Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Diviance posted:

It seems to vary from episode to episode and movie to movie. Their automated machines doing the DMCA requests seem to be kind of hit or miss sometimes.

I have 4 usenet provider accounts, myself. Astraweb, newsdemon, fastusenet (those three total around $18 a month... less than what I was paying monthly for Giganews a while back) and a block account from newsgroupdirect.

I cover a pretty wide base that way. Excessive? Yeah, probably. But it is pretty cheap overall and I rarely have issues downloading things.

If you had to recommend a "bundle" so to speak, what would it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
Never mind.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Helpimscared posted:

If you had to recommend a "bundle" so to speak, what would it be?

Get an unlimited account from whoever then buy a block account from every other provider. It might be worth your unlimited account being a giganews reslller because they don't sell block accounts

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Sorry, wrong thread.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Helpimscared posted:

I assume it just be seen as a unreasonable expectation to be able to download a movie or tv show that got uploaded more than a week or so ago?

I swapped to NZBget a few weeks back and downloaded a file 1953 days old (OVER 5 YEARS!) with astraweb (blocknews and cubenet backups) and it processed successfully.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hit something at 2256 days old recently on Newshosting, multiple grabs and all came down fine. Pretty sure that's even past their advertised retention limit, and I'm not sure how much further back nzbs.org goes to be honest.

Just another comparison that blows my mind when I think about using binaries back in 2001 where my subscription would get me 3 days retention and if you missed something being uploaded on its first day (because uploads would take multiple days then), you probably were going to run out of retention before getting it. For one thing. It's absolutely mindblowing just how fast things are these days.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

suddenlyissoon posted:

Right now I'm running NZBGet, NZBDrone, Transmission, and Mylar on an old Revo 3610 that has an Atom 330 & 2 gb of memory. It's pushed to its absolute limits and it's definitely hurting my download speeds and stability. I was thinking on trying to find a good deal on an Intel NUC, an SSD and some memory to build one. After seeing some of the black friday ads, I'm now thinking I could probably just buy a pre-built desktop for a couple hundred cheaper than I could do this myself. Outside of the obvious power usage difference, how dumb of an idea is this?

Been thinking about something like this for myself since you mentioned it. I was thinking about an i3 NUC running OpenElec XBMC with the SAB+Sickbeard plugins and control it with my phone. Has anyone else tried this? Would it be able to play a 1080p mkv while parring or unraring without skipping frames?

I was thinking of putting a 500GB SSD in there but it's going to drive the price up and I'm not sure if it's enough space. I delete stuff as soon as I've watched it but I'd like to use the dogNZB watchlist and not have to worry about running out of space if I throw a few dozen movies on it. It will be under my bed so I don't want to put a mechanical HDD in there because the vibration drives me insane. I'm assuming NUCs are fanless? My other option is getting a NAS with mech drives and putting it in the corner or near my PC and hoping I can't hear the noise from it humming away at night, but download everything onto there using the NUC still and have a smaller SSD in the NUC.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's absolutely mindblowing just how fast things are these days.

You can get internet faster than 2001 era home networking, for less than $100 a month.

I, too, pulled things over 2k days old from usenet recently. It's kinda hilarious just how much retention a lot of these providers have now.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I'm assuming NUCs are fanless?

They're not, though you can get fanless cases for them. I dropped the minimum fan speed in the bios to a point where it's pretty much silent when idle, but it will still spin up when it needs to. Unfortunately "when it needs to" often includes idling on the XBMC UI, though starting a video playing actually causes less CPU load and the fan silences again.

It also immediately ramps up to full speed when running Steam in Big Picture mode, then often gets quieter when running an actual game (usually indie level rather than AAA obviously). I really wish there was a less strenuous option for Big Picture, it's a bit ridiculous that the frontend is more demanding than many games I launch from it.

This all sounds a bit like I'm trying to dissuade you from the NUC, but really it's a great little box. All the above experience is with the i5 Haswell NUC, with the media stored on a NAS in my basement.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Froist posted:

They're not, though you can get fanless cases for them. I dropped the minimum fan speed in the bios to a point where it's pretty much silent when idle, but it will still spin up when it needs to. Unfortunately "when it needs to" often includes idling on the XBMC UI, though starting a video playing actually causes less CPU load and the fan silences again.

I had a similar problem with running XBMC in Windows and a NUC (2820 Atom). I moved to OpenELEC and the difference is pretty ridiculous, I have not heard my NUC at all since then. The downside being that OpenELEC is so stripped down that doing anything other than video playback is a pain in the rear end.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Is the fan a high pitched whirring? If it can't be heard over the movie it doesn't matter. I'm more worried about how loud it will be under my bed when it's idle. I'd only be running OpenElec with http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Add-on:SABnzbd-Suite on it.

Maybe I could make an mITX quieter than an NUC, but I don't know if it will be cheaper and it will be more power hungry

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 19, 2014

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Maybe I could make an mITX quieter than an NUC, but I don't know if it will be cheaper and it will be more power hungry

I just built an i3 based desktop and have it on the floor next to the TV. Cheaper parts and I still can't hear it at all using stock fans. It does use more power, but it's sooooo much faster than the Atom 330 I had been using for 4 years.

----

After some recent comments I decided to check out the nzbget/Sonarr combo. It's really quite nice, handles bad posts so much more gracefully. I'd highly recommend checking it out if you're on the SAB/SB combo. Took a bit to figure out the show management, but it's pretty slick once you get it going. Anime has been working reasonably well on it as well, though it'd be nice if they could make it to look for a certain subgroup. Edit: It seems they're looking at adding that feature in a future release at some point. Neat!

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 20, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
What do you prefer about Get compared to sab?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Seems like some information is easier to get to, I like the UI a bit more. SAB worked fine for me, but I thought I'd give it a try for a bit, see if I liked it better. Right now though it did totally fail to assemble a file that SAB breezed through with no problem. So I'll have to see what the hell is up with that...

If SAB is rockin' for you I'd say it's fine to keep using it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've been trying out nzbget this week. It's OK. Not particularly better or worse then Sabnzbd.

I like that you can assign servers to priority levels to control how it uses your various news servers.

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"

Thermopyle posted:

I've been trying out nzbget this week. It's OK. Not particularly better or worse then Sabnzbd.

I like that you can assign servers to priority levels to control how it uses your various news servers.

I haven't looked into it too much, but SAB never seemed to even try and repair failed downloads before saying it couldn't be done. Where on the other hand GET seems to all ways fix a failed download for me.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I prefer the UI of NZBGet to SABnzbd, mostly, but at the same time NZBGet had far more of an issue with failing to properly rejoin files together after unpacking, leaving me to do it manually later.

Annoying, so I switched back to SABnzbd.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Thermopyle posted:

I like that feature a lot. However, having extraction issues is a big deal to me (automation is the entire reason I use daemons like this, and I prefer as automatic as possible), so I'll stay away. Is development pretty active?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Aaaand now I'm finally going to bother to switch

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sub Rosa posted:

Aaaand now I'm finally going to bother to switch

So worth it. I have mine set up in tiers of increasing block cost, so the smallest and most expensive block is the last one to get checked, which is also the wonky stand alone euro server that abides by DMCA takedowns about as well as china abides by international IP law.

It also has a new fast-PAR, where it compares the CRC checksums in the par data to the files downloaded, and will only go back and do a full block by block validation when something breaks. It also supports the PAR rename feature and a bunch of other nifty stuff.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Diviance posted:

I prefer the UI of NZBGet to SABnzbd, mostly, but at the same time NZBGet had far more of an issue with failing to properly rejoin files together after unpacking, leaving me to do it manually later.

Annoying, so I switched back to SABnzbd.

I had this issue a handful of times like 2 or 3 major versions ago but nothing since. The only breaks in my automation chain now are the times I forget to top up a block account or something.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Anyone else running NZBDrone on Ubuntu 14.04 wake up to find that it had uninstalled itself this morning? My /opt/NZBDrone directory was empty save for a few files named update and ui (or something to that effect)?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Heners_UK posted:

Anyone else running NZBDrone on Ubuntu 14.04 wake up to find that it had uninstalled itself this morning? My /opt/NZBDrone directory was empty save for a few files named update and ui (or something to that effect)?

I'm using 14.04 and have not had that problem. As far as I can tell there is not auto update mechanism of any type for NZBDrone on Ubuntu (no repos or anything tracking the latest version...a significant problem with running NZBDrone if you ask me), so I suspect you have another problem.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

I had this issue a handful of times like 2 or 3 major versions ago but nothing since. The only breaks in my automation chain now are the times I forget to top up a block account or something.

Yeah, I don't know. This was on version 14. I will try it again in a few months.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Heners_UK posted:

I see they are finally moving forward with that stupid name change, maybe it put everything into a folder named sonarr?

Edit: Ah drat, meant to hit edit not reply... oh well.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Get an unlimited account from whoever then buy a block account from every other provider. It might be worth your unlimited account being a giganews reslller because they don't sell block accounts

Its worth a shot I suppose

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I'm using 14.04 and have not had that problem. As far as I can tell there is not auto update mechanism of any type for NZBDrone on Ubuntu (no repos or anything tracking the latest version...a significant problem with running NZBDrone if you ask me), so I suspect you have another problem.

This was a stupid post.

I was talking about NZBGet, not NZBDrone.

Feel free to point and laugh.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Supernews is working good, doesn't quite max me though. I get about 6.3mb/s but my max is 7.1mb/s. Perhaps its the time of day or something :P

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Helpimscared posted:

Supernews is working good, doesn't quite max me though. I get about 6.3mb/s but my max is 7.1mb/s. Perhaps its the time of day or something :P

Try increasing your connections. I max out my connection at 105 mb/s with them.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
If I set my supernews above 20 I get flood messages in the log. I have a 20mb uverse connection but the best speed Ive seen is 3-3.1. What are you setting connections too?

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

porktree posted:

If I set my supernews above 20 I get flood messages in the log. I have a 20mb uverse connection but the best speed Ive seen is 3-3.1. What are you setting connections too?

20Mb/s is roughly 2.5MB/s. So hitting 3-3.1MB/s is actually pretty good.

Mb = Megabit
MB = Megabyte

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Im currently downloading over WiFi so that's probably a big variable as far as maxing my connection goes. Stupid power-line adapter was capping me at 25mbits.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

For what it's worth I can hit 25MB/sec via my wifi. Same as wired, maxes my connection.

Super news and Astraweb.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Froist posted:

It also immediately ramps up to full speed when running Steam in Big Picture mode, then often gets quieter when running an actual game (usually indie level rather than AAA obviously). I really wish there was a less strenuous option for Big Picture, it's a bit ridiculous that the frontend is more demanding than many games I launch from it.

This all sounds a bit like I'm trying to dissuade you from the NUC, but really it's a great little box. All the above experience is with the i5 Haswell NUC, with the media stored on a NAS in my basement.

I'm working on consolidating pretty much all my computers to VMs on my NAS, so I can move to streaming everything and all I need is HDMI. I use Yatse to control the XBMC instances over wifi. Unraid is incorporating VMs, though it's still in beta, but pretty far along. With Steam streaming, I should even be able to play video games wherever, though I haven't tried it out yet, need to get another video card for the server.

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 22, 2014

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

sellouts posted:

For what it's worth I can hit 25MB/sec via my wifi. Same as wired, maxes my connection.

Super news and Astraweb.

With or without SSL?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Diviance posted:

20Mb/s is roughly 2.5MB/s. So hitting 3-3.1MB/s is actually pretty good.

Mb = Megabit
MB = Megabyte

Cool. Thanks. I should have known that.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Does anyone know of a way to have SABnzbd unpack downloads before moving them to the destination directory? I've been having issues with Plex not matching stuff and after monitoring the log while something was downloaded I noticed that it creates a folder in the destination where it unpacks to then it moves things to the appropriate location (renaming/cleanup).

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

So my NZBdrone suddenly claimed it could find the folders, then later on it won't load at all. My SABNZBD keeps pausing itself.

Anyone having this issue or have I hosed something up?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

kiresays posted:

So my NZBdrone suddenly claimed it could find the folders, then later on it won't load at all. My SABNZBD keeps pausing itself.

Anyone having this issue or have I hosed something up?

Is your disk dying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Man, backwards filenames? How in the gently caress.