Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Sly Pistachio posted:

You can't get DSLExtreme? They're supposed to be available wherever AT&T is available.

Just checked, no dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sly Pistachio posted:

...And you're continuing to reward this greedy rear end corporation determined to take Internet access in the United States back to the stone ages instead of canceling and going to the competition because... ?

I don't know of any other industry where a company can reduce the amount of service they are providing you to a mere 3% of what it was the month before and keep prices the same. Yet I continue to see people lower their quality of life and conform their habits to these greedy ISPs instead of just telling them to stick it where the sun don't shine.
We don't need this derail, thanks.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Shroomie posted:

I'm still mulling over the idea of switching from an unlimited plan to a block-based plan, given the 150GB cap AT&T has pushed on their DSL subscribers. I guess I'll have to stick with SuperNews for a couple months and see if I stay under under that 92GB limit.

Ouch, 150 GBs? Blocknews said on there twitter this weekend they have a new 3 TB block plan. If ou use all 150 gigabytes on just usenet a month that would last you 20 months and work out to about $11-12 a month. No doubt that 150 would be used by other things to so you would probably drive the cost down further.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sly Pistachio posted:

You can't get DSLExtreme? They're supposed to be available wherever AT&T is available.

What's the 'dry loop' or whatever charge on top the $19.95/month for the 6 meg plan?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Dry loop is when you just buy a direct line for DSL and don't get a phone line. ATT and verizon etc have started selling them now too, so its not a creepy scam or anything from DSLextreme. I've found its usually a dollar or two cheaper with a dry loop since there's no city/state taxes on it, good if you never planned to use phone service from the start.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Dry loop is when you just buy a direct line for DSL and don't get a phone line. ATT and verizon etc have started selling them now too, so its not a creepy scam or anything from DSLextreme. I've found its usually a dollar or two cheaper with a dry loop since there's no city/state taxes on it, good if you never planned to use phone service from the start.

As someone working within one of the worlds largest dry loop implementations, I can assure you it's not a great idea. So, so, sooooo many issues that can happen. Troubleshooting made all that much more complex because of no dial tone. I guess if your root telco is the one offering the dry loop you will have an easier time at it though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BotchedLobotomy posted:

My AT&T DSL has always been the only thing on my bill, I don't need no stinking land-line. I just wondered if you only paid $19.95 a month or if you had to pay additional fees. I was with another provider before and the service was $29.95 but I had to pay extra because I didn't have a phone line or something, so I just went back to AT&T since they actually have employees answering the phone.

The previous place was just some shady local reseller.

Their website:

http://www.starnetwireless.net/

LOOK AT IT

BrianDamage
Apr 23, 2002

demonachizer posted:

Is there an easy way to just browse usenet? I remember that 10 years ago you would just look through it like forums or something. Does that still exist?

I use Newsbin Pro - you can download all of the headers from the groups that you're subscribed to and then browse them. This is a great way to get an idea of what might be out there but it can be a resource/disk space hog if you get carried away. Also there are some web-based indexes that allow browsing - binsearch dot info comes to mind.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Does the Windows or Linux version have any differences? (ie. which one is the "lead" platform, heh)

Also, how does SABnzbd handle connection drops from it's storage directory?

For example, right now I'm using SABnzbd under Ubuntu with NFS shares (for the incomplete directory and complete directory). I'd like SABnzbd to pause if the NFS share gets disconnected, etc.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Vinlaen posted:

Does the Windows or Linux version have any differences? (ie. which one is the "lead" platform, heh)
The source version is the "primary" development, but we consider Windows, Linux and OSX to all be first class citizens. I mean, it's all just Python, all we do with the Windows and OSX binaries is compile it and include some external dependencies like par2 and unrar. It only gets weird when you start talking custom builds packed up for stuff like various NAS devices.

Vinlaen posted:

Also, how does SABnzbd handle connection drops from it's storage directory?

For example, right now I'm using SABnzbd under Ubuntu with NFS shares (for the incomplete directory and complete directory). I'd like SABnzbd to pause if the NFS share gets disconnected, etc.
In 0.5.x there was no handling, we'd gleefully start writing to your un-mounted mountpoint until you ran out of space. In 0.6 I believe this has changed such that if something changes with your mountpoint then we'll pause the queue, but it's not something I've ever tested. Feel free to start a small job, umount, and see what happens. Please report back!

Inovius
Apr 7, 2010
Anyone looking for a cheap block plan Newsgroup Direct (Highwinds reseller) has a special going today only for 1TB Block for $50. Seems like a pretty good deal.

http://www.newsgroupdirect.com

50 connections, 997 day retention, SSL

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Soooo, nzb.su just went invite-only.

An invite system is already in place and invites have already been doled out to existing members based on . . some mystery criteria. Please don't clog the thread with a jillion invite requests. If you absolutely need invites, head over to the SABnzbd forums, I'm certain we'll have an invite thread soon enough.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Is there any reason to use nzb.su if you already have accounts at nzbs.org and nzbmatrix? Or am I not missing out on much?

Also, should my incomplete and complete directories be on the same drive? Right now, I have my complete directory on Z(external) with my In completes on D(secondary internal).

I've noticed a lot of incompletes lately(that shouldn't be), that could either be attributed to my external falling 'asleep' or having Completes/in-completes on 2 separate drives.

I do know my Z drive falls asleep(or something), because after long periods of inactivity, it hangs up when I click on it, and then seems to access the files. Any way to change this?

demonachizer posted:

Is there an easy way to just browse usenet? I remember that 10 years ago you would just look through it like forums or something. Does that still exist?

I use Thunderbird for browsing. It's the best, free, text newsreader for Mac that uses a gui that I've found (Linux and Windows users have more options). Its filtering features aren't that great for usenet, but they've gotten better with recent updates. Eternal september Is a popular free server with decent spam filtering.

Google groups is pretty bad. I don't use it for anything except their archives. A significant number of people have their newsreader set to automatically ignore all posts from there.

post fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 10, 2011

Lycentia
Jul 30, 2009

It's the suit.

Roving Reporter posted:

I do know my Z drive falls asleep(or something), because after long periods of inactivity, it hangs up when I click on it, and then seems to access the files. Any way to change this?

In Windows 7, go to Control Panel, Power Options, find your active power plan (Balanced, by default), and click "Change plan settings". In the Edit Plan Settings window, click "Change advanced power settings" and expand "Hard disk", expand "Turn off hard disk after", and change "Setting (Minutes)" to "0" or "Never".

Also, if your Z drive is USB, you may want to disable USB selective suspend under USB settings.

Lycentia fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 10, 2011

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Roving Reporter posted:

Is there any reason to use nzb.su if you already have accounts at nzbs.org and nzbmatrix? Or am I not missing out on much?

nzbs.org and nzb.su are running the same code, just with different themes and some slightly different regexes. So not really, but if you have an account there's no reason not to toss it into SickBeard.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Lycentia posted:

In Windows 7, go to Control Panel, Power Options, find your active power plan (Balanced, by default), and click "Change plan settings". In the Edit Plan Settings window, click "Change advanced power settings" and expand "Hard disk", expand "Turn off hard disk after", and change "Setting (Minutes)" to "0" or "Never".

Also, if your Z drive is USB, you may want to disable USB selective suspend under USB settings.

Its eSATA but thank you both for the info! :)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Urgh my download problems just seem to be getting worse. I was putting the box thru some work yesterday (running sickbeard thru some more shows, unpacking files remotely while other people watched YouTube locally etc) and SB picked
up an nzb that'd just been uploaded and spat out files with about 3MB missing on each (90 blocks needed out of 600mb). I tried the same file with my laptop and it came down fine.

When people have had memory issues before, do they tend to corrupt each rar file? I'm about 50:50 success rate with stuff across two providers (newshosting as primary, blocknews as optional) and grabbing stuff both fresh and in the 400-600 day range.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How safe are SickBeard updates? I'm getting prompted to upgrade but I can't find any change history and the version I have now is stable enough.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

smackfu posted:

How safe are SickBeard updates? I'm getting prompted to upgrade but I can't find any change history and the version I have now is stable enough.
If you click "new version available" it'll show you commit comments for the upgrade. I pretty much have been upgrading every time it says there's an update for a few months and haven't had an issue yet.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I accidentally updated it anyways by clicking the wrong bit to see the commits, so oh well.

BTW, SickBeard now has a built-in NZB provider:
http://sickbeard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=392&p=8606#p8606

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
What kind of setups are you using with SABnzbd & SlickBeard? Are you all downloading to a NAS and then using a GoogleTV/AppleTV/Whatever lightweight frontend to connect to your TV and stream it from the NAS?

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

iamthexander posted:

What kind of setups are you using with SABnzbd & SlickBeard? Are you all downloading to a NAS and then using a GoogleTV/AppleTV/Whatever lightweight frontend to connect to your TV and stream it from the NAS?
That's sort of what I have.

SABnzbd + Sickbeard runs on my server, XBMC runs on my Zotac set top box, and the Zotac streams content over a gigabit network.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

inpheaux posted:

That's sort of what I have.

SABnzbd + Sickbeard runs on my server, XBMC runs on my Zotac set top box, and the Zotac streams content over a gigabit network.

I have this set up as well, though I'm not sure what a Zotac box is. Mine is just a machine I put together a few years ago for an HTPC, booting XBMC off of a compact flash card.

A few people I know run it all on one box by the TV. I prefer to have a dedicated server cranking away in my garage, while a nice quiet machine streams it. Otherwise it's too noisy and I can't put that machine to sleep when I'm not watching anything. Plus having a home server is just too handy.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yep same here. poo poo box with xbmc live, poo poo server nas with sab/sb, stream over gigabit.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Lemons posted:

A few people I know run it all on one box by the TV. I prefer to have a dedicated server cranking away in my garage, while a nice quiet machine streams it. Otherwise it's too noisy and I can't put that machine to sleep when I'm not watching anything. Plus having a home server is just too handy.

Yeah I'm much more in favor of this method as well. I'm looking to get a small set-top box that can stream content from a server located somewhere else, but I want to get something with a strong enough GPU that I can have a nice front-end and be able to pump out 1080p.

Hence why I've been thinking about a GoogleTV setup. But maybe thats overkill? inpheaux is using the Zotac box, Lemons is using a HTPC, paradigmm what shitbox are you using? (After this I'll stop the derail, sorry!)

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Lemons posted:

I have this set up as well, though I'm not sure what a Zotac box is. Mine is just a machine I put together a few years ago for an HTPC, booting XBMC off of a compact flash card.
Probably a little Atom/Ion nettop like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173005&cm_re=ZBOX-_-56-173-005-_-Product

I currently have everything running on my main desktop, SAB, SB and XBMIC connected via HDMI. I want a NAS+XBMC live setup, just don't know where I'd put a NAS at the moment. :iiam:

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

iamthexander posted:

paradigmm what shitbox are you using?

XBMC => Acer Revo 1600 2GB (XBMC Live Ubuntu)
NAS => Acer Easystore (Windows Home Server)
both use atom processors, streams 1080p no issues

I hosed with a Synology DS210j for a while as the NAS but it was a total pain in the rear end so I said to hell with it.

Some things about WHS are laughable but it was easy as gently caress to configure.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
3 Ghz Xeon E3110 server with 4gb ram and 6.5TB raid5 space handles all of the utorrent and sabnzbd -> gigabit -> boxee box/wdtv live depending on room.

Completely overkill but the server was pretty much free and we have some of the lowest power rates in the country. v:hehe:v

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

If I was building my setup new right now, for the server I'd put together a somewhat low power machine, and for the XBMC I'd do an Acer Revo. A few friends have the Revos for streaming and they love them. I wish that kind of thing was around when I put together my HTPC, but oh well. With a silent video card supported by XBMC for GPU acceleration and booting off a CF card instead of a HDD, it's pretty drat quiet and low power. It's just so much bigger than a revo.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Disgustipated posted:

Probably a little Atom/Ion nettop like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173005&cm_re=ZBOX-_-56-173-005-_-Product
Exactly that, actually. I've got a USB IR remote for it, and I've rigged it up with my Logitech Harmony remote such that when I change on or off the "xbmc" activity, it suspends / resumes the box. Plus I've got it set to scan for new media on resume. So I just switch activities, it picks up new stuff, and I'm ready to go.

Works wonderfully, shocked it took this long for me to get around to setting it up.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I wish I had this sweet thread when I tried figuring out all this Usenet business years ago. I have been using GrabIt but SABnzb looks pretty cool. I also have a Blocknews.Net account that I got a sweet deal on a long time ago on deals.woot. 300 gb for $28 since I don't download very much.

Which indexer are you guys using for these tv-streaming setups?

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
My server's a mid-2010 Mac Mini with a 2 TB Drobo attached via FW800. The Mini's got HDMI so I can hook it up to the TV and run Plex.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Are most of you guys using nettops just running XBMC as its own OS?

I wanted to do that, but I need an OS with a browser and Flash for YouTube, Hulu, and NBA League Pass.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Poopelyse posted:

Which indexer are you guys using for these tv-streaming setups?
Ones which have since gone invite-only. :smith:

Midgetspy is apparently running his own indexer now, though, which is made specifically for usage within sickbeard. Details here.

kalibar posted:

I'm using xbmclive installed to the hard drive.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

marketingman posted:

As someone working within one of the worlds largest dry loop implementations, I can assure you it's not a great idea. So, so, sooooo many issues that can happen. Troubleshooting made all that much more complex because of no dial tone. I guess if your root telco is the one offering the dry loop you will have an easier time at it though.

It's really weirdly amusing that this attitude is throughout the US (and that most people haven't heard of it) cause in Australia this is offered by almost every ISP. It's called a Naked DSL plan here, in that you don't have a phone line bundled with it. ISPs tend to offer it at $10 more per month than the bundled offering, but obviously you then don't pay the $30/month for phone line rental to bundle. Others let you bundle it with VOIP for less than a dedicated phone line.

I'm on it, for example - it's great.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nam Taf posted:

It's really weirdly amusing that this attitude is throughout the US (and that most people haven't heard of it) cause in Australia this is offered by almost every ISP. It's called a Naked DSL plan here, in that you don't have a phone line bundled with it. ISPs tend to offer it at $10 more per month than the bundled offering, but obviously you then don't pay the $30/month for phone line rental to bundle. Others let you bundle it with VOIP for less than a dedicated phone line.

I don't think that attitude is throughout the US. This may be the first time I've ever heard anything negative about dry loops.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

lilbean posted:

If you click "new version available" it'll show you commit comments for the upgrade. I pretty much have been upgrading every time it says there's an update for a few months and haven't had an issue yet.

I update every 15 new commits or so, as that seems to be the time frame it takes me to actually load up Sickbeard (otherwise I just ignore it and it does it's thing). I've never had an issue thus far.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

kalibar posted:

I wanted to do that, but I need an OS with a browser and Flash for YouTube, Hulu, and NBA League Pass.

XBMC has a youtube plugin and quite possibly hulu and nba ones, I havn't checked.

Nam Taf posted:

Most havn't heard of it because it was a condition of the SBC & AT&T merger a couple years ago that at&t allow dry loops in all regions. So most people couldn't even get it until recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die

Nam Taf posted:

I think the problem here is more that broadband in general in the US is poo poo, and that's where the attitude comes from.