Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
My favorite site for stuff is down so I've crawled back to usenet after a 2 year hiatus. Newzbin is more or less crap now so I'm not using it anymore, I've instead gone for manually grabbing stuff through binsearch.

what's everyone doing to automate grabbing stuff like shows? I'm more or less at a loss for how to pull that off (I'm trying to avoid paying for a provider as I'm saving for a house/car).

Additionally, this has probably been answered, but is SABnzbd+ going to do anything with srr files in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Woops, I mixed up my terms, I am using supernews for my provider. I meant to say I don't want to pay for an indexer >.<

I'm installing Sickbeard right now, it looks like that will do what I want. Thanks!

On a sidenote, does the firefox extension nzbStatus work well through a proxy? My browser is set to go through a proxy and I can't seem to send nzbs directly to the server.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

td4guy posted:

Why would you want SABnzbd+ to convert your .avi files or whatever back into their original rar set? That's just silly.

I don't mean actually use them just to delete them once the nzb has been processed. It's annoying to go in to a directory and find a bunch of srr files strewn about.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

EC posted:

Confgi > General > Tuning > Cleanup List. Add .srr there and they'll be deleted!

Thank you for that tip! It's quite apparent a lot of features have been added since I last used it.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Sickbeard decided to stop downloading stuff a few days ago, anyone had this issue? I've updated it twice since then and I still can't get it to search for shows. There aren't any errors in the logs either (doesn't even mention searching for shows when I click the search button on an episode).

Nevermind, was a bad init script.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 29, 2011

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

deep square leg posted:

Yes, I'm also in Australia and this is on old request that I've commented on from time to time.
http://code.google.com/p/sickbeard/issues/detail?id=127

It doesn't have any priority because it isn't actually a showstopper. Which is fair enough - it still downloads the episodes when they become available, it just stuffs up the schedule.

Some people have mentioned changing the time that SickBeard thinks it is, but it looks like the system time is called in numerous areas. I guess I could override the system time call?

I just did a quick search and found this library that should do it.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

deep square leg posted:

Interesting! I won't be using it on Windows, though. But anyway, I do think I could just override the python method that returns the system time (but I don't care enough to try).

What will you be using it on? That library is for linux.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I setup a friend with XBMC on an apple TV, I originally planned to run sabnzbd on the system itself but due to limited resources I could see serious performance issues when running par2.

So, I'm asking for advice on how to configure everything. What I've done is setup sabnzbd and sickbeard on his desktop computer. The movies will be hosted on the ATV however I don't want it to download directly to it since it's over wireless and I'm worried about the connection being interrupted.

So, what I want to do is:

• Download to desktop
  • When completed Push files to ATV
  • Only remove file when copy is completed

Recommendations?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I think I found a bug, I was grabbing a bunch of things that has the naming convention of S01E34-37.blag.blah.mkv, and I added them all with the tv category. I noticed that it was renaming them without the second episode identifier (ended up as S01E34.mkv), so I did a bulk edit and changed the tag to misc to stop renaming them. I did this on a couple hundred at once.

It did change the category to misc but it still renamed them as I failed to check that it still does it for that category.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

crm posted:

Does anybody happen to have a script that will convert stuff sickbeard pulls down to an ipad friendly format?

I'd love to maintain a list of shows that after they are grabbed, it is converted to mp4 or whatever and dumped the "automatically add to itunes" directory.

I could write one, however I am lazy and would prefer using one that already exists :)

You should look at the scripts used for DLNA, they'll probably do what you want.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Vastly Outnumbered posted:

I was just able to register on omgwtfnzbs.com, if you're quick you should be able to get in also.

Registration is closed but lucky for me I registered months ago :D

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Are you using compression at all? You should consider using something like snappy.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Evil Trout posted:

Nope because I was just storing strings in rows in postgres. I'm sure I could do a lot better though. First of all I'd avoid any rows that don't have xxx/yyy in them (ie, are multipart binaries.) Then, instead of storing the entire subject every time I'd store the subject once and a row for just the part with message id.

I'm not very familiar with postgres (I primarily dealt with DB compression on hadoop/big data stuff) but you may able to shrink the db size by compressing the tables with snappy/LZO, it's fast enough that you won't see any performance impact when retrieving articles.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I love my Couchpotato/Sickbeard setup but sometimes there are movies I have to track down manually. This is usually reserved to foreign films though due to naming conventions.

Also, does headphones work for anyone? It was always horribly slow so I just uninstalled it.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I don't see how that would work for games since unmentionable things must be done before the Game appears on bittorrent/usenet. The time it takes for those things to happen varies a bit. You may as well just check an indexers RSS feed.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

Is anyone else having trouble w/ speeds from Supernews?

I'm getting 1KB/s a right now..

I've used 1.1 terabytes since Nov 5th, and I usually average 10-15 megabytes per second. Checked my bandwidth on various bandwidth testing sites, and I'm good to go there.

Have I been QoS'd by my ISP? Is there a way to check that?

Edit-- nevermind, it was just being weird and only showing me as d/l'ing 1kbps, but I was getting my normal 15 megabytes a second-- just a weird glitch in the way it was displaying the download.

SABnzbd will do a verification process before it downloads a nzb(at least for me) that shows the speed being 1KB/s, that's probably what you were seeing.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Sunblood posted:

Oh neat, I knew that was there but never thought about doing it with sabnzbd directly.
Thanks.

For bonus points, use a python script to automatically update xbmc when the download completes. There's one on the SAB forum I wrote, just requires the jsonrpc library.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm too stupid to find it. Can you post a link to it?

Yep, here it is. There are other ways to do it like with wget but personally python is the best way to go about it. If anyone figures out how to update a specific file/show via the API let me know. This works well but can get annoying when you're grabbing many things at once.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Syano posted:

Ok I did something boneheaded. I set up couchpotato on my wife's mac mini and apparently I fat fingered the password. No clue how I did that. Anyways, does anyone know where in the world the config file is on a mac so I can blow the password away?

Look under /Applications/CouchPotatoServer/ or /User/yourusername/Library/Application Support/couchpotato

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Just found out about this really nice HTPC front-end that creates a dashboard with widgets for XBMC, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, Headphones, and more. I highly recommend checking it out:

http://www.maraschinoproject.com/

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Supernews is a popular choice, they have a $11/mo unlimited plan.

I just found out about this deal. $7/mo Highwinds reseller.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

St. Blaize posted:

I have a spare ionitx-a-u barebones laying around that I would like to run some form of Linux, ubuntu server probably, with newznab, sabnzbd, couchpotato, and sickbeard. It is a dual core 1.6Ghz with 2GB of ram. Will this handle all of that alright along with acting as a file server?

Apart from Newznab that will all run just fine on it. My file server was previously an E7200 with 2GB of memory handling all my usenet needs. I haven't setup a Newznab instance yet as I've got everything automated with existing indexers.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Only real alternative to Usenet/Torrents are LINUX ISO forums. People will upload to file storage sites like rapidshare and people download from there. Only problem is the storage sites will push you to get a premium account and cap the amount of data/files you can download each hour.

FTP is another option but getting access to the good ones requires knowledge and getting invited. In general, don't expect to get anything automated like usenet or bittorrent.

You can always try returning to P2P, expect to deal with a shitload of fake files and viruses (plus you'll be tracked).

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

There's your answer, switch to a different provider.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I believe the thread has reached the consensus of "Anything but Astraweb"

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I used Astraweb for a few years without any problems. Only cancelled because I wasn't downloading much and switched to blocknews for awhile. I'm now on supernews and it's been treating me pretty well.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

If you can, offer payment methods aside from paypal because they're douche bags. I'd like to suggest Amazon Simple Payments. The biggest perk is Amazon Payments works like a standard bank account in that it actually is one as opposed to paypal that only pretends to be one (they're actually a broker).

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

If anyone has good suggestions on how to handle the paypal / payment side of things we'd love to hear it.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

BTW guys, SHSC isn't hidden from the public interwebs so perhaps we should shut up about goonzb.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

DicksToAsses posted:

With the goonzb project, would it be possible to write some kind of script for sabnzbd that automatically posts back comments or some kind of +/- votes to the scraped nzb posts to confirm whether they repaired and extracted ok or not? Maybe it could even include the provider from the client's server settings so people can see what networks have the completed files if there are any queries over completion?

Would be a lot easier than relying on people to go back and manually comment later on, although I can see how it would lead to less of a feeling of community it would at least give a good shot at building a high quality database.

Ignore me if thats an impossible/dumb idea, just thinking out loud.

Not only is it possible it's a great idea, although implementing it would require a bit of work. Rather then posting a comment it should go into some sort of rating system (thumbs up/down) simply because you would end up with hundreds of robot comments that a person would have to read through.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

I'm using a very old version of sabnzbd (0.5.6 or something like that) and i see there's a 0.7.something version available. If i make such a big jump in the upgrade, will anything bad happen? I have an old sickbeard installation that i also probably have to upgrade as well. Thanks

Backup your config and upgrade, you'll just lose your queue/history.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

I'm using a very old build of Sickbeard (build 487) on a WHS system.

If i install over it with a new version, will it still keep my old settings?

Do i have to backup config files? And if so, where are they located?

config.ini is usually in the install directory, not sure on windows systems though. Just backup the whole thing as it's pretty small and upgrade.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

How does one only have post-process scripts run if the nzb unpacked successfully?

Edit: Nevermind, read the manual.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 14, 2013

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

DuckConference posted:

Is supernews having downtime? My login suddenly stopped working in my usenet client and I can't login on their website either.

I had this happen to me, your IP has probably been blocked for some obscure reason. Shoot them an email at support@supernews.com to get it sorted out.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Is quickcheck enabled? You could create a new category and assign it to large downloads. For that category just have sab download all the files and not do anything, set a post-processing script to copy to your desktop.

Once on your desktop, you could manually run the par2 check or created a scheduled task to watch the folder for files, if anything shows up repair and unpack it.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Commercial NAS units are pretty limited on resources. They're designed to handle a very specific set of tasks, sometimes you'll find NAS units designed to run some apps on top of it (Synology) but nothing that requires even moderate CPU.

Personally, if you can spare the cash I recommend rolling your own. It's pretty easy/cheap to build a Mini-ITX file server with redundant storage. Use linux if you can, otherwise Windows Home Server/Server 2012 Essentials will work just fine.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Kalix posted:

Aside from lower power consumption , is it worth it to go the NAS route?
Part of me thinks I could just run the software on a Desktop PC that could double as a Media Center or even a light gaming PC. Downside I suppose it would be always on, consuming power, if it is to run all the software. Plus side is that i would get the resources I need, and then some.
Is this common? Or would just building the computer as a NAS be better? (I like the idea of using it as a backup for my Mac).

It really depends on your needs. My file server consumes about 60W at peak and it has 6 hard drives in it. I don't know which mac you have but if it's a Mini it's pretty comparable. I use my file server for streaming music, torrents, usenet, and as a NFS/Samba server. It would also be an htpc if I could get the video/hdmi audio setup correctly (I should probably try doing it again as it's been a couple years).

When you first setup the file server it's probably going to have maybe one or two uses, but over time you'll find more things to stick on it. I setup my own dropbox with seafile at one point and it worked out pretty well for me.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I have sickbeard set to download propers, it doesn't delete the episode it's replacing though. Is this how it's supposed to work? I don't see a setting to delete files.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

It does for me. Since the new file gets renamed to the same thing as the old file, it ends up replacing it. I'm guessing you use release specific information in the renaming scheme?

Ah, I don't have SABnzbd renaming downloads for me. Would that be the issue?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Are there any providers that are EU specific? I've been using Supernews for awhile but I've moved to Germany and am curious if there's another provider I should consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Primarily to get away from DMCA stuff, I pointed SAB to the eu supernews server and it's been working perfectly. Last time I poked around I'd heard some EU providers weren't quite as quick to respond to DMCA takedowns.