Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

tomm posted:

That sounds good, actually. Are incompletes really common enough to warrant a blocknews account with Supernews? I'm reading up and there's a lot of debate, a lot of people seem to prefer Astraweb but in either case everyone recommends a blocknews account. I've never had any trouble with incompletes with Newsdemon.

A 5gig blocknews account has worked fine for almost a year now. I haven't had to renew it yet. Unless you have a really bad host you'll rarely use more than a few megs to repair a broken download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Gimperial posted:

To be honest it's a pretty good deal, I've been using it since he posted it and have had great speeds and no problems with retention, at less than half what I was paying before.

He should just have posted it in SA-mart, not here.

e: and with the code it's $4.50 a month, not $7. just hope he doesn't cancel it :(

It looks like he did post it in SA-Mart, but he probably got autobanned for the 7 month rule. Bummer.

Looks like a pretty nice deal, though.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

a63548 posted:

I signed up for the unlimited Usenetnow account for testing, and will probably get a 100GB Blocknews account as well later.

I've had a Blocknews account running as my backup for a long time, they work perfectly. That 6.99 deal is extremely cheap.

Are there any other providers that offer block accounts? I'd like a second backup as well.

e: Hmm, can't seem to add 100gb to an existing account with that deal, probably have to create a new one.

zeekner fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 25, 2011

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Posts Only Secrets posted:

I just added the $6.99 deal to my existing account without any problems. Logged in, then used the purchase additional bandwidth selector on the right side.

Ah, it's there now. Before it was showing 14.99.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Yea, Just have a good primary provider, and a backup from a block provider on a separate network. Blocknews is great, but if you are already on their network you can look at an Astraweb block account too. Don't worry about how big the block is, you'll probably never reach the cap. I've had a 5gb blocknews account for at least a year, haven't even used half.

Make sure to set the block account server as "Backup" in SAB, or you'll waste it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

frameset posted:

Astraweb are offering 1TB for $50. Currently deciding where to refill my blocks, so i'm in the same boat.

I have astraweb as my unlimited, pretty happy with them. They should do pretty well as a backup server.