almost completely on who is teaching and what they are doing.

I can confirm this. I come from a full contact high TJJ club with very dedicated training partners, with grappling, striking, throws, takedowns and sparring every class-- compared to the TJJ club I mentioned a couple of posts ago, the difference is night and day.

You'll basically have to show up and check it out, but I have a feeling that nine out of ten times, like so many other TMA's, it'll be for kids or terrible.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Lucificate posted:

If you are still in Florida around Pensacola and looking for a place to do BJJ, you could pretty easily make the drive over to Capitao BJJ in Fort Walton Beach. We have guys who come from near Penscola, De Funiak Springs, etc. I myself make a 30 minute drive to go there.

Two BJJ black belts run the school - Danny Ruiz (under Ricardo De La Riva) and Daniel Silva (under Marcelo Grosso/De La Riva). Also a very active MMA program with 6-7 active fighters in local southeastern shows.

You can try it out for a week before joining.

No, Sadly, I've only just come back home to Norway from Pensacola today. I didn't really have a car available to me, which was the root of the problem. I knew there was even a gracie barra school there, but since I couldn't drive (didn't bring my license), it wasn't really an option if it was out of waking distance.
It's funny, I actually did see a sign advertising for mma fights in pensacola last saturday, but unfortunately I was unable to go-- MMA in redneck, florida sounded like hell of fun. My girlfriend was trying to get me to try to join the fights because she hates me, too. Thankfully, I'm not quite that dumb yet.

It's back to training at my old gym for now, and I'm looking forwards to it. Sad to leave the US, though.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I've been back a week, and apparently it's been decided that I'm to become the backup instructor whenever our instructor can't hold a class. I did a gi and nogi class this week and the instructor and everyone was so impressed it made me equally uncomfortable.
It's good to be back, though.

I don't feel entirely qualified for instruction, there are a lot of embarrassingly basic things that I still suck at! But I guess this is an opportunity for me to instruct in the things I myself need to improve on :v:

Last thing I taught was an escape from side control, with the basic addition of bridging and grabbing the top person's bicep to prevent proper shoulder pressure. It's probably one of those obvious things, but it was a big revelation for my bottom game when I started doing that, and I like the idea of being able to hopefully give someone else some kind of revelation too.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

awkward_turtle posted:

Aren't you a white belt still? I was in the same position for a while as a blue belt.

I'm a BJJ white belt, yes, but I have a green (oooo!) belt in TJJ, and I've been training at this club for about two and a half years, so I do have some seniority over a lot of other people there, if nothing else.

I guess preparation (and motivation to sit down and prepare) is key.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

generatrix posted:

This picture is awesome, and should be the standard way to show your belt colour in no-gi (minus the glasses of course, that's just dangerous).

I think this is an amazing idea.

In other news, my new glamorous problem that stops me training (and walking normally) is an ingrown nail on my big toe. It's the first time I've ever had a problem with my nails, and I caught it early, but guess who managed to get an infection anyway!

<-- This guy!!

Seriously, I like to think I have a fairly high pain tolerance, hell, I enjoyed getting my tattoos, but this poo poo really hurts.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I don't really believe much in pressure points or ki or anything either, but my instructor's instructor does, and he's done martial arts for the better part of four decades, and he's hell of a good instructor and fighter.
I'm no less sceptical to pressure points and such, but I expressed my concerns to him, and in front of the entire class, he did this neat trick on my arm to "trap the ki" (said with a wink) or some bullshit, and did a couple of hard taps with his fingers and a slap on the inside of my forearm.
I have no idea what happened, but where he hit my arm, the skin rose up, as if filling with blood or something until it was about the side of a quarter of a egg or something-- a really noticable bumb on my arm. It wasn't sore or anything, and he just put his hand over it and rubbed it away afterwards. I have no idea what it was or how he did it. Maybe someone can enlighten me!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Thoguh posted:

Crossposting this from Watch and Weight because leveling up and competing is fun, Fitocracy is a website that tracks your work outs and allows you to do competitions against others. It is heavily unbalanced towards weightlifting, but I think if we got enough martial arts goons on as a group it could be fun to get some competitions going for most mat time in a month and poo poo like that. The Watch and Weight group does monthly competition for most number of points, but unless you guys are powerlifting every day in your spare time there is no hope of competing in that.

http://ftcy.co/lAGD2X (invite link)

If anybody else is on this already, there is already a goons group, but if a few people want we can start a Martial Arts Goons group. I know it would make me work out more often if more people called me out when I hadn't logged a workout in a few days.

I like leveling up so I think this is a great idea. Signed up as BohemianNights. You can apparently connect it to your twitter or facebook, so signing up is really easy.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Had the usual monday open mat/fighting session yesterday, and man, I feel busted up. It was my first standup with takedowns (and strikes) in almost six months. I'd forgotten how much fun performing european double leg takedowns are, and just how excruciatingly hard it is to fight in the clinch.

Speaking of swords and poo poo, has everyone seen this video of crazy russians trying to beat each other up in armor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDdTB1GzHJw

It might be geeky, but I would attend the gently caress out of an event like this. Just imagine the adrenaline rush you get being stuck in the middle of that melee!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I haven't used a cup for like six months, and the only times I hurt myself is when I'm a little bit too eager to get an armbar. It's a fantastic feeling to pull of a submission and then have to sit out for 30 seconds to recover from the pain you inflicted on yourself.

Always wear a mouthguard. It only takes one accident for your teeth to get hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Neurosis posted:

I appear to have contracted molluscum contagiosum. I know this takes a long time to go away. I don't particularly want to stop training for 6 months - 2 years.

It's all over my forearm. What precautions should I take to stop from spreading it to other people?

I thought I had contracted molluscums when I was in new york, which was really unfortunate because it kept me off the mat for two weeks where I could have been training, but turns out it was just an allergic reaction (Which I suppose IS fortunate, considering the alternative). HOWEVER, I went to several dermatologists and read every little tidbit on it I could find online.
First off, molloscums are auto-innoculating. This means that you're spreading that poo poo to yourself by scratching or rubbing it. For example, when you shower, you shouldn't be using the same towel where you're infected and on "clean" areas. there's an underlying virus beyond the visible papules, however, if you manage to get all of them, you'll stop being contagious to both yourself and others.

And, this part really sucks, but you really shouldn't be training when you have MC. Even if you cover up the spot where you THINK you have them, there might be an unnoticed cluster on the inside of your thigh or on your back or something that'll keep spreading it.

My advice is to keep getting it frozen off. It might leave a little scar if it's bad, but otherwise it should heal up in two to three weeks. You'll spend those weeks looking like a leper with those liquid nitrogen burns, though. If you get all of them, the virus will still be in your body, but apparently it goes away by itself and you're not actually contagious anymore.

After you get it frozen off the doctor might prescribe you some anti-wart stuff or another cream thing. This might help combat the MC papules, especially the ones that aren't very developed, but for some people it doesn't do anything. It didn't do anything for me at all, but I guess that's because I didn't have either MC or warts.

A last bit of advice, and this might sound a little ghetto, but this is what two different dermatologists told me, you can also deal with MC by draining them yourself by popping them with a sterilized needle and squeezing the crap out of them afterwards. Keyword here being sterilized, all the way.

• Locked thread