Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I'm still mulling over the idea of switching from an unlimited plan to a block-based plan, given the 150GB cap AT&T has pushed on their DSL subscribers. I guess I'll have to stick with SuperNews for a couple months and see if I stay under under that 92GB limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Sly Pistachio posted:

...And you're continuing to reward this greedy rear end corporation determined to take Internet access in the United States back to the stone ages instead of canceling and going to the competition because... ?

I don't know of any other industry where a company can reduce the amount of service they are providing you to a mere 3% of what it was the month before and keep prices the same. Yet I continue to see people lower their quality of life and conform their habits to these greedy ISPs instead of just telling them to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Because there is no competition. I have no access to cable at my house and AT&T is the only company offering DSL.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Sly Pistachio posted:

You can't get DSLExtreme? They're supposed to be available wherever AT&T is available.

Just checked, no dice.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

inpheaux posted:

If you have a backup server SABnzbd will only use it if an article fails to download on one of your primary servers.

So it will automatically just grab the broken bits from the secondary/backup server? That's pretty cool.

duz posted:

That's really weird since they're the same servers. I wonder if your route to supernews or their connection went flakey during that time.

Are they still a GN reseller? I noticed in the upgrade email there was a line about them owning their own servers.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

inpheaux posted:

Has to be Backup server. For non-backup servers, SABnzbd just sends stuff to the pool of active non-backup servers with an even distribution. If you have, for instance:

1) Giganews (not backup)
2) Astraweb (not backup)
3) Blocknews (backup)

Posts will be evenly distributed between Giganews / Astraweb. If one fails on Astraweb, it will NOT be tried on Giganews. It will go to Blocknews and if it fails there it will just fail outright.

Well poo poo, all this time and I never knew that. I guess I'll have to buy a few gigs from BlockNews.

quote:

Supernews isn't a GN reseller, they're a GN sub-brand. So the "they" talking is the parent company of both Giganews and Supernews. So yes, technically "they" own their own servers.

Interesting. I always thought they were just a reseller.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I'm downloading from Supernews just fine right now.

Edit: In other news, everybody is flipping out about XS Usenet giving out free lifetime accounts good for 1Mbps and 2 connections. As a result, their site is getting loving hammered. I was kind of hoping to grab one for a backup.

Shroomie fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 26, 2011

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

ambushsabre posted:

About this, does this mean that if a file is downloaded and is missing a certain number of blocks for the repair, it will go to the backup server and only download those parts of the files it needs? 1Mbps is too slow for downloading really anything, but if I can use it for small parts of failed downloads that would be awesome.

That's my understanding of it. It goes back and redownloads the broken parts from the backup.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I finally got one of those XS accounts, but it just times out when I test it in SAB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

inpheaux posted:

It looks like XSNews wasn't adequately prepared for what happens when you give out free accounts, and as such are completely swamped. Someone on IRC earlier today said he had luck just waiting a few hours and trying again.

As usual, if you expect good service out of a free account you should prepare to get super frustrated almost immediately.

I'm just going to leave it as a backup and see what happens.