Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So supernews uses the same servers as giganews right?

Reason I ask is because I recently upgraded from Comcast's 50mbps tier to their 105mbps tier. Before I would have no issue sustaining 50mbps download speeds. Now, my speed is constantly fluctuating from 80-100mbps. Would the extra 30 connections I can get with Giganews help with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Roving Reporter posted:

This is more of a Windows permissions thing but does anyone else have issues with Couchpotato or Sickbeard loading when Windows starts up?

Both shortcuts are in my Startup folder with "start as an administrator" checked, yet I manually have to click them which brings a UAC prompt.

I have no such problems with SABnzbd, so it must be something stupid that I'm overlooking.

You can relax the UAC settings or turn them off completely like I did. If you have UAC set strict enough I think it still asks even if you have the administrator box checked.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

The pHo posted:

I find my account gets deleted from there every few weeks and I have to remake it. Maybe I should log in once a week so it doesn't think I'm idle. One of the drawbacks of a non-paid account I guess.

Check your spam box. I think once a month I get an e-mail asking me to login to keep my account active.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

blargle posted:

Same here, lots of stuff failing on Supernews (Giganews reseller) lately. Looking for alternatives.

Blocknews is separate from Giganews/Supernews,right? I have it setup as a backup to my Supernews account and everything has been failing tonight.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Any word on what might be going on with Supernews?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

swagmag posted:

looking into nzbnab. it provides the tools to build your own indexer. my hosting setup doesnt allow for some of the requirements since I am more a frontend / actionscript developer. anyone else have experience setting up backend systems? if so, checkout nzbnab.

You mean newznab? I'm looking into it as well.

Does anybody know how accurate it is? I thought NZBMatrix relied on volunteers to manually index everything.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Evil Trout posted:

I was curious about writing my own NZB indexer after a few of my friends got boned by the NZBMatrix closing. I spent a few hours writing a multithreaded Ruby app to crawl newsgroups and threw it on a VPS overnight.

I was quite surprised to see about 7GB of storage was used for 24 hours of headers. Now that could definitely be lower as I'd group together the NZBs from the headers as they were complete, but it still takes quite a bit of disk space.

I was kind of hoping to run my own indexer on a VPS, but since most of them come with like 25GB of space total, I'm not sure I could swing a good retention without going dedicated. So that kind of sucks!

Aren't headers just small text files? I know there's a shitload of stuff on usenet but 7GB/day in just headers is pretty amazing.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Any updates on the Goon nzb project?

I'm looking to donate to the project and also had a question. Is a certain reg date going to be required or will it be open to all goons? If it's the former I'd like to give my buddy a heads up so he can join the forum soon.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Anyone having issues using dognzb with sickbeard? I added dognzb.cr as the URL of a news nab provider and my API key to the settings, but it won't find anything when searching. It works fine with CP and yes I'm a VIP member.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Comcast suspended their residential caps a while ago while they test tiers in some markets. Unless this has been changed back recently.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Gozinbulx posted:

Well I'm moving to a new place and thinking of getting Comcast Blast (50 mbps). Any experience with it? Does it really go that fast?

I hear people rage about Comcast all the time but at least in my area (Baltimore suburbs) their service has been fantastic. Outages are extremely rare, in fact I can't remember the last time we had one, and I've always gotten at least the advertised speed. I max out my 100mbps connection with newsgroups easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Is Headphones still supported at all? I just got it installed and I'm getting errors when searching for artists. It says "Attempt to query MusicBrainz for CHVRCHES failed (retried 3 times, caused by: HTTP Error 503: Service Unavailable)