Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

FISHMANPET posted:

It's been in for a couple of weeks, though if you're running the windows builds I'm guessing it hasn't been included in those yet.

That is the reason why I'm not using sickbeard at the moment. I'd rather have the small (88 mb instead of 175 for animated stuff for example), but still high quality, x264 files, but there is no method to what sickbeard will fetch right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

elwood posted:

That is the reason why I'm not using sickbeard at the moment. I'd rather have the small (88 mb instead of 175 for animated stuff for example), but still high quality, x264 files, but there is no method to what sickbeard will fetch right now.

Install Python and run it that way, you'll be happier in the end anyway. Then you'll always get the latest builds.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
+1 for running from source. I saw the x264 SD stuff get added in a week or so ago

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Yeah I've been running from source for awhile as well and it's definitely the way to go. The Windows builds were a pain to compile.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Scene rules changed a few weeks ago. Now all SD content is supposed to be x264.

http://scenerules.irc.gs/t.html?id=2012_SDTVx264r.nfo

BlackRider
Dec 28, 2004
Anyone have tips for migrating a Sickbeard install from one Windows machine to another? Can I just copy over the entire folder and fix any paths or should I reinstall and then find a way to copy over the database?

Has anyone done this before?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

SB build 493 includes the x264 SD stuff, but there is no way to differentiate between SD releases since everything will be x264 I think.

Looks like I will run from source since I have python installed for headphones.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 12, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

kri kri posted:

SB build 493 includes the x264 SD stuff, but there is no way to differentiate between SD releases since everything will be x264 I think.

Looks like I will run from source since I have python installed for headphones.

It actually took a couple of days to get the SD stuff right, but if I recall correctly the final commit check for SD is name contains x264 and doesn't contain 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. The scene is still calling SD releases HDTV.x264, but sickbeard isn't dependent on the HDTV in the name (though it will use it if it's there) since I think it excludes some corner cases.

And now it will properly detect your x264 DVD rips!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I'm running from the Windows installer and have been getting x264 SD for a few weeks.
It seems to grab whichever file shows up first.

I haven't looked around to see if there's an option to prefer one codec.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I see that I need Cheetah for sickbeard, what do I need to run it on my WHS 2011 box?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Is SSL supposed to get around ISP throttling?

I'm using SSL but my speeds are a paltry 150KB/s. Is there anything else I can do to get around throttling, apart from getting a new ISP?

Ed: I think they are throttling NNTP or something.

Jesse Iceberg
Jan 7, 2012

Xachariah posted:

Is SSL supposed to get around ISP throttling?

I'm using SSL but my speeds are a paltry 150KB/s. Is there anything else I can do to get around throttling, apart from getting a new ISP?

Ed: I think they are throttling NNTP or something.

I don't think so, not an expert but I think SSL only serves to obfuscate your traffic, the ISP still can count your upload/download at will & throttle at their leisure.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If they're throttling Usenet traffic (NNTP sounds like the right protocol) then SSL will get around that, because the ISP won't see it as NNTP traffic, just unreadable gibberish going to an SSL port.

They could be shaping traffic to specific destinations (maybe? Can they see that through SSL).

They could also be throttling everything, nothing you can do about that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FISHMANPET posted:

They could be shaping traffic to specific destinations (maybe? Can they see that through SSL).

Yes. They have to know where to send your packets.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

If they're throttling Usenet traffic (NNTP sounds like the right protocol) then SSL will get around that, because the ISP won't see it as NNTP traffic, just unreadable gibberish going to an SSL port.

They could be throttling NNTP traffic port 119 AND NNTPS traffic port 563, both are standard ports. Try a different SSL port most give a few.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Any special block offers running atm? I just changed my ISP which offered free premium Usenet. Otherwise I'm just going to get the 200gb from Blocknews.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Ragingsheep posted:

Any special block offers running atm? I just changed my ISP which offered free premium Usenet. Otherwise I'm just going to get the 200gb from Blocknews.

Astraweb are offering 1TB for $50. Currently deciding where to refill my blocks, so i'm in the same boat.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

frameset posted:

Astraweb are offering 1TB for $50. Currently deciding where to refill my blocks, so i'm in the same boat.

I have astraweb as my unlimited, pretty happy with them. They should do pretty well as a backup server.

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all

FISHMANPET posted:

Here in Canada, Rogers throttles all encrypted traffic, regardless of port (this was to shape Bittorrent encrypted stuff.)

It sucks because at our office we use SSH for development a lot, and while sending a large file, say, a VM image, they'll kill our connection.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is there any conceivable chance that this could have an effect on usenet downloaders besides the usual throttling tactic? SSL or non-SSL, I suppose.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/03/15/american-isps-to-launch-massive-copyright-spying-scheme-on-july-12/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nate RFB posted:

Is there any conceivable chance that this could have an effect on usenet downloaders besides the usual throttling tactic? SSL or non-SSL, I suppose.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/03/15/american-isps-to-launch-massive-copyright-spying-scheme-on-july-12/

Depends on if they're idiots or not. Well, I guess merely engaging in this makes them idiots, but what I mean is if they're looking at traffic destinations or doing packet inspection. If they're doing traffic destinations, then they could get you for massive amounts of traffic to a usenet provider even if they can't tell what it is you're downloading because you're using SSL.

If they're doing the "smarter" thing and doing packet inspection, then they can't tell what you're downloading...if you're using SSL.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Most of the stories that I've read about July 12 make it sound like most of the major ISPs are just going to be implementing DMCA takedowns more uniformly across providers. Only one story said that ISPs are going to be actively monitoring connections, which would open them up to unwanted liability. So I don't buy that part.

It mostly just sounds like ISPs are going to do more than just "hey, we got a dmca complaint, did you delete it? ok good, internet is back on," that they've done in the past. Now they're going to be warning you about the dangers of piracy as well. Plus a lot of ISPs had 3 strikes so the 6 strikes is better.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

look what showed up in my email

newzbin2 posted:

Dear dj_pain,

This is an automated email sent from Newzbin, please DO NOT
reply unless specified otherwise as it will NOT be received/read.

The administration of Newzbin has performed the following action on
your account, effective immediately:

[*] We would like to invite you to come back to Newzbin. As a small gift, please accept 90 days of premium credit.

The details are as follows:

[*] Credit added: 90 days
[*] New total: 90 days

We hope you enjoy the usage of your premium credit. Thank you.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

dj_pain posted:

look what showed up in my email

I got once of those too. Considering I've never touched the site since the original one went down, they're just spamming everyone it seems.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
As long as NewzXXX stays alive, that's good. They're the best indexer I've found for the :gay: stuff.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Just moved from Supernews to Astraweb, Supernews was getting ridiculous with all the missing articles and no way was it worth $10/month anymore, sad to see it go downhill so much since I used them for about 2 years. I went with the Astraweb 1TB block plan for $50, which to me seems like a great value unless you download >160GB a month (at which point their yearly plan for $96 unlimited makes more sense). Was also considering their 10mbit for $6.67/month plan (since that is like 3TB/month if you download constant), but I am upgrading to 40mbit next week and I want to see my poo poo max out :D Plus my ISP probably won't be happy if I utilized 10mbit 100% of the time.

How are people's experience with Astraweb these days? So far it has had no problems downloading the poo poo I was trying to on Supernews, with no missing articles. But is it likely I'll need a BlockNews backup with it? Like 25GB or something.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

^^

Sucks to hear about Supernews.

I've been using them quite often (150GB avg per month) and I only have something like 100MB on my Astraweb block account for when Supernews is missing pieces. That 100MB is from the last year or so though.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Odette posted:

^^

Sucks to hear about Supernews.

I've been using them quite often (150GB avg per month) and I only have something like 100MB on my Astraweb block account for when Supernews is missing pieces. That 100MB is from the last year or so though.

Guess it really depends on usage patterns, probably wouldn't have trouble with newer stuff but it seems like anything past 100 days is gone and the 1300 days retention seems pointless. All related to DMCA takedowns, Giganews will remove every article related to one but others might remove just a few to break it but keep it mostly downloadable (if you have a backup server).

I've been trying to grab older stuff right now and that is when I run into problems, though I think a typical sickbeard/couch potato/sabnzbd setup still works great with supernews/GN.

With HDD prices like it is I can't do a whole lot of downloading anyways because I have no where to put it.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I download a variety of stuff, 0-1000+ day articles and it's really rare that I run into issues.

I don't venture much into the older archives though, mostly the stuff I want is usually reposted.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Giganews tends to remove all the articles for Linux consule ISOs. If thats what you like to download, Giganews would be a bad choice. I have typical habits, but I still see my block accounts getting hit from time to time. Nothing too bad. Usually a few hundred megs a month.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Sperg Victorious posted:

Giganews tends to remove all the articles for Linux consule ISOs. If thats what you like to download, Giganews would be a bad choice. I have typical habits, but I still see my block accounts getting hit from time to time. Nothing too bad. Usually a few hundred megs a month.

Yeah the expressing-sympathy type of Linux ISOs are giving me a lot of trouble with GN. Astraweb is treating me really good now though, I might just sign up for their $96/year plan after I get through my TB block. Maybe by then HDD prices will be reasonable again too!
I also found out about xsusenet, which offers a completely free 1Mbit connection with 400 days retention. Obviously that is too slow to do any real downloading, but for a free backup why not?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So SABnzbd keeps deleting subtitles rars and the idx/sub/srt files if and when it unzips them (if it even unpacks them at all).

I've searched high and low in the config for a setting, and the only filetypes I have listed in the cleanup section are .srr, .sfv, and .nzb. What am I missing here?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Assuming you're talking movies, are you using Couch Potato with its automatic processing? I don't know what files it chooses to keep if cleanup is enabled there, but that might be it.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I think I found a bug, I was grabbing a bunch of things that has the naming convention of S01E34-37.blag.blah.mkv, and I added them all with the tv category. I noticed that it was renaming them without the second episode identifier (ended up as S01E34.mkv), so I did a bulk edit and changed the tag to misc to stop renaming them. I did this on a couple hundred at once.

It did change the category to misc but it still renamed them as I failed to check that it still does it for that category.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Does anybody happen to have a script that will convert stuff sickbeard pulls down to an ipad friendly format?

I'd love to maintain a list of shows that after they are grabbed, it is converted to mp4 or whatever and dumped the "automatically add to itunes" directory.

I could write one, however I am lazy and would prefer using one that already exists :)

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

crm posted:

Does anybody happen to have a script that will convert stuff sickbeard pulls down to an ipad friendly format?

I'd love to maintain a list of shows that after they are grabbed, it is converted to mp4 or whatever and dumped the "automatically add to itunes" directory.

I could write one, however I am lazy and would prefer using one that already exists :)

If you use HandBrake it should be a very short script. Here's the HandBrake CLI guide.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CLIGuide

If you don't get anything posted, I can try and write something for you (school is killing me right now).

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

crm posted:

Someone posted a script to remux mkv to mp4 a while back in this thread. It's a lot quicker than re-encoding with Handbrake.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

crm posted:

You should look at the scripts used for DLNA, they'll probably do what you want.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

crm posted:

I don't have an iPad (Android user here) but doesn't VLC on the iPad handle these files?
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ios.html

edit: oh didn't realize it was taken off of the app store, though I guess you can still install it from Cydia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Isn't mp4 the new defacto standard?